Gran Turismo 7 Will Be More Like Classic GT Titles, Says Kazunori Yamauchi

The fact that he specifically mentions Gran Turismo 1-4 makes this so much more exciting than I previously thought. The career/progression and overall quality of those original four games are what made GT5 & GT6 a disappointment for me by comparison. It's almost as if Kaz acknowledges this, and is building a game based on his rediscoveries. Would be icing on the cake if we could use VR throughout career mode.

I think as soon as it was officially announced and called 'GT7' it was obvious what kind of GT title it was going to be. Having said that, GT Sport has eventually morphed into being a regular GT-type game with all the updates over the years. I can't imaging GT7 feeling vastly different to GTS as it is now.

Funny, I like it the other way around. Okay, some challenges in the 'old' games were (almost) impossible, but the missions and circuit experiences in GTsport are a way to easy. I liked the Vettel challenges for example :).
I recently re-played GT5 and some of the license tests are sooooooo hard and annoying

Sounds like you were not around in 2017 if you are surprised at any negativity to GT Sport.

My brother bought me the game as a Birthday present, asked me if I were sure I wanted it cos of the ‘lack of GT Mode’, and even had the cheek to include the receipt with game incase I wanted to return it...:confused:

Sorry to hear about your bad server experience, that sucks and if happened to me I think I might cry. Out of curiosity though how can you get by without an internet connection when playing these days? There are so many games that require a day 1 patch to clean things up that surely it’s a given: you need to be online in some capacity in order to play?

I think as soon as it was officially announced and called 'GT7' it was obvious what kind of GT title it was going to be. Having said that, GT Sport has eventually morphed into being a regular GT-type game with all the updates over the years. I can't imaging GT7 feeling vastly different to GTS as it is now.

It will be a reskin of a game much like going from gt5 - gt6 just a handful of new tracks / vehicles / career races and ray tracing (yawn). The best way to approach it would be to buy it a year after release it might by that point have some decent amounts of fresh content... I regret buying GTS day 1 it was a mistake. It will be an epic game by the end of its update cycle and has good bones in GTS to build off so there is a lot of promise, but gone are the days of buying a fully fledged GT game at launch. Im not sure haptics and higher frame rate are enough to suck me in for an early purchase if its mostly the same old cars and tracks, having flogged GTS to death over 2 years I really need a bit of hiatus.

As long as being more like classic titles doesn't mean multiple almost impossible license and mission challenges, I will be very much happy.

So you mean you want 7 to be easy? No one learns anything when a game is easy. Also Gran Turismo was build on almost impossible licences and challenges, for some this is the only reason they bought Sport to find it lacked a challenge except online. Not everyone wants to play online, not everyone is the same. I'll hazard a guess you're young, can I ask have you ever played GT 1 or GT 2?

So you mean you want 7 to be easy? No one learns anything when a game is easy. Also Gran Turismo was build on almost impossible licences and challenges, for some this is the only reason they bought Sport to find it lacked a challenge except online. Not everyone wants to play online, not everyone is the same. I'll hazard a guess you're young, can I ask have you ever played GT 1 or GT 2?
I don't think he meant 7 to be easy. And you would be surprised but not everyone wants to spend weeks just to gold licenses or missions to obtain exclusive cars.
GT1 and 2 licenses weren't that hard to gold. It was more of a handling issue that made some of them hard. I know I golded everything without major problems, but than this Integra one turn made me almost quit the whole gold thing. And that is not really what some find fun.
I think GT6 has the right level of difficulty when it comes to licenses and missions. And I think it's because the cars handles better than in it's predecessors. You still have this absolutely insane Red Bull challenges and frankly they are not fun to gold.

Because I do not have a PlayStation 4 and haven't played GT SPORT, that's why I have been silent in discussing GT SPORT. Lots of you all still managed to play and (hopefully) enjoy GT SPORT. I even watched streams of this game to see how others are playing. Now, to what I initially wanted to post.

I have but one bit of concern regarding GT7 in looking back on past GTs. I Felt like part of the knocks on GT5 and GT6 was about most of the different race types seemed lazy. I felt like GT5 and GT6 had so few races because I felt like those two games relied on online play to offer many more race types outside of the offline game. That's cool when the servers are open for such games. However, what happens once the official online servers close? How much game do you have outside of the limitless online action? I am mostly a classic thinker on gaming, so while there is no problem with online multiplayer, I recall when we still had great racing challenges in Gran Turismos 1-4 even without official online multiplayer. I would think it would be great if GT7 had a solid offline package while still offering a great online package. My key word here is longevity. I want a game that's going to last even when the official servers shut down for a given game. That's part of the reason why some of my gaming interests have waned over recent years thinking about today's gaming landscape as opposed to times past.

I said a bit more than what I wanted to, but at least I've expressed my concerns proper.

From a desing-decision point, it is clear that a modern UI like GT6 with a big campaign mode as GT4's, many challenges and a big variety of cars and tracks with a physics model close to the GT6 but with a new tire model could become a great game indeed. PS5 will sell much more if GT7 succeeds in making a deserving successor to the older traditional games.

For anyone thinking I like GT6's physics model than GTSport's, I haven't played the latest one and wrote only for the previous games that I have extensively played since GT1.

Last edited:
A classic GT. Perfect. Nostalgia comes to mind.

I read the Octane article. The problem is I didn't understand myself.

It seems that the English keyboard still doesn't have the accent circumflex.

