Grip Bug Thread v2

• Thread starter GT_Alex74
  • 274 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
They won’t, as interesting as it would be.

They should at least let you all know something. A few people put alot of time and effort into researching and working on this issue and then made sure this information got into the right hands. I think PD owe's you that.

On One hand I feel bad for the people who didn't know they had the bug and I'm talking about the ones outside the top 10.
The other ones who were smashing records had to know without a doubt something was not working right. You just don't become God in GT over night and start beating everyone. Even the best players lose from time to time. Those cries fall on deaf ears.

They should at least let you all know something. A few people put alot of time and effort into researching and working on this issue and then made sure this information got into the right hands. I think PD owe's you that.

On One hand I feel bad for the people who didn't know they had the bug and I'm talking about the ones outside the top 10.
The other ones who were smashing records had to know without a doubt something was not working right. You just don't become God in GT over night and start beating everyone. Even the best players lose from time to time. Those cries fall on deaf ears.

They let us know as much as they were allowed to, I think you'll find that all the details will be confidential.

They let us know as much as they were allowed to, I think you'll find that all the details will be confidential.

Yeah I wouldn't ask or expect anyone to share that information if it was even given to those who deserve it. I just think it would be a nice gesture on PD's part to reward those who rightfully deserve it.

Yeah I wouldn't ask or expect anyone to share that information if it was even given to those who deserve it. I just think it would be a nice gesture on PD's part to reward those who rightfully deserve it.

I meant the details of exactly what caused it will be confidential to PD staff only, telling someone who hasn't signed a confidentiality agreement would probably be a headache to authorize.

Bit late to read all of the thread, and even later to reply, but better late than never.

I have read every post on this topic here and thought it was time I said something.

What this sounds like to me is the exact oposite of what we used get on GT6 in online lobbies - "The Slipery Track Bug". When I previously (years ago litterally) discussed it here it was poo pooed by many and I was catergorically told it was my imagination so i stopped.

The "Slippery Track Bug - STB" could affect anywhere from 1 person to everyone present in the lobby. A close collegue and and I our lap times were nearly identical so it was sort of easy to spot when it occured and we always used Comfort or Sport tyres so it was easier to notice anyway.

Having said this the symptoms were lap times would drop 1-2.5 secs a lap (depending on track length) loss of grip entering and exiting corners especially increased braking distances.

The way to solve it then was to reset the track (change to a different location and then back) but not always and sometimes it would plague only one player all night regardless. When this happened the person affected would use 1 grade of tyre softer and then hey presto all fixed (not really but we could race together again).

like I said, this new bug here reminds me of this old one but reversed. PD never admitted to this STB and so never adressed the issue (that I know of). It was even dismissed here by many as well and of course the person affected never really knew that he had it and just thought he was slower than everyone else.

Also I should not need to remind everyone GT6 online was plagued with bugs. The not being able to see other players on track, sound drop outs (that I also get with GT Sport!) etc, etc

It would seem to me in PD's efforts to iron out all these previous bugs they have over compensated somehow with GTS.

I have also noticed much slower players exhibiting extrordinary levels of grip and also noticed they have no idea how to drive either ;-) I would venture to say that this issue is far more widespread than anyone actually realises. You have identified a few people at the top end that exhibit this bug but the slower the driver the harder it will be to prove.

My $0.02 worth

Yes, I've not experienced this (or I dont know that I experienced it, I thought I was just slow).

However, there was a very similar issuie in the seasonal time trials. The first time it happend, wich I will never forget, was on nurb 24h. I had set a pretty bad time, and was trying to improve, and I could concistently be 1.2 to 1.4 sec ahead at the long back straight (the uphill section, not döttinger) when I urgently had to pick someone up at the airport. When I got back it was nigh impossible to match my ghost, and I was usually 0.5 to 0.7 behind when leaving the GP part of the track. I spent hours thinking its my driving, and I was just able to merely match my ghost once, where I had been easily ahean before every time.
And then there was the GT agademy events, I think it was event 1 and 2 in 2015. especially the GT-R R35 Nismo at silverstone, where everyone noticed it, and said if you exit and re-enter it would be fixed. I was driving until I was close to my limit, the exited and re-entered the track, and INSTANTLY gained a whole 1.7 seconds. That is an eye-watering ammount of time, and you could even feel it.

