Gran Turismo Sport delayed to 2017

• Thread starter Pophead
  • 1,859 comments
That's the thing though, they aren't charting some new unexplored territory. They making an even more niche game than they where before. Online-only games don't tend to sell as well as those that has a good founded offline campaign, of a similar game type. Hell, even games that have a prime focus like that of COD have marginally small player bases compared to the amount sold, as you can see from the amount of players on at any given time.

This over complication with realism is exactly what GTS is doing, no? FIA sanctioned game, real life licenses. This is exactly what you're saying is what you think faults others, and it very much fits in this instance. It's leading to an even more niche product.

If you know absolutely nothing about cars, racing, and whatnot, you may have a point. If your a fan of the genre, you basically know whats coming out and what it entails, for the most part. I'm fairly positive that we can get a handful of people from this forum and show them the cover of the most recent racing games and expect them to guess the correct answer of what you'd be able to find within it. The thing is, these types of game don't really go well with the general video gaming populace, so they obviously aren't going to know either or, even if there are bullet points. They aren't going to know the difference between the advertised Nurburgring, or the fictional tracks.

The fact of the matter though is that, no, there is not racing games everywhere. Those games listed have as much as a 2-3 year release date difference. However, I still stand firm with the fact that this is only gradually increasing and getting better for us, not worse.

I don't agree with that. I honestly believe that GT5's and GT6's online always set up provided PDI with a who did what and how far in the offline portions of those games. One could debate quality and such, but I have read various times that the majority of people don't finish single-player portions of games. My point is that everyone who games understands what competitive online gaming is.

In my opinion, PDI isn't doing that with licenses and competitions from real world sporting entities. Why wouldn't it be perceived in a similar fashion that NFL and FIFA games are? What I was actually referring to (apologies for the confusion) was tuning and other realistic depictions. It's still a video game after all.

If all PDI and Turn 10 (for example) are doing is just cater to existing purchasers of racing games, then you may have a point. As with any product produced for the masses, what you sell should be for about every potential customer. I mean, how many people who buy Gran Turismo also buy ProjectCars and Driveclub? How many of those who purchases FM6 also grab Assetto Corsa and Need For Speed? I would imagine a majority of racing fans buy more than one title during the drought between new editions of their favorite games. All I have been saying is that someone out there in the development land needs to figure out how to get all those GTA5 customers to buy a console sim game. I believe that Gran Turismo still has the best chance to do so, although time is running out.

And I still stand firm that way to many games are doing the same thing.

Well, this is a discussion forum dedicated to a video game. It's pretty nerdy and hardcore. We're not prospective customers looking to buy one product or the other, we're getting into (admittedly pointless) nitty gritty and anal details about the game and the people making it. That's why you get comparisons between productivity of studios, it's not because we're considering a purchase and it's something that matters in that. Obviously no sane person would do that. We're all already GT customers.
Yep, I understand what you're saying.
And I'm all good with people going down that road. 👍

I was just putting forward my, I guess somewhat more casual, approach to the scenario being discussed.

DCI P3 covers approximatively 70% of the Rec.2020 color gamut, and the top tier SUHD currently still do not cover it entirely. Are you suggesting you can get rid of (gamut clipping) a third of your content’s colour palette without that ever getting noticeable?

Yes it will be noticeable, I'm not really disputing that. But there's going to be that same reduction whichever output was chosen. With Rec.2020 though, there's presumably going to be continual increments in compliance, and the extra work involved is not that much.

Of course there isn't. We didn't even hear about the delay of the beta until AFTER it was supposed to have been released. I'm merely noting that there's been a pattern with the last couple of games that appears to be something that is Polyphony's style. Whether they continue that in GTS is to be seen.

Ah OK, my original point was about the reasons for the game's delay, so I didn't quite realize you weren't discussing that.

Yes it will be noticeable, I'm not really disputing that. But there's going to be that same reduction whichever output was chosen. With Rec.2020 though, there's presumably going to be continual increments in compliance, and the extra work involved is not that much.

Sure displays will continue to evolve and eventually may soon cover all of the gamut (color at least - full luma range could be a different story).

Yet, I don’t agree that the reduction would end up being the same, as a less experimental take would undoubtedly lead to more predicable results. Bragging about superior accuracy while leaving your content at the goodwill of your output peripheral is a bit paradoxical. (Possibly as is compromising today to future-proof tomorrow.)

All HDR displays are not born equal, and a marginal approach to the format can only further underline this, with end results varying greatly upon manufacturer/model. Maybe it’s just me but I’d still prefer that quality was content dictated rather than device dependent.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/products/
The turn around time between GT2 & GT3, was a year and four months. And that was on a new system.

If they just left out the HDR thing, we all could be playing this game for the past year or two. We'd be waiting for GT8 with improved graphics(HDR) and maybe a ported 500+ car list in 2018. GTS may have had more cars at a 2015 launch or maybe 50 more cars via DLC, realistically, by end of this year.

No doubt sound and AI patches, would have been the norm by now.

<----Still hoping for January.

I think ol' Al has a thought relating to this:

upload_2017-1-2_14-42-57.png

I mean, I appreciate the optimism, but there's absolutely no signs for a January release.

I think ol' Al has a thought relating to this:

View attachment 617856

I mean, I appreciate the optimism, but there's absolutely no signs for a January release.

I hear ya. Getting so tired waiting now I actually just found myself checking through reviews of the other racing games for my PS4 which is sitting on the side waiting. Might actually consider buying one of the others (I see Project Cars got some good reviews) if no announcement or delivery for GTsport is announced soon, say 1-3 months.

