Gran Turismo - Open World Freeroam? (Read OP)

Would you like an added free-roam mode in the Gran Turismo series?

• Yes

Votes: 1,107 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 268 19.5%

• Total voters
👍

Even if free roam isn't available in GT6 though, I would be happy with invisible barriers being removed from certain tracks. It's somewhat related to the OP, but take for example the Top Gear Test Track where all the grass space in the middle is blocked off by an invisible barrier. This feature is annoying and getting rid of it would allow for a more diverse and open "free roaming" opportunity.

I agree.. I hate that. And also make the barriers that actually are there softer, make dents in the metal barriers, rip the plastic bands off the "rally barriers" etc..

Special stage route X could be a good place to develop a small open world map, I mean they already have a highway like road as such. What if they expanded this with off ramps and on ramps. The boundaries could be the port edges and the hill tops. All they need to include is a small tokyo like city, resiential areas scattered around the city, an industrial area, large shopping mall car parks for car meets, winding roads that go all the way to the tops of the hills/map and maybe even an airport to just to finish it off. I know GT is meant to be the ultimate driving simulator, with the obvious focus on curcuit racing. Something like what I have said above could really make the game, a break maybe from curcuit racing - something fresh. Why not have the best of both worlds in one game? What do you think? Feel free to criticise and or add.

Yeah I know right. The potential is there. Would be great to have a small "map" to cruise around on to relax.
The best of both worlds, yes, yes, YES. Would make an intense and good racing sim, but at the same time a relaxing and realistic DRIVING sim.

Think of it as a break from the intense races. You're not in the mood for racing for a while after an intense race at Nurb. But you don't want to quit driving either. Would be relaxing to cruise around a city for a while until you're ready to get back into the action. Right?

Not so much, I have played several games with free roam and while that in itself was not to bad. I really hated the ones that force you to drive to the race location, not to mention the garages, parts stores, paint shops and such. Even worse the ones where you have to find them first. To me that is just a waste of time and I do not find it even vaguely entertaining.

If I want to take a relaxing drive there is no reason I can't do it on one of the tracks in either a slow car or just drive slow for a while and check out the scenery around the track though I find very little desire to do that.

I know a lot of people have asked for this and I am not totally against it but I would much much rather have a decent track added instead.

If on the other hand this free roam model would be attached to the track generation and expand the custom track options while not requiring you to drive free roam then it would be cool.

Not so much, I have played several games with free roam and while that in itself was not to bad. I really hated the ones that force you to drive to the race location, not to mention the garages, parts stores, paint shops and such. Even worse the ones where you have to find them first. To me that is just a waste of time and I do not find it even vaguely entertaining.

If I want to take a relaxing drive there is no reason I can't do it on one of the tracks in either a slow car or just drive slow for a while and check out the scenery around the track though I find very little desire to do that.

I know a lot of people have asked for this and I am not totally against it but I would much much rather have a decent track added instead.

If on the other hand this free roam model would be attached to the track generation and expand the custom track options while not requiring you to drive free roam then it would be cool.

This is a good point.. BUT, what if there was the option to either have a free roam based UI that included the dealership, gt auto, tuning shop and your safehouse per say that included your garage, aspec events, and community. And the option to have a menu based UI like we have now in gt5. Also, the free roam map would have to be availible online!

So long as there was a menu option that allowed to access them directly then no biggie so long as other parts of the game do not suffer from the resources required to do this.

Fine idea as long as they don't do something stupid like an automatic speed limiter or some kind of invisible cop that fines you when you go too fast.

Even better: some kind of "pace car" lightbar system that could be placed on any car with a choice of colors and styles. Then tell the manufacturers "hey, we never told the players to use this stuff for street racing and police chases! That was the playerbase's idea so you can't touch us!"

I firmly believe that Andalucia will be free roam, and I think it's going to be that the breaking news about content when hitting 5millions ;)
Maybe a small town (Ronda) with some roads going in and out. This could be the pilot run for GT7 on PS4 being completely free-roaming like someone stated above.

White & Nerdy
Fine idea as long as they don't do something stupid like an automatic speed limiter or some kind of invisible cop that fines you when you go too fast.

Even better: some kind of "pace car" lightbar system that could be placed on any car with a choice of colors and styles. Then tell the manufacturers "hey, we never told the players to use this stuff for street racing and police chases! That was the playerbase's idea so you can't touch us!"

I've got even better idea. No cops.

Maybe, there could be speed cams which take a photo if you're speeding. Then you'd be fined after few in-game days.

By the way, the open world should be more like in TDU games, including the stunning scenery. Unlike in TDU, the roads were too flat, wide and dull in Forza H.