1. How sure are we that it is really just an on/off bug for >3sec advantage.
2. The basic driving school lessons (just accelerating or just braking) should show the bug most clearly. (If it exists outside races.) I find the acceleration times a little suspicious. Are they using manual clutch?
3. Aside from the bug, are we really sure that PS4 and PS4 Pro do exactly the same simulation. As a game developer, I know a lot of ways this could be messed up.

Another side note: I have been concerned with the issue of really equal physics since Gran Turismo 1. Even did an online survey for some basic driving school lessons. NO problems found. Equal hardware greatly reduces the chances of messing things up (as a developer).

Before that I had a ridiculous experience with the racing game "Screamer" on PC. Some Japanese guy posted lap times 5sec better than mine. I had practiced a lot, so this made me suspicious. I found that the grip was depending critically on the framerate. On a faster PC with low graphics settings (which I used for FPS>50) the cars were sliding a lot, while at FPS=10 (aargh), they had lots of grip. It was just a ridiculous implementation of friction/grip. Years later I played this on Pentium 3 or 4 at FPS>200 and it was just impossible to drive. The friction in this sim would go to 0 for infinite framerate. Just a ridiculous implementation.

Ah yes the framerate thing, that was affecting all sort of things in so many games back in the day. Try flying a helicopter in GTA vice city with a modern computer and frame limiter off :P
Nowadays, I really do hope its not relying on framerates anymore, and I dont think it is, as I've not seen any evidence of it, and it would be far more people affected, as there are alot of people on a PS4 pro, with twice the framerate.

I'm pretty disappointed in how poorly this bug is being legitimately tested in this thread. There are some very easy ways to confirm if there is a bug or if it's just speculation (a screenshot of when a brake is pressed during a race has so much room for variance it's laughable to rely on it).

If someone suspects they have the bug please do the following. Get a car and from a start line record a video of 10 or so 0-60 starts and stops. From a full stop hit 100% throttle, when reaching 60 switch to 100% brake. Record time and distance. take an average of all 10 results to account for reaction time and other small variances.

Switch to a new account, do the exact same thing, same car, same course, same tires, same settings. Compare the results.

This will for sure confirm or deny the existence of a bug. Currently it's just speculation.

Um, it has ben very professionally and methodically tested, with very convincing results. I'm slightly amazed you'd say that, and makes me wonder what one have to do to make it properly by your standards.
Your method sounds pretty.... well.... a bit dumb, to be brutally honest. As it could very well show no difference because its not necessarily connected to straight line braking power or traction.

I think all we were asking for was no more bug. They did solve this for the closest update planned, so personnally I'm all good.

Now if they want to hire us for bug testing or something else I wouldn't say no :P

There could be. If a few from each region were hitting the top 10 then it makes sense to assume there are plenty more that were not quite good enough to.

agreed, I feel like this affected more than we think. I often experienced racing against people that somehow could brake so much later so I tried mimicking their lines and end up wide/slow. The bug could've given a lot of people the ability to reach a higher DR but not be top ten. I mean if you think about it, there's a lot more players out there than who is seen (the ten). But again, all speculation, time and experiences will tell.

I have read every post on this topic here and thought it was time I said something.

What this sounds like to me is the exact oposite of what we used get on GT6 in online lobbies - "The Slipery Track Bug". When I previously (years ago litterally) discussed it here it was poo pooed by many and I was catergorically told it was my imagination so i stopped.

The "Slippery Track Bug - STB" could affect anywhere from 1 person to everyone present in the lobby. A close collegue and and I our lap times were nearly identical so it was sort of easy to spot when it occured and we always used Comfort or Sport tyres so it was easier to notice anyway.

Having said this the symptoms were lap times would drop 1-2.5 secs a lap (depending on track length) loss of grip entering and exiting corners especially increased braking distances.

