Gran Turismo - Open World Freeroam? (Read OP)

Would you like an added free-roam mode in the Gran Turismo series?

• Yes

Votes: 1,107 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 268 19.5%

• Total voters
yes and no .... Sure why not, but there is definitely more urgent/pressing things to work on at this point than adding Free Roam...

Kaz should make it a habit to come to GTP and check out the Rant threads for ideas to work on... Free Roam can wait...

Oops i forgot to vote... should i say yes or no?? i guess no.

EDIT:
It would be nice, but a complete waste of my time to just roam around...
I already roam around my house doing nothing, do i really want to do it virtually as well ?

humm humm ... such difficult question there.

I would prefer Livery Editor before Free Roam.

This has been my vision of future GT titles since GT3.

I dont think it will be implemented till the PS4 era just mainly down to the power of the PS3, its not enough. Its been said that Kaz had to make a fair few restraints with GT5 because of the PS3 power. So to implement a free roaming world where you can drive to dealerships and races and the licence test centre, with the way GT5 is showing off the cars? Pretty much impossible unless he takes a lot of visual quality of the game.

Yes, that WOULD be nice, like CTznOfTime said there are more important issues to be addressed.

Also, Kaz said he wanted a speed limit involved. My question was, if there was going to be a speed limit, what would happen if one were to break that speed limit? Police? Chase?....holy crap turn the grits off, they done!

If free roam is what I am thinking it's, it's useless and not important for a racing game in all honesty. The majority won't care even if it's in the game, but they will care about crappy looking standard cars. Stop wasting time doing junk like this and fix the game so it doesn't blow like it does right now. Everything is half assed in GT5 sorry to say. Even the great, the cars, they don't look that great in actually driving, only in photo-mode and stuff. Which is useless as it's once again not important for the majority. They should have left that crap out of GT5 to make the main aspects good. So yes, I say keep this useless stuff out till they fix what's wrong. Shadows and smoke look like crap still; and lets not forget smoke not showing up in the rear view.

Yes, sorry I am so critical of GT5, I just never thought the final release would be in this quality. Perhaps it's even the quality that bugs me, it's more so the old missing features. Short game overall, only 45 events. Way short in my book. No top speed, or distance testing facility like past GT games. Seriously, GT5 right now is where FF13 is. They just took a step backwards with their game. It might look pritty, but it's missing what we fans expected from it. This is what happens when idiots (PD) build a game for themselves and not the fans.

And boom goes the dynamite.

Free roam would be totally useless and a complete waste of time. I'd rather see something that actually rises the standard of GT5 rather than another feature that makes no sense whatsoever.

Umm, YES! I've always wanted something like this for when you are tired of racing and just want to take leisurely stroll for the sights and sounds. Take it one step further and you could have unrestricted point-to-point street races through traffic getaway in Stockholm style... or how about a lobby based in a parking lot where you arrive in your car to chat, walk around, and settle a few debates on a nearby windy road :) unfortunately while the possibilities are endless, the hardware is not

Free roam + 3D + a drive through Italy would be stellar.
No, just like 3D, waste of damn time. You know what they could have done with that time instead of making 3D for the 10 people who will use it? I dunno either buddy! Maybe 50 more cars? 2-3 tracks? A testing site? Who knows, all I know is 3D and other junk is wasted time for something people won't appreciate in the current state of the game. While it's great, so many flaws the longer you play.

If free roam is what I am thinking it's, it's useless and not important for a racing game in all honesty. The majority won't care even if it's in the game, but they will care about crappy looking standard cars. Stop wasting time doing junk like this and fix the game so it doesn't blow like it does right now. Everything is half assed in GT5 sorry to say. Even the great, the cars, they don't look that great in actually driving, only in photo-mode and stuff. Which is useless as it's once again not important for the majority. They should have left that crap out of GT5 to make the main aspects good. So yes, I say keep this useless stuff out till they fix what's wrong. Shadows and smoke look like crap still; and lets not forget smoke not showing up in the rear view.

Yes, sorry I am so critical of GT5, I just never thought the final release would be in this quality. Perhaps it's even the quality that bugs me, it's more so the old missing features. Short game overall, only 45 events. Way short in my book. No top speed, or distance testing facility like past GT games. Seriously, GT5 right now is where FF13 is. They just took a step backwards with their game. It might look pritty, but it's missing what we fans expected from it. This is what happens when idiots (PD) build a game for themselves and not the fans.

And boom goes the dynamite.