Last edited:
Yes, I would like to drive cars on normal streets with stop signs and traffic lights; parallel parking and parking lots; winding country roads, long straight highways, and bumper to bumper city traffic.

You should be able to pull up to dealerships, pull in to car washes, and drop your car off at a mechanic's garage.

I want the full experience of driving an automobile.

I don't disagree that it would be a fun feature, but for me, it's a game about racing. If I want to cruise around, I would probably play a different sort of driving game. I'd rather see the racing and core game improved over a feature like this.

It's already the way I play it. Take a bone stock car of interest out somewhere nice to get to know it.
That is, once the scrimping of the early game has passed (that should be its own separate game mode), at any rate.

I go online for a race, usually shuffle, also to meet new cars, and because of its pickup nature - not interested in tuning with such an abstract and frankly weird system, either.
It'd be nice to have more control over the offline racing - I think that should be a separate sandbox mode, like a classic sim.

Here's how I see things. I don't think a city to free-roam would work with GT. It would need to be very detailed and that takes time and effort. I can't think of a game right now that offers a nice open world free-roam and circuit racing that doesn't take place in that free-roam environment. If that is implemented in GT I fear that the traditional circuit racing may suffer (less/lower quality tracks).
But the way make this work would be making a free roam harbor-like neighborhood or some kind of abandoned airport as it wouldn't need lots of details. Like that Tokyo harbor area in GRID 1, but bigger. Could be fun online and good for testing cars.
I voted no, but for the traditional city free-roaming.

It's already the way I play it. Take a bone stock car of interest out somewhere nice to get to know it.
That is, once the scrimping of the early game has passed (that should be its own separate game mode), at any rate.

I go online for a race, usually shuffle, also to meet new cars, and because of its pickup nature - not interested in tuning with such an abstract and frankly weird system, either.
It'd be nice to have more control over the offline racing - I think that should be a separate sandbox mode, like a classic sim.

Imagine how good it will be with the new maps such as Andalucia :)

Here's how I see things. I don't think a city to free-roam would work with GT. It would need to be very detailed and that takes time and effort. I can't think of a game right now that offers a nice open world free-roam and circuit racing that doesn't take place in that free-roam environment. If that is implemented in GT I fear that the traditional circuit racing may suffer (less/lower quality tracks).
But the way make this work would be making a free roam harbor-like neighborhood or some kind of abandoned airport as it wouldn't need lots of details. Like that Tokyo harbor area in GRID 1, but bigger. Could be fun online and good for testing cars.

Hey man, nice to see you around. Remember me from Jalop BR? :)

My personal opinion on this subject: I really think cruising and free driving have place on GT game, but not as it's main mode. GT is a Driving Simulator... not only racing, not only cruising... I think the word "driving" has a big scope.

Not that I would give priority to a city free roam, but most mixed scenarios with good and big roads passing thru cities would be great. Kinda in a "Targa Florio" way... that's what I think we're going to get with Andalucia map in Course Generator and other themes. :)

I really think cruising and free driving have place on GT game, but not as it's main mode. GT is a Driving Simulator... not only racing, not only cruising... I think the word "driving" has a big scope.

Not that I would give priority to a city free roam, but most mixed scenarios with good and big roads passing thru cities would be great. Kinda in a "Targa Florio" way... that's what I think we're going to get with Andalucia map in Course Generator and other themes. :)

Bull.

Forza's car list takes a big steaming dump on GT5's. Oh and by the way they are ALL "PREMIUM"

Remind me, why are you here? If you support Forza so openly, why are you on GTPlanet? There is no need to dis on Gran Turismo's car selection. And the last time I checked, Forza didn't have 800+ cars.

If we really can drive the whole of Ronda in a "free roam" style, I think it would be a very cool and brilliant addition to the game to have a "cruising" aspect to the game. An event might start cars in 10 second intervals at a fixed position and your goal is to navigate the map without exceeding the speed limit and reach a destination in the shortest amount of time. Penalties for exceeding the speed limit, driving off the official roads, etc. Anyone going X MPH over the speed limit automatically DQ'd (to avoid the trolls) Maybe include a GPS feature to help you navigate. Be great for kids and the very casual gamers and I think even the hardcore GT'ers would enjoy it once in a while.

I'm talking about on Playstation.

I don't have Forza and I have no idea what the car selection is like.

The car selection is phenomenal. Every time i find out a car that's not in GT5 i search if it's in Forza and it always is.

Forza > GT5. At everything but steering physics.

Oh yeah and did i mention they are ALL premium. Forza honestly :censored:s on GT5 as a video game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forza > GT5.

I really don't want to get into the whole Forza/GT5 argument, so I'll just say you should leave. Why on Earth you would go through all the trouble of creating a GTP account and then intentionally visiting threads that regard Gran Turismo as a game and it's future just to bash on it, is beyond me. Take your rude remarks and harsh language elsewhere.

