GT Academy Edition Challenge Online Qualifying TT

Cheers man, a good 1.2 seconds out of top 6 which is a lot of time still to make up. Going to be some sleepless nights coming up... Hopefully top 6 don't get too much faster!

Lol hopefully. This TT reminds me of the GT4 days when I still had a controller and I just put so much time in trying to gold all the licenses/driving missions! So you could say the challenge is just an overglorified license test :lol:

Lol hopefully. This TT reminds me of the GT4 days when I still had a controller and I just put so much time in trying to gold all the licenses/driving missions! So you could say the challenge is just an overglorified license test :lol:

That's so true, haven't had to grind like this for years. Really enjoying it though. Very addicting challenge..

That's so true, haven't had to grind like this for years. Really enjoying it though. Very addicting challenge..

Great time dude! At work at the moment and I see your cheeky 1,46'4 right after I set my 46'6 today :lol:. Gonna have to put a couple of laps in tonight when I finish to match or beat that lap ;)

Great time dude! At work at the moment and I see your cheeky 1,46'4 right after I set my 46'6 today :lol:. Gonna have to put a couple of laps in tonight when I finish to match or beat that lap ;)

Spent most the day trying to get low 1.46 kept messing up last corner on every decent lap. Lapping consistent 1.46's now. Good luck for tonight will keep an eye on your times. :)

hi ive got a small problem with my t500rs its throttle is not opening 100% its dropping down to 80 % a few times a lap does anyone know of a quick fix to get me back at the races

hi ive got a small problem with my t500rs its throttle is not opening 100% its dropping down to 80 % a few times a lap does anyone know of a quick fix to get me back at the races

I am having same issue with my g27 I am unable to accelerate 100% at least once every two laps also it will keep 25% throttle when accelerator is released which is a nightmare round some corners as you cannot get optimum turn into apex. Also brake flashes on by itself randomly which is even more frustrating. I am not sure what to do, have tried taking it apart as i thought clearing dust out would help but still same issue.

May have to bite bullet and invest in a new wheel! :grumpy:

You might want to read this, it basically says 'update the firmware', although his problem was not the same as yours I think. Good luck. You deserve it at 54th. place mate 👍

I am having same issue with my g27 I am unable to accelerate 100% at least once every two laps also it will keep 25% throttle when accelerator is released which is a nightmare round some corners as you cannot get optimum turn into apex. Also brake flashes on by itself randomly which is even more frustrating. I am not sure what to do, have tried taking it apart as i thought clearing dust out would help but still same issue.

May have to bite bullet and invest in a new wheel! :grumpy:

Sort it out mate! I have been having the same issue with the throttle and brake pedal for my wheel. It took a couple of days for the brake issue to go away when I opened my G27 pedals up but I think the throttle is always a little sticky for this car since it's a paddle-shift.

Did a 46'4 about an hour or two ago and was in line to get a low 46 when my flatmate comes around to break my rhythm :grumpy:

Current lap is a quarter of a second off my PB in the first sector and probably another tenth or two in the last so a 1,45 definitely looks do-able now.

Sort it out mate! I have been having the same issue with the throttle and brake pedal for my wheel. It took a couple of days for the brake issue to go away when I opened my G27 pedals up but I think the throttle is always a little sticky for this car since it's a paddle-shift.

Did a 46'4 about an hour or two ago and was in line to get a low 46 when my flatmate comes around to break my rhythm :grumpy:

Current lap is a quarter of a second off my PB in the first sector and probably another tenth or two in the last so a 1,45 definitely looks do-able now.

Yeah i'll try again tomorrow taking it apart, if no luck may just fork out for new wheel. Nice time man i spent so long trying to beat my time and only managed 0.05 off today. Had few really good first sectors i'm thinking 1.45 is doable also it's just a matter of putting the full lap together without any mistakes.

Yeah i'll try again tomorrow taking it apart, if no luck may just fork out for new wheel. Nice time man i spent so long trying to beat my time and only managed 0.05 off today. Had few really good first sectors i'm thinking 1.45 is doable also it's just a matter of putting the full lap together without any mistakes.

Yeah man make sure you try get all of the dust out of the potentiometers with a compressed air can or something. It's nice to have a few kiwis pushing each others times up the leaderboard!