I hear ya. Getting so tired waiting now I actually just found myself checking through reviews of the other racing games for my PS4 which is sitting on the side waiting. Might actually consider buying one of the others (I see Project Cars got some good reviews) if no announcement or delivery for GTsport is announced soon, say 1-3 months.

You might as well. I mean, even if you don't end up liking pCARS it's gotta be pretty cheap by now. And if anything, it's probably a reasonable approximation of what GTS will be like as a game.

You might as well. I mean, even if you don't end up liking pCARS it's gotta be pretty cheap by now. And if anything, it's probably a reasonable approximation of what GTS will be like as a game.
This is true. I rarely used road cars. I was stuck in GT3, GT4, Group A DTM.

Well, this is a discussion forum dedicated to a video game. It's pretty nerdy and hardcore. We're not prospective customers looking to buy one product or the other, we're getting into (admittedly pointless) nitty gritty and anal details about the game and the people making it. That's why you get comparisons between productivity of studios, it's not because we're considering a purchase and it's something that matters in that. Obviously no sane person would do that. We're all already GT customers.

Or, we were GT customers, if I may add. Some of us are actually prospective customers now that we reached a point where we feel our needs aren't satisfied anymore with our product of choice and that, unsurprisingly, leaves us with a bit of frustration and nostalgia. That's the reason behind my attitude, and I believe I'm not the only one. Back then, I didn't even think about it: it was PlayStation or nothing purely because of Gran Turismo. Now? I can't be bothered to fix my PS3 and use it just for Netflix. PS4? Screw that, I'll get meself a proper PC to play R3E and Forza. I wan't my money in the pockets of people who actually care about their fanbase, not imbeciles that proclaim themselves "genius artists of mimesis" and ruin a once great franchise. The constant delays, the disregard for customer input and the atrocious lack of attention to detail...enough is enough.

I still think PD are working on mobile apps. If we can use our phones for just about everything, using phones and tablets seems like the next thing.

In order to us the course maker, player needs a phone or tablet. Since someone pointed out PDI aren't interested in using PCs, I'm betting on mobile devices. They spent 3 yeas on visual tech. Phones and tablets connect to TVs.

It just wouldn't make sense to have FIA events only visible on the console. What if I'm out and a want to watch an even? Will there be an option to record replays or will the organisers record them for YouTube? If I could watch from my mobile device, it makes sense.

Who knows what other features we're getting, that may be the cause for the delay. If it's AI, car list, graphics, physics, sounds. Fine. However, if the delays extend to event spectating, game customisation and community interaction via mobile devices, PD could be changing the way we play.

I still think PD are working on mobile apps. If we can use our phones for just about everything, using phones and tablets seems like the next thing.

In order to us the course maker, player needs a phone or tablet. Since someone pointed out PDI aren't interested in using PCs, I'm betting on mobile devices. They spent 3 yeas on visual tech. Phones and tablets connect to TVs.

It just wouldn't make sense to have FIA events only visible on the console. What if I'm out and a want to watch an even? Will there be an option to record replays or will the organisers record them for YouTube? If I could watch from my mobile device, it makes sense.

Who knows what other features we're getting, that may be the cause for the delay. If it's AI, car list, graphics, physics, sounds. Fine. However, if the delays extend to event spectating, game customisation and community interaction via mobile devices, PD could be changing the way we play.

That wouldn't explain why the visual assets looked woefully unfinished at most events last year, and that we've seen so few of them in total.

They very well may be working on apps and extra interactivity but I'm pretty sure they were just behind on the main game parts as well. It's hardly unprecedented, it wasn't apps that delayed previous games.

That wouldn't explain why the visual assets looked woefully unfinished at most events last year, and that we've seen so few of them in total.

They very well may be working on apps and extra interactivity but I'm pretty sure they were just behind on the main game parts as well. It's hardly unprecedented, it wasn't apps that delayed previous games.
Certainly. Just the vehicle telemetry and course maker was delayed then introduced in GT6. If PD are trying to perfect the game(visually), they could still release the game when that aspect is satisfied. With or without apps.

If they are trying to perfect the whole game(doubt it, but we'll see) experience, maybe they'll have a complete game ready. If GTS comes loaded with apps for off-console play(manage garage, trade/share liveries, GT Live[spectate races], view/share replays, course maker, telemetry for Nissan or Toyota), maybe this gave them time to bundle it properly.

No doubt none of what I mentioned, mightn't have been a thought. I'm not a developer so, maybe apps like that, can be trialed and done in less time it took to develop the HDR.

It's puzzling that we got a definite date and then find out they weren't even close, visually, 6 months before release. Kaz could still be trying to cram more things in by delaying.

I wasn't going to get anything and was waiting for GTS to launch, then it got delayed and I bought Assetto Corsa, Glad I did though cause its a decent little game.

Last edited:
In regards to the scapes, Kaz mwntionw the cara will do flybys. Does that take long to program for 1000 pics?

If there are say, 5 default angles(Towards camera: Left front 3/4, right front 3/4, Away from camera: left rear 3/4, right rear 3/4; over head towards camera). Does that take long to program 140 cars in those combinations in 1000 scenes?

In regards to the scapes, Kaz mwntionw the cara will do flybys. Does that take long to program for 1000 pics?

If there are say, 5 default angles(Towards camera: Left front 3/4, right front 3/4, Away from camera: left rear 3/4, right rear 3/4; over head towards camera). Does that take long to program 140 cars in those combinations in 1000 scenes?
There's no one in hell they are hand-coding each scenario for all the cars and locations. Unless I read your post incorrectly...

Nah, we've seen them already in the loading screens. It's essentially a static shot, maybe with a little panning, but the car drives "through" the photo.

Back