What happens if you do it the other way round?

Every premium car worth driving in GT5 is in Forza, plus a whole slew of standards and entire manufacturers that are nowhere to be found in GT5. It's quite laughable really how far the gap is between them.

I really don't want to get into the whole Forza/GT5 argument, so I'll just say you should leave. Why on Earth you would go through all the trouble of creating a GTP account and then intentionally visiting threads that regard Gran Turismo as a game and it's future just to bash on it, is beyond me. Take your rude remarks and harsh language elsewhere.

Hey man i have defended the entire GT series many many times for all sorts of things over the years but i know when to admit it's faults.

It really has nothing to do with "hating" i've had GT5 since release and i'm still playing it in 2013. I love cars but i'm not blind to it's shortcoming or stubborn enough to ignore when another game on a different platform is far and away better. Which Forza as a full package is.

So relax.

Hey man, nice to see you around. Remember me from Jalop BR? :)

Of course I do! How could I forget? :dopey:

I understand what you're saying about free-roam. I think that a free-roam map like those of NFS games are too much for GT. I agree that free-roaming has a place in Gran Turismo and it shouldn't be it's priority, and that's why I think simpler, smaller maps like a harbor, airport, or a small village in a mountain would be more apropriate. That way the developers could dedicate almost as much time in them as in the tracks.

Hey man i have defended the entire GT series many many times for all sorts of things over the years but i know when to admit it's faults.

It really has nothing to do with "hating" i've had GT5 since release and i'm still playing it in 2013. I love cars but i'm not blind to it's shortcoming or stubborn enough to ignore when another game on a different platform is far and away better. Which Forza as a full package is.

So relax.

While I respect your honesty it's hard to compare the games on a level ground. They both initially have 2 different aims. The GT series is strictly aimed towards people that want a realistic driving experience, hence the "driving simulator" label that PD have given it, and as far as console games go it's been at the top in that area for the past decade or so.

Forza I see as more of a NFS, arcade-like experience with that extra push compared to other arcade games, with it's deep level of personal customization.

What I'm trying to say is, they're not necessarily aimed at different audiences, just perhaps a different corner of that audience.

Neither GT5 nor Forza have free-roam. What's the relevance?

(Oh, and Horizons is rubbish anyways, so I don't consider it, when I say that.)

While I respect your honesty it's hard to compare the games on a level ground. They both initially have 2 different aims. The GT series is strictly aimed towards people that want a realistic driving experience, hence the "driving simulator" label that PD have given it, and as far as console games go it's been at the top in that area for the past decade or so.

Forza I see as more of a NFS, arcade-like experience with that extra push compared to other arcade games, with it's deep level of personal customization.

What I'm trying to say is, they're not necessarily aimed at different audiences, just perhaps a different corner of that audience.

I disagree. They are both console sims.

(Oh, and Horizons is rubbish anyways, so I don't consider it, when I say that.)

What is rubbish about Horizon?

What is rubbish about Horizon?

The physics are, in my opinion, entirely wrong. There's no way any car, anywhere, should be doing 70-80 mp/h on a tight, winding gravel road, with an idiot driver, no dirt tires (I'm guessing probably sports tires, like Toyo Proxes or such) and no real suspension modifications. They've dumbed the physics down, taken away the race-track aspect, and basically ruined the only part of Forza I do like; Maple Valley Raceway. Seriously, once you remove Forza's awesome tracks, you're left with a pretty lacking game, with no rain, no weather change... No night time racing...

The track never changes. It's a game that feels all too bland and repetitive. The cars always seem to have perfect grip, until the driver pushes too hard. Then the grip is still linear, but just less prevalent.

And, then, suddenly, you take away the tracks, too? You're left with nothing.

Applying this to GT6; I'm hoping they don't remove any of the more classic GT tracks (Madrid is welcome to stay, Côte D'Azur is lovely, Cape Ring Inside is epic,) just to have a free-roam.

Now, if this "Free-roam" can be like PGR3, and give us a route creator that really does make fun tracks, I'll have no problem with saying goodbye to Eiger Nordwand, really, but... The proper closed circuit racing, I find, is more fun. Horizon took that out of Forza; no buy, no interest, permanent hatred.

Well forza horizon wasnt made by T10, its a spin off,therefore it wouldnt have the tracks from previous forzas so theres no need to assume that if GT6 had free roam we would lose tracks, and before it released they said it wouldnt be a simulator but instead more arcadey.Forza horizon was a decent game but the world itself was pretty bland imo.

This got off-topic, but there are only two cars that I like on the Forza car list that aren't in GT5.

But there are probably about 30 that are in GT5 that I do not see on that list.

Back