Gran Turismo - Open World Freeroam? (Read OP)

Would you like an added free-roam mode in the Gran Turismo series?

• Yes

Votes: 1,107 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 268 19.5%

• Total voters
To be honest, I agree with you. It wouldn't surprise me at all, since they lost Need for Speed free roam to Criterion

Um, EA still published them - Criterion were the developers. Black Box, the previous, long-term devs, may be owned by EA, but so are Criterion...

Note that both studios are making NFS games, and they will alternate releases each year. It's the favoured approach now that publishers have realised you can't actually force one studio to make a game every year and expect them to be any good.

I would love for Free roam in the major track-cities in the world. with a airport system connecting them all. Say, pull up to a 4 way drag race in LA with spectators lining the sides. Then Travel to Australia and do a 10 lap race of bathurst, with a new race starting automatically every 15 minutes. Next I would fly to Germany, cane down the autobahn before heading off to the Green Hell and putting in a few laps for a time trial. Then I would finish off with a leisurely trip to Japan, and put a few laps in drifting Tsukuba.

What a game that would be.

Ok guys. I've been thinking about this for a long time.
We were promised free roaming in GT5, where we would have to obey the rules etc and drive around freely in a part of a city, or a whole city. And also have the opportunity to leave the car, walk around and go straight into photo mode from there.

How many of you guys would like to see free roaming in GT6? And what city? I would love to see Tokyo at the very least, with traffic, rules and everything. Also the opportunity to do free roaming online. How sweet would't it be to drive around in Tokyo, and figure out exactly where the R246 is, and drive around there in the free roam? And also be able to leave R246 at any time and drive elsewhere.

Well think about this for a second. You've been racing a loong time, a few hours nonstop. What if you still want to play but still be able to relax?

- Take it to the free roaming. Drive around and relax, and find a nice spot to exit the car and take a few photographs of your sweet ride. Would be nice to have the free roam feature, just because of the opportunity to relax between championships without having to leave the console and do other stuff while you relax.

Special stage route X could be a good place to develop a small open world map, I mean they already have a highway like road as such. What if they expanded this with off ramps and on ramps. The boundaries could be the port edges and the hill tops. All they need to include is a small tokyo like city, resiential areas scattered around the city, an industrial area, large shopping mall car parks for car meets, winding roads that go all the way to the tops of the hills/map and maybe even an airport to just to finish it off. I know GT is meant to be the ultimate driving simulator, with the obvious focus on curcuit racing. Something like what I have said above could really make the game, a break maybe from curcuit racing - something fresh. Why not have the best of both worlds in one game? What do you think? Feel free to criticise and or add.

I'd be interested in a free roam mode if it were done correctly, but my version of "correctly" is likely very different from everyone else.

What I would NOT want to see is anything like Midnight Club and similar games. I don't have any problem with those types of games in and of themselves, I just don't think that type of thing has a place in a Gran Turismo game is all. Leave that in the capable hands of the companies / game franchises that already do it.

What I would be interested in is a free roam mode that is something more akin to Euro Truck Simulator 2, ok stop laughing I'm serious :P. Essentially it would be a realistic but simplified road system that connects the various track locations around the world, with a rudimentary set of traffic laws and obnoxiously large fines that are metered out automagically if you break them (things like speeding in certain areas, running red lights, hitting other vehicles, etc) and possibly even having your current car impounded if you break too many.

There would be no actual racing involved but if you wanted to you could have your car shipped to Silverstone, then drive down to Dover and hop on a train to Calais and drive over to Le Mans for example.

It could even be used as an expanded Photo Mode too with the option to drive to a "beauty spot" to take some pictures or record a bit of replay footage instead of just picking a location from a catalogue.

Heh I guess in a way it could end up like that PSN Home thing.. bunch of roads and air / sea transport areas that link various portals for tracks, photo mode locales, GT Auto garages and such. If you want to putter around Europe visiting race tracks you can, or just use the menus like do currently and ignore Free Roam completely.

Feldynn
I'd be interested in a free roam mode if it were done correctly, but my version of "correctly" is likely very different from everyone else.

What I would NOT want to see is anything like Midnight Club and similar games. I don't have any problem with those types of games in and of themselves, I just don't think that type of thing has a place in a Gran Turismo game is all. Leave that in the capable hands of the companies / game franchises that already do it.

What I would be interested in is a free roam mode that is something more akin to Euro Truck Simulator 2, ok stop laughing I'm serious :P. Essentially it would be a realistic but simplified road system that connects the various track locations around the world, with a rudimentary set of traffic laws and obnoxiously large fines that are metered out automagically if you break them (things like speeding in certain areas, running red lights, hitting other vehicles, etc) and possibly even having your current car impounded if you break too many.

There would be no actual racing involved but if you wanted to you could have your car shipped to Silverstone, then drive down to Dover and hop on a train to Calais and drive over to Le Mans for example.

It could even be used as an expanded Photo Mode too with the option to drive to a "beauty spot" to take some pictures or record a bit of replay footage instead of just picking a location from a catalogue.

Heh I guess in a way it could end up like that PSN Home thing.. bunch of roads and air / sea transport areas that link various portals for tracks, photo mode locales, GT Auto garages and such. If you want to putter around Europe visiting race tracks you can, or just use the menus like do currently and ignore Free Roam completely.

Exactly.

Think of it as a break from the intense races. You're not in the mood for racing for a while after an intense race at Nurb. But you don't want to quit driving either. Would be relaxing to cruise around a city for a while until you're ready to get back into the action. Right?

thats cool but it will better if they provide us track editor that can make tracks like freeroam and make option to place Standard cars as traffic cars. it can be shared and other people can download it.

imagine if its true, you will get more 100+ freeroam location

While I would love to see a free roam mode added to the GT series, I would rather PD perfect what needs perfected before adding that kind of thing in.

There are many threads just like this one btw. Just use the search function instead of starting a new thread.

True true. And if the rumors about the GPS function (track editor with real life track layout) is true, that would make a great free roaming feature too.

Yeah I agree Prodigy. But it would still be sweet to see it.

Yeah well I started this yesterday, and was too tired to search, sorry if it bothered you lol :P

True true. And if the rumors about the GPS function (track editor with real life track layout) is true, that would make a great free roaming feature too.

Yeah I agree Prodigy. But it would still be sweet to see it.

Yeah well I started this yesterday, and was too tired to search, sorry if it bothered you lol :P

No problem with me lol... just letting you know before people start bashing you for it :D

Well they can whine all they want :P If the mods want they can delete the thread, hehe.

👍

Even if free roam isn't available in GT6 though, I would be happy with invisible barriers being removed from certain tracks. It's somewhat related to the OP, but take for example the Top Gear Test Track where all the grass space in the middle is blocked off by an invisible barrier. This feature is annoying and getting rid of it would allow for a more diverse and open "free roaming" opportunity.

Special stage route X could be a good place to develop a small open world map, I mean they already have a highway like road as such. What if they expanded this with off ramps and on ramps. The boundaries could be the port edges and the hill tops. All they need to include is a small tokyo like city, resiential areas scattered around the city, an industrial area, large shopping mall car parks for car meets, winding roads that go all the way to the tops of the hills/map and maybe even an airport to just to finish it off. I know GT is meant to be the ultimate driving simulator, with the obvious focus on curcuit racing. Something like what I have said above could really make the game, a break maybe from curcuit racing - something fresh. Why not have the best of both worlds in one game? What do you think? Feel free to criticise and or add.

Back