GRID 2019

Two issues with the new cars I noticed in cockpit view:
- The Jesko's speedometer is supposed to tilt with the wheel. It doesn't.
- The driver shifts with an invisible gear stick in the Jesko when the paddles are right there behind the wheel.
- The Veyron's power meter never goes above 1000hp despite the SS having 1200hp.

typical ferrari not to let you change livery on there car :lol:

Only down side it feels super heavy and slow. :crazy:

Other then that this car has such a strong presence.:bowdown:

Oddly you can change the livery on the F430 and Daytona. The FXX/FXXK and 330 P4 cannot be changed. But I've seen a red FXXK in one of the season 3 races so it's not like Ferrari is completely averse to customization :odd:

Even stranger that you can't change livery on Nissan R32 Gr.A when you can change it on the 300ZX and 240Z. Since when is Nissan as picky as Ferrari??? I noticed this too in Driveclub where you can't change the livery on 370Z and R34 GT-R.

Seems strange that season 3 career events don't seem to have any Super Gt races even after they added Suzuka and the Nissan and Acura.

Maybe they're saving it for "potential" S4. There weren't any races for the Track Day Specials in season 2 either, but there's a few in season 3.

I'd say the chances of further DLCs are ~20%. Would be awesome to see the cars, tracks and game modes from previous Grid return (e.g. drift, drag, touge/sprint). Also this game needs more Formula cars. The Alonso connection is so wasted and there's a huge jump from the F1000 to the R26. I'd like to see the Formula C (GP3) and Formula B (A1GP) cars return from Autosport, or even the Formula A (Indycar).

Last edited:
So I managed to stick with the game despite it's multitude of flaws and finished the base career mode. In general it was an up and down experience with certain classes making for enjoyable racing and others not so much. I'll probably stay with Grid until I've finished the seasons content. I'll give my final opinions about aspects of the game below.

Graphics: Not bad but not great either, they're fine.

Sound: As with the graphics it's fine, some nice engine sound but a lack of gearbox and turbo sounds from what I can remember, to be honest I wasn't paying much attention to them.

Physics: Pretty bad. Strange floaty feeling to the cars, most cars just want to slide around corners, kerbs are an absolute race killer. It's an arcade racer that they've somehow made cars more difficult to handle than a sim. Turning assists on makes it a bit less infuriating but I wasn't impressed at all. Also my racing game pet hate is present where you collide with AI cars and go spinning or flying off the track while they drive on as if nothing happened like you're driving an Ariel Atom and they're in an Abrams tank.

Racing content: Career mode is just a bog standard collection of races and short series so nothing special. Lack of disciplines, nothing but races and time trials, can get really boring. Didn't bother with multiplayer or free play.

Cars: Some good, some terrible. The three touring and 3 GT classes are decent as is the World Time Attack cars, super modified is alright. Muscle and tuner are slow and boring, stock cars and pro trucks can **** off along with the two open wheel cars. Invitational cars are a mixed bag, the whole series is a bit pointless in my opinion and just an excuse to use all the random cars they put in the game, they should have made more cars for the four proper series instead as some are pretty much thin on choice.

Tracks: Not enough by a long way but the ones they have are decent enough. Original city tracks are too similar with far too many 90 degree turns but they're not bad. Reverse tracks are used to beef up the poor track count which is cheap and lazy not to mention that they're crap and overused.

AI: Usual garbage racing game standard. Not many (if any) random mistakes, they're slow as hell in the wet, have absolutely no regard for your position on track and will turn into you at a corner as they seem to just follow the racing line regardless of whether you're there or not. The nemesis feature isn't much of a big deal, I think I only encountered a rare side swipe or two, for a feature they hyped up before launch its pretty dismal. The team mate feature is mediocre as well, it basically boils down to let them race as normal or tell them to go fast or slow.

Overall opinion: I paid £21 for the ultimate edition and I'd say that was a fair price for what I got, definitely wouldn't be happy if I paid full price so I can't complain. It's a racing game that goes from really good to really bad and back again all the way through it, parts of it are fun and others are a chore. I think it would have been far better if more effort was put into it by the devs and it was more focused rather than just throwing every racing category they could think of into it. Personally I would have kept the touring, gt and time attack series although with more content and a bigger choice of cars for each, added historic touring, group A and historic gt to them and just binned the stock, Fernando Alonso and invitational series completely. I'd probably say it's a 6/10.

