GRID 2019

You know... I think Pit Stop would be great addition to GRID series. I doubt it will come in update (to much work) but i think it would be great in next GRID game. Making it arcadey simple (like automatic tire change and some repairs) with great pit crew animation... It would be great with an endurance mode coming back from Autosport. Too bad Codies won't do this probably, and the future of GRID series is not very clear since they have SMS with Project Cars and rest of codies are rather focusing on DIRT series and Formula One.

I was thinking the same thing. It's an arcade... But very motorsportish. Something like what GT has would be ideal.

Edit:

I mean, the game has such potential everywhere... And it's wasted because Codemasters just don't care, they just released Grid because it could sell well (lack of arcade racers).

Dirt games however feel like they are really passionate about them, like they really care about the games. Two teams after D3 investigating prototypes of hardcore physics and stage generators, trying to create a game with two driving physics, trying to get together all that they have learned with DR2. 0...

Last edited:
Bought the Ultimate Edition on sale on the Xbox store. Initial hot-take impressions after finishing the intro sequence:

• This is definitely a Spotify-in-the-backgroubd game.
  • The race announcers sound like they don't want to be there.
  • The Physics....exist. The cars don't drive badly, they just feel...hesitant, if that makes sense. I'm pretty sure full assists are on, but with the C7.R, I had a couple moments where the car felt like it was losing itself, but the car itself got scared nd "saved itself." Hopefully a lack of assists make the cars more lively.
I will say, Jumping from Dirt Rally 2.0 with a controller into this was a bit of a rapid culture shock. :lol:

Having spent most of the day with the game, my initial impressions are somewhat mixed.

Graphically, the game actually looks great. I haven’t experienced any framerate drops or the usual screen-tearing that is (or used to be) common for many CM games and as usual the sounds are excellent.​

The physics became okay/acceptable after adjusting various settings and assists.​

The career mode is even more boring than I initially expected. The events are way too short and are already being repetitive. Not to mention the AI that is straight up infuriating. I’ve been taken out and had races ruined more times than I care to recall at this point.
The only saving grace this game has is the ability to create your own events. I made sure to put my Ford Capri at good use at Okutama. Can’t get enough of that heavenly sound.

Last edited:
MXH
Having spent most of the day with the game, my initial impressions are somewhat mixed.

Graphically, the game actually looks great. I haven’t experienced any framerate drops or the usual screen-tearing that is (or used to be) common for many CM games and as usual the sounds are excellent.​

The physics became okay/acceptable after adjusting various settings and assists.​

The career mode is even more boring than I initially expected. The events are way too short and are already being repetitive. Not to mention the AI that is straight up infuriating. I’ve been taken out and had races ruined more times than I care to recall at this point.
The only saving grace this game has is the ability to create your own events. I made sure to put my Ford Capri at good use at Okutama. Can’t get enough of that heavenly sound.
You can increase the length of career mode races.

Agree with what everyone is saying here. The S3 content feels like it was put together without much thought. Veyron would get annihilated by the other cars. FXXK would probably have best handling, but knowing the simcade physics the lack of power (relatively speaking) compared to the Koenigseggs mean it probably wouldn't be competitive either. IMO, the Ferrari should've been in the previous pack and the Veyron could have been replaced by the Divo or Bugatti VGT.

Don't get me started on the Super GT cars. Why have two cars from different generations? :banghead: They're too lazy to model the new GT-R so just threw the old one in? Why not include the HSV-010 from GAS as well while you're at it.

As for the track, funnily enough Mik Hizal predicted this :lol:

Anyway, I'm almost done with career mode (only has 11 events left and they're all 4 races ones...blergh). Gonna smash them up + S3 races next week and then I'm done with this game. Thanks to the ATW trophy, I'm not even gonna bother with platinum.

My best advice against AI is... Treat them like human beings. They are getting revenges so if you race clean they will be clean towards you. Personally i think AI is great.

It's a shame codies decided to include the Around the World trophy. What the trophy should have been was complete a race at every track or something along those lines. If this game had an easy plat more people would buy it.

