Gran Turismo HD officially canned - Next stop is GT5

• Thread starter amar212
  • 1,127 comments
There was a rumour in nuts magazine that there may be a track designer as a download, also the other rumours in nuts magazine was that these may be in the game:

Online car trading
Spectator mode

I have nothing recent to share, but I've seen an "X-Play" rerun. It was a rerun of the 2006 Tokyo Game Show back in September. I think most of it was on the XBOX360 from this rerun. The joke Morgan Webb made for Forza Motorsport 2 was, "...just don't make us pay for every car... Gran Turismo style." I normally say that maybe there should be some other stuff. I was kind of thinking if maybe (this may not happen) if there were PS3 discs featuring cars and tracks for GTHD. Imagine paying for these CD copies where you can just simply download the content to your PS3 and not have to pay for every last car. You're still paying for it all, just that you have a collection to work with.

But again, it's likely this won't happen. I'm not an online gamer anyways. If anything, nothing wrong with GTHD Classic for the non-online gamer. Just have to hope that most of the cars offered for GTHD Premium find their way into Classic (and for most people, especially Ferrari).

My bet is that They'll make the game really difficult and charge people if they haven't the skill to unlock cars. Just a guess

Spectator mode is when you join an online game, but rather than enter it yourself, you see the game from either on track cameras, or from the viewpoints of the cars in the race, just to watch.

I'm betting that the later release of GT HD this summer means lots of content in both sides of the game, with 60 or more Premium Edition cars and 4 or 5 tracks, and hundreds of GT4's cars and about all the tracks, with the rest available as downloads for some kind of price.

If people remember PGR3 has a Spectator mode, even TDU has a type of Spectator mode, while Forza Motorsport 2 is getting its own Spectator mode. So that’s what the whole Spectator mode is like on the other console of games, but I reckon GTHD will have a better Spectator mode then Forza Motorsport 2 and PGR3.

What do you think GTHD's Spectator Mode could possibly bring to the table that its competition may not have, TVR&Ferrari_Fan? Or are you just hoping GTHD has a nice package lined up?

i am pretty sure the 500 cars in your gt4 garage, u only drive like 10 of them. so in gthd u would buy the cars you only want right? and i am sure there is a test drive before you buy. + on top of that, the online racing is going to free! i could care less if they charge for cars.

I had my chance to play with the PlayStation 3 when I was at Wal-Mart this past Saturday. MotorStorm was one of only two demos on the system. The graphical capabilities as well as the sound and environment attributes all contribute to a wonderful system package. This has me wondering. To what lengths of graphical and environmental conditions will Polyphony Digital be able to exploit and capitalize with their Gran Turismo franchise? We are all learning new details as we go, but I just have to wonder what kind of magic PD could create. The system itself offers lots of opportunities for PD to make something special. Question is, could we perhaps see some new things featured to help Polyphony Digital elevate GTHD and GT5 to heights unfathomable?

We at least know what the PS3 can do if we go to kiosks and stuff to play game demos on the PS3. Care to continue this discussion?

With a potent CPU, six or so additional processors and a robust GPU, I expect a lot from GT5. I also expect a lot from GT HD. Since this will be a proving ground, and Polyphony Digital is Sony's pet company, I expect a lot of support for Kaz and the lads to help them get a lot from this insanely powerful system.

Take the example of Warhawk, which is already using the six SPEs available - one runs the OS and net stuff. How many Incognito is using at once isn't clear, but some sort of octopiler is doing a lot for them. SPEs are handling specific tasks like artificial intelligence, physics, and who knows what else, and coordination is working well with the CPU.

With Gran Turismo, the demands are a little more focused, which I think would allow for some great "living world" effects. Well animated crowds and background effects like flags and vapor. Detailed car physics, including drifting for those yahoos. Damage physics. Unique artificial intelligence between drivers. Lifelike audio processing. The potential for great things on the PS3 is almost unlimited compared to what we've had before from any source, consoles or PCs.

The potential for great things on the PS3 is almost unlimited compared to what we've had before from any source, consoles or PCs.

Consoles are ok, but i wouldnt compare them to top end PC's.

Dont get me wrong i think the PS3 is awsome (compared to other consoles), but the top end PC's will out perform the PS3.