This is for you @Famine to correct raison d'etre into raison d'être.

eyalxjF.jpg

My brother bought me the game as a Birthday present, asked me if I were sure I wanted it cos of the ‘lack of GT Mode’, and even had the cheek to include the receipt with game incase I wanted to return it...:confused:

Sorry to hear about your bad server experience, that sucks and if happened to me I think I might cry. Out of curiosity though how can you get by without an internet connection when playing these days? There are so many games that require a day 1 patch to clean things up that surely it’s a given: you need to be online in some capacity in order to play?
Thank you, the loss of data was a big hit, and discouraged me from creating as many livery's as I was doing, if all that work can disappear just like that with no chance of recovering from it. :(

Downloading updates, and having to be connected to play a game, and/or save your progress, are different things. :rolleyes: :banghead:

I have a 1Tb PS4, and apart from the game installation, GT Sport, as far as I can see, takes little advantage of the extra space. They could let you save your progress, any and all pics made of any type by default, rather than having to do it manually. Any decals discovered and saved to your collection should be available within your PS4 when offline.

I look forward about Gt7 capturing the "vibe" of GTs 1-4. I really like this focus. But as some pointed, the race itself must look like real race. Please, no more suicide divings to pass 10 cars in one lap, and then chasing the rabbit for another 4 laps...

Realistically he’s not going to reveal big information about the game to a random publication before revealing it through Sony channels

I give you this point but GT Planet is not just a ordinary magazine and surely deserves exclusive headlines :)

I think - the way he is silent about the crucial points - that a GT7 is likely for either end of 2021 or early 2022 and yap that makes me sad as well
with Forza 8 also not around the corner....

It's me or the Gran Turismo 7 advertisement in the PS5 store was retired.

Horizon 2, FF16, Ratchet & Clank are still there

It's me or the Gran Turismo 7 advertisement in the PS5 store was retired.

Horizon 2, FF16, Ratchet & Clank are still there
It's not just you.

Either it's a bug, they're ready for an announcement soon, or the game is seriously not coming until 2022.

As long as being more like classic titles doesn't mean multiple almost impossible license and mission challenges, I will be very much happy.

Impossible licenses?

They're not impossible, some are just damn hard.
I am stuck on GT3's S-6 ATM.

It’s really good to see him mention 1-4. GT4 was ahead of it’s time and is my personal favourite. That was GT at it’s peak in terms of single player imo.

Well, one thing is (almost) for sure: it'll be headlined by Daiki Kasho, since he now works at PD since a few years ago. Not just in the race BGMs, but possibly in the menus, the post-race jingles (he did the ones in GT Sport's GT League and Sport Mode), and in other aspects of the game.

And I'm really excited to hear it all.
If had a dollar for every time you mentioned Daiki Kasho, I'd be rich!

I'm trying not to hype myself up but the fact that Kaz mentioned GT1-4 specifically.....

Last edited:
The only reason I played gran Turismo at all was because I owned a PlayStation and I have raced cars competitively for real (still do but race motorcycles now) and love racing of any kind. However unlike real racing which is highly regulated and controlled for safety reasons the standard of sportsmanship and quality of driving on this game is pretty bad. Basically you have millions of emotionally immature people from a heap of countries around the world pretending to be real race drivers who believe they're playing on an accurate race simulator and each of whom has their own interpretation of what clean and fair racing is. The game has no consequences so it doesn't matter how you drive really.

It's not the physics. Even people like Hamilton who have access to a real and extremely accurate simulator owned by his own F1 team which has realistic physics and accurate data logging doesn't like to use simulators at all because they have no feel and are not accurate enough. So what hope has a game got.

Like real racing you learn to adapt to the environment and wire your brain to the visual cues of the game and the "feel" you get from steering wheel etc. So while the physics aren't real accurate it's not a problem. the really good drivers have just learnt how to exploit the game physics to be quick based on load transfer principles (which while true don't really work exactly like this). The issue with this racing game is not just putting up with emotionally immature drivers, and the lack of consequences, it also has a penalty system that is ridiculous. Everyone that's played this game online knows so there is no need to go into that.

So I was hoping that the new game would address some of the complaints from the esport racing enthusiasts especially with the penalty system and the SR and DR and the issue of multiple accounts. However that doesn't seem to be the focus of the new game. The focus seems to be picture quality and realistic looking scenery not racing. From this article which is also from the octane interview by Derek Strictland : https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7763...ne-focused-to-traditional-like-gt1/index.html

"
Gran Turismo 7 won't be heavily online-focused like Gran Turismo Sport, and Polyphony plans to push PS5 ray tracing to its limits.
Derek Strickland
@DeekeTweak
PUBLISHED SUN, JAN 31 2021 5:37 PM CST
Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7763...ne-focused-to-traditional-like-gt1/index.html "

He says; "
Gran Turismo 7 should set a new high watermark for the PlayStation 5. Developer Polyphony Digital plans to use GT7 to fully exemplify and flex the PS5's power with high-end performance targets like 4K 60FPS, high-fidelity textures, and enhanced lighting effects via ray-traced visuals.

Kazsays "In the evolution from PS4 to PS5, what we have been waiting for is the realization of real-time path tracing. Path tracing is a CG simulation method that is also called ray tracing, and faithfully reflects the reflection and reflection of the subject on the light source. CG for movies has been around for a long time, but it was difficult to obtain the computing power required to operate it in real-time in a video game console. Being able to surpass that with PS5 has greatly improved expressiveness."

Strictland also writes this: "
In a recent interview with Octane Japan, Polyphony CEO Kazunori Yamauchi confirmed GT7 won't follow GT Sport's online-driven esports focus. Instead, GT7 will be a more mainline game similar to the original Gran Turismo."

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7763...ne-focused-to-traditional-like-gt1/index.html

Personally, I was hoping that they might fix the problems with the racing but it appears that's not their focus. I don't quite understand this really, they are making a race game that has a huge number of racing flaws but they don't seem care. Just as long as it LOOKS real.

Back