Gran Turismo Sport vs. Assetto Corsa

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 327 comments
I haven't played both but you're right. it runs smoothly on console.

Well, it's normal that Dirt Rally runs smoothly on console... It's made with the old gen EGO 3.0 engine (F1 2015 & 16 are made with the new EGO 4.0 engine) the dirt Rally graphics are good but don't aproch the GT Sport graphics or even the new gen F1 graphics.. It's on par with assetto corsa.

But for me the lighting isn't the most important thing for me also...

The most important is the physics.
Second the FFB
And third the sounds..

And in this case this three assetto blows GT Sport out of the water.

And at least in my case with the 1.01 update from assetto the game runs stable around the 50fps..and only some screentearing remains.
Hopefully they finished to fix it soon.

Locked frame rates?

Dirt is 60fps and DC is 30fps, but neither waver?

Yup, DC seems locked at 30fps but dirt Rally not..in night conditions and with rain or snow it have some fps drop (nothing that affects gameplay)

Locked frame rates?

Dirt is 60fps and DC is 30fps, but neither waver?
Nope. DC is, but as has been said DiRT will waver in more extreme conditions. It also remains to be seen what GTS will be like as a finished article in this regard, but will need to if its wants to hit VR.

Keep in mind that DC has had to drop weather, reduce on track car count and reduce track-side detail to hit 60fps locked.

Well, it's normal that Dirt Rally runs smoothly on console... It's made with the old gen EGO 3.0 engine (F1 2015 & 16 are made with the new EGO 4.0 engine) the dirt Rally graphics are good but don't aproch the GT Sport graphics or even the new gen F1 graphics.. It's on par with assetto corsa.

But for me the lighting isn't the most important thing for me also...

The most important is the physics.
Second the FFB
And third the sounds..

And in this case this three assetto blows GT Sport out of the water.

And at least in my case with the 1.01 update from assetto the game runs stable around the 50fps..and only some screentearing remains.
Hopefully they finished to fix it soon.

I would have to agree that for me physics remains first and foremost, with FFB after that and sounds and visuals behind that. Of course a locked frame-rate is ideal and as high as possible, but I'm happy to sacrifice 'looks' for those, as long as the 'looks' are consistent. Which is part of the reason why I still play Seb Loeb Rally as much as I do DiRT.

Nope. DC is, but as has been said DiRT will waver in more extreme conditions. It also remains to be seen what GTS will be like as a finished article in this regard, but will need to if its wants to hit VR.

Keep in mind that DC has had to drop weather, reduce on track car count and reduce track-side detail to hit 60fps locked.

Thanks man, I didn't know Dirt Rally wavered when stressed. Certainly hadn't noticed it while playing.

I would have to agree that for me physics remains first and foremost, with FFB after that and sounds and visuals behind that. Of course a locked frame-rate is ideal and as high as possible, but I'm happy to sacrifice 'looks' for those, as long as the 'looks' are consistent. Which is part of the reason why I still play Seb Loeb Rally as much as I do DiRT.

For me it's:
  1. Physics
  2. Visuals
  3. Sounds
I've always valued the sense of immersion, so the audiovisual is super important for me, and why the lighting is not just a random thing, but entirely crucial to this. Just my opinion of course.

Thanks man, I didn't know Dirt Rally wavered when stressed. Certainly hadn't noticed it while playing.

For me it's:
  1. Physics
  2. Visuals
  3. Sounds
I've always valued the sense of immersion, so the audiovisual is super important for me, and why the lighting is not just a random thing, but entirely crucial to this. Just my opinion of course.

Are there games you haven't bought because of the lighting though? Every racing game I played on PS3 didn't have lighting that matched GT5 and GT6 but that wouldn't put me off buying them.

Are there games you haven't bought because of the lighting though? Every racing game I played on PS3 didn't have lighting that matched GT5 and GT6 but that wouldn't put me off buying them.

No, that would be silly. The lighting thing only came up because some peeps here were being a bit snarky to @CLowndes888 for mentioning it. I figured it wasn't an absurd thing to say, far from it, so I mentioned that it was important to me (and to PD, it seems)

Impressive visuals these days are not so much to do with high poly counts or great models, it's the materials and how the scene is lit, that tricks you into thinking the 'realism' is higher. The lighting and FX work is what separates good game visuals from the bad nowadays.

