Grip bug thread

• Thread starter GT_Alex74
  • 570 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
There could be, it would depend on what exactly causes it and that's not known yet. The amount gained by people with it will be different, for instance if they have not noticed that they can brake way later than most they are missing out on a lot of the advantage they could have.

It could be more widespread too, lately I've seen some odd driving from mid pack runners, more so than usual, bad lines, moving all over the place, especially when braking and so on and yet they still manage to corner and to go fast enough (about a second to second and a half off the very fast guys), now it could be because they use the pad and that's why it looks bad but it could be the glitch helping them, who knows at this point.
There are poor connections to think about there too. Cars sway and move about in an awkward way due to the game guessing and then correcting cars positioning.

That wheel bug isn't related. The player still has the "right" wheels locally, it's just a matter of the livery not loading properly to other players. And changing the wheels on a livery has been ruled out as well.

What could be interesting to check though is if infected players have tyre deformation like this :

5765196932352868880_0.jpg

Sadly, I haven't saved any of those replays so can't take pictures to verify.

I will take a screenshot next time I am on. Though I am not sure how lag would impact this.

There are poor connections to think about there too. Cars sway and move about in an awkward way due to the game guessing and then correcting cars positioning.

Yes but I've seen cars with full bars of connection doing it too, I admit it could still be lag related though as the bars are probably not that accurate.

Yes but I've seen cars with full bars of connection doing it too, I admit it could still be lag related though as the bars are probably not that accurate.
They only update once a minute or something, had mine at 1 bar red at the start of a sport mode race, I knew my connection was good though, and as expected half way round lap 1 in qualifying it turned 4 bars green.

Hi guys, long term lurker and thought I'd finally sign up! I've had GTS since release day and am currently driving with a T300 Alcantara at DR A / SR S, times generally a second or so off of top 10, but can be less depending on the combo - I'd class myself as fairly consistent. I've been watching this thread with interest and the current race B (Nurb GP Gr3) has posed some question marks for me. I'm on a 1.57.1 and concede that I need to tighten up my lines and get out of the apexes more smoothly, but I watched the replay of the number 2-3 time (may have now changed, his name is TRZ_DAVISENNA) and the guy wasn't hitting apexes, was overrunning in places, losing traction and just generally looked a poor lap, yet he was on a low 1.55. If you watched my replay versus his you'd easily say my time looked faster as my lines are at least correct even if there is room for improvement. This could be a game breaker if it is identified as being widespread, especially given the esports focus

Hi guys, long term lurker and thought I'd finally sign up! I've had GTS since release day and am currently driving with a T300 Alcantara at DR A / SR S, times generally a second or so off of top 10, but can be less depending on the combo - I'd class myself as fairly consistent. I've been watching this thread with interest and the current race B (Nurb GP Gr3) has posed some question marks for me. I'm on a 1.57.1 and concede that I need to tighten up my lines and get out of the apexes more smoothly, but I watched the replay of the number 2-3 time (may have now changed, his name is TRZ_DAVISENNA) and the guy wasn't hitting apexes, was overrunning in places, losing traction and just generally looked a poor lap, yet he was on a low 1.55. If you watched my replay versus his you'd easily say my time looked faster as my lines are at least correct even if there is room for improvement. This could be a game breaker if it is identified as being widespread, especially given the esports focus

I’ll have a look in a bit for you, TRZ guys are usually pretty quick but can’t remember seeing that exact name before. Best thing to do is compare to other top times, they make the grip bug stand out the most.

Save the replay if you can in case it’s not in the top 10 when I get on.

I do firmly believe that this bug goes both ways. For every person out there that is 1-4 seconds a lap quicker than they should be, there is likely just as many people who are 1-4 seconds a lap slower and wondering what all the fuss is about. To them, this game simply sucks and has terrible tire modelling.

I'm a betting man and I'm still thinking this is a memory leak issue. Memory leaks, overwrites the offsets for tires, and then that state is saved. In other words, the server says "RH" for this race, but since your local offsets are inconsistent, you end up with RM, RS, or even RSS.

TRZ_DAVISENNA's lap look normal to me. He uses second gear out of slow corners to avoid wheelspin but it's obvious he doesn't smash the trotthe as you would expect if he had the grip issue.

