Gran Turismo 7 Will Be More Like Classic GT Titles, Says Kazunori Yamauchi

What groundwork to bring radical change?

What is the radical change you think needs to happen? :confused:
Change to stop focusing on the cars and put more towards actual RACING.

The physics, tire and aero models are in desperate need of overhauls. There's lots of series that need better representation and their licenses are effectively going to waste.

Honestly wondering what it would be like to split the series off between tradition GT games and Sport games but I don't wanna imagine what the workload for that would look like.

GT7 looks like it takes a lot of inspiration from GT4 and I AM ALL FOR IT! :lol:

Though I will say one thing, I really hope thy have a vast revamp of the AI. Good, close racing has been missing from the GT series for a while, and that's mainly due to the incompetence of the AI. The GTS AI were annoyingly slow, and were about as aggressive as a small kitten. Things aren't looking very good if the gameplay from a while ago is anything to base on.

The fact that KAZ is gunning for the game to have a SPORT mode and a full flegded GT mode is very ambitious indeed as GT7 will be a first gen title on the PS5. So, there maybe a compromise lying somewhere in either game mode for the final article, but we wont know until we see a newer build trailer of the game. It's really unfortunate that this pandemic situation had to get in the way of the development of this game and our GT spirit and gaming fun.

Hopefully like next month or something, we see a new trailer, once Kaz stops dancing in his office from all the Concours D'Elegance gifts he gets. :D

Last edited:
I just saw the video to this thread. To me, I think this is awesome news regarding GT7. I still have not paid for GT SPORT or logged any miles in GT SPORT. I still don't even have a PS4. However, I do think this is a great deal involving GT7. A lot of us probably thought GT SPORT was kind of a breakaway game or a new take on the series. Just to hear GT7 will return GT to most of its core roots is just amazing news. I will surely be interested to see how this new title goes based on this video.

Man I want really want rally city Circuits again like Citta Da Aria, Opera Paris and Costa di Amalfi, in a Special Conditions mode.

A new Hong Kong circuit would look incredible in night, rain with Ray-tracing and HDR. The neon signs and colours.
I agree with the Hong Kong bit especially. I always saw that track as a great F1 city circuit, even if not the best location for one, it just has the right feel, and with the new tech and possibilities coming to GT7, that track would be phenomenal

- Please fix horrible AI
- Please include 'real racing'. I've been playing GT ever since 5 and played hundreds of hours, but really. Why always start from near-last position? Bring us qualifications, warmups, etc
- Please bring us some real damage! Visual and actual!
- Please add single-make challenges like GT5 Prologue had for every car!

Other than that, I think GT7 will deliver - Graphics-wise, GTS is really close to the real thing, so adding dynamic time of day and weather effects (Which they probably will, they have shown such tech in the past, now with PS5 power, they can make everything work together hopefully). I love the 'style', the music, the presentation, all of it. As a game it rocks! But when I want to do some single player racing, I switch to ACC..

There's lots of series that need better representation and their licenses are effectively going to waste.
Ah, you do know that the original title/intention was 'Gran Turismo - The Real Driving Simulator'! Not racing simulator, though racing is part of driving, and cars are part of driving too, normal cars, not just racing cars ;)

I think PD realised, and probably had the intention, that Gran Turismo would be more than just a racing game for the longevity of the game with each version. So they have also built upon the basics and added features as time has gone on, and the technology allowed, and it seems to have been quite successful. ;)

You know the great thing about having a game with so many ways to play, is that you only play the parts that appeal to you. ;) I have never raced online with GT Sport for example. :)

That they added more features after release to get GT Sport closer to a 'normal' GT game shows to me at least, that they underestimated how much people wanted more beyond just racing, and how little of an actual 'game' there was with just online racing. GT Sport with just the racing option would be not worth the money, imho, and have less sales without other options in the game as it would appeal to less people. And appeal to as many people as possible leads to more people prepared to buy. ;)

The online racing aspect will be a part of GT7, whether they allow GT7 owners to be part of the current GT Sport racing, or separate, and maybe replacing it, time will tell when we get more details. And if that is all someone wants to do in GT7, no doubt the other aspects of the game will be easy to ignore like in GT Sport. ;)

The physics, tire and aero models are in desperate need of overhauls.
You would think that such things would be updated with each version, and the tie up with Michelin seems to indicate that they will have some more accurate relation to the way tyres work in real life. Some things may have been limited by processing power too, so time will tell as to what they update/change.

