Gran Turismo Movie Thread

• Thread starter ro_har_
  • 1,255 comments
My 2 cents after watching the trailer…

Overall: looks better than i
Imagined but not good enough to watch in the theatres.

The movie ultimately is a very expensive advertising campaign for the GT series.

I know this part is based on the real life aspect of racing and not the game… but seeing proper damage in anything labeled Gran Turismo was weird, as was seeing a story line 😅

Either way: I’ll watch this at some point when it comes to one of my streaming platforms 🤷‍♂️

I’ll wait for the vr version ;)
I genuinely think Vr movies would be amazing.

Even early versions of them where you put on the VR headset and it puts you inside a VR movie theatre.

The ‘3D’ effect would be infinitely better than the current gen of 3D movies in general plus they can make things litterally come out of the screen and into the theatre.

Plus a bonus of doing online group watching, where you can look around and see your friends / families avatars in the theatre with you and voice chat.

Obviously this needs to evolve further so that you become the characters etc within the movie and they remove the theatre aspect all together. But for now, I see that being far too expensive to any movie to realistically make :(

Given how long the movie has been either planned or in the making, it's great to see it finally coming out for real. Being based on the true story does give it some weight and relatability. Hard to say much about it otherwise, the training scenes seem kind of cliched, but the racing of course could look very exciting with the right editing. I guess a good writer could include all sorts of interesting points about gaming and the relationship between virtual and real-life racing. Ultimately the trailer does come off as a big budget ad for the game, but it's probably a smart approach from Sony's part.

But I have to say I am a bit missing the more classic "GT Mode" movie. The kind of where the protagonist is some nobody with a cheap used car at first, before naturally escalating into a 1,600 hp Red Bull prototype in a 600 car garage, with all the imaginable Easter eggs along the way... That's how I always imagined a GT movie would be :D

I watched parts of that Go-Karts! Film on netflix a few weeks ago, admittedly not seeing all the scenes, it still seemed very... :rolleyes:. This at least doesn't look like it will be that bad.

Comparing this to Ford vs Ferrari/'LM '66 trailer how would some of you score them?

One thing I would look forward to seeing in the movie, is the epilogue. For the authenticity perhaps. I think some pics of the real Jann with the description of what he continues to accomplish would be a nice touch.

Comparing this to Ford vs Ferrari/'LM '66 trailer how would some of you score them?

This sort of trailer is so much better IMO. A slow build that gives glimpses of the action to come while also giving you a chance to find out about the characters and their motivations before coming to a crescendo at the end.

In comparison, it feels like the GT trailer just seems to want to scream about how Awesome and Rad it is while throwing as much as it possibly can at you in fear that you're about scroll past to the next thing on your social media feed.

Last edited:
I honestly thought it would be a lot worse. For those complaining about all the "inaccuracies", just remember that the movie is "based on a true story" and not a proper re-telling with all the correct details. I don't care if the "wrong" vehicles are used because it doesn't detract from the story. That is the most important part so if you're going to nitpick, you're just stopping yourself from enjoying the movie for what it is.

Last edited:
Well..

Being that I practically grew up on a movie set, judging by the cast alone; this movie has potential. A few big name actors to carry the script, if nothing else. To those who question the casting of a “95lb nerd”..

That’s exactly the viewing audience they’re trying to pursue. There is much more “nerdy-nerds”, then there is “athletic nerds.”

I’m in no way going to hold it against the GT trailer that it doesn’t look like the Ford vs Ferrari trailer. You’re literally comparing a movie with MANY big-list actors and budget vs some big-ish actors on a passion-project.

As a motocross/Dirtbike guy…. I’ll be the first to admit that these niche movies don’t usually do well.

But I’ll also concede, that they’ve done VERY WELL before.

Sony is no slouch. So it won’t be short of at least B-level production value.

As SIM Racers, it’s our DUTY to go see this movie if it comes to theaters. Its failure or success will somewhat come from a generation of gamers that will range anywhere from 50 to 15 years old.

That’s quite a broad swath of potential viewers if you ask me.

Last edited:
It’s surreal to see this going into theaters. And it’s going to be truly something special, not only for Jann of course it’s his story, but also for everyone who won the competition since 2008 and everyone who had the chance to compete in GT Academy at the Race Camps.

Nor is anyone joining up with US Special Forces based on Call of Duty but GT can tell this story.
Actually, there is a sizeable chunk of people who've openly admitted playing COD is what inspired them to sign up to the military. Activision and the U.S. Army tried to capitalise on this by offering big cash payouts for top COD streamers if they'd join the military for real. Unsurprisingly, this got a lot of flak for it being both desperate and asinine.

Actually, there is a sizeable chunk of people who've openly admitted playing COD is what inspired them to sign up to the military. Activision and the U.S. Army tried to capitalise on this by offering big cash payouts for top COD streamers if they'd join the military for real. Unsurprisingly, this got a lot of flak for it being both desperate and asinine.
Why use CoD when they have their own game which suits their needs far better?
Cant call it a tripple A game, but America´s Army was interesting to test at least.

