Gran Turismo - Open World Freeroam? (Read OP)

Would you like an added free-roam mode in the Gran Turismo series?

• Yes

Votes: 1,107 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 268 19.5%

• Total voters
That is exactly the point! Horizon is a "game" while GT claims to be the "real driving simulator" - no word about being a game! So we are not expected to have fun with GT - like you should have in a game! And also they didnt mention any kind of "racing" in the title. And then the unchallenging AI makes a lot of sense.
So whats stopping them putting in a real style freerom, town or city with traffic, signals and laws. Either on or off so you can drive how you want where you want with who you want.

That is exactly the point! Horizon is a "game" while GT claims to be the "real driving simulator" - no word about being a game! So we are not expected to have fun with GT - like you should have in a game! And also they didnt mention any kind of "racing" in the title. And then the unchallenging AI makes a lot of sense.

This will very well go against the opinion of many here... But I feel PD should treat GT6 a little bit more like a game. For the entertainment purposes at least. GTAcademy will bring forth ONE winner, but what about the rest of the world who play for entertainment and just because they like car culture?

GT5/6 are very lifeless titles as far as the racing/career is concerned imo. I don't think much of a storyline would help, but I feel there needs to be more of a definitive tree (branching path) that leads from beginner driver, to pro racer in the career mode. And every aspect of racing should be touched on with purpose.

Rally should have it's own beginners cup and championship, as should NASCAR, Karts, LMP, GT3, etc. And of course allow us to spicin' things up with some customizations and liveries, unlocking parts and cars along the way. There also needs to be a better reward system so that grinding becomes obsolete.

Rare/quality/iconic cars should each have their own event/race which unlocks that vehicle specifically. The better the car, the more difficult the event. Or, by the time you have finished the game, total earnings should have equated out to be above what it would take to fill your garage and fully tune your cars. Or at least with a maximum of 2-3 play-throughs. The WRC series getting you all the WRC class vehicles and mods, the D1 drift series getting you drift vehicles, etc. etc.

There should be an option for people who want to play for realism, and people who want to play for entertainment. Like speed factor/blur effect on/off. Liveries on/off. With both track racing and street racing as options (I'm not expecting PD to go NFS with it, but an open city/country roads/highway system without the barriers, rumble strips, & roadside confinements would be cool).

Idk, I'd like PD to take a subtle approach towards something exciting, interesting and new that doesn't alienate current fans and entices new ones with present day features and presentation (the menu layout/interactivity is dated). Someone even suggested motorcycles in another thread, and I think that'd be awesome if it was implemented well, sectioned off by class in races just like everything else, yet made available for free roaming/free-runs/online races/events "by choice".

I hope PD gets with the times and pioneer GT into something revolutionary and not stick to this Japanese "traditional-istic" nature we've been seeing. The GT series is progressing soooo slowly yet the competition just keeps coming with all theses innovative ideas that entice a wide margin of the internet racing market... I mean, how many people will actually use this GPS enabled track creator? Will it recreate elevation changes? Will it recreate scenery? Will the surrounding scenery be nice to look at or some bland, generic type of environment? And what about the kids and adults that play GT who don't have a license? Or even a vehicle?

Huh... Oh well... At least we have the VGT's...

Last edited:
This will very well go against the opinion of many here... But I feel PD should treat GT6 a little bit more like a game. For the entertainment purposes at least. GTAcademy will bring forth ONE winner, but what about the rest of the world who play just because they like car culture?...

I agree with most of your statements. Yes, the potential of GT is there. Sooooooo many cars, sooooo many tracks, soooooo many possibitlites. And yet PD manage to give us a boring "simulator" that can be finished within a few weeks. I am sorry to say that I lost my hope that PD finally makes a better game.

Right now I am looking for a good high end PC and as soon as I have that I am leaving console racing for good. It is a shame.

@LVracerGT and myself were playing GTA 5 the other day, finding twisty driving roads to have fun on, and I've come to the conclusion that this game (or future GTs) would benefit AMAZINGLY from an open world free roam. We were having more fun doing that with arcade physics than what we usually have on GT6 with near simulation physics. Just something to think about. ;)

@LVracerGT and myself were playing GTA 5 the other day, finding twisty driving roads to have fun on, and I've come to the conclusion that this game (or future GTs) would benefit AMAZINGLY from an open world free roam. We were having more fun doing that with arcade physics than what we usually have on GT6 with near simulation physics. Just something to think about. ;)

So what you're really saying is that an open world car game should be arcadey (IE not at all like GT6)?