@Voodoovaj I'd say it's better to not dweel on speculations until we see it. For now we know there's an issue with too much grip only. If you find a replay where someone is struggling for grip for no reason, save it and share it. That will help. :)

I guess it’s now going to become a witch hunt until PD gets their act together.

Honestly, some legal laps look weird because the kerbs and grass are not realistic in GTS. Suspensions would fail and cars would crash in real life.

Still, the drivers we shall not name are clearly exploiting the game. They won PD’s bug lottery and enjoying undeserved fame for the time being.

@Voodoovaj we have no reason to think the bug has an opposed version making you lose grip for now. Anyway that would be harder to spot I think, unless it is a well known guy concerned.

And again, it's more than just a tyre switch. RA found an advantage even with RSS tyres. IMO it looks more like something like SRF would be on.

@hellZfirE it's up to him now, but thanks anyways for sending the message ;)

TRZ_DAVISENNA's lap look normal to me. He uses second gear out of slow corners to avoid wheelspin but it's obvious he doesn't smash the trotthe as you would expect if he had the grip issue.

@Voodoovaj I'd say it's better to not dweel on speculations until we see it. For now we know there's an issue with too much grip only. If you find a replay where someone is struggling for grip for no reason, save it and share it. That will help. :)

The braking point at T7 seems very late, I've overshot the apex braking earlier than that I'm sure. It just struck me as a messy lap compared to the guy below him

I guess it’s now going to become a witch hunt until PD gets their act together.

Honestly, some legal laps look weird because the kerbs and grass are not realistic in GTS. Suspensions would fail and cars would crash in real life.

Still, the drivers we shall not name are clearly exploiting the game. They won PD’s bug lottery and enjoying undeserved fame for the time being.

I think it's important people don't go out looking at the top 10 times trying to find people that might have this bug, the leaderboards are already being pretty closely monitored by a good number of people who know what they are looking for and have a lot of experience doing and looking at top times. If you think we have missed something and you think a lap is questionable it might be better to send a PM to myself, @GT_Alex74, @zzz_pt or any of the other experienced drivers in this thread and we can have a look for you (probably best to message me as I have people in every region that know what they are looking for and can check/record for me if it's not a European time). I don't think it helps anyone for this thread to devolve into calling out every scruffy lap in the top 10 especially if you don't particularly know what you're looking for or can tell the difference between a bugged lap and a normal lap. But that's just my opinion, not sure if others would agree.
The braking point at T7 seems very late, I've overshot the apex braking earlier than that I'm sure. It just struck me as a messy lap compared to the guy below him

I've watched the lap and it seems completely normal.

I took a look at a few of the top ten and they looked fine enough to me, apart from the abuse of track limits that happens everytime there is a race here. Should be penalties for doing it but there isn't so it's exploited.

@Voodoovaj we have no reason to think the bug has an opposed version making you lose grip for now. Anyway that would be harder to spot I think, unless it is a well known guy concerned.

And again, it's more than just a tyre switch. RA found an advantage even with RSS tyres. IMO it looks more like something like SRF would be on.

Hmm...SRF.

I doubt they would have removed that feature from the code. They simply would have removed user access to it. Someone mentioned in might be tied to the settings not saving properly. The effect may be "increased grip" but the cause may be the settings being corrupt and SRF being turned on instead of the default.

If grip is increased across the board, then it's definitely not a tire issue, so that can be ruled out. SRF is starting to look like a culprit.

Come to think of it, the GA99 lap was done with CSA, but it looked nothing like the CSA laps I do and it looks nothing like the CSA from GT6. If SRF is on though, then it should look just like that video.

Is SRF in the debug menu? Or something similar to it?

I only used CSA once in karts and still had to have a decent racing line to be relatively fast.

I know RA said it wasn’t related to the debug menu issue though.

For me the most important part would be, how this thread or this issue with this really game changing bug reaches PD.

Is there a common way? Are they Reading that here? Is someone in touch with them? Otherwise it would be really sad, if all of this written, is not even getting close to PD:/

SRF only affected cornering grip, not braking distances.

True, but if you had more corner grip, you could brake later with less ill effect.

