Gran Turismo Physics(Poll)

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 335 comments

What do you think about Gran Turismo Physics?

• GT6 Physics is simcade and I like it,I do not want GT Physics to become simulation.

Votes: 55 9.0%
  • GT6 Physics is simcade,this is not good enough for me I want simulation physics.

Votes: 150 24.4%
  • GT6 Physics is simulation.

Votes: 89 14.5%
  • GT6 physics is simulation, but I want even better simulation physics

Votes: 320 52.1%

• Total voters
The GT6 physics are much better than some people think they are. Not a perfect simulation, but pretty darn close! Players that come from Gran Turismo can become competive racing drivers, I think that proves Gran Turismo has pretty accurate physics. It's not an F1 top-secret simulator, they cost much, much more, but, considering the price for which you can get GT, it's brilliant. And on console. Another thing to add.

I really think the physics on GT are fairly good, therefore I voted for simulation. I think racegame physics on the PS3 can't get better than it is on GT6. It is quite accurate compared to real life and I don't notice many physics flaws/errors.

Whatever the definition of GT physics, i want it to be improved and closer to a real simulator...
The GT6 physics are much better than some people think they are. Not a perfect simulation, but pretty darn close! Players that come from Gran Turismo can become competive racing drivers, I think that proves Gran Turismo has pretty accurate physics. It's not an F1 top-secret simulator, they cost much, much more, but, considering the price for which you can get GT, it's brilliant. And on console. Another thing to add.
It is

Games should only be considered simcade if the developers deliberately adjusted the physics to allow more accessibility to make it easier for everyone to get into (Project Gotham Racing, Driveclub, Rallisport Challenge, Grid Autosport). GT6 strives to be a realistic driving simulator, therefore it is simulation.

There should have been an option for "GT6 physics is simulation, but I want even better simulation physics."

Racing simulations on computers can range from, say, Atari's Pole Position to Red Bull Professional simulator (there are others examples). If you define Pole Position to be zero on that scale and RB's sim to be 100, I could say that Gran turismo is definitely above 50, and therefore it's a sim.

It would be an interesting experiment to define, just for fun, where every major racing game in history fits in a scale like this. For instance, Grand Prix Legends could be 75, Gran Turismo 67, Mario Kart 11, Atari's Enduro 4, rFactor 81, and so on...

Players that come from Gran Turismo can become competive racing drivers, I think that proves Gran Turismo has pretty accurate physics.
... i don't think so: they are fast - independent of GT - not because ... GTA is Nissan *marketing*.
And the other proof (not from you): the stars are accurate -> the game is a simulator ;) r.

Hello GTPlanet members
I want to know what do you want about GT Physics.
For me GT physics is simcade and I want GT physics to become simulation,what about you?
You've really opened a can of worms Mr. Oversteer:cheers:. I'd like GT to move much closer to simulation but I just don't think simulation is for the masses or for the typical GT customer. As many people are fond of pointing out, we aren't the typical GT customer here at GTP, we are the diehards and don't really represent the interests of your typical consumer.

The closest thing to simulation in GT has been the Time Trials on realistic tires and generally participation was less than 1% based on units sold in GT5, and estimated at around 2% in the brand new GT6. If people really wanted sim physics and sim-type challenges you'd think that participation in TT's would be much, much higher. Same goes for online racing where most rooms feature RS tires or tires way above the grade that would typically come with the car. If there was a desire for sim-racing in GT, open lobbies would be peppered with street car lobbies on CS and SH tires, and race car lobbies on RH but those are few and far between.

You've really opened a can of worms Mr. Oversteer:cheers:. I'd like GT to move much closer to simulation but I just don't think simulation is for the masses or for the typical GT customer. As many people are fond of pointing out, we aren't the typical GT customer here at GTP, we are the diehards and don't really represent the interests of your typical consumer.

The closest thing to simulation in GT has been the Time Trials on realistic tires and generally participation was less than 1% based on units sold in GT5, and estimated at around 2% in the brand new GT6. If people really wanted sim physics and sim-type challenges you'd think that participation in TT's would be much, much higher. Same goes for online racing where most rooms feature RS tires or tires way above the grade that would typically come with the car. If there was a desire for sim-racing in GT, open lobbies would be peppered with street car lobbies on CS and SH tires, and race car lobbies on RH but those are few and far between.

Yeah, sims are hard, modern society is lazy. So most people just go casual...

... i don't think so: they are fast - independent of GT - not because ... GTA is Nissan *marketing*.
And the other proof (not from you): the stars are accurate -> the game is a simulator ;) r.

But they do learn the track and car behaviour from GT. They are very young so obviously they don't have much real life racing experience. So they get some from GT.

The main things I think needed to be fixed physics wise is the always trail brake for speed that would only severely overheat tires and be hard on brakes in real life. So mostly braking and tire models.

Therefor PD should consider separate GT Pro game or mode.

I would call GT6 a semi-simulator (Simcade sounds stupid) because it has both elements of an arcade racer, and a hardcore PC simulator racer. I'm happy with that and I think they shouldn't care too much about the physics because they need to bring the 'fun' back since GT3.

As it stands right now, GT6 is the best driving simulator on the market. It isn't the best it possibly can be, or as good as it should be, but its still the best they've made so far. Not a big deal that it's slightly arcade-y, makes the casual gamer more likely to purchase it, but PD focusing on "simulation" hasn't produced a game yet that has real world accuracy.

If they want to make a game true to simulation, they'll need to discard the arcade aspects of the game(as well as the playerbase that would purchase such a game) and focus on 100% real world physics without compromise. It won't be fun, it won't be nearly as popular as it is now, but it would be worthy of training a driver on. They will never produce such a game because it won't gross the money that was put into it. Instead, PD will continue to balance the physics of GT on a double-edge'd sword to make sure both hardcore and casual gamers continue purchasing their product.

If people really wanted sim physics and sim-type challenges you'd think that participation in TT's would be much, much higher.
The fact that those time trials only accept times for 2 weeks and they are often using a car/track combo that does not appeal to a lot of people severely limits the number of people who bother with them.

As for the people I know the physics has nothing to do with the decision to not bother with them. Instead it is that they are not in the mood to drive it in the allotted time span, they don't like the track/car/tire/tune combo they are forced to use.

We desperately need a full leaderboard system that does not limit times to those posted in a two week period and does not delete them after 4 weeks and we need the ability to run time trails on any track in any car we like.

I have ran in a few of the TTs in GT5 and in most of them in GT6 so far but I have not bothered to try and post a good time in any of them. IMO it is just a waste of time as that time will just get removed in a few days anyway and even if you get near the top to me that is meaningless as you are only competing against the small percentage of drivers who drove the trial during that 2 week period.

Back