GRID Autosport First Impressions

• Thread starter Awong124
  • 557 comments
How is the wheel experience once you set it up? Grid 1 and Dirt 1 was completely unplayable with a wheel due to the floatiness. Grid 2 was also terrible because of the drift physics. But Dirt 2 and 3 were great with a wheel (not sim-like great, but certainly good fun and predictable FFB). How is GAS compared to D2/3?
In the last couple of days I went back and tried DiRT 2, 3 and GRiD 2 with my T500RS on the PC to have a point of reference. They all share very similar direct steering actually. The only difference is that GRiD 2 has a bizarre tyre model where if you turn sharply and start to lose grip you go into a strange drift which turns out to be faster than simply braking and turning normally.

I agree with you completely that GRiD 1 and DiRT 1 were almost unplayable on a wheel: horribly floaty and imprecise, clearly made solely for gamepad.

So in that respect I hope we get wheel support close to DiRT 3 and GRiD 2 but with a tyre model which behaves normally and has a grip curve.... :)

Im liking Grid autosport alot however one of the worst things that i dont like about this game is the huge lack of teams to race for in single player atleast, seriously ONLY 8 TEAMS? and thats for every category too, just seems incredibly lazy if you ask me.

you used the lazy word.... i hate the lazy word! :mad:

I understand that most of the races will be Gran Turismo length (3-5 laps), but please tell me that the endurance races in GRID Autosport are more than just 12 laps or something ridiculous that involve 1 pit stop. I'd love to have 3 hour (or even longer) races where preserving tires is actually useful and possible saves a pitstop or two. I'm really missing endurance races since the removal of the really long endurance races in GT6 :(

You can alter the race length in all disciplines by using the race length multiplier..... therefore, if a default 8 minute race is loaded, and you apply x5 multiplier, the multiplier makes it 40 minute race. The multiplier can be used in the main career aswell.

You can alter the race length in all disciplines by using the race length multiplier..... therefore, if a default 8 minute race is loaded, and you apply x5 multiplier, the multiplier makes it 40 minute race. The multiplier can be used in the main career aswell.

This is something I'd like to see more in racing games, especially for career modes which usually have 'locked' racing distances. 👍

@anim8r_uk

There are a few multiplayer videos out there on youtube. Behind the drivers you can see an exclamation mark in the colors Orange, Yellow and Green. Can you explain what this means?

@anim8r_uk

There are a few multiplayer videos out there on youtube. Behind the drivers you can see an exclamation mark in the colors Orange, Yellow and Green. Can you explain what this means?

That's the impact ratings.

White = Lowest impact rating (doesn't smash into people)
Green = low
Yellow = Medium
Orange = likes to get a bit 'touchy feely'
Red = "Is this a Demo Derby?"

👍 I thought it had to be something like that but I was not sure. It's really good to see something like this in the game. Does the one with the "RED" color also have to pay your damage when he smashes into you :D

Damn another 2 days to wait....

👍 I thought it had to be something like that but I was not sure. It's really good to see something like this in the game. Does the one with the "RED" color also have to pay your damage when he smashes into you :D

Damn another 2 days to wait....

hahaha... if only. One for the design team to consider I think :P

👍 I thought it had to be something like that but I was not sure. It's really good to see something like this in the game.
I think they have included it ever since DIRT 3. Although I hope they have tweaked it. I remember it being really sensitive, and it tended not to discriminate between wall impacts and driver collisions. It was really open to abuse as well - bad drivers could crash you and give you a bad rating. There was one guy who was really good at it.

Did they release a Demo?
No, they released the whole game. Yesterday in North America at least.

I was using the 2x multiplier last night and that was long enough for me for Touring Cars. The competition offline is so close and intense, it's basically white knuckle all the way. My shoulders hurt after a couple of hours I was so tense.:lol:...and I'm usually Mr. Calm when I'm racing.