Oh well... At least we have the VGT's...
But... we don't!
So what you're really saying is that an open world car game should be arcadey (IE not at all like GT6)?
I think he's saying that despite really liking sim-physics, he really digs the very arcadey but fun freeroam driving of GTA 5. If GT had freeroam driving like that, he and many others would never want to leave the house.

Oh... Yeah, that. Maybe when GT11 rolls around we'll get what we want.
:P
I think it will get that big on PS4. It will blow minds. You COULD do the theoretical 250,000+ hectare area with GT6, but you would be severely limited as to what you could do with it.

Wouldnt really be open world if its just one road, almost like saying the nurburgring is the only open world mode, no just no.

:P
I think it will get that big on PS4. It will blow minds. You COULD do the theoretical 250,000+ hectare area with GT6, but you would be severely limited as to what you could do with it.
Agreed, anything is possible in theory. Hence GT6's biggest flaw: its platform. Should have saved it for PS4. Who knows what the future holds in the next generation for not only GT but sim racing in general.

Should have saved it for PS4.
I wholeheartedly disagree. Me and many millions of other people would be rather upset if GT6 wasn't coming to our consoles, but rather to one we can't afford to, nor are interested in buying for a few years.
Who knows what the future holds in the next generation for not only GT but sim racing in general.
I do! Pretty, shiny things.

It could, though you do remember the subsequent news updates that said the track maker would be closer to 10x10km rather than 100x100km right?

I hope that by now, they've been able to increase the track size past it's 10x10km size limit. It would be really nice to have some sort offree-roaming/cruising local to drive/race in Gran Turismo.

I hope that by now, they've been able to increase the track size past it's 10x10km size limit. It would be really nice to have some sort of free-roaming/cruising locale to drive/race at in Gran Turismo.
That's possible, but details about the the course creator have been scant lately, so nobody knows. I'm sure they'll once again try for their crazy 100x100km goal on PS4, best of luck to them.

There is forza motorsport series which are like gran turismo series but forza has an online game release which is forza horizon is a free roam online game.. it would be nice gran turismo have a new release or in gran turismo 6 that will be the same thing.. free roam in a big map.. solo or online with other players.. and also.. to fix the graphics all of the cars.. and to add some old cars like bmw m3 e30 and e36 and others like these..

Sorry for my bad english :P

Yes, I want free roam in GT. It would be fun for me and we could make a car park or a highway... Or even a garage on the roads! :D

But yes, the coarse maker should include some sort of "free-roam" feature. That would make up for so much disappointment.
I was driving around Madrid yesterday (and in the game), and noticed that there's a fair bit of "extension" to the side roads and such. Moreso than London or Rome. So there's potential there for a nice, small "free" area.

I think that for all of the locations with more than one configuration, it'd be nice to have an "open" configuration as a "minimum", then an autocross editor on top of that would be great. (Yes, precisely à la Live For Speed.)

When I was plugging away on first Test Drive Unlimited there was this constant thought running in my head: this would be much, much more awesome if Polyphony made a GT game like this. Maybe not possible on PS3 hardware, but on PS4? Yes. Yes it's possible.
Imagine: GT Freedom (tentative title), a new generation of pure driving game for the new generation of console! Map based on real world location of XXXXX (wherever it's interesting) featuring Premium Quality Cars numbering near 500! With all the modding and tuning options present in every GT game so far! Accurate time-of-day effects! Rain and Snow! Varying AI! Most accurate physics in console racing game genre!! Ability to take the untamed wilds, off-roading style! Bikes! RVs! And as a bonus, a Bakers dozen of world renowned circuits to test the limit of that racing car! Create-a-track feature! Online mode akin to Demon Souls games!
There are soooo much potential for this. Instead of trying to turn all standard cars into Premium and waste massive amount of time, just outsource that and do this, at least.
There's a reason why Turn 10, and Microsoft decided to branch out Forza brand into an open world racer. To me, it seems to have paid in dividends, what with DriveClub and Crew vying for Forza Horizon crown.
And when Midnight Club and Test Drive franchises get going again.....

Back