Gran Turismo HD officially canned - Next stop is GT5

• Thread starter amar212
  • 1,127 comments
Or better stil an R33! :-)
It sounds like being picky, and I know this is the first GT title for PS3, but even in premium, the graphics could easily look really good, the textures are all there, but the absence of AA just brings it down to the "a bit like a PS2 at high res" image.

Only a graphics pervert would say the pics we've been seeing look kind of like 640x480 resolution upscaled. :P

I'm not sure I'll want to see graphics fuzzied up with AA. If they do use it at 1080, I hope it's only 2x or selectable. In any case, we'll be getting our high res Gran Turismo sometime next year.

You mean you'd rather have cars comprised of your office staircases than with smoothed edges. Suit yourself. Other racing games have managed clean graphics without AA, but some of the GT screenshots have really bad aliases.
I didn't actually say it looked like 640x480 either, I said GT4 but High-res, high resolution implying the 1920x1080 that the shots are, but still with the same edge issues on the cars as before.

Wow good news is it is free with 10 cars 1 track
Drift trial sounds interesting but I don't see any fun factor with that Swiss rally stage
the bad news is we have to wait FOREVER to get a real GT online experience
now I have a reason to wait a little longer (maybe much much longer) for getting myself a PS3
congrats myself by now :indiff:

*buys plane ticket to Japan, hunts down Sony decision-making person, slaps him in the face with a wet fish*

I can't believe this.... :( Unless this means that GT5 is coming alot sooner than previously expected (anyone remember the endless delays on GT4???) then this sounds like extremely bad news... I mean, a demo? 10 cars, 1 course??? :guilty: I can't even type what I'm really thinking, otherwise I'd have to ban myself on the spot :grumpy:

I was looking forowrd to this :( , bad news really , PD should atleast give us a GT5 date to look forword too :(

*buys plane ticket to Japan, hunts down Sony decision-making person, slaps him in the face with a wet fish*

Im way ahead of you and standing outside Sony HQ with a bag of fresh fish! Anybody in particular you want slapped?

Seriously though this is stupid and incredibly annoying. The main reason i want a PS3 and have one pre-ordered is because of the GT franchise. GT5 has just had a huge weight thrown on its shoulders now, lets just hope it lives up to our expectations

A very unhappy Spec.....

Well, if GTHD was going to e their test for microtransactions, whos to say they won't do it in GT5? Not that I want them to...

If the initial rumour about microtransactions was true, that's ridiculous, and I'd be glas if they dropped it. No game will retail for themere $5 some people reckoned GT HD would be, because the bluray discs are brand new, and take up a considerable portion of the cost. It's come as no surprise that the next GT game will be a long way away, too close to GT4, and all you get is GT4, with a couple of extras, and more expense.

great news. GT HD was not making any sense and was using a souped up version of the GT4 engine.

good to focus on the real sequel.

GT games were always about the best graphics a playstation could generate. i want to say "wow" again for GT. i just hope the game comes out still in 2008.

until then, there´s plenty of time for lots of demos like this one. sponsored demos, online demos, possibilities are endless. we won´t be in such a drought like we were waiting for GT4.

Sort of good news that it's now free but i can't help thinking that it will damage sales of the PS3, in Europe at least. I can't see myself forking out for a PS3 until there's a Gran Turismo product worth buying as well. I don't think we'll be seing GT5 until 2nd qtr 2008 if the release dates of the other GT games are anything to go by.

I don't think PD will release any other in-between GT 'demos' either, with their track record (GT4 Online or Mobile anyone?) I think they sould just knuckle down and get GT5 out asap.

It's come as no surprise that the next GT game will be a long way away, too close to GT4, and all you get is GT4, with a couple of extras, and more expense.

I hate to break it to you but GT4 is nearly 2 years old from when it went gold in Japan.

I personally thought GTHD was a stupid idea. GT4HD with some glitch, bug and error fixes, some graphical improvements, plus online may have been good but at a budget price. If anything, that would have made the wait to GT5 easier for the fans.

I believe GT5 will be released in 2008 but 2009 is possible, judging by PD's previous track record. I also believe GT5 has the potential to be a better game than Forza Motorsport 2. But, if FM2 is released in 2007 as promised GT5 will be late in the run, very late. FM3 may be released by then.

I'm not going to loose any sleep over waiting on GT5 since I haven't bought a PS3. I may get a much cheaper and stable PS3 with GT5 when it's released. I'll see how good FM2 is next year and if it's worth it I'll buy an XBOX 360 and FM2 to enjoy car racing once again.

I must say that this is worrying for Sony. They need to get in and make and sell as many PS3 consoles as possible and this is another thing that will not help with that. Sony went from having the most sold consoles with the PS2, to least on PS3. Even the Wii sold more consoles...

The Wii was on top for first week sales, much as I suspected it would be. I never thought I'd find myself saying this, but this round I think is between Nintendo and Microsoft.

The Wii was on top for first week sales, much as I suspected it would be. I never thought I'd find myself saying this, but this round I think is between Nintendo and Microsoft.

Sad isn't it? I really wanted Sony's PS3 to do well but deep down I knew that they couldn't match Microsoft's might, sooner or later it was going to swing MS's way. Just didn't think it would be this soon. I guess the signs were there in the last year or so.:(

I'll be honest though, in either case, big GT fans like myself will probably still buy a PS3 when GT5 is released, if GT5 is as good as it's shaping up to be. I'm not a big console games player and the only games I had on PS3 were driving games. One really good driving game on the PS3 like GT5, with at least 2 years of gameplay in it and a solid online experience would justify me buying the PS3. I just don't think the rest of the public works like that though...

