GRID Autosport First Impressions

• Thread starter Awong124
  • 557 comments
I just got this game today looking forward to playing it later on. At least I know if I don't like it I can send it back to eb games with in 7 days :)

I haven't got out of the Touring Cars yet but it's working just fine for me.

You turned the Multiturn option ON?

Although I also don't see why you would ever need 900 degrees of rotation in this game other than for drifting.

Although I also don't see why you would ever need 900 degrees of rotation in this game other than for drifting.
Wasn't sure what they meant by Multiturn lol first I've heard of it by that term but yes I wanted to use it for drifting.

I put up a few words on the Codies forum. Will add some additional info later but currently these are a few points I came up with after a couple of hours of play. Besides these few niggles I have the game is absolutely great. The AI, the sound the experience on track. It really gives you the feeling your are racing and are in the middle of it. It's just exciting stuff to see the AI battling door 2 door infront of you, making errors (I saw a roll), chasing you like madmen and defending/battling for position.

Online I struggle a bit to see through. I never know if I am racing for the club or not when changing a discipline. I can't seem to figure out where I can see this. The exclamation marks work great and so far I had quite a few clean a good races with all strangers. Racing in street because you get a donor car from this category. I will drive until I have enough money to buy a proper tourer.

I played for a couple of hours yesterday evening and I have to say I am impressed so far. DS3 controler and no assists. However there are a few issues:

1. Chasecam -> Is too low and therefore almost unusable. Would like to see a chasecam a bit higher so that you can see properly what's happening in front of the car.

2. Touringcars feel great but a bit light/floaty. Give them a bit more "weight".

3. Replays have a few nice angles but I would like to see the cars look more natural. Sometimes it looks like they are skating on ice.

4. I miss the pitstops. I play with no flashbacks and if you get damaged by the AI it would be nice to be able to go into the pits and get some repairs done. It's a feature I really miss!

5. Cockpitview without the wheel is greatly done (TOCA2 / 3) but the view with the wheel is just not detailed enough. It feels rushed.

6. The faster openwheeler (Lola A1 GP and Indy Dalara) are twitchy and nervous to drive. I expected handling like the F1 games but I was completely wrong. They need quite some additional work handlingwise. The Lola for example if you drive with a controler , the slightest touch of gas in a corner in lower gears makes your car go sideways or into a spin. Took every corner in 3th gear after and the problem was gone. Maybe you could check the first 2 gears.

On a side note I hope you guys drop all those disciplines and start focussing on 1 or 2. Preferable just touringcars and I would like to see to move the slider a bit more towards simulation. The AI is great, absolutely fabulous. I play on medium for the moment but it's an absolute blast. Great job!

Last edited:
Well, just read the review on IGN, and OP thanks for that first impression. 👍

The game is a blend between arcade and sim, just like the previews said. Kind of sucks you have endurance races, proper damage and you need to manage tire wear, all this with no pit stops. But that was made clear in previews as well.

OP, kind of unfair to compare it to Codemaster's F1 physics, as that was a properly licensed sim, not a casual motorsport game like GA. Get to the open wheelers first, then get back to us.

Looks like I'll be taking the plunge; my choices are limited ATM since I own an X360 and I desperately need to break away from FM4.

Cheers Codemasters and @anim8r_uk. Here's hoping we get a more serious and sim-oriented sequel to GA. :cheers:

Online I struggle a bit to see through. I never know if I am racing for the club or not when changing a discipline. I can't seem to figure out where I can see this. The exclamation marks work great and so far I had quite a few clean a good races with all strangers. Racing in street because you get a donor car from this category. I will drive until I have enough money to buy a proper tourer.
What do you mean by donor car? Are you referring to the loaner car they give you? If so you can get one for any discipline and class you need. I found the best way to get cash is the RaceNet challenges, I got 40k just for getting platinum on the Indy one and that was on my first try.
Racing for the club is determined by the livery you use I think and thus means you can only do it with cars you own.

What do you mean by donor car? Are you referring to the loaner car they give you? If so you can get one for any discipline and class you need. I found the best way to get cash is the RaceNet challenges, I got 40k just for getting platinum on the Indy one and that was on my first try.
Racing for the club is determined by the livery you use I think and thus means you can only do it with cars you own.

Yes it's exactly what I mean by the donor car. So if I understand correctly, the club changes automatically to "NO" if you race in a race with a loaner car. @anim8r_uk can you confirm this?

