Gran Turismo Sport delayed to 2017

• Thread starter Pophead
  • 1,859 comments
I don't know why people still keep saying January, they are not releasing a major first party game with less than a month of promotion and build up. The game has only been delayed once so far, and before that they were already extremely quiet, the game wasn't in promo mode.

For as long as they haven't announced a release date, whatever the current date is, add 3 months. That is the earliest it's coming out. As an example, Mass Effect Andromeda just got a release date of March 21st yesterday.

Some games get a longer window though, it could be 4-5 months from the announcement. Like the second time Uncharted 4 was delayed, it was announced in December for April, 5 months later. The subsequent delay announcements were closer to release date, but that's because promotion was already in full swing, it didn't need a big build up. However even the last small delay was announced two months before the release date.

Forget January and February. Unless an announcement is imminent, forget March.

Come off it @samus They can announce and release when they want. They do not need months of time to do anything. That is a throwback to the days of magazine lead times. This is the age of instant notification and you know it.

Come off it @shamus They can announce and release when they want. They do not need months of time to do anything. That is a throwback to the days of magazine lead times. This is the age of instant notification and you know it.

They could. It would be extremely foolish to do so.

Like any big game they would prefer to build hype and have big day one sales. That's far safer than relying on the game's excellence and word of mouth. And for that they need time to get the hype train rolling. However instant you may think notifications are these days, it still takes time for information to disseminate through a community.

They could. It would be extremely foolish to do so.

Like any big game they would prefer to build hype and have big day one sales. That's far safer than relying on the game's excellence and word of mouth. And for that they need time to get the hype train rolling. However instant you may think notifications are these days, it still takes time for information to disseminate through a community.
I know that, but it doesn't take Months.

Come off it @samus They can announce and release when they want. They do not need months of time to do anything. That is a throwback to the days of magazine lead times. This is the age of instant notification and you know it.

They may not need it but they still do it. Tell me the last AAA title to get released almost instantly after announcing the date? I mean I obviously don't follow every game, so I may be wrong, but from my experience except when the promo is already done/in full force and it's a very minor delay, games release a few months after the announcement at the least. Indies do it, but yeah, GTS isn't an indie.

They may not need it but they still do it. Tell me the last AAA title to get released almost instantly after announcing the date? I mean I obviously don't follow every game, so I may be wrong, but from my experience except when the promo is already done/in full force and it's a very minor delay, games release a few months after the announcement at the least. Indies do it, but yeah, GTS isn't an indie.
And ypu continue to miss the point. WE ARE NOT living in the same age this strategy was developed for. Magazine lead times. Or are you still living in the 90s?

No, I'm living in the present, where games release dates are still announced 3+ months before the date.
Just when is it they are going to announce GTS then? :lol: I know, what about Copper box! Do you think that would be a good place to do it? :lol:

And just because someone does something the same way it's been done before does NOT mean it is the right thing to do.

Just when is it they are going to announce GTS then? :lol: I know, what about Copper box! Do you think that would be a good place to do it? :lol:

And just because someone does something the same way it's been done before does NOT mean it is the right thing to do.

You know what I mean, GTS as it stands does not currently have a release date. It had one, now it doesn't, so a new one needs announcing.

Yes, they could release the game within two months of that announcement, whenever it may come, but it is extremely unlikely IMO, based on the current industry standards. When it comes to dates, PD are the last company I expect to do something out of the ordinary in terms of speed.

Then we can expect an unofficial 'septemberish' annoucement from them too ;)

I think you mean they do one in Augustish for a Novemberish release and then Novemberish comes near to be delayed once again into 2018ish.

I hear ya. Getting so tired waiting now I actually just found myself checking through reviews of the other racing games for my PS4 which is sitting on the side waiting. Might actually consider buying one of the others (I see Project Cars got some good reviews) if no announcement or delivery for GTsport is announced soon, say 1-3 months.
I actually got a VR and bought DriverClub VR just for that reason. (The VR is awesome though). Cant wait to see wht GT does with the VR

Then we can expect an unofficial 'septemberish' annoucement from them too ;)
Well we should hope to God that they announce a March or April release date today if we want it as early as September. A November 2016 release was too late, so it can't possibly come soon enough.