Hence the push, in the case of GTS, for PBR and better lighting solutions. It's a complex field, more so than people realise I think (not that I'm an expert at all, but I know a bit more now thanks to @TrevorPhilips 👍).

Can someone please explain to me, when there are so many driving game fans here, that a single shot of a beta 'scape' image from GTS can induce multiple pages of discussion, and yet on the AC board, not one of those people having a dig at GTS offer their 'opinion' at all on the graphical misgivings of AC?

Can someone please explain to me, when there are so many driving game fans here, that a single shot of a beta 'scape' image from GTS can induce multiple pages of discussion, and yet on the AC board, not one of those people having a dig at GTS offer their 'opinion' at all on the graphical misgivings of AC?

Bias / favoritism ?

Bias / favoritism ?
Possibly.

I just find it, let's say beyond reason, that those that are happy to heavily critisise one game for the smallest imperfections, while also playing another game, don't find it reasonable to also highlight similar imperfections in that game.

Because PD are very good at the visual thing and Kunos are very good at the physics thing? Ergo you can be critical of PD on a graphics thing but not on Kunos, whereas if it's physics having a go at PD is silly but Kunos? Fair game.

Would probably be more of a point if the main people (which, from what I could see when the discussion was going, were ImaRobot and Nato_777) who were talking about the bugs in the GT Sport scapes had given much of an indication of caring about Assetto Corsa in the past. ImaRobot has one post that is nearly year old in that forum,and Nato_777 hasn't done anything but share photomode pics since December.

Bias / favoritism ?
Nope. The tone and tenor of discussion in the AC forum is not the same as this forum. Other than a couple of trolls here and there that eventually got banned, no one is in denial about any of the shortcomings of the game. The discussion in the months leading up to the console release was overwhelmingly real and down to earth. Everyone went out of their way to be honest about what AC was about, what you could expect and what it's shortcomings were. In discussing the game amongst ourselves, the broad strokes are almost always agreed upon and so it's the minutae and personal experience and preference that people tend disagree over. AI behaviour in one game vs. the other, career modes etc. Also, issues come up and we can talk directly to the developers so there's also far, far less guesswork about intentional programming shortcomings. @mister dog for example, mentioned he had a braking issue. He talked directly to the developer, got an answer, and posted a link to the conversation in another thread. In GT a topic like that would go around for months or years without an answer and we'd be left just to speculate. In the official forums many things are discussed directly with the car modelers, AI programmers, general coders etc and we get answers. Those answers are brought to this forum and we aren't left in the dark about most issues with the game.

It's a completely different and much more positive atmosphere.

Because PD are very good at the visual thing and Kunos are very good at the physics thing? Ergo you can be critical of PD on a graphics thing but not on Kunos, whereas if it's physics having a go at PD is silly but Kunos? Fair game.
So we shouldn't see any complaints about GT physics?
Not quite how it works from what I've seen.

:sly:

Nope. The tone and tenor of discussion in the AC forum is not the same as this forum. Other than a couple of trolls here and there that eventually got banned, no one is in denial about any of the shortcomings of the game. The discussion in the months leading up to the console release was overwhelmingly real and down to earth. Everyone went out of their way to be honest about what AC was about, what you could expect and what it's shortcomings were. In discussing the game amongst ourselves, the broad strokes are almost always agreed upon and so it's the minutae and personal experience and preference that people tend disagree over. AI behaviour in one game vs. the other, career modes etc. Also, issues come up and we can talk directly to the developers so there's also far, far less guesswork about intentional programming shortcomings. @mister dog for example, mentioned he had a braking issue. He talked directly to the developer, got an answer, and posted a link to the conversation in another thread. In GT a topic like that would go around for months or years without an answer and we'd be left just to speculate. In the official forums many things are discussed directly with the car modelers, AI programmers, general coders etc and we get answers. Those answers are brought to this forum and we aren't left in the dark about most issues with the game.

It's a completely different and much more positive atmosphere.

What on earth are you talking about ? HSV talked about people here that post in GTS and AC sub forum, it was about scapes in GTS vs graphics in AC, right here on GTP.

Back