The way to solve it then was to reset the track (change to a different location and then back) but not always and sometimes it would plague only one player all night regardless. When this happened the person affected would use 1 grade of tyre softer and then hey presto all fixed (not really but we could race together again).

like I said, this new bug here reminds me of this old one but reversed. PD never admitted to this STB and so never adressed the issue (that I know of). It was even dismissed here by many as well and of course the person affected never really knew that he had it and just thought he was slower than everyone else.

Also I should not need to remind everyone GT6 online was plagued with bugs. The not being able to see other players on track, sound drop outs (that I also get with GT Sport!) etc, etc

It would seem to me in PD's efforts to iron out all these previous bugs they have over compensated somehow with GTS.

I have also noticed much slower players exhibiting extrordinary levels of grip and also noticed they have no idea how to drive either ;-) I would venture to say that this issue is far more widespread than anyone actually realises. You have identified a few people at the top end that exhibit this bug but the slower the driver the harder it will be to prove.

My $0.02 worth

Don't know if this was what I got, but went to private lobby, tried a 2000gt & 512bb, then had a go in GT40 and experienced what I can only describe as apocalyptic understeer.

Nurb gp
Sunny (afternoon)
All driving aids off
Tyre / fuel off too (normally it's x5)
Sports mediums

The car simply would not turn after lifting off brake and (trying to) turn into apex. The brakes were almost non existent - going into turn 1, braking as hard as possible, down shifting to use engine braking - even braking well before the 150m marker I sailed past the apex and into the gravel with my hands at 90 degrees or more lock.

At Shumacher S's, braked early 3rd gear, start to turn in (off throttle) and car just drifts wider and wider and straight off the track.

Weirdest thing of all, it was really difficult to spin, even giving a little scandanavian flick and full gas the car 'gripped' back into shape??

A friend (who's much more skilled than me) tried the McLaren F1 and said the same, horror understeer.

Completely off topic, my brake balance was merged with the track map (bottom right corner of screen), I had the brake balance overlaying the mini track map?

Oh joy....

Don't know if this was what I got, but went to private lobby, tried a 2000gt & 512bb, then had a go in GT40 and experienced what I can only describe as apocalyptic understeer.

Nurb gp
Sunny (afternoon)
All driving aids off
Tyre / fuel off too (normally it's x5)
Sports mediums

The car simply would not turn after lifting off brake and (trying to) turn into apex. The brakes were almost non existent - going into turn 1, braking as hard as possible, down shifting to use engine braking - even braking well before the 150m marker I sailed past the apex and into the gravel with my hands at 90 degrees or more lock.

At Shumacher S's, braked early 3rd gear, start to turn in (off throttle) and car just drifts wider and wider and straight off the track.

Weirdest thing of all, it was really difficult to spin, even giving a little scandanavian flick and full gas the car 'gripped' back into shape??

A friend (who's much more skilled than me) tried the McLaren F1 and said the same, horror understeer.

Completely off topic, my brake balance was merged with the track map (bottom right corner of screen), I had the brake balance overlaying the mini track map?

Oh joy....

Try a car you know well instead of a new one. You probably have one of your ghosts saved around a track. Load it up and try to make a similar time with the same car.

If it's one of the GR.3 or GR.4 affected by BOP you might notice a small difference.

Great news, maybe a certain individual won't be starting at pole and winning most A/S races I join anymore. Hopefully it stays fixed. It was not just the top times, getting bumped by some people braking way late or using it to dive bomb got annoying as well. The unnatural moving cars did look funny.

Try a car you know well instead of a new one. You probably have one of your ghosts saved around a track. Load it up and try to make a similar time with the same car.

If it's one of the GR.3 or GR.4 affected by BOP you might notice a small difference.

I drove the LP400 lambo and old skool Vette before the 2000gt & 512bb - we were testing the LP400, Vette and Cobra last night and the laptimes were same as last night and they felt the same.

The 512bb and 2000gt were pretty much as expected and nothing seemed out of place.

Then I got in the GT40 and it's been along time since driving a car that didn't want to turn like that GT40 did. I checked to make sure I had sport mediums on, then tried again, same thing as before, understeer like I've not felt in along time.