You can increase the length of career mode races.
Does the reward increase as well? Before the game finally installed I did the three races that were available over and over again (mainly messing with race length and difficulty options for the oval race) and I didn’t notice any higher payout.

Same goes for the events I’ve been doing in free play.

Something common that always happens in my game is whenever i do a time attack event i always see a ai car flip over every single time?

Saw a ai car do 4 flips in front of me before stopping :lol:

Last edited:
Something common that always happens in my game is whenever i do a time attack event i always see a ai car flip over every single time?

Yeah I've noticed that as well in both normal races and time attack mode. They always seem to flip in parts of track where it shouldn't be possible to flip a car lol.

MXH
Before the game finally installed I did the three races that were available over and over again (mainly messing with race length and difficulty options for the oval race) and I didn’t notice any higher payout.

Same goes for the events I’ve been doing in free play.

Noticed this as well. I wanted to stick to one championship at a time in the career, but despite getting pole on every race prior, I couldn't afford any of the TC-1specials. So I figured I'd do two instances of ten lap races in custom, but they ended up banking me less than the career races despite being thrice as lengthy. Had to go back and grind earlier races, which is a big no no for me. I did more than enough of that in The Crew 2 before the summit was a thing.

The Classic GT40 Invitational is one of the worst, most infuriating driving experiences I've ever had in a game. No matter how much I try to tune this car, it always wants to spin. No matter how much I try to adjust my driving and keep power on while braking, it always wants to spin. Even with full TCS and Stability Control activated, it still wants to spin! Couple this god-awful car with the AI's horrible racecraft (which I've mostly tolerated so far, but it seems to be particularly bad in the 60's events), and the seemingly infinite grip that the other GT40's, and I'm about to pull my hair out. :banghead:

This car needs a complete handling overhaul, and a sound re-work, stat. I don't want it to be as grippy as an F1 car, but the GT40 shouldn't be instantly trying to kill you when shown even the slightest bit of steering angle. Oh, did I mention that the engine sound is absolute garbage?

/rant

Believe it or not, even with all of that, I've actually been enjoying the game for the most part. I just wish the multiplayer wasn't already dead.

The AI purposely pull the handbrake to flip their car over. I am not making this up.

Sometimes... But they actually being launched from side with huge force. I have even proof for this (watch FORD GT in front)

Its scripted. Vehicles will just crash at random because the game tells them to. Its a feature Codemasters discussed prior to launch to help elevate the action, and personally I don't like it. It feels unnatural sometimes (your video as example A), and what's more the ai will ONLY wreck under these circumstances. The ai can punt me around like a ping-pong ball all day, but trying to pit or push one of them is like trying to derail a train. If the game doesn't want them to wreck, they're invincible, and when it does, its like an invisible bomb goes off under the hood.

As for the ai behaviour itself. They're alright drivers, though I do wish they were faster through the corners. Their excessive caution makes for frustrating experiences when they're all grouped together, and easy overtakes against the leader.
And even with the added personality, I still feel like there's some level of rubberbanding or other underlying function at work. The game still falls into the age old gaming trope where most drivers are bundled up together, with exception to 2-3 slackers and lead cars. If I make an extended race, by the 3rd-5th lap I should see some dispersal, but I don't. Outside of SIM territory, only the suicidal mental cases that are the ai from Wreckfest have given me the proper endurance racing experience, where you and the rest of the grid get mixed with lapped traffic, witnessing battles all over the circuit, as it would be online or in a real race.

In short, if I often see this several laps in, something's up.
Capture12.JPG

While I'm here I might as well ask, have they fixed the graphical issues yet? This game looks woeful on vanilla PS4/Xbox. Everything looks intentionally blurry, even the cars in the menu look fuzzy. Its so strange because all of the youtube videos I've watched look perfectly normal, meanwhile I can't even read the speedometer while in cockpit view. I know its not going to look perfect because I've got a 1080p image stretched on a 4K TV, but I wouldn't think it'd look as bad as it does.

Playing this game really makes you appreciate PD and their ability to create original tracks. The ones in Grid are so forgettable that I haven't even remembered the layout to any of them, I'm still using the mini map (which itself is abysmal and too zoomed in) just to know where I'm going in most races on them. Oh and **** reversed tracks as well, utterly hate them.