I was using the 2x multiplier last night and that was long enough for me for Touring Cars. The competition offline is so close and intense, it's basically white knuckle all the way. My shoulders hurt after a couple of hours I was so tense.:lol:...and I'm usually Mr. Calm when I'm racing.

That's why I think 40 minute Endurance is long enough. It's not a Sim after all.... it's meant to be fun, white knuckle racing. I think we've done that.

If we'd put in 3 hours+ of that in a single race, while managing tyres etc, I don't think many people would complete that race.

So.... are you having fun with it then?

Sorry to say that, but this game is crap. Already drove few cars on few tracks. Steering and FFB (Fanatec CSR recognized as Elite in game) is far from anything accepted. It's not even "forza physics" used in arcade Horizon. It's just dull and so similar and simplified in any car/class...Graphically it's mixed, some cars looks good, meantime cities, cockpits and crowds are a real shame ...Sounds works acceptable, but nothing more.
If You wish it'll offer entertainment level lets say beetwen Forza/GT or Shift 2, it's not gonna happen.

IMO nearest of fun, entertaining and well done game would be NCG, it's coming with really good ffb/physics, great audio-video and some perfect damage model.

PS and that blured cockpit...childish...

That's a real shame. I always perceive floatiness as a bug, as it makes the driving feel weird and not accurate.

If they put it in on purpose there probably isn't any hope that they fix it :(

I was looking forward to this game, and was hoping that the floatiness in the preview footages was not going to be in the final game.

I'll pass for now.

The floatiness in the regular cars isn't that bad though. It's just that you'd notice it.

Sorry to say that, but this game is crap. Already drove few cars on few tracks. Steering and FFB (Fanatec CSR recognized as Elite in game) is far from anything accepted. It's not even "forza physics" used in arcade Horizon. It's just dull and so similar and simplified in any car/class...Graphically it's mixed, some cars looks good, meantime cities, cockpits and crowds are a real shame ...Sounds works acceptable, but nothing more.
If You wish it'll offer entertainment level lets say beetwen Forza/GT or Shift 2, it's not gonna happen.

IMO nearest of fun, entertaining and well done game would be NCG, it's coming with really good ffb/physics, great audio-video and some perfect damage model.

I think it's many times more entertaining than GT. I don't notice the blurred cockpit because I use the zoomed in one, but yeah I agree that kind of sucks.

Now you understand why I was breaking out in a cold sweat after a 15 lap race.

Last edited:
the real question is, is this game worth the $40~50 until project cars comes out mid-november? it will only have this much shelf time. I am tempted to buy it just for the bumps and grinds, and of course, the sounds,

GT6 has become somewhat of a chore, where I don't want to spend any of my 20 mil Cr on any car.

still loving GT6. hashtag forever.

If i can skin a good quality car in iRacing/ GTR2 in a day, then im calling it lazy.

So what day task to we cut out of the schedule to fit a new livery in? I'd imagine you'd probably want more than 1 Livery? Say 40? That's 2 man-months of work. So we'd need to cut 2 man-months of work on something else. But what do we cut? Cockpit cam?.... Heaven forbid!

Let's not forget, once we have the 40 liveries that took those 2 man-months to make, we'd need design to implement them. They'd need to assign teams so AI can use them. There's QA time to make sure all liveries look correct on all cars (80+)....then there's licensing that it would need to go through so all sponsors need sign off.

To go into it further... if (for arguements sake)1 car livery = 1 day and we have 80 cars, that's 80 days of work (4 man months) because each car requires a unique UV set (plus damage set)... then say we'd want 40 teams (instead of just 8) that's 3200 days... just for the Liveries. Suddenly thats a LOT of days.

1 full-time dev on Autosport is allocated 180 days total = 9 month dev cycle. That's to complete all their tasks. I had to create over 350 different FX for Grid Autosport.... that works out as approx 0.5 days per FX. The drift tyre smoke alone took 10 days.