The racenet challenges I tried this morning. Bratwurst the other way around is tricky :embarrassed: Indy challenge was easy to get platinum and I got some extra cash in the bank. Saving saving saving ... :D

So is it even possible to play this game with 900 degrees of rotation on a G27?

PS3 – Turn on Multiturn

PC - It’s all done in the drivers on the PC. They just need to increase the degree of rotation.

So if I understand correctly, the club changes automatically to "NO" if you race in a race with a loaner car. @anim8r_uk can you confirm this?

I really don't know.... but I'd imagine so, as the 'loaner car' is from another team? I'll find out...

Last edited:
First impression: I'm impressed.

PC version: plugged in Fanatec CSR and it works just fine, no fiddling necessary. Maybe I'll have a play later to see if things get better, but I wasn't having any issues driving.

Physics are average, as others have said. They're not the cutting edge of simulation, but the cars DO behave like cars. Throttle control is necessary. Understanding weight transfer is an advantage. Using the proper racing line is faster. It rewards all the behaviours that a simulator should.

It's a bit like playing softball instead of baseball (note that in my mind these two are the same apart from the ball, which probably isn't true...). The ball is bigger and easier, but it's still the same skills and the same game. And if you enjoy baseball, it's probably still fun unless you're super hardcore.

Career setup seems pretty great. Practice mode before race is great. Qualifying is very tense and exciting. Racing is extremely intense.

AI is on the aggressive side, but not too bad. Make your moves early, and they'll (probably) give you room. Make a dive and they'll turn in on you. And some of them are just dicks. Quite a lot like real life, actually. I've only been punted once, and it was Ravenwest. :mad:

Damage feels pretty weak, you can bang the cars quite hard and get away with it. Not the end of the world.

Little summary of first session as a teaser:

I chose open wheel, and jumped in the crappier of the two choices. Everything on hardest, 3x race length. Ran the ten minutes of practise getting used to the feel of the car and learning lines around Abu Dhabi. Nice little course, that.

Qualifying: First lap went pretty well, not super hot but solid. Was up for most of the lap, but slipped into second at the end. No worries, I'll just turn up the wick on the second lap now I have a banker in. Ran wide in the second lap coming through the esses, slipped to third as another AI beat my time. Got too greedy running over curbs on the third lap and got a slowdown, and yet ANOTHER AI beat my time.

Fourth. Not even sure if that was good, but it was tense.

Race 1, 12 laps: Got mugged off the line slipping into fifth, then sixth at the first corner. Got back to fifth at the hairpin, and then a couple of laps later got fourth under brakes at the end of the second section of the back straight.

Spent the next six laps or so going back and forth catching up and then losing time as I'd make small errors. Eventually got fourth on about lap 9. Got a supreme run through the esses and got third at the hairpin on lap 10.

Was right behind first with about a lap and a half to go, but couldn't get a move to stick. He was just as fast as I was. Coming down the second part of the back straight I could see a backmarker ahead. We caught him just in the middle of that double apex at the end of the straight. The AI went inside, I went outside, which meant I had the inside when we went side by side through the last corner. I win by about two car lengths!

If that was orchestrated, then they did a bloody good job. I worked my bum off to catch those positions, it was fifteen minutes of the sweatiest racing I've done in ages, and at no point did I feel like the AI was either cheating or letting me win. They're just bloody quick.

Race 2: Similar start, dropped to 6th. Got past quicker this time, being more familiar with where the AI was fast and where it was slow. Got into first halfway through lap 9, but could not pull away.

Ravenwest dude tried a couple of moves, and eventually just elbowed me out of the way at the hairpin. In retrospect, I left the door open, like a fool. I spun the rears up trying to launch back at him and lost time. I figured that was about it, until we encountered two backmarkers still going at it on the last lap. I made a dive and boxed him in against one of them, and took the win.

Had the backmarkers not been there, I would have been stuffed.

I should note that I have seen some backmarkers getting out of the way, but others not really. I'm fine with it, it's working to my advantage so far. :D

Summary: If you enjoy exercising your racecraft and racing your dangly organs off, buy this game. If you want the latest hyper-accurate simulator, look elsewhere.

Me, I'm happy. It's pretty much exactly as advertised, and I think that's great. I've been waiting for someone to make this game for years.

A lurkers 1'st impressions.

3 days in. I jumped right in and began a career in Touring. My first impressions were "ewwww" The graphics were terrible. Using a PS3 on a Sony HX 850 55 inch. I spent a considerable amount of time playing with the picture settings on the tv and have it pretty much dialed in, game is looking pretty good now.

