Gran Turismo - Open World Freeroam? (Read OP)

Would you like an added free-roam mode in the Gran Turismo series?

• Yes

Votes: 1,107 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 268 19.5%

• Total voters
This got off-topic, but there are only two cars that I like on the Forza car list that aren't in GT5.

But there are probably about 30 that are in GT5 that I do not see on that list.

Only 2 cars? lol

I would jump for joy if GT6 had Forza 4's car list. Forget even talking about Forza 5 which will push the bar even further away from GT.

T10 get's it. They make the cars people wan't, the cars WE want. PD doesn't care what their customers would like to drive nor will they in the future. Gran Turismo has turned into a game that's 100% out of touch with it's fanbase.

This is proven when you look at the useless vehicles that PD chooses to spend their time on. They spend a month making a VW schwimmwagen....... in a racing game???? What the **** is that PD? But they couldn't stop there they actually made two of them!

Forza has an abundance of everything from classic OLDS 442's to brand new Porsches and everything in between. EVERYTHING with a cockpit view and full customization!

So the next time you defend GT i wan't you to remember that PD would rather make a 31hp amphibious car then a premium E46 M3 or Koenigsegg or Foxbody Mustang etc etc etc etc.

Just remember that every single car you wanted to be in GT5 took a back seat to an amphibious car with a propeller on the back.

It's a complete joke.

Last edited:
I don't care much from those Volkswagens, but most of my favorite cars to drive are the weird ones. There are so many racing games with the same cars that it becomes redundant and boring.

When I was a kid I used to love Lamborghinis. I had so many toy cars of them. But then video game consoles came out and every racing game ever made had a Lamborghini in it. Now I hardly even touch them on GT5, because they've become so played out that I become easily bored driving them.

I've seen some cool cars on the Forza list that was posted here, and I would love to play with them in a game (although I've already driven one of them in LA Noire, so it's not a big deal). If Forza was on PS3 I might even consider buying it just so I could drive the Smart Fortwo, but I wouldn't buy an entire console for it.

IMO the one place where Forza has a better selection of cars is in the area of classic muscle cars where they have added several via DLC for a final selection that is pretty good. Aside from these I can't think of anywhere the selection is better. There are a lot of super cars and hyper cars but I really don't care much for those and of course there are Porsches but then there are lots of cars in GT that are not in Forza and some of those are my favorite cars to drive.

I would have to say that GT has the better car list for sure though there are a few in Forza that I wish were in GT.

As for the open world after thinking about it a bit more I definitely would not want it. Whatever time it would take to create an open world layout would be far better spent on other features, tracks or making more of the really cool standards into full premium models.

Yes, I would like to drive cars on normal streets with stop signs and traffic lights; parallel parking and parking lots; winding country roads, long straight highways, and bumper to bumper city traffic.

You should be able to pull up to dealerships, pull in to car washes, and drop your car off at a mechanic's garage.

I want the full experience of driving an automobile.

I'm going to guess you don't drive in real life?

I'm guessing that was sarcasm.
No, I don't want this open world nonsense. Give me a good circuit racer with all the problems sorted out, then I can tolerate the open world game.

I guess you refer to his last line, what he mentioned certainly doesn't sum up everything you do with your car, but how much further could PD go? Such a free roam game should focus on the fun of driving, not the everyday use of cars with its annoyances. That'd make it an alternative to real driving (if done right) because the big benefit would be to be able to drive (almost) any car at (almost) any location.

I'd be satisfied if we can just pull up at normal houses, average office buildings, and some nice sights to take photos at in-between, all connected with normal roads in a city environment, than maybe some mixed country locations/mountains with awesome roads to drive there, depends where the game would be set.

For me, it's about non restricted roads and the feel of driving in GT, not doing things I'd do
when I use a real car. That's why I'd rather support the idea of another developer team creating the open world and the actual game, while getting the (paid) permission to rely on PD's resources such as car models and graphic/sound/etc engines that they'd just alter a little to fit the game's concept, that saves time and money and it'd be rather possible than PD doing everything.

I'm guessing that was sarcasm.
No, I don't want this open world nonsense. Give me a good circuit racer with all the problems sorted out, then I can tolerate the open world game.

What open world game?

There are plenty of good, serious circuit racers out there, don't try to force GT into a corner it was never meant to occupy. That said, I think it could benefit from a sim-style sandbox mode to cater for setting up custom races, offline and online.

Looking at Andalucía / Ronda, I doubt we're going to get TDU or NFSU, so you needn't panic. It'll be the same game with an ineresting, open environment to explore, and set circuits in should you choose to. Doesn't sound like nonsense to me.