So I managed to stick with the game despite it's multitude of flaws and finished the base career mode. In general it was an up and down experience with certain classes making for enjoyable racing and others not so much. I'll probably stay with Grid until I've finished the seasons content. I'll give my final opinions about aspects of the game below.

Graphics: Not bad but not great either, they're fine.

Sound: As with the graphics it's fine, some nice engine sound but a lack of gearbox and turbo sounds from what I can remember, to be honest I wasn't paying much attention to them.

Physics: Pretty bad. Strange floaty feeling to the cars, most cars just want to slide around corners, kerbs are an absolute race killer. It's an arcade racer that they've somehow made cars more difficult to handle than a sim. Turning assists on makes it a bit less infuriating but I wasn't impressed at all. Also my racing game pet hate is present where you collide with AI cars and go spinning or flying off the track while they drive on as if nothing happened like you're driving an Ariel Atom and they're in an Abrams tank.

Racing content: Career mode is just a bog standard collection of races and short series so nothing special. Lack of disciplines, nothing but races and time trials, can get really boring. Didn't bother with multiplayer or free play.

Cars: Some good, some terrible. The three touring and 3 GT classes are decent as is the World Time Attack cars, super modified is alright. Muscle and tuner are slow and boring, stock cars and pro trucks can **** off along with the two open wheel cars. Invitational cars are a mixed bag, the whole series is a bit pointless in my opinion and just an excuse to use all the random cars they put in the game, they should have made more cars for the four proper series instead as some are pretty much thin on choice.

Tracks: Not enough by a long way but the ones they have are decent enough. Original city tracks are too similar with far too many 90 degree turns but they're not bad. Reverse tracks are used to beef up the poor track count which is cheap and lazy not to mention that they're crap and overused.

AI: Usual garbage racing game standard. Not many (if any) random mistakes, they're slow as hell in the wet, have absolutely no regard for your position on track and will turn into you at a corner as they seem to just follow the racing line regardless of whether you're there or not. The nemesis feature isn't much of a big deal, I think I only encountered a rare side swipe or two, for a feature they hyped up before launch its pretty dismal. The team mate feature is mediocre as well, it basically boils down to let them race as normal or tell them to go fast or slow.

Overall opinion: I paid £21 for the ultimate edition and I'd say that was a fair price for what I got, definitely wouldn't be happy if I paid full price so I can't complain. It's a racing game that goes from really good to really bad and back again all the way through it, parts of it are fun and others are a chore. I think it would have been far better if more effort was put into it by the devs and it was more focused rather than just throwing every racing category they could think of into it. Personally I would have kept the touring, gt and time attack series although with more content and a bigger choice of cars for each, added historic touring, group A and historic gt to them and just binned the stock, Fernando Alonso and invitational series completely. I'd probably say it's a 6/10.
I 100% agree with your opinion.

I don't know why AI, in any game, gets opinions that are so incredibly far from my experience. Well, I do suspect why: because the opinion we have of it is very subjective and depends a lot on our behavior.

They are slow on wet and low paced tracks, but in fast tracks like Barcelona or Okutama, they are unstoppable.

They have one of the best awareness of the player pattern I've seen. They always do recognize you, but don't expect them to open the door like in Assetto Corsa, where AI almost crashes itself so you can overtake them if they "feel" you are 2 meters behind.

Behave with them as humans, expect what humans would and could do, and everything will be fine. They even fixed the problem GAS had: in fast corners, if you were on the outside you were screwed. They couldn't control the car and would ram you.

I've seen someone posted a gif of a pit maneuver, but I wanna think that was the result of it being under pressure with no other option than going straight. I've never seen them doing something like this, not even with the Nemesis thingy.

And talking of the devil, it's insane that the most publicized feature of the game, doesn't do much and requires a ridiculous situation to be activated. Nemesis should be activated much more easily. Example:

Teammate doesn't seem to do much. Even less than GAS, maybe I need to sign a better driver. But in GAS wasn't wise to tell the teammate to do something different because it would inevitably crash.

Last edited:
stock cars and pro trucks can **** off along with the two open wheel cars.
The stock car category was the first one I finished up due to how much I ******* hated it. Get it done, forget about it and enjoy the rest of the game. The muscle cars were okay, but I personally found the physics of the stock cars and pro trucks to be absolutely terrible and with the choice of tracks in career mode it made for an even worse experience. The entire time I wished for these american trash cans to eff off into oblivion. It felt not only mismatched but also out of place for the game in general, in my opinion.

