Gran Turismo - Open World Freeroam? (Read OP)

Would you like an added free-roam mode in the Gran Turismo series?

• Yes

Votes: 1,107 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 268 19.5%

• Total voters
You'd think we'd be able to drive around in Andalucia, right?

Kaz said we'll be able to make our own courses there, so I'd expect so.

Stuff about the course creator starts at 13 minutes, 50 seconds.
At 14:50: "You can lay out your track in this [Andalucian] scenery"

Kaz said we'll be able to make our own courses there, so I'd expect so.

Stuff about the course creator starts at 13 minutes, 50 seconds.
At 14:50: "You can lay out your track in this [Andalucian] scenery"

It's probably like in GT5, Eiffel Circuit was a grass layout, in GT6 you will have a City layout in the Course creator.

It's probably like in GT5, Eiffel Circuit was a grass layout, in GT6 you will have a City layout in the Course creator.

Maybe. I think the screenshot that was up on the projector when Translator-san said "this scenery" might suggest not, as it was clearly Ronda. I don't think the other style of course creator is going anywhere, either, since Kaz said the algorithm has been improved. A "City" theme might be fun, though.

I guess we'll have to wait for them to demo it.

Not a bad idea, pertty cool for cruzeing around. Will give me something different to do besides time triel lap. But it's not a major priority game content like getting reid of standerds is.

:idea:It would be awesome if we can use the freeroam as a menu. For instance, we could drive from Home to GT AUTO, to the dealership or to any event spot.

:idea:It would be awesome if we can use the freeroam as a menu. For instance, we could drive from Home to GT AUTO, to the dealership or to any event spot.

Yes!!! +13567!!!
Think of the menu map in GT1!!! It looked like a city with several car dealers and so on... In GT4, it was a world map, but that'd be too huge, I think :lol:, but a little GT-Town would be awesome...:)

yes! i also thought about something like that, would be pretty cool!

You have no idea how many people have said that they hate this idea. I wouldn't mind it. I think one excuse was that "this isn't grand theft auto!!!" just like the idea of free roam itself.

I think it would be too risky having it like this even though it's something I'm interested in seeing.

Last edited:
Well 3 things that i know "some" people ask for. 1) freerom 2) more customization 3) livery editor ...........so pretty much n4s Underground style. This isnt a racing game, its a driving sim, and whats the best way to sim racing? To show every aspect of it, driving to the garage, shops, tracks, home etc a good simulation of real racing. Ok so no cross country driving like crew or drive club but you cod still drive through monaco or london or paris to get to tracks ATFER getting off a ferry etc.

Its also why i feel sponsorship and team hiring should also be added.

Well since were supposedly getting 2500 square kilometers track editor. I think our prayers have been answered.

I won't be calling it 'till I actually see a free roam environment, preferably with online capabiliy. Hopefully there'll be a freeway loop somewhere as well, or at least a fairly straight, secluded road that could be looped with other such roads and used as a substitute-freeway.

The only way I'd like a "free roam" mode would be in some events like the special event Grand Tour in GT5, instead of showing that presentation you'd drive to the place of the next event.

Free roaming was never confirmed or even suggested at by Kaz. Until there's confirmation, temper your expectations. It seems to only be a possibility from our perspective.

JacksonSilva
The only way I'd like a "free roam" mode would be in some events like the special event Grand Tour in GT5, instead of showing that presentation you'd drive to the place of the next event.

I'd rather have tracks that are connected together than having free roam mode in the next game.

Do you mean this thread should never have been existed ?:drool:
haha No. I want free roam. People are making it sound it's been confirmed is all. Kaz said they thought about a free roam where traffic laws are obeyed and such, but that was for GT5. Nothing has been said about free roam in GT6. It only seems like a probability/possibility (we can't be sure) that GT6 will have free roam.

Free roam would be absolutely perfect for me. I could ignore all the little faults of GT if it meant having free roam. Keep in mind that there is not a game on the market that has both realistic physics AND free roam. I feel like that would really boost sales too.

Free roam would be absolutely perfect for me. I could ignore all the little faults of GT if it meant having free roam. Keep in mind that there is not a game on the market that has both realistic physics AND free roam. I feel like that would really boost sales too.

Forza Horizon sure does.

Free roaming was never confirmed or even suggested at by Kaz......

In previous news...
Gran Turismo 5 November 30th, 2010 by Jordan
Kazunori Yamauchi has been fielding questions from fans on Twitter over the past few hours. The tweets are in Japanese, but with a little help from Google and medhi_san, we can get a pretty good idea of what he’s talking about. Here’s the highlights:

•Flexible camera angles and “dynamic and wide-area lighting needs” are to blame for the sometimes blocky shadows. Yamauchi admits they are a problem and wants to improve them.
•Yamauchi appears to consider the possibility of removing the in-game HUD (heads-up-display features) at some point in the future.
•To unlock the Red Bull X1, you’ll need to complete the “Sebastian Vettel Challenge”, which appears at Level 30.
•Online “lounge” functionality and other features will be added “one by one”.
•Polyphony Digital continues to work on fully supporting the Logitech G25 and G27, though Yamauchi admits he would like a “new steering device soon”…
•Mechanical damage options will be implemented in a new update for GT5 coming “early December”.
•As you may know, many players noticed that GT5‘s face-tracking functionality only worked in Arcade mode. According to Yamauchi, it’s not available in GT mode due to memory issues with the PS3.
•In-game rewards (such as the monetary prize in GT5 Prologue) for your performance in online events is something Polyphony Digital is considering, and may be implemented in a future update.
•Gran Turismo 5‘s official, 2-disc sound-track will be released soon.
•Yamauchi wanted to implement a “free roam” gameplay mode in GT5, where players could drive around, respecting speed limits and obeying traffic laws, and even exit the car to walk around and explore the environment on foot.
•The YouTube replay upload feature had to be pulled from the final version of the game because it took a very long time to render and it consumed too much memory. Yamauchi is still considering it, however.

In previous news...

Gran Turismo 5 November 30th, 2010 by Jordan
Yamauchi wanted to implement a “free roam” gameplay mode in GT5, where players could drive around, respecting speed limits and obeying traffic laws, and even exit the car to walk around and explore the environment on foot.
Nothing for GT6 though, and I already mentioned and referenced that
haha No. I want free roam. People are making it sound it's been confirmed is all. Kaz said they thought about a free roam where traffic laws are obeyed and such, but that was for GT5. Nothing has been said about free roam in GT6. It only seems like a probability/possibility (we can't be sure) that GT6 will have free roam.

Hopefully someone in the next interview could bring this up? JORDAN.............. Maybe at the tokyo game show?

Forza Horizon sure does.

I disagree with that. While Horizon doesn't feel like Ridge Racer or something like that it is nowhere near the level of Gran Turismo or Forza Motorsport, in fact Shift 2: Unleashed felt better to me. There is a few realistic parts in Horizon but I personally don't think the game is realistic.

As for the OP, yeah, I'd love to see a free roam option for Gran Turismo but only after the rest of the games faults were fixed.

Back