There's lots of series that need better representation and their licenses are effectively going to waste.
And if there was a market for such things someone will have already have paid for the rights and have games out.

Licences would probably be expensive to have multiple racing series in one game too, but beyond F1 and World Rally, I don't see many other games dedicated to a specific race series, maybe NASCAR, (having just looked to see if there were any) but dare I say it, outside of the US, NASCAR is not that big a thing.

Last edited:
I mean damn, I have extremely high hopes which I should probably temper a little bit. I want the car selection and the sheer number of things to do, thrown into a great track selection and incredibly higher quality engine/exhaust sounds. If latter years of GT:S are anything to go by they were finally starting to get it with good sound design.

I really hope I can live the dream of turdbox to racer again in my 1.0L 3 door special edition Nissan Micra or my 800cc K-car, especially with how far it seems the upgrade system for cars goes, from "entry" to "extreme", and ALSO the fact it seems exhaust upgrades are back to changing (Improving?) the audio note of the vehicles again...my mouth salivates with potential, especially if we get a much bigger plethora of cars again, not saying 1000+ plus but a nice solid 4-500 with unique engine and exhaust sounds would be wet dream reality for me. That and plenty of fun tracks to mess around on again and a fun career mode!

The car collection formula peaked in the PS2 days and GT's philosophy is in desperate need of radical change. Sport had the groundwork to bring that change but the stubbornness of fans refusing to embrace the more focused change of direction wouldn't allow it to happen.
Hang on, stubbornness? That's a rash generalisation. Look, I was optimistic when GT Sport came out and I wanted to embrace the change, but the experience hasn't resonated with me at all. GT Sport will be a forgettable game due to it's lack of rewards and many pathetic flaws which prevented it from reaching legendary status. To say that people outright "refused" to embrace the change isn't true. Some gave the game a chance and then said it wasn't the right choice.

The physics, tire and aero models are in desperate need of overhauls. There's lots of series that need better representation and their licenses are effectively going to waste.
No no, we don't want GT to be like that. It doesn't need an overhaul but rather a revision. GT can't go towards full-on simulation or it will lose it's appeal. I know many of us here would like that but most outside this community would not.

Last edited:
Honestly wondering what it would be like to split the series off between tradition GT games and Sport games but I don't wanna imagine what the workload for that would look like.
If they have the online racing aspect as part of GT7, then there would be no need for a separate game like GT Sport. If they did try that though, I doubt they would be able to charge top $ like they did with GT Sport, when a much larger game, in terms of content, would be costing the same price.

GT Sport was the only GT on PS4, and so they just treated it as a normal game with regards to price. Have to put the same resources in as with GT Sport, and probably not be able to charge a 'normal' game price, and have a large part of the potential buyers choosing one game over another may also indicate it may not be a good idea to split the games in this way.

If they could have the 'full' GT7 with online racing, and another version for say 1/5th of the price for just online racing, and it was easy to work on both versions, as they would be basically the same, then maybe it would be a good idea, but then you lose money from those who would only buy the Online only version, as they would probably have paid for the full GT game, just to get that part of the game they were interested in.

Just my opinion of course. If they crunched the numbers, and they think they could get away with it, there would be two versions. :lol:

I mean damn, I have extremely high hopes which I should probably temper a little bit.
Think a slightly enhanced GT Sport and hopefully there would be many surprises, and few disappointments. ;) :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting to read how Kaz has recalled GT's 1-4 for a solid career mode rather than the recent PS3 instalments. GT4 was the gold standard and the trailer for GT7 clearly shows PD taking inspiration from it.
Kaz was very frustrated with the PS3 hardware,and it shows in gt5,very inconsistent game while gt4 keeps running laps around the ps3 games in terms of consistency.
Very promising to hear kaz talking about the older games,hoping he delivers