GRID games and especially this entry, truly shines and is at its best when racing touring cars. I'll give Codemasters that. I'm crossing my fingers that the rumors about a new BTCC game are indeed true.

Last edited:
MXH
The stock car category was the first one I finished up due to how much I ******* hated it. Get it done, forget about it and enjoy the rest of the game. The muscle cars were okay, but I personally found the physics of the stock cars and pro trucks to be absolutely terrible and with the choice of tracks in career mode it made for an even worse experience. The entire time I wished for these american trash cans to eff off into oblivion. It felt not only mismtached but also out of place for the game in general, in my opinion.

GRID games and especially this entry, truly shines and is at its best when racing touring cars. I'll give Codemasters that. I'm crossing my fingers that the rumors about a new BTCC game are indeed true.

I pretty much did the same thing and got the stock category out the way early on. Totally agree they're out of place in the game, my thought is if people are racing game and stock car/truck fans they'll buy the official Nascar game and play that instead and not bother with made up vehicles and a lack of ovals in an arcade racing game so I don't see the point in having them.

Touring cars are definitely the high point of Grid but the game is such a cluttered mess that they're underused and there's a lack of choice making them a shallow experience. I'd love to see a BTCC game again but feel it would need to feature historic cars from Group A, Super Touring, Super 2000 classes and even older for it to be a commercial success as a one series racing game is a hard sell these days unless it's F1.

A few things i find cool and weird

1. Wonder what kind of tires they have you using when racing in the rain?

2. I find it cool that the spectator crowds are not cardboard cutouts and i love the way they reach over the railing trying to touch the cars as they go by.

3. Rain wipers are pretty useless no matter the car.

Anyway just a few small things i find cool and weird.

:)

A few things i find cool and weird

1. Wonder what kind of tires they have you using when racing in the rain?

2. I find it cool that the spectator crowds are not cardboard cutouts and i love the way they reach over the railing trying to touch the cars as they go by.

3. Rain wipers are pretty useless no matter the car.

Anyway just a few small things i find cool and weird.

:)

I like the way the team radio loses signal when you go through the tunnel on the Shanghai track then regains it when you exit, that's a pretty cool feature.

Kudos to the team that makes the F1 games. Paul Coleman said they took it from them for Dirt 4, so I'm guessing the same happened with Grid.

Just a few more races to gold every event from career to season 3 but one thing.

When i bought every car besides the two tc-500 and the f1 i had 16 million credits then when i bought the two tc-500 and the f1 to finish buying every car in the game i went down to 21k but i still had to finish seasons 2/3 an in doing so i'm now up to 15 million credits again when there's nothing left to buy? why so much money when it looks like you can buy every car with less then 25 million credits?

Finally every event gold :bowdown: and thank god cause i was sick and tired of a few things by this point

Races in the rain ( i hate them and there in every event) :crazy:
The repetitive ending fireworks at the end of every race :yuck::boggled:

Also this is crazy i didn't know a car could reach this speed, koenigsegg has nothing on this car.:)

In this picture it hit 265 but i hit the front wall going over 280 mph

So, after about 3 tries, I finally beat the Kowloon Dragons showdown, after having to battle constant drifting, dirty AI, and pretty much 0 visibility...

...only to see that the game decided to classify me in 3rd, with my teammate, who WAS running 3rd, the overall race winner. I literally crossed the line first, but the game decided I was actually roughly 3-tenths behind.

I know this may sound dramatic, but this bug by itself officially makes GRID 2019 one of the worst racing games I've ever played, which is quite annoying considering that GRID '08, GRID 2 and Autosport, while having some issues, were all very solid games. How does a timing bug of all things make it through, especially considering how much time this game has been supported for?

So, after about 3 tries, I finally beat the Kowloon Dragons showdown, after having to battle constant drifting, dirty AI, and pretty much 0 visibility...

...only to see that the game decided to classify me in 3rd, with my teammate, who WAS running 3rd, the overall race winner. I literally crossed the line first, but the game decided I was actually roughly 3-tenths behind.

I know this may sound dramatic, but this bug by itself officially makes GRID one of the worst racing games I've ever played.
Didn't you build up a penalty for cutting a corner somewhere?

I happened to me during that race. 2 seconds penalty and finished 3d.

Didn't you build up a penalty for cutting a corner somewhere?

I happened to me during that race. 2 seconds penalty and finished 3d.

Nope, no penalty was recorded, nor was I given an alert after the race of a penalty. I recorded the incident, but unfortunately it takes quite a hile for the recording to show up on my computer via OneDrive.