The ai can punt me around like a ping-pong ball all day, but trying to pit or push one of them is like trying to derail a train. If the game doesn't want them to wreck, they're invincible, and when it does, its like an invisible bomb goes off under the hood.

As for the ai behaviour itself. They're alright drivers, though I do wish they were faster through the corners. Their excessive caution makes for frustrating experiences when they're all grouped together, and easy overtakes against the leader.
This problem has been prevalent since GRID Autosport. The AI are very happy to pit maneuver you and it takes them little to no effort once they've made contact with you. The other way around though, yeah, good luck with that especially in corners where you'll repeatedly bump into them and you basically come to a halt.

Playing this game really makes you appreciate PD and their ability to create original tracks. The ones in Grid are so forgettable that I haven't even remembered the layout to any of them, I'm still using the mini map (which itself is abysmal and too zoomed in) just to know where I'm going in most races on them. Oh and **** reversed tracks as well, utterly hate them.
I couldn't care less about the city based circuits but the worst offenders are the reversed race tracks. It's a cheap and lame way to boost those rookie numbers with ''X amount of location with Y layouts in total''. Hated them in G:AS (a game I otherwise loved) and continue to despise them now.

MXH
This problem has been prevalent since GRID Autosport. The AI are very happy to pit maneuver you and it takes them little to no effort once they've made contact with you. The other way around though, yeah, good luck with that especially in corners where you'll repeatedly bump into them and you basically come to a halt.

I couldn't care less about the city based circuits but the worst offenders are the reversed race tracks. It's a cheap and lame way to boost those rookie numbers with ''X amount of location with Y layouts in total''. Hated them in G:AS (a game I otherwise loved) and continue to despise them now.

It's definitely a cheap trick, I felt the same at first, but in the end I actually enjoyed some reversed tracks on GAS, for example SPA & Portmio.. In fact I even think I prefer SPA in reverse !

I love some of the fictional tracks. Okutama GP (Grand Circuit) it's a masterpiece. There is a moment in the way down that really tests your bravery.

Havana it's good, but those high kerbs don't work very well IMO.

While i'm sad that mclaren is not include in season 3 ferrari is still my second favorite car company and i cant wait to take the fxxk evo for a spin. 👍

That track with that bridge and that High speed Tunnel is also very good in my opinion.

Same goes for Paris.

Agree that's also one of my favorite tracks to run on :D

It's definitely a cheap trick, I felt the same at first, but in the end I actually enjoyed some reversed tracks on GAS, for example SPA & Portmio.. In fact I even think I prefer SPA in reverse !

I hated reverse Spa in the original GRID. Taking Eau Rouge-Radillon downhill always messed with my brain.

I hated reverse Spa in the original GRID. Taking Eau Rouge-Radillon downhill always messed with my brain.

Well that was one of my favourite sections, it was a rush flying through there without crashing, carrying such speed at the end of the straight, then full on the brakes to make the 90 left.

Reversed tracks might not be a good idea: it's very difficult to design a track that works and has a nice flow in both directions. And if you are trying to do that, maybe you are compromising what could be a magnificent track so you can bump the number of layouts.

But it can be worse. My favourite racing game, NFS 4 HS, had not only reversed tracks. It also had mirrored tracks so they could transform one layout into four. :lol:

But it can be worse. My favourite racing game, NFS 4 HS, had not only reversed tracks. It also had mirrored tracks so they could transform one layout into four. :lol:

it was old and simple times. There were also much less tracks per game than today. :) Half of NFS4HS tracks (mainly those from NFS3) where different versions of the first half. (different layout and season)

Reversed tracks might not be a good idea: it's very difficult to design a track that works and has a nice flow in both directions. And if you are trying to do that, maybe you are compromising what could be a magnificent track so you can bump the number of layouts.

Arhhh mirrored reversed tracks. The game that springs to mind is Mario Kart. You think you've completed it fully on 150cc then they throw this at you... which by this point after tons of racing completely fries your brain... :)

Back