The trailer has not convinced me really.

If they were gonna do a Gran Turismo movie should have been based in Japan with a Super GT or a JGTC theme. Toms Castrol Supra vs the Skyline!!

This movie is too americanised nothing Japanese about it whatsoever.

Gran Turismo could have been the Japanese Ford vs Ferrari where we have Toyota vs Nissan.

Last edited:
I’m not sure how good this movie will be but I’ll definitely go see it.

I’ve got a 12 year old son that plays CoD in his free time. I’ve been trying to get him to spent a little more time with my racing wheel playing GT7 instead of CoD And Rocket League.

Taking him to see this movie will likely help me do that and that’s a good thing.
I’m looking forward to it.

The inaccuracies of a movie thats supposed to be based on events during 2011 are incredibly jarring.
GTPlanet
The movie will be retelling that story, albeit in a slightly more modern setting than a decade ago with the trailer showing the GT Academy competition — which originally appeared as a time trial within GT5 Prologue — retconned into the present-day Gran Turismo 7.

It's been said all over that it will be in a modern/current/recent setting and not set in 2011.

Last edited:

If they were gonna do a Gran Turismo movie should have been based in Japan with a Super GT or a JGTC theme. Toms Castrol Supra vs the Skyline!!

Gran Turismo could have been the Japanese Ford vs Ferrari where we have Toyota vs Nissan.
If the movie will be succesful , they might do Fraga's story about Super Fomula or they might do something with Toyota

i would like actual movie about Super GT or JGTC but there is alot of licences to deal with even for a movie

imho to me the movie looks good enough , not great but don't expect Ford vs Ferrari quality

Last edited:
I'm not hyped for this... but honestly, reading some of these comments, I'm not even sure we're all watching the same trailer.

Then its not a Gran Turismo Movie either, its just a JGTC or Super GT film. And then you basically suggesting it should just straight up copy Ford Vs Ferrari (An American made movie funny enough) but replace the makes, which isn't a better idea either (especially without ANY decent names to carry it).

Honestly, I don't think there IS a better way for a Gran Turismo movie (Which is weird to say as someone who never felt like GT was movie material to being with) then to use the story of a GT Academy winner who's literal career was basically thanks to...Gran Turismo.

Also, where exactly the hell is the implication that its supposed to be Japanese? Because its a Japanese Franchise by a Japanese Developer owned by a Multimillion dollar Japanese company? By that logic, The Super Mario Movie AND the Sonic Movie have no business existing either.

Last edited:
Despite my low expactations for any racing movie released in theaters, the trailer looked pretty good to be honest...Hope we can keep the cliche melodramatic bits to a minimum. I know you have to dramatize the story a bit to pull in the general public but I just would prefer it doesn't end up being cringe city, which despite some obvious parts, there is still hope I think 😁

It looks so much worse than anything I could've imagined.

No, scratch that. It's exactly what I imagined, and that's what makes it worse.

how the heck does this have 5.7 million views lol? Who wants to watch a Gran Turismo movie?

I think this game can't really become a good movie, and It's my all time favorite franchise by far

I think this game can't really become a good movie
They're not, as explained repeatedly and at length throughout this thread and in every article we've written on it, turning the game into a movie at all.

Quite surprised at some of the backlash to be honest.
I found it to be quite cringe. It's extremely on the nose about being an advertisement for the game, although, yes, one could argue it's inherently an ad for the brand regardless. The unconvincing imposed game footages ruin the immersion. We laugh at the usual 'boy mashing bleep bloop on his Polystation' you see all over TV but this is Sony themselves with all the source material and knowledge of depicting the medium correctly, but then again Sony's movie department is mostly misses. All the Nissan logos is not too far from GM's not so subtle presence in the Transformer movies. I'm reminded of games like America's Army or Call of Duty that doesn't even try to hide the fact it's a military recruitment tool for a certain target demographic. This "film" in absolutely no way can ever be respected as a form of art, it's a 90 minute product placement. Doesn't matter if Sony was able to attach notable Hollywood names to the project, it's an easy payday for them.

Then its not a Gran Turismo Movie either, its just a JGTC or Super GT film. And then you basically suggesting it should just straight up copy Ford Vs Ferrari (An American made movie funny enough) but replace the makes, which isn't a better idea either (especially without ANY decent names to carry it).

Honestly, I don't think there IS a better way for a Gran Turismo movie (Which is weird to say as someone who never felt like GT was movie material to being with) then to use the story of a GT Academy winner who's literal career was basically thanks to...Gran Turismo.

Also, where exactly the hell is the implication that its supposed to be Japanese? Because its a Japanese Franchise by a Japanese Developer owned by a Multimillion dollar Japanese company? By that logic, The Super Mario Movie AND the Sonic Movie have no business existing either.

It has to be Japanese because Japan has always been the heart and soul of Gran Turismo.

Back