Nope, no penalty was recorded, nor was I given an alert after the race of a penalty. I recorded the incident, but unfortunately it takes quite a hile for the recording to show up on my computer via OneDrive.

I saw this happen to someone on YouTube, but I didn't notice whether they had a penalty or not. It would be good to verify your replay when you can as if you didn't have a penalty, well, how disappointing for CM.

^Never seen that timing bug myself luckily, though I recall someone reporting similar a few pages back in a video.

---

Almost done with career mode now. Just have 4x4 races left. Already back up to $10 million even after buying all cars and just crossed Prestige 3 :lol: Mileage driven still looks grim - just over 8000 km so just need to repeat the whole career mode 4 more times to get ATW trophy :banghead: I'll probably dovetail it with grinding XP for Prestige 5 and cleaning up the remaining objectives.

The Drift ones are a slog but doable - one of the variants of Zhejiang has consecutive s-corners which sets up nicely for chaining feint drifts. I wish the stats page also tracks individual drift types. Another oversight from Codisasters.

Airtime is stupid but also doable - San Fran Full Circuit Reverse and just hit those ramps with a fast & light car (no prototype or F1 as they have too much downforce and gets slammed back to the road quickly).

The one that I can't figure out is getting Two Wheels. Apparently someone on Codies forum has got it. No idea how, the only tip I've seen is use a classic car at Havana and bounce off those kerbs. I tried it but you only get a split second and you have to get 5 minutes total.

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/47493-grid-2019-in-game-achievments-incorrect/
https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/46036-season-2-rain-and-objectives/

FREE PLAY -> TIME ATTACK/RACE -> Set desire number of laps -> 1 car on track (only you) = practice mode.

That doesn't work sadly. What if I want to create a custom championship? You just literally cant practice because you would have to delete that championship.

I didn't care much for career mode not having practice mode because I thought I could create my own tournaments in the free play mode.

It really is worse than Autosport.

I just had Exactly the same experience. Finished first and got second. Very frustrating. It is really a Bug.

Decided to give it one more go and I won it this time. That Ferrari is way more suited for that race than the Jesko. I could drive it reasonable aggressive with most corners in 4th gear. The key to that race is also not to panic when the CPU is ahead. You can easily outbreak them at the hairpin and in the last Chicane.

just repeat qualifying laps before a race, I cant imagine why you would need to practice such an easy game though...

TBH I'm very surprised with your response. I would understand it from someone not familiar with racing in general, but not from someone that has even played Assetto or Project Cars.

Restarting qualifying over and over again as a way of practicing? You spend half the time waiting the game to load and it's a really annoying process. I talk from the experience.

And why would I need practicing? If you play on easy mode, I agree you don't need practice mode. If you play on very difficult in order to have similar pace to the AI and actual racing, not just overtaking moving chicanes (like in Gran Turismo's GT league); then yes, practice mode is a very necessary feature.

just repeat qualifying laps before a race, I cant imagine why you would need to practice such an easy game though...

If there's a practice option in any racing game, it's never a bad idea to use it. It's especially helpful when trying to figure out physics and/or trying to learn an unfamiliar track. Just going out for one lap, and then having to restart after every lap doesn't really help with consistency.

Also, the bug I mentioned earlier:

Now, I've calmed down a decent bit from my original post, and was able to repeat the race and win it. That being said, this just such a dumb bug. Like, how is it that timing in a racing game is bugged of all things? To me, that seems like a fairly basic thing to get right, especially in the single-player portion of the game. I really cannot think of a good excuse for something like that.

Edit: I also noticed that right as I crossed the line, the game quickly switches my position from 1st to 3rd. :odd:

TBH I'm very surprised with your response. I would understand it from someone not familiar with racing in general, but not from someone that has even played Assetto or Project Cars.

Restarting qualifying over and over again as a way of practicing? You spend half the time waiting the game to load and it's a really annoying process. I talk from the experience.

And why would I need practicing? If you play on easy mode, I agree you don't need practice mode. If you play on very difficult in order to have similar pace to the AI and actual racing, not just overtaking moving chicanes (like in Gran Turismo's GT league); then yes, practice mode is a very necessary feature.

I guess everyone is different skill levels, coming off playing dirt 2.0 Ive found this game really easy to play by comparison. The tracks are mostly short and the AI quite dumb its not very nuanced physics at all, overtaking by late braking in particular is a cinch.

Latest Posts

Back