My two gripes are on the first 2 tracks of touring career (is it Hockenheim and Sepang) There are these gradient lines in the blue sky I cant seem to dial out with the settings. They only seem to appear on these two tracks, I nearly threw in the towel on this game because of them but decided to push on, I got to a point in the career where I raced on Brands Hatch and it looked great and from there on and am fairly pleased with the overall look of the game. Just these two tracks the sky is ugly, I'm not sure if its because the tv is downscaling to 720p or what it is. This game only 720 p on ps3?

My second very minor nitpick is during a hard crash I get this very brief macroblocking sort of effect in the middle of the screen, I just figured its because of the damage model of the game and the ps3 hardware cant keep up, its a very brief split second it happens and doesnt bother me all that much.

Now on to gameplay. This is where this game really shines for me. I have only done touring cars and at season 5. 1'st couple seasons the cars I was driving were a tad floaty but yesterday, in season 4 i think it was I found the car to be not to bad at all. The AI is fun, and challenging. Some times infuriating lol. Yesterday I am racing the Red Bull Ring Reverse race, I'm in 5'th place. My teamate is in 3'rd and see him get taken out by Team Kicker. i decided to go after him, 3 times I swerve in to take him out in his rear quarter and I miss only to crash. I had great fun trying to issue some payback to this guy for taking out my teamate like that. Finished the race in 8'th lol

The damage model is awesome. I love it. Racing down a straight, guy in front me has his bumper hanging off, which eventually falls off causing me to react and swerve to miss it. I love that, some immersion. The damage affecting the car is great. i must have punctured a tire in one race or something because it was pulling to the right bad, hard to steer and turn. Really adds to the realism when there are consequences to your driving and crashing. I at one point went to try the Racenet Challenges, Bathurst reversed in the "Holden" one turn I oversteer into the wall and my front bumper came up and got stuck on the front of the car blocking my view, I couldnt shake it off. Was laughing the whole time. This is where cars started passing me...wait what, there are others on the track for a time trial? I seriously hope it was only AI because I took a few of them out when I couldnt see with my bumper obstructing my view. I finished a couple laps and left not sure if I was racing with AI or real people and felt like a tool if they were real.

One other thing I thought was great, I raced in a couple "Mini Cups" in the career and at 1'st I see a few cars ahead of me and something in between, I get closer to see it is their doors are flying open in the turns. That explains that thumping sound I was hearing in my mini...thats cool.

Overall I'm impressed and enjoying this game. (aside from some graphical nitpicks) I'll be spending some time with it. Today will have a go at the A-Spec races in the "other driving simulator" if only to keep my log in bonus and make some money but will come back to GAS later on in the day.

Multiturn is off. I recalled reading here that someone mentioned to leave it off so I did. I think it was you.👍
First impression: I'm impressed.

Huge review...snip...
You've hit the nail on the head as usual. The racing is crazy intense. I've only run touring cars which are fairly easy to drive, but fairly easy to drive means you have to be perfect every lap because the AI at the front of the pack are perfect nearly every lap. I took a few laps in an open wheeler last night before shutting down and I can see it'll be a whole new experience and much more challenging. Really looking forward to it.👍👍

I'm having a great time with this game so far, just did the first two races at Istanbul in the touring car series at max length, so each race was 15 laps. Every lap was intense with having to try to attack while also keeping the AI behind. Was great. My steering got messed up in the middle of both races through contact so was having to drive with the car pulling to one side or the other. This is the racing I've been wanting to see in Gran Turismo for years. I don't remember ever seeing an AI car know you are behind them so they take a defensive line into a corner. Good job Codemaster! :cheers:

As other's have said, the driving isn't on Gran Turismo level but the racing is way better.

Is there a way to do time trials or practice other than in the career? I can't seem to find out how and kind of wish there was, just because there's so many track configurations in the game.

I'm glad I got this game I only did the first touring car race. But it feels good to come second or fifth unlike gt6 where my main goal is to just pass the AI breezly the AI actually attack and defend. I was going down a straight had an AI come up behind me we were side by side in the corner and I managed to come out on the exit first great racing will not be trading this in. I will be playing this a lot over the weekend and since its an arcade if you go off you don't slow down as much except you get 3 second penalties.if gt7 has this AI and graphics it will be a good buy. I must admit I was reluctant to getting it as I have a ps4 but glad I didn't skip out on it.

I did a couple of online races. Surprisingly clean. Either I just got lucky, or the online rating system is doing it's job.