Do you chaps want to divulge any tips to a struggling Limey stuck on 1:47.5? I know it's counter-productive to share secrets in a competition but I'll never be a threat (I promise :)). You could always PM me if you don't want to do it publicly but I won't hold my breath :banghead:

Do you chaps want to divulge any tips to a struggling Limey stuck on 1:47.5? I know it's counter-productive to share secrets in a competition but I'll never be a threat (I promise :)). You could always PM me if you don't want to do it publicly but I won't hold my breath :banghead:

Don't the replays already show all the techniques anyway. You can even use data logger to check to see where you are losing time if need be. Good to look at throttle and brake as well as cockpit view for steering. Easy to be on pace straight away then as you already know the best line and minimum speed to carry. Still hard to set a top time though. It is getting a bit more interesting at top. I wonder how the fastest lap looks like. IMMORTALPILOT has improved twice already today from what I saw. 1:45.123 is fastest time now. I wonder if sub 1:45 is possible?

Don't the replays already show all the techniques anyway. You can even use data logger to check to see where you are losing time if need be. Good to look at throttle and brake as well as cockpit view for steering. Easy to be on pace straight away then as you already know the best line and minimum speed to carry. Still hard to set a top time though. It is getting a bit more interesting at top. I wonder how the fastest lap looks like. IMMORTALPILOT has improved twice already today from what I saw. 1:45.123 is fastest time now. I wonder if sub 1:45 is possible?

Thanks Saidur_Ali. I hadn't thought of looking at the steering in cockpit view and this is one of my theories right now: that I oversteer making the tyres squeal and losing traction because I'm going too fast. Can I 'load' both my and IP's replays into the data logger simultaneously to compare them?

Thanks Saidur_Ali. I hadn't thought of looking at the steering in cockpit view and this is one of my theories right now: that I oversteer making the tyres squeal and losing traction because I'm going too fast. Can I 'load' both my and IP's replays into the data logger simultaneously to compare them?
Good to minimise steering input to stop car understeering and keep traction. You can be more forceful with steering in this type of car though when you need it when track tightens up. Remember visual steering of cockpit view, you have to visualise inputs as much more than it shows. You can compare between your lap and fastest by looking up replay of both to be a fair comparison to see difference exactly.

About data logger, Should be able to as long as you used the save fastest lap option on your replay. I don't really use data logger but it should be helpful to see difference in throttle and brake technique as well as speed.

Hehe sorry about my terminology, I mean of course that I get understeer because I 'over-steer' - if I was a little slower and gentler with the wheel I think I'd get less understeer and more traction in the corners for acceleration.:boggled: But I do like making the back end come around by wrenching the wheel a bit as I approach.

Have you got visual cues yet of track, when to brake, what speed to try and take corner and exact line to take. Then you can progressively build on that. Makes a big difference and like mentioned less steering input should help get rid of some of the understeer. Good to watch fastest laps and see where they are using minimal steering and a lot of steering, as well as braking points and acceleration points as well as speed they carry and line they take.

Hey SirAlanClive. Or anyone :) Get some consistency in your laps and always save your best lap of the session. Then save one of the top 10 competitors replays, and in the replay theatre Data Logger load up that top 10 lap. Then Load up your own lap.

It will default to comparing data vs track distance. Look at that White trace at the top. Anywhere your speed (dark white) is below the fast lap (bright white) you have room to improve. The area between the lines is literally "time". You can see where you can improve e.g. by braking later, more speed etc.

You can also see what it takes to have a good technique:
Brake hard only to get speed down so you can turn in. In the Brakes trace this is the big lumps (80-100% brakes) Downshift early at full power then off the throttle to maximise engine braking and get the car turning (weight over front wheels, back wheels slipping, not sliding!) Let go the throttle completely and steer. No touchie the throttle until at/past the apex.
Turn in and only then "touch" the brakes to nudge the car down to the apex, you can see the nose drop slightly. In the Brakes trace, you can see small lumps (10% brakes), this is what is happening.
Never touch the grass, never run up high on the red and white.
Full power on exit to try (try try!) maximise oversteer.

Repeat the analysis and drive, analysis and drive. I have got down to high 47's, it's all about eliminating the gaps between the speed traces. Like F1 teams, 2 drivers comparing waveforms and see how and where to try and go faster.

The fast guys have fantastic linear speed traces that look almost like sawtooth waveforms :) Braking and then slowing to the apex, the V of the waveform where they speed up off the apex to the next braking point, the ^ of the waveform. To generate that waveform it's all about the perfect line and perfect timing.

I am now 224th, and every time I go faster it's only by 1 2 or 3 tenths... every tiny scrap of speed difference counts, every carlength counts. I may never go faster but I won't stop trying!