Yes, I hope Amar's hunch is right, that PD will offer the downloadable cars and tracks as only an option, as in for those who don't want to take the time to unlock, aren't good enough etc. I would truly be heartbroken if I were forced to "purchase" those beautiful new Ferraris!

Yes, I hope Amar's hunch is right, that PD will offer the downloadable cars and tracks as only an option, as in for those who don't want to take the time to unlock, aren't good enough etc. I would truly be heartbroken if I were forced to "purchase" those beautiful new Ferraris!

Meh, I'm not all that worried about it as this game is clearly a stopgap/test for GTV. They are going to see how far people are willing to go. If we're not willing to buy cars/tracks then they know that too much downloadable content is bad. If people go for it, you can bet GTV will retail for maybe 25$ and then you'll have to buy all the cars/tracks you really want. With more being added on all the time.

I'm not a big fan of having to actually pay more for the cars after I've bought the game. Unlocking/purchasing them through the game is a different story.

I'm not so sure that we're going to see GT HD as an almost empty game. It seems that after the news came out about Sony's initial plans for GT HD and worldwide complaining began, they began changing their tune. Kaz in his very next interviews stated that no plans had been finalized as far as content, and then came the news that the game had been delayed several months.

If what I suspect is right, Polyphony is loading the game up with GT4 cars and tracks, and the 30 GT5 cars and 2 tracks, along with the other goodies, and we'll see it for $40-60 when it hits the shelves. It may even have that first build of damage and A.I. Of course I have no idea, and the plan may still be the same, but we'll learn more in the coming weeks as people clamor for more info from these sneaky guys.

As for PCs, the resolution might be a lot greater, but I think the day that PC graphics blow away consoles is over. I can't imagine a PC CPU which can match the Cell in performance potential, with its seven SPE processors all running at 3.2ghz. I'm unaware of any F1 game which looks as good as Formula 1 on the PS3, and the gameplay is probably as good as well. PCs will always be great gaming machines and all, but I think we're hitting a graphics plateau, and the only thing which will increase is some texture quality and active objects on screen.

What if all the Classic content is included but you have to download any premium content? it was a possible hunch I had all along, I wonder if it's true. That'd make the cost of the game far more variable for me, particularly as I don't expect it to retail for less than £40/€50/$50.

steep. Sure $5 on it's own is not a lot of cash, but would I go and shove a fiver in the shredding machine, no.

Before you do that L4S give me the fiver so i can put it towards buying new motors, i will just have to work a bit more overtime to raise the funds to buy the cars.

Sorry for the O/T

As for PCs, the resolution might be a lot greater, but I think the day that PC graphics blow away consoles is over. I can't imagine a PC CPU which can match the Cell in performance potential, with its seven SPE processors all running at 3.2ghz. I'm unaware of any F1 game which looks as good as Formula 1 on the PS3, and the gameplay is probably as good as well. PCs will always be great gaming machines and all, but I think we're hitting a graphics plateau, and the only thing which will increase is some texture quality and active objects on screen.

Well Intel already has 4 core CPU's just available now, proper DX10 support and usage is almost here, IMO in 2 years PC's will fully out-perform PS3/360, in 3-4 year I think PC's will just blow them away.

Not that this is bad or unexpected though.

Yes but were talking about now. And anyway by then microsoft plobably would've launched X-box 720 lol

Back on Topic
Do you think there will be anymore D1GP cars? Loved the Neons lol:D

OT-> Wow, KY 3'08 min. on Sarthe II! Kicking Sebastian Loeb's butt on that one (3'11 min.).

-> I'm glad that SL feels pleased about the development of the ongoing GTHD, I hope his rally expertise will contribute PD on improving the rally aspects of future GT's. (:

Probably a, the other answers are just daft, even by PD's standards!:crazy:
Can't wait to see the new video... At present I'm just praying there's some AA that gets or can be added to the game, some shots look terrible without it.

I'd be inclined to say "A" on a give-or-take basis. This 350GT Skyline isn't all that exciting if you ask me. This was more of a car to basically hold over people anticipating a true Skyline. Kind of like GT4 Prologue to hold us over until a true GT3 sequel comes to form. Since this car isn't all that exciting to me (at least for a Skyline), I probably wouldn't expect an entire world of these in GTHD.

At present I'm just praying there's some AA that gets or can be added to the game, some shots look terrible without it.
Some people just can't be pleased. :P

I'm with John on the 350GT. Give me an R34 any day. All versions.

Back