GT Academy European Race Camp

• Thread starter Tom King
  • 93 comments
Great,
See you in abu Dhabi :cheers:
Is there Info wenn is exactly the race Camp .
If you dont want to Post it here, write me please a PM. :)

Hello gents, I need some help.

One of the other north african (finalists) got disqualified for his racing experience, we think it's a bit unfair since he doesn't hold a national A license nor did he really compete in anything aside from some karting championships, so we're hoping to get some sort of racing background information regarding previous GTacademy winners/finalists so he could hopefully have the decision reversed, would be really appreciated

I'm all about fair play, so if they've disqualified him then that's the rules.

But away from all that, as a race camp finalist myself, I want to win. So if a uk guy was disqualified for racing experience, I'd be jumping for joy.. Not trying to get my biggest threat back into the mix.

I'm all about fair play, so if they've disqualified him then that's the rules.

But away from all that, as a race camp finalist myself, I want to win. So if a uk guy was disqualified for racing experience, I'd be jumping for joy.. Not trying to get my biggest threat back into the mix.
If he did more than one karting season, it's fair as it follows the rules! If not then it's unfair!

Fair enough but I feel he may have gotten hard done by here.

Fair enough but I feel he may have gotten hard done by here.
Here's the relevant parts of the rules:
To enter this Competition, each Entrant must:
(g)not have an existing competition driving contract with any motor sports team, body, agent or management company that conflicts with his/her ability to accept the Race Camp Prize;
(h)not previously held a National A or superior MSA license or equivalent in another Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) recognised National Sporting Authority (ASN) or Recognised Motorsport Body;
(i)not have competed in any form of 4 wheeled motorsport at a national championship level for more than one full season (the Promoter reserves the right to judge what classes as national level motorsport)
If you say:
nor did he really compete in anything aside from some karting championships,
it's likely that he breaks at least two of those, in that he's done too much driving and he may have a contract he'd have to break to take the Race Camp prize should he win.

As for the racing experience of the previous winners... almost none at all. The two most experienced are Wolfgang, who was a sim racer and had done some track days in some interesting machinery, and Lucas, who was a karting instructor.

As for the racing experience of the previous winners... almost none at all. The two most experienced are Wolfgang, who was a sim racer and had done some track days in some interesting machinery, and Lucas, who was a karting instructor.

Ricardo was a driving instructor as well as having race experience before Race Camp

Ricardo was a driving instructor as well as having race experience before Race Camp
Ah, I wasn't aware of the International chaps.

We were talking about you during the Japan 12h broadcast.

Didn't the Frenchman also do open wheel racing aswell?
Mitjet series.

I guess pretty much every winner had experience. Which not means it was outside the rules. But for example, as in current rules, you could have done 20 years of rally participating in 80% of each season (it's often the case in rally), and still be inside the rules.

Well in the end, the fastest will win I guess :)

I guess pretty much every winner had experience.
It's much closer to the other way round - though I'm not familiar with Gaetan's participation in MitJet (I've seen some videos of him driving an unliveried MitJet car at Pau in 2012), the fact is that we have 19 GT Academy winners so far and only a few can we put actual track experience to, never mind race experience...

2008 - Lucas Ordonez, Lars Schlommer
2010 - Jordan Tresson
2011 - Jann Mardenborough, Bryan Heitkotter
2012 - Wolfgang Reip, Peter Pyzera, Mark Shulzhitskiy, Steve Doherty
2013 - Miguel Faisca, Florian Strauss, Stanislav Aksenov, Nick McMillen, Ashley Oldfield, Salman Al-Khater
2014 - Gaetan Paletou, Marc Gassner, Ricardo Sanchez, Nic Hammann

Though it's always funny to see people saying that Jann did several years of karting.

As far as I'm aware, his race experience didn't go any further than a season or two karting when he was about ten years old. Still more experience than many of the GT Academy contestants/winners, but still within the rules.

What heapend with Lars Schlommer, he does not appear anywhere about GT Academy ?

I understand he had some sort of health issue after winning, so couldn't start the DDP.

Also, I heard Gaetan just 'had a go' in the MIT jet car.. It was just a practice session.

Don't take that as fact though, it's just what I heard.

As far as I'm aware, his race experience didn't go any further than a season or two karting when he was about ten years old. Still more experience than many of the GT Academy contestants/winners, but still within the rules.

Ricardo was racing in the mexican copa tc2000 or whatever it is called, as well as instructing for BMW

We were talking about you during the Japan 12h broadcast.

Only good things I hope??!! ;-)

Best of luck to everyone. May the best driver win. 👍

Also Adrian Newey is a great addition to the judging team given the successful drivers he was worked with over the years.

Go get'em team GTP, hold nothing back and learn tips from other competitors about the challanges if they did them before you.

Eliminated from this joke. Happy to be home and never talk me again about this gt academy random challenge ever.

14 hours of plane, 2 minutes driving a juke with drift tyres. Best lap time of my team. I'm out.

See ya on track guys, but will make my way through serious things now, not tv shows.

Eliminated from this joke. Happy to be home and never talk me again about this gt academy random challenge ever.

14 hours of plane, 2 minutes driving a juke with drift tyres. Best lap time of my team. I'm out.

See ya on track guys, but will make my way through serious things now, not tv shows.

What? Care to explain in detail what happened? :/

Back