Gran Turismo Sport Will Get Formula E Cars According to Kazunori Yamauchi

or the Nissan electric NV200 van...

MEC-ENV200-4.jpg

Vans were a hit in Forza and I remember trucks and utilities were quite popular in GT6 etc.

I feel like there's many here who just hate the idea of electric motorsports... are they also unhappy about the LMP-H cars like the Porsche 919 and TS050 etc.?

I'm on the fence... show me an exciting form of electric sports and I'm there because the older 5 spd 225km/h max speed Formula E isnt it.

Also will they have realistic Formula E refueling? This is a huge joke in itself.

Or will it just be like how it treats Teslas?

Electric cars need a 'hook'... LMP-H has that 'hook' but that form of motorsport may not be around for much longer.

I feel like they'd be better served with a hybrid GT3 class but I guess the cost will make things even worse.

If a GT3 car is a $250,000 device then slapping batteries and motors and regen brakes is going to make it a $500k car.

or the Nissan electric NV200 van...

MEC-ENV200-4.jpg

Vans were a hit in Forza and I remember trucks and utilities were quite popular in GT6 etc.

I feel like there's many here who just hate the idea of electric motorsports... are they also unhappy about the LMP-H cars like the Porsche 919 and TS050 etc.?

I'm on the fence... show me an exciting form of electric sports and I'm there because the older 5 spd 225km/h max speed Formula E isnt it.

Also will they have realistic Formula E refueling? This is a huge joke in itself.

Or will it just be like how it treats Teslas?

Electric cars need a 'hook'... LMP-H has that 'hook' but that form of motorsport may not be around for much longer.

I feel like they'd be better served with a hybrid GT3 class but I guess the cost will make things even worse.

If a GT3 car is a $250,000 device then slapping batteries and motors and regen brakes is going to make it a $500k car.
I guess it would be like F1 going hybrid. Did it cost more to run a high strung NA engine or the current hybrid set up?

Without a shadow of a doubt the current hybrid setup is a much more costly and maintenance heavy endeavour.

Even if it cost the same you need engineers who are experts in electronics, battery tech, recovery tech and computer software people.

I remember reading the Tesla jobs board here and they are so top heavy in programmers and E.Engs.

If you're going full electric like Formula E of course then you lose all your combustion techs.

Our Nissan GTR LM Nismo is a good example of where things fail... they got everything right except for the hybrid part... the cost of getting that working must be pretty damn high.

I take it the tyres also help keep costs down. Less grip, softer suspension set ups(though from a couple races, the cars looked as stiff as a row of ironing boards).

Hope this equalises Racing in FIA events. No shifting. Boost lanes. Cars should be equal like the Red Bulls.

I keep imagining that driving a Formula E vehicle would be similar to driving a Red Bull Junior, minus the combustion engine, and with some tweaks, of course. Is this accurate? If so, I like the idea. I would love to use the Formula E car in custom races.
It could have similar straightline speed, but the RBJr would blow it out of the water in corners. Formula E cars have very little downforce. They rely mostly on mechanical grip.

Hopefully we’ll get some technical tracks to go along with these as they do seem to be missing currently.

How about both versions of Paris from GT4?

Seattle Confirmed!!

Joking of course, but yea some of these tracks would be ideal for Formula E

I give up... reality has taken a back seat to orthodoxy. Let me reiterate:

When you race on a console, you don't use any gas! No matter what car you drive!

So there is no need to emulate a series that is being run to showcase not using gasoline... You are already running the most green way to race there is.

Formula E cars are slow, nasty whiny abominations. And completely unnecessary in an environment where today's F1 Championship-winning car or Senna's F1 car, or a 60's F1 car all use ZERO gasoline.

They may be a necessary evil in the real world. But utterly superfluous in the gaming world.

GTS... The real dentist drill simulator!

Current F1 cars use specially blended unleaded fuel, not crazy fuels like toulene they had in the 70's or methanol. There are many race series' that do not consume fossil fuels and use renewable energy like methanol.

I'm liking the idea of Formula-E being added to GTS, now the next step would be: having daily races for it all the time, as a series, next to Gr1, Gr2, Gr3, Gr4, Nxxx races.
Oh, and a FIA Formula E season, F1 season, Endurance series, Gr3 series, Gr4 series, Fiesta sprint series...
Oh man, I'm dreaming again.

I'm liking the idea of Formula-E being added to GTS, now the next step would be: having daily races for it all the time, as a series, next to Gr1, Gr2, Gr3, Gr4, Nxxx races.
Oh, and a FIA Formula E season, F1 season, Endurance series, Gr3 series, Gr4 series, Fiesta sprint series...
Oh man, I'm dreaming again.
You can create a lot of those series in a lobby, put it in the online racing forum, if you build it they will come :)

I can’t really understand this whole fighting back hybrids and electric cars.
This game should be the apex of sim racing. It shows the future of Motorsport and its way of feeding the real life categories. I think it’s reasonable that they add content that is aligned with that. Some of the main categories in the world have been using hybrids for a while now, and electric cars have started to gain some momentum, on track and on the street.

And...

From my point of view, I like realism and speed. If F-Zero or Star Wars pod racing was real, I’d race those things. I love the olden days, but competing has nothing to do with getting stuck in traditions.

I give up... reality has taken a back seat to orthodoxy. Let me reiterate:

When you race on a console, you don't use any gas! No matter what car you drive!

So there is no need to emulate a series that is being run to showcase not using gasoline... You are already running the most green way to race there is.

