GT Academy European Race Camp

• Thread starter Tom King
  • 93 comments
Pretty unfortunate hearing this negative feeddback about GTAcademy. I enjoyed reading about the behind the scenes stuff in recent years but it seems they've jumped the shark.

Asia Race Camp was very well run, most probably due to the past 7 years of running the Academy in Silverstone culminating into that week.

There was always a possibility that the Euro Race Camp being run in a different venue would cause a lot of headaches but the idea behind running it in Abu Dhabi looked good on paper.

In saying that; I've got a massive write-up of my Asia Race Camp experience in the works. Will be very detailed and going to pretty it up to publication level in case any interested parties were watching. Should go up here in GTP and on my facebook page once it's done (aiming to get the write-up out before the end of the year). Watch this space! :D

Hi guys,

Didn't have some time to come on the forum since my victory.
First of all, thanks for your congratulations after my race winning :)

I feel really sorry for those who were eliminated too early in the competition, especially you @Crocket_PS, but I am not good only in straight ;). I did the second time in the juke challenge, and I have to say, if Crocket was really impressive, he was much more experienced than I was as well.
It is right that the competition was pretty disturbed by all the "show stuffs" and some of us didn't spend enough time behind the wheel. The GT Academy was different this year, with 56 finalist, no national final, a different track ...
But before the final I knew I had to be ready for any challenge, so even if I was surprised like every one else, even if the driving time was limited etc ... I had the willpower to continue and I never gave up because I knew my dream was waiting for me at the end and it was my only chance to enter motor racing.
So, maybe I was not the fastest driver because I had absolutely no experience, but I am sure I was the most determinated and the one who had the best potential, and this is the only competiton in the world considering this elements.
For those who think it was a joke, just ask yourself "how many times will I have the opportunity to earn a professional driver contract in my life ?". So was it worth it to handle the camera, the presure and the short time we had in a car ? Definitively yes. Trust me I had plenty of driving time in Silverstone while my DDP ;)

Wish all the competitors the best and hope you will find something for you in motorsport, never give up.
Have a great end of year guys :)

Romain

Last edited:
Romain,

I wish you all the best for the future and I hope you will get your GT3 seat aswell. But please don't tell us things like "...I am sure I was the most determinated and the one who had the best potential, and this is the only competiton in the world considering this elements.."

To do the qualifying for the final race not on track but on the playstation was the most stupid idea EVER (even the driving instructors and many other people said that..) You know that it was simply impossible to overtake at this short track because of 1) track layout 2) only 6! laps with 1:16min laptimes 3) cars were overheating like hell if you started to push and if you followed another car your water temp. reached about 150° after 2 laps and you started to loose power. You overtook the english guy because of his mistake in T1 and all the other overtaking was because of driving errors or overheating cars loosing power.

Once again, you won the race and I wish you all the best but I think to say you have the best potential is a bit too much..

Here you can see the lap times from the free practice one day before, when every driver (Both finalists of each region) had 3x3(4) laps with co-pilots (instructor, team leader, mentor).

Spare Car time was not set from competitors ;)
6e1pweh.jpg

Rosetti,

Please read the whole sentence : "maybe I was not the fastest driver because I had absolutely no experience, but I am sure I was the most determinated...".
And yes, it was hard to overtake but not impossible; Simone did a fantastic job, starting 5th and finishing 3rd...
I didn't say I was the only one to deserve the victory, there were other great drivers, but unfortunately there could have only one GT Academy winner and it was not all about the final race. The judges took in consideration every things they saw during the race camp.

Thank you for sharing your opinion :)

Back