...This is proven when you look at the useless vehicles that PD chooses to spend their time on. They spend a month making a VW schwimmwagen....... in a racing game????...

GT5_logo.gif

"DRIVING SIMULATOR".

On topic I'd love free roam.

I just don't see the point. I also don't see the point of "cruising" rooms online.

I don't want PD to waste one second of development time when they still have issues to work out in the core game.

I just don't see the point. I also don't see the point of "cruising" rooms online.

I don't want PD to waste one second of development time when they still have issues to work out in the core game.
Same here, I don't see any point in it at all. There are plenty of games out there that do have free roam, none of which I like, partly because of the free roam.

When I get in a car in GT or other game I want to see the performance, push the limits of a car on a track not just drive around a town and look around waving at other drivers or girls on the street. That is not what games like GT are about.

If I want to cruise I will jump in my real life car and do so on a game it just doesn't mean much.

I don't think I'd like a PD free roam game. I loved the idea behind a free roam racing game with realistic physics until Forza Horizon came out, and really disliked that game. I'd like a mix of street and track racing. The funny thing is, Need For Speed Underground 2 already gave us that. That game gave us spots for street races and also designated places for track and drift off the streets. I could deal with the arcady feel of that game, it is still much better than Horizon.

Off topic, but on topic to earlier posts. I hate the whole "Driving Simulator" argument when someone brings up GT being a racing game. It makes no sense, when you know the game made up of racing and getting the best time around a track. There aren't any events to drop grandma off at the airport, and you know this. It sounds like an argument made up by someone who has never played a GT game.

pritchardqs
This game has hundreds of cars that aren't suited for racing.

It makes sense to have a mode where they are relevant.

It depends what you call suited for racing.

Can we go back to deciding whether or not GT6 should have free roam? I'm tired of the Forza vs. GT argument because it never gets anywhere.

Im solely a drifter in gt. Once I get to a circle track race that pays 60-100k for a three minute race, it's the furthest I make it in the game, and i repeat that race as i need cash to build cars. Hence an aspec level of like 16, and a bspec of 0. With that said, there is nothing I would lov more than a free roam city to street drift in.

Honestly, if nfs and td had gt's physics, I probably wouldn't gt.

This game has hundreds of cars that aren't suited for racing.

It makes sense to have a mode where they are relevant.
All cars are suited for racing so long as you are racing against other cars that have similar performance. It helps to be on the right kind of track as well. Would not be much fun to race the Midget II on Daytona Speedway for example but could be fun to race them on Autumn Ring mini.

I've always wanted a game that had proper physics and free roam. Ive always enjoyed to drive endlessly on free roam based games, but the terrible physics bore me after awhile. A game like gran turismo with mountain roads, dockyards, highways and logging paths would be very entertaining for me and many others. Especially for those who like cruising, drifting and rally.

I've always wanted a game that had proper physics and free roam. Ive always enjoyed to drive endlessly on free roam based games, but the terrible physics bore me after awhile. A game like gran turismo with mountain roads, dockyards, highways and logging paths would be very entertaining for me and many others. Especially for those who like cruising, drifting and rally.
It's why I liked the driving in GTA IV and didn't even care to buy Test Drive Unlimited. I thought about buying it, but the demo for the first one didn't have realistic physics and I heard that the second one was more of the same.

All cars are suited for racing so long as you are racing against other cars that have similar performance. It helps to be on the right kind of track as well. Would not be much fun to race the Midget II on Daytona Speedway for example but could be fun to race them on Autumn Ring mini.

true. Racing doesn't mean you need "Race" cars.

That means nothing when the debate is whether or not GT should have free roam and for what reasons should it or should it not have free roam.

I don't think we'll be seeing free roam until GT is on the PS4. The PS3 doesn't have the power. I would think that the city Course Maker locations and drawing out a course in them are the "first stage" in the order to free roam.

Andalucía / Ronda is the perfect place for "free roaming" - i.e. wandering about in an open environment. If you can pick and choose routes within what is essentially an open environment (obviously it has natural boundaries, and some imposed, unnatural ones, at its fullest extents), then there should be an option to drive that area with no particular route selected - i.e. as an open configuration.

That, in my book, is already free roam. If you want to add interactivity to that, or some kind of living world, that's very different, and is not the essence of free roaming - freedom of an open area is.
Whether we'll get that option remains to be seen, but it's the best way to discover where the best routes lie, so it's an essential part of the "pick your own circuit" mechanic, in my mind - I'd just enjoy the "side-effect" of being able to bimble around freely.

How important are physics when you're just driving around waving at other cars?

You could just as easily do that in Mario Kart.

It does add to the appeal, trust me my copy of TDU2 would've got a lot more use if it had even remotely good physics.

Back