Trust me... we're not lazy. We're anything but. We have tight time schedules and very limited resources... contrary to what people may think/believe.

I also have a Wife and 2 children I like to see from time to time.... you know, between making games of course.

Last edited:
So.... are you having fun with it then?
I am having fun, yes. I bought the game for the racing, knowing how the physics and graphics would likely work. I've never played GRID before and didn't realize how good the AI is/was. They are extremely fast and very consistent, with only small mistakes here and there.

It's not for everyone, obviously not for you. Hope you find what you're looking for in Next Car Game, it looks like fun too.

the real question is, is this game worth the $40~50 until project cars comes out mid-november? it will only have this much shelf time. I am tempted to buy it just for the bumps and grinds, and of course, the sounds,

GT6 has become somewhat of a chore, where I don't want to spend any of my 20 mil Cr on any car.

IMO it's worth it for the offline racing alone. You can't really distinguish between the AI and good human drivers. I've had quite a few 6-12 lap races and it's not unusual for the top half of the grid to finish within 6-8 seconds of each other. With reverse grid second races, you've got a real challenge to work though the slower cars because they are only a second or so off the pace, not 10 seconds as in GT. If you're too aggressive in passing, they'll get you back later in the race if they get the chance.

Just be aware it's not GT level of physics or graphics.

I know you cant please everyone but i stand by my opinion. If the templates is anything like rfactor/GTR2/iRacing then once you finish one livery, most of that can be transferred over to the next car in a fairly short amount of time apart from maybe the open wheel cars where there is a bit more effort involved to make everything look correct.
29x9r4l.jpg

That car took me close to a day to do, 1/4th of that time was just searching for logos and that can become quite a long process with the older the car, seeing as you guys only had a set list of sponsors to pick from i still believe that there couldve been a few more skins made.

Yes but the trigger is not like on the ps3 , its on or off , but it plays lot better then a keyboard.

Im using DS3

Played this evening without assists and DS3. Triggers work very nicely when you run no ABS. 👍

Only thing I am not happy about is the chase cam. It's extremely low and therefore almost unusable. Hope this can be fixed with a patch :confused:

Played a couple of online races and I almost had all clean races. Great expérience!

I know you cant please everyone but i stand by my opinion...... I still believe that there couldve been a few more skins made.

I've been doing my job for 14 years now. 3 years of those as Lead Vehicle Artist. I stand by my statement. The figures don't lie.

Last edited:

I'd say it is. I was worried after seeing a few reviews but I am glad I kept the pre order and got the game. It's a lot of fun and while there is quite a few things i wish were different I am more pleased with this than I am with GT6.

-Edit holy crap my phone slaughtered the spelling originally.

Last edited:
Think you're getting confused with the DS4 controller?
Uhm no? im using the DS3 controller , but unline the triggers ON the ps3 like in GTA5 where u can do like 10-20-30-40-50etc % trotthle , on the PC its 0% gas or 100% gas so the triggers act like on or off buttons

edit; i see the guy above the triggers work like the should be , well il try that out tomorrow , i use my triggers for gear up and down , and X and square for gas and brake and arrow pad for steering

Will pick this up soon for sure, I actually thought GRID2 was okay so I should be tons impressed with this. :lol:

Uhm no? im using the DS3 controller , but unline the triggers ON the ps3 like in GTA5 where u can do like 10-20-30-40-50etc % trotthle , on the PC its 0% gas or 100% gas so the triggers act like on or off buttons

edit; i see the guy above the triggers work like the should be , well il try that out tomorrow , i use my triggers for gear up and down , and X and square for gas and brake and arrow pad for steering

You're using a DS3 on PC?

It's not just a plug and play thing, it depends entirely what you're using as a driver. If you haven't got something that can detect the analogue and is calibrated for it, you won't get proper analogue output.

If you want a plug and play solution, use an X360 pad. Otherwise, start looking into your driver and see if you haven't got something misconfigured.

Back