BIG THANKS to J. Clarkson!!!

One thing - good cornering makes the front tires go red hot, only for a second or two maximum, before they become runny and slidey... The inside front tire slips more and will glow red first. Try and hold that. Don't have a idea of a fixed angle of steering, try cranking the steering for an instant to get back on line, then relax angle a bit. Try out past 90degrees, 180degrees even for an instant. Just don't melt the tires completely cos then your corner is stuffed.

One more thing! The top guys are getting their times on cold tires. The car is less understeery at full power on cold tires, one lap only! The rear tires take more than a lap to heat up properly.

One more thing! The most gradual turn is the fastest at full power. More steering angle = more turn = less acceleration = less speed = time lost. Smooth transitions... Now if I could just DO all that...

Thanks Saidur_Ali, mikew1927, David and my secret kiwis for all the advice. There's some good stuff there and I'm on it. Got a bit distracted with the new TT and I've started reading the off topic forum, Opinions and Current Events which I strongly recommend. We certainly have some clued up Admins on this site who have learned the art of submitting entertaining posts! If I can tear myself out of the energy debate in there (not to mention stuff like "Do you believe in God" and "Creationism v. Darwinism" ...let it rip guys :crazy:) I'll get back to the job in hand.

Will have to try and find some time for this event soon but it's proving difficult with summer school starting and work being the usual. 12eece your really pulling away from the rest of us in NZ! How many more days do you reckon it will take before you crack the 45's?

Lol spoke too soon (2 minutes to be exact). Good job on the 45.9 👍

Last edited:
Will have to try and find some time for this event soon but it's proving difficult with summer school starting and work being the usual. 12eece your really pulling away from the rest of us in NZ! How many more days do you reckon it will take before you crack the 45's?

Lol spoke too soon (2 minutes to be exact). Good job on the 45.9 👍

Cheers Louie, got a new wheel this morning. Much better with brake and accelerator pedal not playing up. Old wheel had taken a good thrashing over the years about time for an upgrade.

Relax....don't push...no tyre squealing....ignore the ghost.....YES!!... I improved 0.3 s to move from 204th to 163rd with 1:47.257. Second best in Norway and I haven't even started analysing yet.
I guess the motto is keep at it. See you up there in the 100's guys!

Hi guys! I'm just ahead of you SirAlanClive, or possibly not by now! 1:47.174

Now about that data logger. One more thing! On the map display, select the circular arrow to fix heading to car. Then zoom zoom (twice). The track widens, and you can see the car position on the track. I say zoom twice, because at that zoom, the arrowhead width seems to best approximate the car width (rumblestrip sounds when the arrowhead base touches the sides).

Now you can see that the arrowhead which represents the car, points slightly left and right with respect to the vertical reference line. The vertical line appears to match the direction of the cars velocity vector (kids, study physics in school). The direction of the arrowhead is the attitude of the car indicating understeer, or oversteer (almost never oversteer in this car!)

The most annoying thing missing from the data logger is a steering trace in my opinion...

Thanks. Yes I like my vectors :). One question: I'm using the DFGT. What FF values are people using. I found 10 to be a lot of work but 1 gives too little feedback. I tried 7 and even that was painful (I have double tennis elbow :ouch:) trying 5 in today's session. Seems 10 is the only viable option?

Last edited:
What about 8?

Anyway a few improvements at top, IMMORTALPILOT going quicker with a 1:45.079. I wonder if he will break that 1:45 barrier by the end of it. He has a habit of breaking the barrier to the next second on TTs (Proof ;))

What about 8?

Anyway a few improvements at top, IMMORTALPILOT going quicker with a 1:45.079. I wonder if he will break that 1:45 barrier by the end of it. He has a habit of breaking the barrier to the next second on TTs (Proof ;))

Using lower values lets me turn the wheel more than I should be able to, resulting in squealing red tyres and understeer with loss of traction. Using 10 and trying to avoid 'understeering' gives me increased traction. Slow is fast, steer minimally, trailbrake, and gentle with the throttle.
One thing which p's me off is that ok, I'm 1,6 behind IP at the first checkpoint, then I manage to lose a second more on that little hill before the second checkpoint. Got to be room for improvement there ;)
He's going sub 1:45 for sure. Amazing driving IP....it's a real pleasure to watch you work. I know you peek in here sometimes: you're an inspiration to us all. Thanks.

Back