Microsoft's normal reason for doing well is that everyone seems forced to buy their products. Sony just chose a poor strategy for their console. I really think BluRay cost them the lead. It's what causes the high price (a large proportion of people I've spoken to say they will buy a PS3 but not for a few years until the price becomes affordable) and what caused the delays. Standard DVDs are admittedly on the small side, but PC games have only just gone to using two DVDs, and they can produce superb graphics... Admittedly, the PS3's hardware is smaller-scale but there's no OS to consume all the resources...

You're right about the wrong business strategy and about the inclusion of BluRay.

I would say that in the long run it may work for Sony as they have the infrastructure for years to come, but it would be wishful thinking. Unfortunately for Sony, HD-DVD is winning the DVD war. A company, shall I say monster, like MS will think nothing of releasing another XBOX far more powerful than the PS3 with HD-DVD in 3 to 5 years, they have so much capital and have a history of squashing the competition by any means possible. MS can afford to loose an obscene amount of money on researching and building the next XBOX. Sony will not have the financial mass to do this again. If they loose this consoles war they're done for in the consoles business. Mark my words.

And not just in the console business either. At the moment I see no winner or loser in the format war, I think it's too early to call that one, but MS do look like they have the upper hand, and who knows if that happens again, maybe consoles will go the way of PCs. That'll be a sad day indeed.

Lets get back to GTHD/5 please. PS3/Xbox/Sony/MS discussions are for other threads.

I'm not sure if it's 100% true but I was reading the other day that HD-DVD basically has the bigger, share of Hollywood studios signed. Plus MS is backing HD-DVD in Vista. Again Microsoft.:grumpy:

Still too close to call the final outcome. I've even heard of Players capable of playing BluRay and HD-DVD in the next 1 to 2 years. Who knows...

EDIT: Just seen the Super Moderator post so I'll leave this dissucssion where it's at Polyphony001. Cheers:)

Well Sony has just lost my money !!!!

The ONLY reason i wanted a PS3 was for GTHD, now thats gone the way of the dodo, ill be spending my hard earned cash on a brand new PC with a DX10 graphics card once they hit the market.

But hey atleast when GT5 is release ill be able to pick up a PS3 on Ebay, waaaay below current PS3 prices :)

your loss Sony....

GTHD was a dumb idea and I couldn't believe everyone was welcoming it with open arms. I'm glad it's gone. And hopefully PD will be able to release GT5 earlier, than, say, 2009.

Thanks for breaking the news, my Croatian friend. I sort of believe something like this would happen eventually. I mean, I don't know why you'd focus on a seperate game rather than the main franchise. I think it would be too confusing to note that an upcoming game for a well-respected franchise would go into this direction. I thought it was interesting that PD would progressively offer its PS3 gamers the chance to see an evolving demo. I'm 50% sure that this is a better move to relase this as a demo rather than a full-fledged game. It's the same reason why America didn't get GT Concept or GT4 Prolouge. Kazunori Yamauchi even said that he didn't want to confuse gamers in America and abroad of a GT that isn't even a true GT game. And while I'm not an online gamer, I don't think people will put down money to buy cars and tracks for a game like GTHD. People complained too much.

Now for the online portion. I said in the past that I'm not bothered about a no online experience. Well, I'm still not bothered. This doesn't affect me more like it affects some other people. Amar212, you noted that GTHD has been officially canned. GTHD Classic mostly features GT4-type graphics with some added detail. Does the canning of GTHD affect GTHD Classic as well?

I'm not sure if it's 100% true but I was reading the other day that HD-DVD basically has the bigger, share of Hollywood studios signed. Plus MS is backing HD-DVD in Vista. Again Microsoft.:grumpy:
You guys are so out of touch. Only one Hollywood studio is solely backing HD-DVD, and I can't even remember who it is, and many are solely backing Blu-ray. Either the news sucks badly, or hype is completely out of whack. :P

Sony made the right decision. Let's examine a little history, shall we? Since consoles went to optical technology 11 years ago:

Disc capacity (to DVD9) increased by 13 times.

CPU speed increased 32 times.

Memory increased more than TWO HUNDRED TIMES!

And MS developers grouched about being restricted to DVD when the 360 specs were finalized.

Sony intended to make a product that would last a decade like the PS1 did, in production for 11 years, like the PS2 is likely to be. Not disposable like a PC or MS product.

What do you brilliant people think disc capacity requirements are going to be even five years from now, not to mention ten? ;)

Grouching because blue-violet lasers are in short supply for a few months is VERY short sighted. And if you think the MS stockholders are happy to see their games division loose money every year, you have a strange concept of what stock is all about.

As for the PS3 loosing to the Wii, you must not know that PS3s are practically disappearing befor they even hit the shelves, and this is likely to continue for the next several months, or more. I know Gran Turismo is extremely popular and all, but most of us do play other games.

Anyway, I'm sad now. No GT HD. I'll be happy if I see a Gran Turismo 5 in 2008, but if Kaz and the lads haven't been secretly working on GT5 content for the past two or three years, it may be a very GT3-like debut. Eww. The saving graces of that kind of release are the downloadables, and an ambitious career mode as I wished about quite vocally.

Oh well, it's still going to be a merry Christmas. Somehow. ;)

Wouldn't have it been smart to still go ahead with the on-line portion to work out the bugs? I understand thats alread being done in japan, but how about with the rest of the world linking up to go racing. Can somebody say "QUALITY CONTROL". We already have also seen many cars set up for the HD experience. Why limit it to only ten? I was looking forward to Classic to tied me over until GT5 comes out.:irked: What the heck will I do with all that time waiting? Motorstorm...F1 hopefully.

Back