Gran Turismo to Sponsor Dai Yoshihara's Pikes Peak Tesla

Man! what a memories, please GT7 please :drool:

Last edited:
Yeah it really is time to finally get this hill climb back in a GT game again. Even though in GT2 it was only a small part of it, I always really enjoyed it! And lets hope we get this awesome looking Tesla Model 3 with it! :D Together with some more Pikes Peak cars of course. ;)

Really interested to see the battle of the Model 3s again this year, was pretty cool to see already last year. Especially with the one of Unplugged Performance. They're returning again this year as well so should be really interesting to see which one will be the faster one. I'm rooting for both! I'm a bit biased as I own a Model 3 myself but yeah, I'm just so happy to see that this car allows more teams to compete while not even having to spend much money. The Electric Performance team really showed that last year, winning in their class while having spent the least amount of money. They only won because Unplugged Performance had issues with theirs but still.. :D

As we all know, this doesn't suggest that the car will come to GT. Plenty of cars with Gran Turismo sponsorship haven't made it to Gran Turismo. Not even Pikes Peak has made it in despite years of talk and the licence supposedly going to PD.

Interesting that they are sponsoring so many events all around the world, but there is no marketing at all for GT7. We got a trailer and a hand full of screenshots in June. And then... silence. This isnt unusual in the industry of course (Elden Ring!) but its still so tiresome for the fans that are actually looking forward to this. In todays social media / digital marketing-only world, they could release a new screenshot every week if they would want to. Instead, they wake up every morning and choose silence. God knows when Pikes Peak will be confirmed for GT7. In the meantime, we got no Pikes Peak for Dirt Rally 2 and i guess we wont get it for Dirt Rally 3 either, which could arrive before GT7 shows up. Frustrating.

I love the fact, that electric cars making appearances in autosport more often and often. And this aero kit looks awesome. Hope to see a good run from this Tesla.

"Wouldn't that make you
CONFIRMATION of Pikes Peak in GT7?"

No.

Interesting that they are sponsoring so many events all around the world, but there is no marketing at all for GT7. We got a trailer and a hand full of screenshots in June. And then... silence. This isnt unusual in the industry of course (Elden Ring!) but its still so tiresome for the fans that are actually looking forward to this. In todays social media / digital marketing-only world, they could release a new screenshot every week if they would want to. Instead, they wake up every morning and choose silence. God knows when Pikes Peak will be confirmed for GT7. In the meantime, we got no Pikes Peak for Dirt Rally 2 and i guess we wont get it for Dirt Rally 3 either, which could arrive before GT7 shows up. Frustrating.
You don't start marketing for a game over 12 months away from release.

Last edited:

Well, Polyphony does because they always think that they're just around the corner from release. But they're hardly alone, in the modern era it seems not exactly unusual for big devs with big games to start hyping up people as soon as possible, up to years before the actual release. See Cyberpunk for the most egregious modern example, they were showing off an "in-game" trailer in 2018.

No.

See Cyberpunk for the most egregious modern example, they were showing off an "in-game" trailer in 2018.

As far as i know, the first CGI teaser for Cyberpunk 2077 was revealed in 2013. So basically, marketing the game started seven years prior its release. We saw a similiar teaser for Elder Scrolls 6 at E3 2018, so dont get me started...

Last edited:
As far as i know, the first CGI teaser for Cyberpunk 2077 was revealed in 2013. So basically, marketing the game started seven years prior its release. We saw a similiar teaser for Elder Scrolls 6 at E3 2018, so dont get me started...

Yeah, but I feel like there's probably a meaningful difference between announcing that a studio is working on a game and putting out media that is supposed to be representative of a final product. Random CGI trailer like the original CP2077 one in 2013 is basically just stating what the studio is working on, whereas the 2018 trailer is (supposedly) showing a carefully selected and polished section of what the game will actually look like. Likewise, the 2018 ES6 trailer gives away nothing about what the game will actually be like, functionally it's little more than a pretty way of saying "ES6 is in development".

Gran Turismo and Polyphony tends not to do this sort of announcement trailer. The GT7 trailer is very, very clearly supposed to represent the actual content of the game to the extent that they spend time showing off the menus and entering a race, which then includes all the graphical foibles that you'd expect of gameplay on real hardware.

I think it's fine for companies to use videos and other media to make announcements as far in advance as they want, which is why I didn't originally reference the CP2077 2013 video. But if a dev is showing gameplay or representative gameplay, then either their game should be coming out very soon or it's going to change so much that they shouldn't be showing gameplay. More than 12 months from the release of a game there's still so much that can be tweaked that showing "in-game" stuff is just going to end up being misleading.

The prime Gran Turismo example would be what happened from GTHD to GT5P to GT5. The scope and vision drifted so much over the years of development that while it was all the same project the early media advertising "gameplay" was nothing like what we ended up with, and so people were set up for disappointment by not knowing what to believe and what to ignore.

Back