Grand Theft Auto IV

From here, posted by me almost 2 years ago.

me
Liberty City was only extremely loosely based on New York. Why not make a version of New York and make it more like New York, the way Las Venturas, San Fierro, Los Santos and Vice City were like their cities. All of them had landmarks and locations based on the real cities of Las Vegas, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Miami. They had guys take thousands of photos to recreate famous locations from those cities and tried to capture the overall feeling of a time and place. Liberty City was pretty generic.

You could be driving down Broadway, seeing the Empire State Building, the UN building, driving through Central Park, going to Harlem, etc. etc.

:)

KM.

It's only a teaser, but it looks pretty cool. Nice to see those next-gen graphics in a GTA game. I wonder what the central character's background is - I'm gonna guess Russian mafia dude who gets into trouble, flees to America to live a new life but gets sucked back into a life of crime including coming up against his previous Russian crime boss. 20 bucks says I'm right!

It doesn't look like a rehash of the old Liberty City with fancy graphics either. I bet it's several times larger and with a brand new street layout, but with the same general areas in the same place and with the same district names.

I hope there's some GTAIII characters take part just for nostalgia's sake.

There's a Staten Island in New York, is that what you're thinking of?

KM.

I hope to see many characters from past GTAs this time 'round
I hope that it is more than many times larger, and completely different than the old LC as I got tired of that city relatively easily
it seems that just by whats shown in the trailer that this LC will be a whole new animal and at the very least it will be much closer to NY in appearance

It is not Liberty City.
This is going to be based on New York.

Statue of Liberty...
Coney Island - the roller coaster
Times Square / Broadway - busy city section w/ billboards and lots of people walking.....
The Brownstones - houses especially known in Brooklyn
The Ferry - maybe we can go to New Jersey...
Skyscrapers and bridges all look like New York

They have done Liberty City twice already (not counting the quick trip in San Andreas). I'm sure they will give it a different name like "The Five Boroughs" or "Freedom City" or even "The Big (insert fruit parody of apple name here)"

But hopefully, and I mean hopefully, this is just a small tease and it really will cover like 3 major cites worldwide! Maybe New York, Tokyo, and maybe some European city......

It is not Liberty City.

Statue of Liberty...
Times Square / Broadway - busy city section w/ billboards and lots of people walking.....

They have done Liberty City twice already (not counting the quick trip in San Andreas). I'm sure they will give it a different name like "The Five Boroughs" or "Freedom City" or even "The Big (insert fruit parody of apple name here)"

But hopefully, and I mean hopefully, this is just a small tease and it really will cover like 3 major cites worldwide! Maybe New York, Tokyo, and maybe some European city......

Even R* admits that LC is supposed to represent NYC. Although there may be more cities/areas, to visit, the one shown in the trailer has Liberty city shown several times in various places

It is not Liberty City.

Statue of Liberty...

Actually, after reading this thread...
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=271120

...I believe LC will be one of the locations.
BTW, this picture is just hilarious.
a4e4850b.jpg

eCola! :lol:

I curse having dialup. :mad:

But from what friends that have seen the trailer and from you guys have posted here, it's now even more tempting for me to buy a X360 or PS3.

trailer looks good but I cant get the speakers on this stupid work computer to make any noise so I'm going to have to wait to hear whats going on until I get home... That blue car looks kinda like an slk (I cant help trying to identify the cars I see) Should we get this thread moved into the PS3 forum since it will probably get a fair amount of traffic now?

And that white/silver car looks to be a 3 series. :)

I sort of hoped it wouldn't be Liberty city as after playing GTA III and GTA LCS to death I am really tired of it (least fav city of the GTA III based games)

It does look closer to the real deal and quite detailed but looks alittle dark. Russian guy is a nice twist.

Oh and to jimihemmy who said it is not Liberty city, just check the back of the ship at the dock.

*EDIT* also notice the russian guy said "perhaps things will be different" similar to the promotional poster "Things will be different"

Seems like here and at the other gta forums people are jumping to way to many conclusions as to where when and how big, all we know is that the trailer showed is Liberty City, speculation is fine, but I have seen too many people say I'm positive,it's not, or it is definitely... lets all try not to cross over the line of speculation into jumping to conclusions

I sort of hoped it wouldn't be Liberty city as after playing GTA III and GTA LCS to death I am really tired of it (least fav city of the GTA III based games)

Except that I don't think you'll actually be playing that Liberty City. I've heard LCS was an exact copy of GTAIII's LC, and if so, if this trailer has shown any speculation, it won't be in the same style at all.

It is not Liberty City.
:confused:

Liberty City WAS based on NYC, only very limited due to capacity and platform.

The obvious clue is right there is the name: "Liberty" , as in the Stature of Liberty.

Staunton Island = Staten Island

And there are tons of references to NYC all over GTA:3

The trailer suggest a modern setting in Liberty City (NYC), and will undoubtedly be able to encorporate much more of the city than GTA:3 could have ever dreamed of.

And the last line of the trailer suggests as has been specualted, that in this GTA you might have an opportunity to not be a complete bad guy this time around.

I'm looking forward to this game regardless. I've always been very impressed with the non linear gameplay and wide variety of challenges! 👍

1 question.

Too anyone who has played GTA enough, can you explain to me the story of motorcycles being banned from Liberty City? I must have missed a game.

1 question.

Too anyone who has played GTA enough, can you explain to me the story of motorcycles being banned from Liberty City? I must have missed a game.

That was to help explain (story wise) why motorcycles were not included in GTA:3 (as they were not developed for the series until GTA: Vice City), but were included in GTA: Liberty Stories - despite both games being set in Liberty City.