I actually got a VR and bought DriverClub VR just for that reason. (The VR is awesome though). Cant wait to see wht GT does with the VR
If it weren't for Assetto Corsa and maybe Dirt Rally, I swear I would have sold this stupid PS4. PD are screwing this all up for themselves. Depending on how AC evolves this year, GTS may never see much of me at all. I'll buy it of course. No matter how cringe-inducing the cars sound.

And ypu continue to miss the point. WE ARE NOT living in the same age this strategy was developed for. Magazine lead times. Or are you still living in the 90s?
The original release date of Novemeber was announced months beforehand. They missed that date anyways, but still, I can't recall a time where a game was launched in the same month it was announced. This being a delayed announcement now, it's a slightly different situation, but it don't think it'll make it that much more likely to be the case.

The original release date of Novemeber was announced months beforehand. They missed that date anyways, but still, I can't recall a time where a game was launched in the same month it was announced. This being a delayed announcement now, it's a slightly different situation, but it don't think it'll make it that much more likely to be the case.

Indeed. As I say ~3 months seems to be the minimum for big AAA titles, then anything up to 6 months or more. Again as said previously, just yesterday Mass Effect Andromeda had it's new release date revealed, and that is March 21st, just a little under the 3 months.

Indeed. As I say ~3 months seems to be the minimum for big AAA titles, then anything up to 6 months or more. Again as said previously, just yesterday Mass Effect Andromeda had it's new release date revealed, and that is March 21st, just a little under the 3 months.
Hell, I've been following Ghost Recon Wildlands, and they had a release date announced back at E3 for March 2017. I admit that's a bit long in most cases, but still, it's incorrect to assume that this really isn't the norm.

No?

So can you point out multiple AAA games that have released this generation that haven't had at least two months between the release date announcement and arriving on shelves?

Phew, it's a good thing we have someone here to tell us the right way, then. This sounds remarkably similar to the 20% comment from a few days ago.

Polyphony Digital doesn't need a dedicated event to announce a launch date. It doesn't even need to announce one at any event: Naughty Dog's final Uncharted 4 announcement came on Sony's blog — still 10 weeks before release — and went on to sell over 8.5 million copies.

In fact, I'd be very surprised if Sony gives PD another dedicated event, outside of a release party.

I would have said at least a couple of months would be sensible. One month is cutting it pretty fine. This seems to jive with current industry practice, as everyone has pointed out for the last page. So yeah, months plural makes sense to me.

It doesn't have to be that way, Polyphony could technically release it tomorrow if they wanted. But they won't. Because they're not idiots.

To be honest, I expect an announcement sometime this month, but I think that's a little too optimistic. I don't know why I think this game will release in March, I just feel as though it would be a good time given that Forza 7 and Project Cars 2 is coming out later in the year. I would be so pissed if GT Sport came out in the second half of the year. I can't wait that long for a GT on PS4, Kaz.

I'm curious as to how many more cars they news to add. The full car list could have been revealed close to the previous November date. Could have been revealed last month.

We didn't need pics(I do), but a car list reveal would help the wait. Even if they are adding another 40-50 years this year, those could be revealed at game launch.

Sony First Party/Second Party schedule
January: Gravity Rush 2
February: Ni-Oh
February/March (EU): Horizon Zero Dawn
March: MLB 17 The Show

so late April or later in the year

Before one can speculate date of release, one would have to have received the first new round of screenshot dumps? Surely?

Before one can speculate date of release, one would have to have received the first new round of screenshot dumps? Surely?

1h8zd2.jpg

Apologies. I should have qualified that with 'so as not to have just be flicking through a calendar and stopping randomly' for a compass like the last pages.

Currently it's like standing on the deck of the good ship Lollipop and pissing in the wind, but yeah it's not a pre-requisite.

It will always boil down to PD breaking cover. The next 'new' round of stuffs dropped should trigger this 'months' long hype train.

As usual it's the radio silence that means everything is rinsed in the only really living thread in this section at present, so I understand, this threads been there and back again and the game isn't even out.

Guess away, I just think we're obviously in need of the new jumping off point and only one entity can do it, so we're at least informed again.

Last edited:
Back