There also seems to be something so that when there's contact, the two cars ghost each other. So you get hit, but you don't get body checked into a barrier. It seems to work, there's still incentive not to crash into people, but the worst case scenarios are avoided.

Also, racing utes in a lobby full of Ozzies. Friggin' awesome.

A lurkers 1'st impressions.

There are these gradient lines in the blue sky I cant seem to dial out with the settings. They only seem to appear on these two tracks, I nearly threw in the towel on this game because of them but decided to push on.....

You nearly gave up on a game because of texture banding in the sky texture on a PS3...on 2 tracks? wow.... you must have REALLY hated us when we removed cockpit cam from Grid 2 then :P

Still.... glad you're enjoying it and having fun. Can't wait to race you guys online tomorrow :)

EDIT: the 'macro blocking you speak of in collisions is actually there by design. It's supposed to simulate what happens to a camera during a crash where the feed is interupted.

Is there a way to do time trials or practice other than in the career? I can't seem to find out how and kind of wish there was, just because there's so many track configurations in the game.

Yes, it's in custom cup.

Go to the main menu> custom cup> set Race Type to Time Attack

you can also set Practice to be on for that event under Advanced Options. Maximum practice duration is 20 minutes

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Wasn't sure what they meant by Multiturn lol first I've heard of it by that term but yes I wanted to use it for drifting.

Actually, I should rephrase my response. Yes, it is possible to use 900 degree rotation, but no, you will not have any semblance of control of the car. Maybe it's better for drifting, I don't know. But for regular races it's unplayable.

OP, kind of unfair to compare it to Codemaster's F1 physics, as that was a properly licensed sim, not a casual motorsport game like GA. Get to the open wheelers first, then get back to us.

I have tried it. I don't know if I replied in this thread or the other thread, but the open-wheelers (at the least the first F3 car) feels more like the F1 games, no floatiness.

Multiturn is off. I recalled reading here that someone mentioned to leave it off so I did. I think it was you.👍

If you have that off, then you're not using 900 degree rotation.

Actually, I should rephrase my response. Yes, it is possible to use 900 degree rotation, but no, you will not have any semblance of control of the car. Maybe it's better for drifting, I don't know. But for regular races it's unplayable.

I have tried it. I don't know if I replied in this thread or the other thread, but the open-wheelers (at the least the first F3 car) feels more like the F1 games, no floatiness.

If you have that off, then you're not using 900 degree rotation.

Well, that's good news. I hope the cars don't have that pivot and turn model, ala Shift 2.

Well, that's good news. I hope the cars don't have that pivot and turn model, ala Shift 2.
You can drive that way but so far I've found it's not the fastest way around the track. Once you break the back end loose you get some tire scrub and it seems to slow you down. So far I've only driven Touring Cars and the Formula C..and the Mini..but it feels to me like smoothest is fastest. It does come in handy though to be able to kick out the back end when you make a mistake or to try and avoid someone.

One thing I've noticed is that the Formula C car doesn't feel quite right when cornering sometimes. When you're going through a sweeper flat out, turning the wheel a little too much causes the car to oversteer. Expected behaviour in that situation should be understeer.

Well it was one of those things I couldn't "unsee" lol and not something I've noticed on the other "driving simulator game". It jumped out at me right away. I may have exaggerated a bit by saying I was about to give up, but yeah it would have drove me up the wall if apparent on all tracks. After a bit of tweaking on my tv all is good. And as I say it is just two tracks the rest are great.

Dont get me wrong I didnt post that to complain, but rather give an honest view of my 1'st impressions. Thanks for the post on that macro blocking thing glad to see its meant to be that way.

I think you guys did a great job on this game and I can see it becoming my go to stress reliever over top of GT which I have invested 3 years of life into.

You nearly gave up on a game because of texture banding in the sky texture on a PS3...on 2 tracks? wow.... you must have REALLY hated us when we removed cockpit cam from Grid 2 then :P

Still.... glad you're enjoying it and having fun. Can't wait to race you guys online tomorrow :)

EDIT: the 'macro blocking you speak of in collisions is actually there by design. It's supposed to simulate what happens to a camera during a crash where the feed is interupted.

This game is awesome ! Mile better than Grid 2. The AI gives you a hard time so much its so fun that it makes you think that you have to plan strategies instead of blaming the AI flaws. I think this is the best racing game right now.

Hmm I was looking at the blog and there was a lot of liveries and sponsors online already, just wanted to know which ones they were.

Back