Formula E cars are slow, nasty whiny abominations. And completely unnecessary in an environment where today's F1 Championship-winning car or Senna's F1 car, or a 60's F1 car all use ZERO gasoline.

They may be a necessary evil in the real world. But utterly superfluous in the gaming world.

GTS... The real dentist drill simulator!

And what happens in a couple of decades? Should we still be driving old cars in games, because we don’t need the new green tech inside a game? Should we use fake ICE cars? Should we finally accept the green tech?

Kind of a bad logic. Nothing is NEEDED in a game. No wings, no suspension... no engine... no tires... no car. Stating what’s actually needed for something to move around a space in a game has nothing to do with the goals of said game.

Last edited:
The people that are salty about Formula E have probably NEVER even watched a damn Formula E race in their life

Every time an adult complains about something new, I think of myself when I was 13 years old, and old people could not understand their time was ending and they couldn’t accept the fact their opinions wouldn’t dictate what people like for much longer. I think it’s more of a difficulty of accepting ones own mortality than the fact they actually don’t like Formula E. I don’t know...

Until recently Formula E cars were slower than Spec Miatas, so forgive our lack of enthusiasm. Additionally most people don't view a silent electric motor as the least bit exotic. Exotic = exciting and this is a video game where we can live out motorsport fantasies.

When I go to bed at night I don't dream about the lunch lady from middle school...

Has very little to do with age and "new tech" for most of us.

I can think of a bunch of cars that are slower than Formula E in GT Sport. We could create a thread with all the cars that are too slow to be in the game anyway. Except... some people love N class cars.

Until recently Formula E cars were slower than Spec Miatas, so forgive our lack of enthusiasm.

That isn't correct. You're just making stuff up as hyperbole. Even the Season 1 Formula E cars and their limited rate of energy at the time are quicker. You clearly haven't bothered to watch Formula E properly.

Slow cars are in many cases more exciting in terms of racing than fast cars.

P.S. I'd love to drive a Formula E car in Gran Turismo, as would many others.

I can think of a bunch of cars that are slower than Formula E in GT Sport. We could create a thread with all the cars that are too slow to be in the game anyway. Except... some people love N class cars.

I agree with people complaining about the slowness of FE being rather dumb. That said, I don't find FE fun to watch nor do I like the way the cars look. SO when they say FE might be coming to the game, I personally couldn't care less. I would rather have BTCC Cars.

I watched the first season of Formula E, really wanting it to revive what I felt for F1 growing up. Even on the most leniant terms it was still a disappointment. The pre season show race on a real circuit looked promising, but the narrow right angle circuits created were often shoehorned into cities around key locations rather than planned for good racing, and often overtaking was impossible. There were good moments but on the whole the races lacked something. I got bored.

They are doing a massive thing, taking loads of risks, and I really want to like it and hold out hope the racing improves as the cars get towards the benchmark they are aiming for (I remember seeing the (5 year?) plan and how the power output and manufacturer involvement was to develop). I hope they add more racing circuits to the calendar as they have said it is a possibility, but the very selling point FE markets itself is as an alternative motorsport that can reach places and people others can't, and I think this is too much a thing they rely on to want to dilute.

Ten years+ of listening to people whine about how GT sounded bad, vacuum cleaner cars, bla bla bla, now we have to listen to this litany of people excited about something that sounds even WORSE?! :rolleyes:

But I guess there IS something about Formula E that is perfect for the ADHD gamer drivers that make up most of GT's players... Races will have to be short! :lol:

You know why some are so excited about this? Because they haven't been given DTM, or BTCC, or IMSA, or any other damn real life series that they would care a LOT more about! That's how desperate the lack of real racing on GTS has made the base (or some of them!). I guarantee, if the announcement were about DTM (for example) you wouldn't hear ONE person whine about how those series aren't 'green'...

Last edited:
... is getting progressively worse!
I know sadly but true .
Lol some of you are way too angry about Formula E
I always kill every mosquito sound in my bedroom but I'm not angry at them .
The people that are salty about Formula E have probably NEVER even watched a damn Formula E race in their life
Wrong I tried it but I gave up I'm bad .

Ten years+ of listening to people whine about how GT sounded bad, vacuum cleaner cars, bla bla bla, now we have to listen to this litany of people excited about something that sounds even WORSE?! :rolleyes:

But I guess there IS something about Formula E that is perfect for the ADHD gamer drivers that make up most of GT's players... Races will have to be short! :lol:

You know why some are so excited about this? Because they haven't been given DTM, or BTCC, or IMSA, or any other damn real life series that they would care a LOT more about! That's how desperate the lack of real racing on GTS has made the base (or some of them!). I guarantee, if the announcement were about DTM (for example) you wouldn't hear ONE person whine about how those series aren't 'green'...

This is by far one of the worst comments I've seen on this site, and I can smell the smug superiority from here.

This is by far one of the worst comments I've seen on this site, and I can smell the smug superiority from here.

Yep!

They like FE because they’ve never been presented to real cars and racing leagues like... F1, LMP, LaFerrari, McLaren P1 Tesla... and FE. Are those not real enough?

I agree with people complaining about the slowness of FE being rather dumb. That said, I don't find FE fun to watch nor do I like the way the cars look. SO when they say FE might be coming to the game, I personally couldn't care less. I would rather have BTCC Cars.

Alright. “That I can understand. I don’t care, I don’t like.”
But some people try to reason it saying things against electric engines that make no sense. It’s like someone said it... I can only imagine how it was when they added spoilers to the cars. Hell, we can go back to when we moved from horses to cars!

“This is not real racing! Bring back those animals!”

Last edited:
Back