(The reason GTA:LS had bikes is because when RockStar made GTA:LS, motorcycles were now part of the series.)

One thing that has been found on a billboard in the first train scene is "Vice City $300".

Many are making conclusions that this GTA will be like the original GTA that had Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas and you could travel to them like the airports in GTA SA. That would be nice but I am not going to bet on it.

donbenni
Disappointed to see New York (doesn't look like just Liberty City, there's more real things in there).

Well, that's because LC is supposed to be like New York.

That doesn't make sense in relation to what i said. I know that Liberty City is based on New York. What i said was that the city shown in the video looks more like New York than Liberty City.

That's a great improvement though. A nicely realistic looking city environment is just what GTA needs and the video shows a cracking looking city.

Regardless, i'm still not happy to see the dragging up of LC again. It'll be cool to see and fun to play, but people speculate about what they want to see and there was a huuuge amount of speculation regarding location with the most popular locations not even in America let alone a rehashed city from a previous game. I smell lame. Will wait for more info on this. Am still hoping for multiple cities in different countries.

try not to think of it as LC in the sense you know it as, with the amount of detail the new platforms are capable of, this will be completely different (I'd bet my dog if I had one but since I don't I'll just bet my roomates) the reason it looks more like NYC than LC is because the playing field is way more than it was

:confused:

Liberty City WAS based on NYC, only very limited due to capacity and platform.

The obvious clue is right there is the name: "Liberty" , as in the Stature of Liberty.

Actually, Liberty City is the "ghetto" of Miami. It's just coincidence, though.

Also, Lol @ "America's Next Top Hooker."

I'm somewhat confused as to why all of this is in the PS2 section even though it's a GTA sub-forum. When is there going to be a PS3 GTA Sub-forum? Or, actually, since it's multi-platform, should this be moved to its own independent slot?

edit: Also, does the russian guy (protagonist, I'm guessing) in the trailer look EXACTLY like the bad guy from Behind Enemy Lines or is it just me?

edit 2: here are some pics. He looks EXACTLY like him!

It is not Liberty City.
I'm pretty sure it IS Liberty City. There's ads for the Liberty Tree, the Liberteen (whatever that is), a ship marked with Libety City and the ferry port is marked Liberty Ferry Terminal (with a few letters missing). The hints aren't too subtle.

It's just not the exact same Liberty City from GTAIII and obviously it's more directly based on New York than it's GTAIII incarnation.

KM.

Except that I don't think you'll actually be playing that Liberty City. I've heard LCS was an exact copy of GTAIII's LC, and if so, if this trailer has shown any speculation, it won't be in the same style at all.
Liberty City Stores had pretty much a replica of Liberty City from GTAIII, with just a few changes.

The new Liberty City might bear as much resemblance to the GTAIII version as that version did to the original GTA version.

KM.

I think you are confusing GTA: Vice City with GTA:3
Code:
Vice City    = Ref to Miami Vice        = Miami
Liberty City = Ref to Statue of Liberty = NYC

:lol:👍

I'm somewhat confused as to why all of this is in the PS2 section even though it's a GTA sub-forum. When is there going to be a PS3 GTA Sub-forum? Or, actually, since it's multi-platform, should this be moved to its own independent slot?

edit: Also, does the russian guy (protagonist, I'm guessing) in the trailer look EXACTLY like the bad guy from Behind Enemy Lines or is it just me?

edit 2: here are some pics. He looks EXACTLY like him!

exactly. when i saw the guy i was like...wait a min...thats the dude from "behind enemy lines".

i just watched the trailer and this game will rock! thats the type i'm talking about :D

I think you are confusing GTA: Vice City with GTA:3
There's a real place in Miami called Liberty City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_City,_Florida

Luther Campbell, of 2 Live Crew fame, is from the real Liberty City in Miami and apparently kicked up a bit of a fuss when GTAIII came out because he thought it would give his town a bad rep. Ironically, he ended up doing acting work for GTA 'cos he's the Fresh 105 FM DJ in Vice City Stories.

KM.

Bah, a wasted opportunity. I would have liked to have seen the game set in Glasgow :mischievous: And after all that, we get a trailer that is barely a minute long?! Phooey... oh well, it certainly looks great, though... roll on October!

That was a very good trailer. I assume that is all in game footage too which really impresses me. The graphics are very nice. I am not sure of the location or the gender of the character but I sure am looking forward to the release of this game. 👍 👍

Maybe so but Liberty City in GTA is most definately based on New York.
Yes, obviously, but I was referrring to Digital-Nitrate's correction of Omnis, who was talking about the real place in Miami called Liberty City:
Omnis
Actually, Liberty City is the "ghetto" of Miami. It's just coincidence, though

CAMAROBOY69
I am not sure of the location or the gender of the character but I sure am looking forward to the release of this game.
Huh? It was obviously a dude - that guy is the protagonist we're assuming.

KM.

I dont really care where its set or who the character is.

Its GTA and im buying it.

GTA is about free play, blowing stuff up and hard core police chases and rampages. If i can do all that in 720p (which is what that trailer is in) then its worth the $100 for a new game. Nothing has ever come close to GTA and i have confidence that GTA IV will be just as awesome as GTA 3 was when it came out.

This is my reason to get a ps3. :)
Its also for the 360. After I heard this was going to be on the 360 was when I decided to get a 360.
Oh and I didnt mean gender I meant race. :dunce: I also dont care either. It could be a purple barney with 1 leg for all I care and I would still buy it.

Back