Is SRF in the debug menu? Or something similar to it?

I only used CSA once in karts and still had to have a decent racing line to be relatively fast.

I know RA said it wasn’t related to the debug menu issue though.

It may not be related to the debug menu bug, but if SRF is in there, we may be able to reproduce the bug.

I've been wondering how PD will fix this bug assuming they do investigate and identify it.

If I've been following right, the bug is in the players Progress save file, both on the players PS4 and on the PD server.

A: For every user, PD would need to export all the players progress from the server file and create a new server file that is forced to overwrite the players PS4 progress file as a one off exercise. Any offline progress during the process will be lost.
or
B: PD is able to identify what is in the players progress file that is causing this, and creates an override for everyone every time they login. They will still have the bug in offline mode and wont be able to practice the games physics.

True, but if you had more corner grip, you could brake later with less ill effect.
That doesn't seem to be happening since these guys were sliding through corners. Whatever grip they were getting was helping with accel/decel.

SRF only affected cornering grip, not braking distances.

Yes in the past GT games, who knows what it'll do with these physics. They have also altered traction levels and other grip issues via various updates too, traction control has completely changed with how it works compared to release for instance.

Maybe PD took SRF out, by making it not selectable because it doesn't/they couldn't get it to work properly (how they want it to) with these physics and not because it was stupid, awful, (insert other hating words here), etc.

The settings resetting is probably related to the grip increase somewhere, even if it isn't because of a hidden SRF option being turned on. Whatever it is lets hope PD know and fix it soon, especially as it is surely likely to spread to more players.

On that latest point, the best thing would be to have some feedback from other infected people to know if they have that resetting problem as well, but nobody deemed to reply yet.

If anyone reading this has that resetting bug, it would be very nice of you to do a fast lap on one of the current Daily Races combo and share your best lap replay
(send me a PM if you do so someone can add you as a friend on PSN). That would allow us to know if the grip bug is really tied to that.

If it’s in their save files, can they really patch them without knowing who has the bug? They might just mess everything up no? Self proclaimed noob here.

I know we don’t necessarily know what the hell is going on...

Today marks the 3rd day since this bug has been alerted to PD. I'm optimistic that PD will respond credibly within a reasonable time given the integrity of GTS is in question.

This community has done a fantastic job to bring this issue into the light and from the looks of it, continue to remain supportive to GTS. However as this bug is inherently fundamental, I will exercise my choice to opt out of Sport Mode until a confident resolution is achieved. I can see no other effective way to communicate to PD that we the players are at the heart of GTS.

Today marks the 3rd day since this bug has been alerted to PD. I'm optimistic that PD will respond credibly within a reasonable time given the integrity of GTS is in question.

This community has done a fantastic job to bring this issue into the light and from the looks of it, continue to remain supportive to GTS. However as this bug is inherently fundamental, I will exercise my choice to opt out of Sport Mode until a confident resolution is achieved. I can see no other effective way to communicate to PD that we the players are at the heart of GTS.

I hear you but I enjoy sport mode too much to boycott it. It’s only a handful of drivers... The crazy disparities in fuel consumption is a worst game breaking issue than the few players with alien grip.

Still think it’s a valid way to protest ;)

Today marks the 3rd day since this bug has been alerted to PD. I'm optimistic that PD will responis community has done a fantastic job to bring this issue into the light and from the looks of it, continue to remain supportive to GTS. However as this bug is inherently fundamental, I will exercise my choice to opt out of Sport Mode until a confident resolution is achieved. I can see no other effective way to communicate to PD that we the players are at the heart of GTS.
IMO if PD read this thread they better put some smart guys on it ASAP cause like you say the integrity of the competition, wich is the core of the game, is in question. For this reason i have no doubt PD will take this highly when they find out about it. But it might take them some time for they can fix this so we do need to have a little patience.

As far as i can tell it is not a widespread bug though. So i will continue enjoying Sport mode untill they adress it like i have been doing up to this point. These boycots never work anyway cause the majority will just keep playing it. So i disagree with you about it being an effective way to communicate to PD. But if thats what you feel you should do then by all means go ahead and stop playing. Its your choice ofcourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back