I gave up and logged off, tried to go shoot people on Battlefield to feel better but then got PSN maintenance notice, so can't go online at all now... :indiff:

Great news, maybe a certain individual won't be starting at pole and winning most A/S races I join anymore. Hopefully it stays fixed. It was not just the top times, getting bumped by some people braking way late or using it to dive bomb got annoying as well. The unnatural moving cars did look funny.

I don't know in which region you are, but I think EU's top 10 were clean, today my friendlist buddy derek was in top 10 along with usual guys and he won one race I did.

Um, it has ben very professionally and methodically tested, with very convincing results. I'm slightly amazed you'd say that, and makes me wonder what one have to do to make it properly by your standards.
Your method sounds pretty.... well.... a bit dumb, to be brutally honest. As it could very well show no difference because its not necessarily connected to straight line braking power or traction.
You're late to the party dude, at that point it hadn't been well tested. I'm also surprised you think braking and acceleration don't have anything to do with tire grip, but I'll refrain from personal attacks.

Yep! More confirmation from Australia... Gotta feel bad for him a little. I’m a sad packet of insects.

View attachment 709322

So it’s clearly behind us now. It’s gonna be an interesting few days.

Jesus this guys attitude couldnt be worse. He's lying as well. He knows he has a bug for a couple of weeks since he came here to gtsport, and continued to play.

Enjoy getting down to your real level, buddy.

Thank you for ruining his game, and fixing our game PD!

I'm glad to see this fixed for now. Unfortunately this episode has cemented my belief that GT Sport's physics are clearly not a set of hard rules. This is disappointing for a supposed sim.

I got this feeling during the betas when they started playing with different "tire models" and it felt like entirely different racing games. Makes me feel like the rules can change at any time, so I'm reluctant to invest too much time into it.

Hopefully they reformed or eliminated the yellow flag penalties.

Jesus this guys attitude couldnt be worse. He's lying as well. He knows he has a bug for a couple of weeks since he came here to gtsport, and continued to play.

Enjoy getting down to your real level, buddy.

Thank you for ruining his game, and fixing our game PD!

Gotta keep an eye on their DR graphs on Kudos Prime... Gonna be interesting!

@RA1784 Thank you so much for not resorting to that kind of behaviour with the bug. I have great respect for you :)

You're late to the party dude, at that point it hadn't been well tested. I'm also surprised you think braking and acceleration don't have anything to do with tire grip, but I'll refrain from personal attacks.
Yes, I was late to the party, as I also wrote myself.

And your comment was on januari 15. at wich point several test had already been done, even the boost-test had been done at that point, so your excuse does really not hold up. Alex already had most of the testing done and posted in v1 of this thread.

Im not saying it would'nt show any difference, I'm just saying any test results from such test doesn't tell us anything whatsoever.

Very nice job bug testers. All the concise facts and format probably made PD's job a lot easier for the quick fix.

An especially big thank you to @RA1784 too. You've sacrificed a lot to help out when you could have easily kept quiet. Very refreshing to see.:bowdown:

...and a big shout out to @MasterGT for notifying PD so quickly. Thank you.

...What can I blame for losing races now? 🤬

Late to the party but thank you and congrats to the team that identified, tested and reported out on this bug. Working in IT production support I know it's a big boring undertaking and you were never guaranteed a response let alone a timely one. Thank you for sticking to it and seeing it through! :cheers:

@RA1784 Thank YOU for being an awesome human being and taking the personal hit to help right this for the whole community. We all owe you big time! :bowdown::cheers:

Late to the party but thank you and congrats to the team that identified, tested and reported out on this bug. Working in IT production support I know it's a big boring undertaking and you were never guaranteed a response let alone a timely one. Thank you for sticking to it and seeing it through! :cheers:

@RA1784 Thank YOU for being an awesome human being and taking the personal hit to help right this for the whole community. We all owe you big time! :bowdown::cheers:

Yes RA1784 is the real hero here. He gets my vote for the Sportsmanship of the Year Award.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back