Shocked at all the negative responses to GT Sport on here... And some of you have the cheek to slate it whilst saying you haven’t even tried racing online :banghead:.
Honestly guys, wtf?!?
Yes GT Sport was a bit different to the classic ‘model’, but it was still very much Gran Turismo. I can tell a lot of people commenting didn’t give this game more than a couple hours play time. One of my early criticisms of GT Sport was the fact u had to be connected to there server in order to have access to everything, now this may have been an issue for some back in 2017 but not today! Honestly if I was to load this game up without access to the server i wouldn’t recognise it, it’s evolved sooooo much. As for the online racing, admittedly I was a bit late to the party, I wanted to complete all the campaign driving missions, of which there are a ton, not to mention the extra stuff PD seemed to throw in every month, new cars, new tracks, new missions/cups etc.
Anyway, when I felt confident enough to go race online I cudnt believe what i had been missing, Yh there’s an official FIA thingy, and daily races etc but the gold for me was the race lobby’s. Maybe it’s just me but there’s nothing better then getting into your finely tuned motor and going on a cruise or roll up on ppl and try a bait a race, gotta watch out for the sleepers tho! I absolutely love the race lobby’s, jumping in, trying to dominate with top times or really clean slick driving, seeing other drivers livery creations, exchanging tune info etc. There is so much there, honestly everyone disappointed with GT Sport should go give it another PROPER LOOK! Also it would be an absolutely crime to not mention the engine and environment sounds :bowdown:. You can hear everything, literally. The monstrous raw power of the F40 engine or the Hi-tech air sucking sounds of the 300Z, it’s a symphonic masterpiece. PD can take all the time they want on GT7 cos Sport has plenty of life left. Oh Yh not to forget the VR experience which is amazing, yes it’s limited to time trial or 1v1 race but remember when this came out VR was a bit of a gimmick. If there’s one thing GT7 must must have, it’s VR- period. The option to play the whole game in VR would be the holy grail.

Just out of interest. What is the main reason that people buy gran turismo, as in, is it for the cars and simple experience and pleasure of driving these unique or unusual cars on race tracks and exotic locations or is it to race in esports events like the sports mode and increase driver ratings with a view to becoming a high level player with the secret desire to become regional or national champion and maybe even a world tour competitor???

Also, what do you think keeps people playing this game after it's purchased, in other words, what stops people getting sick and tired of it.

I buy it to drive regular cars in all sorts of maps. Would like more modification options like forza horizon though.
There are already plenty of racing sims around.

GT could do it all i think if they wanted. I'm not getting a ps5 just for gt7 though. Maybe not until the price bottoms out or it comes out on pc.

Last edited:
So great to hear this. It probably won't bring me back to the Playstation ecosystem, I bailed after GT5 and GT6 were extremely disappointing to me. But, if there is enough good news about the Physics, and if it supports VR, and a lot (a LOT) of other big IFs, then maybe GT7 will be the title that brings me back to Playstation and GT.

I buy it cos I want to see the best graphics with the best sounds. GT has always been a bench mark in gaming history.

Let’s be honest, it’s the closest thing a lot of us will ever get to when it comes to thrashing cars around a track. This is why full game VR is a must for GT7!

As for trying to become an ESport champion etc, it’s great that GT Sport lays it all out for you to take part etc, but your NEVER gonna get close to the top ranking guys unless you invest in yourself with stuff like a good wheel, pedals, seat etc. Oh and a lot of practice!

It may not be important but I'm pretty excited to see the soundtrack of Gran Turismo 7, I hope they keep those jazzy and lounge OSTs from GT5 and GT6 along with the great menu and race OST from GT4 and GT2.
Well, one thing is (almost) for sure: it'll be headlined by Daiki Kasho, since he now works at PD since a few years ago. Not just in the race BGMs, but possibly in the menus, the post-race jingles (he did the ones in GT Sport's GT League and Sport Mode), and in other aspects of the game.

And I'm really excited to hear it all.

Looking forward! Mr. Yamauchi is making best ever racing sim (or close to sim). And YES, need more japanese cars, dozens of Skylines, Legacys etc. Im not joking, it's great! hope they will do it

Shocked at all the negative responses to GT Sport on here... And some of you have the cheek to slate it whilst saying you haven’t even tried racing online :banghead:.
Honestly guys, wtf?!?
Yes GT Sport was a bit different to the classic ‘model’, but it was still very much Gran Turismo. I can tell a lot of people commenting didn’t give this game more than a couple hours play time. One of my early criticisms of GT Sport was the fact u had to be connected to there server in order to have access to everything, now this may have been an issue for some back in 2017 but not today! Honestly if I was to load this game up without access to the server i wouldn’t recognise it, it’s evolved sooooo much.
Sounds like you were not around in 2017 if you are surprised at any negativity to GT Sport. ;)

Why was having to be connected to the server a problem in 2017 but not now? Without an internet connection there are still parts of the game that can't be played, and/or have limited functionality. Having nearly all the game data saved to the server too is also problematic. As someone who lost access to hundreds of hours worth of created content because PD's servers messed up, connection to the internet should be a backup, not the main storage. My data should be on my device.