^^^^this. how can they even contemplate getting in an entire new mode that doesnt even seem that interesting anyways when they can't even get more than 200 ps3 level cars on a ps3 game?! talk about a terrible waste of resources. it seems like gt series try to do too much. just take their amazing physics engine and give a butt load of cars that people want, a variety of tracks, advanced tuning with intuitive pricing (upgrading a civic should not be the same price as upgrading a lambo), add more a spec events and let us just have a blast.

no one cares about b-spec and crap like that (except maybe a small minority).

GT team needs focus on perfecting whats already here before adding more superfluous features

I have always talked about this in the past and now that it came out of Kaz's own mouth makes me excited. Imagine a drive simulator where we can drive our car on a beautiful island like Hawaii and do photo shoots and walk around and meet other car enthusiasts. Yes I know it sounds like TDU, but I think if PD makes a game like this it would be ultimately better than any other developer since they have the experience with cars. I would love to see this for the next GT series. Racing around tracks gets old. It's been done with for GT1 through 5. I think GT6 needs to be a bit different and free roam would be great. Kind of like Microsoft Flight Simulator you can fly around the world, but for GT you can drive in many cities or places around the world. Mix the physics of the cars with the beauty of the open world scenery and I think we will have a driving simulator that will take our breaths away.

I voted yes. It would be a cool, quirky little side to the game that could be a fun experience. On the other hand, there are numerous issues that greatly need attention first. I hope whatever efforts PD is putting into GT5 at this point is fixing things, not adding on crazy new features. More premiums and the like are justifiable though.

Only if I can do illegal mountainpass racing, followed by a trip into the city where I can pickup a hooker and accidently kill her and bury her in the park.

I think it would be AMAZING to have a small city as an overworld. There would be numerous locations you could drive to such as: Your Garage, GT Auto, a Tuning Shop, Car Dealerships, Airport(travel to photomode locations), Clothing Shop (for buying racing gear for your driver), and more. If you didn't want to drive to a location, you could press start to open up a map and then select between locations to instantly travel there. There would also be a test track you could drive to in order to test out your car, for a small fee of course. Considering the game already feels much like an RPG, I think this would be the perfect next step for the series, even if it has been done in other games before. The only thing I might not enjoy is obeying traffic rules and waiting for stop lights. Maybe there could be outskirts and mountainous roads where you'd be able to drive as fast as you like. I'm not asking for anything massive here, just a relatively small city with some back roads for performance testing. They wouldn't even have to animate your character if they used the photomode style first-person view.

Free roam wouldn't offer anything. The disc space it would take up could be put to better use with more cars and circuits and events.

Only if I can do illegal mountainpass racing, followed by a trip into the city where I can pickup a hooker and accidently kill her and bury her in the park.

yes. and also have to get calls from you're drug connections to transport pills to other areas of the city for quick cash.

certainly everyone knows the best way to move narcotics are in loud high performance vehicles. when the cop pulls you over he'd be more interested in giving you the ticket than thinking you're transporting.

this could be just like gta 4/ midnight club!!!

forget the racing!

Free roam would be totally useless and a complete waste of time. I'd rather see something that actually rises the standard of GT5 rather than another feature that makes no sense whatsoever.
I'd also like to add that I would never like to see a free roam feature even when GT5's shortcomings eventually will be fixed (which I sincerely hope). This kind of worthless crap should be where it belongs (that is; in TDU and GTA games) as I can't really see any use of it.

Or if Mr Yamauchi is that eager to implement it - make it optional.

Free Roam?
Where is SPA? Where is a decent race mode setup, Where is a decent championship, where is a decent AI?
I think spending time behind the free roam will be just insane while still we have those lacks.

I think free roam should just be like realy big photo travel locations. That or free roam on tracks without invisible walls in the center areas of the track. Think about a free roam Top gear test track where you can drive out of the garage like the stig does in the TG intro video.

I think it would be AMAZING to have a small city as an overworld. There would be numerous locations you could drive to such as: Your Garage, GT Auto, a Tuning Shop, Car Dealerships, Airport(travel to photomode locations), Clothing Shop (for buying racing gear for your driver), and more. If you didn't want to drive to a location, you could press start to open up a map and then select between locations to instantly travel there. There would also be a test track you could drive to in order to test out your car, for a small fee of course. Considering the game already feels much like an RPG, I think this would be the perfect next step for the series, even if it has been done in other games before. The only thing I might not enjoy is obeying traffic rules and waiting for stop lights. Maybe there could be outskirts and mountainous roads where you'd be able to drive as fast as you like. I'm not asking for anything massive here, just a relatively small city with some back roads for performance testing. They wouldn't even have to animate your character if they used the photomode style first-person view.

Agreed:tup:

I was going to post this exactly . (I think Uracat is a mind reader)

Back