I just edited a livery offline, with only the built in decals, because all the decals I have 'collected' are not accessible without an internet connection. I did a custom race with no internet connection. The saved livery was supposedly saved whilst I was offline, but no sign when I connect back up. The credits I earned for the offline race are not added to my total when I reconnect. Without an internet connection there is not much to do, and if you do some stuff, it disappears when you connect.

I'm hoping that GT7 will not be working with the same 'always connected' way of GT Sport.

Thanks for the reply. I have wondered for some time who this game is aimed at. PD is in the business of making money so like any corporation they must do their due diligence and create games that sell and make money. As you can see below from their corporate details as of dec 2011 they had sold 66 million units worldwide. From launch to June 2019, Gran Turismo Sport had sold an estimated eight million copies.[57]

If you were to multiple those sales out by the cost per unit it equals some seriously big money.

From wiki:
Polyphony Digital is an internal Japanese first-party video game development studio of Sony Interactive Entertainment, operated under SIE Worldwide Studios, which in turn is owned by multinational conglomerate Sony. Originally a development group within Sony Computer Entertainment known as Polys Entertainment,[2][3] after the success of Gran Turismo in Japan, they were granted greater autonomy and their name changed to Polyphony Digital. Polyphony currently has 5 studios in Japan, the Netherlands, and the United States

PD do not communicate very well at all and so you would have to guess what their royal purpose is. My perspective is that PD is profit orientated so they are majorly interested in creating something that sells to more and more people, which means trying to be appealing to the gamers worldwide if they can. From what I can see from what they have said they are more interested in how it looks and less interested in how it plays. That doesn't mean they don't make game dynamics better, they do but I think they concentrate on "looking" realistic. if they are looking at how it conforms to their japanese heritage then it might indicate that looks not substance is their royal purpose. You might disagree!

Anyway, what's confusing is they promote this game as the real racing simulator and have very good daily and FIA championship races and have aligned themselves with real world championship race drivers and with the sports controlling body. The racing competition seems to appeal to a small percentage of players compared to the total number of unit sales. I would describe this small percentage as keen racing enthusiasts. The confusion is that except for the appearance of being realistic the racing is a fantasy land of make believe. This game is nothing like real racing.

So I can't work out if it's all just marketing and puffery or whether they seriously think it a real race simulator.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************
Polyphony Digital Inc. is a subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., and is a software developer entity. Originally a development group within Sony Computer Entertainment, the creators of “Gran Turismo ” established Polyphony Digital Inc. in 1998.

Cumulative sales of PlayStation® software titles developed by Polyphony Digital Inc. have exceeded 65.89 million units worldwide (as of Dec 2011) across the “Gran Turismo” series.

General Information
Entity Name: Polyphony Digital Inc.
Established: April 2nd 1998
Yamatane Fukagawa Building No.1 2F
1-1-1 Echujima, Koto-ku
Tokyo
135-0044
[Fukuoka Atelier]
Fukuoka SRP Center Building 5F
2-1-22 Momochihama, Sawara-ku
Fukuoka City
814-0001
Capital: 10 Million Yen
Employees: Approx. 110
Business Description: Planning and development of game software, and operation of surrounding services
Representative: President Kazunori Yamauchi
Board Members: Kazunori Yamauchi Representative Director
Kazuo Hirai Director
Shuhei Yoshida Director
Kiyoshi Akutsu Auditor

Last edited:
I'm likely to ruffle some feathers here, but...

I'm wanting more customization (kits, interior, rims) in GT7 (& all other sims for that matter...). They exist IRL, so Idkw they're restricted to arcade racers such as NFS and relics like MCLA. It's an aspect of car culture that's grossly under represented in sims.

I hope we get more/better online multiplayer options, like...
  • Playlist/Series - So the host can set up a series/season of races w/ a points system. Accumlating credits to the victor(s*).
  • Teams* - So up to 8 teams of two can compete, gathering points for their team.
  • Clubs - So players can have their own online clubs for whatever the choose. Drag, drift, race, stance, style/liveries/itasha, trucks, rally, etc.
  • Drift - They added it to offline where it was easily forgotten. But why not have it online w/ a points system? Would go well in the above-mentioned playlist/series feature.
  • Real Time Time Trials - Think WRC/Dirt Rally, non-contact, where players in proximity disappear.
  • Open Track - Where tracks w/ multiple layouts can be driven freely without borders. For people who want to cruise, drift, take pictures or just practice multiple routes at random (Yamigawa + Miyabi Open, Blue Moon Bay + Infield Open, Tokyo Inner + Outer Open, etc.).
  • VR - Sorely disappointed w/ GT Sports lack of VR multiplayer. As a first-party PS5 game, GT7 NEEDS to remedy this. PLEASE.

I'd like to see the return of an updated Course Maker w/ deeper features & more environmental/ambient themes. Static open environments like a ship yard, industrial area, abandoned airport, mining area (rally/off-road), etc. for free-roam and track creations would be game changing in a GT game.

I'd like to see more done w/ Rally, w/ tighter, more technical, point-to-point routes/time trials w/ varying surface & weather types (GT Sport had Snow Tires, but we never got snow weather or the never-released snow version of Fisherman's Ranch).

Go-Karts and a return of Go-Kart tracks like Kart Space would be cool.

I'm personally happy w/ GT's physics, and don't see too much need for change outside of maybe body roll and lift. But It's a driving simulator on a home console. So i don't think it needs to go "ultra-simmy" on the physics to the point it feels impossible to play on a Dual-Sense controller. It still should be fun, accessible to a degree, and encourage entry level players into motorsports. Ultra-sims should return w/ PCARS 4 & the next Assetto Corsa, as that's their identity, thus what they're known for. However, I wouldn't be opposed to Kaz & the team making those kinda physics available via an options menu.

Allowing us to cycle through the HUD, telemetry data, and/or clear everything altogether while racing would be welcomed. It's something I grew fond of while playing DriveClub & PCARS and should definitely be implemented in every GT going forward imo. An option to remove the steering wheel/driver hands should coincide with this as well.

Lastly, Kaz should look towards CodeMasters & hire someone from there for their A.I. Then also include qualifying for events.

Gran Turismo 7 is a game at the end of the day, and games should be fun & offer variety for all players. The more tools given to the user, the more dynamic the game becomes and the more enjoyment there is to be had. Much appreciation to those who see this and can understand the potential of these features.

TL;DR - Give us more variety.

I just saw the video to this thread. To me, I think this is awesome news regarding GT7. I still have not paid for GT SPORT or logged any miles in GT SPORT. I still don't even have a PS4. However, I do think this is a great deal involving GT7. A lot of us probably thought GT SPORT was kind of a breakaway game or a new take on the series. Just to hear GT7 will return GT to most of its core roots is just amazing news. I will surely be interested to see how this new title goes based on this video.

As a real fan of the series I planned to only buy a PS4 for GT. It took too long to release so I ended up buying one for other reasons, but honestly GT Sport felt so much different than any other GT it was a welcome addition. I know it's too late in the game to get a PS4, but if you end up buying a PS5 before GT7 I encourage you to try it out.

It may not be important but I'm pretty excited to see the soundtrack of Gran Turismo 7, I hope they keep those jazzy and lounge OSTs from GT5 and GT6 along with the great menu and race OST from GT4 and GT2.
I Love too Gran Turismo soundtracks and main menu music.

Last edited:
I look forward to a return to having more of an emphasis on JDM cars/culture like the original GT games. I want to try every year of R32-R35 and all the other JDM greats. fingers crossed.

Once again if the AI isn't on par with what the competition can offer (ACC, Codemasters games, etc...) then the whole idea of any career is completely useless.
I don't understand the first post too, why make challenges and time trials easy? Aren't they extremely easy in the newer games? If you can finish them in one or maximum two tries then the difficulty is off. If the talk about going back to older GT's is true, then it's necessary to have hard solo challenges in career mode just like before, this is what made the older GT's great.
When online didn't exist back then, the only way to keep players interested was to create a robust career mode with hard but challenging missions. After GT5 and the introduction of online, you know how career mode went from there, until literally with GT Sport and its joke of a career mode (non existent at the start too).
It's good to be reminiscent of old times because they had a lot of good things that disappeared today.

Why isn't GT3 there? GT3 race OST is the best in my opinion.

Back