GT Academy July 2013!!

\Because those who have full time jobs would be able to put in an equal effort...or more even anyway.

Jerome

Those who have full time jobs and the talent (dedication) to get to Silverstone, still get there. Find another excuse.

To be honest I've always said this, you can limit it, you can have unlimited, you'll still get a similar outcome. First one I went to I was a student (I still had dissertation stuff) but I had alot more time and did more laps, the second time round I had a FT job and I couldn't do many I still qualified for the national finals, and in fact in a better position!

The thing is you can do 200 laps in a day if you really wanted, you won't get the best performance out of yourself because you can only have so much focus and attention for so long, before you 'drone' out.

The best thing to do if you want to qualify, is practice and keep practicing, not just turn up at the academy hoping for rank 1. There's people like Mitch who have been practicing all year, and to me somebody like that deserves a place far more than those who just turn up expecting it, as that's dedication and also the 'will' to really go for a dream prize. Anyone with a full time job can still practice 30 mins - 1 hour a day, and still achieve good results, you just have to manage your time right 👍.

Just always remember your going after a dream prize, you will have to sacrifice time, and put in effort to get there! Respect your competitors and do your very best, and you should have no complaints!

Good luck all for this one :)!

Anyone with a full time job can still practice 30 mins - 1 hour a day, and still achieve good results, you just have to manage your time right 👍.

👍

I didn't have a job last year but managing your time, doing it in smaller stints and not attempting the same lap for 5 hours on the first day will probably gain you better results.

I sure wish they would limit it to 100 starts per console, yea I know there are multiple accounts on a PS3, but otherwise the 100 starts would get exploited by users making 20 accounts. Because those who have full time jobs would be able to put in an equal effort...or more even anyway.

Jerome

My complaint would then be everyone with 3 or more PS3s would have a better shot.

If it they gives us all a week, everyone should have time to get a good lap in. One could use their day off work as "GTA day".

Tidgney already said it but it takes dedication to become the best, even an hour a day can really improve your technique. If you want it bad enough you will find the time to put the practice in. I've stepped up my physical training this year and I've done the shuttle run test at least once a week since the start of the year, that's what I call dedication.

Limiting things will not solve anything really as it will most likely make it harder for people with limited time. Approach is not to think that GT Academy Time Trial is only thing to focus on regarding gaming part.

If you were off the pace last time then it is a good idea to practice on the seasonal time trials until you are near the top and it takes less effort to get there. There is usually a year between GT Academy Time Trials so there is plenty of time to practice to get closer to your peak level. It will also benefit you at national finals too.

When it comes to actual qualifying time trial, after say two 1 hour sessions, you should be close to top and only looking for tenths rather than seconds to cement you a place in a qualifying position. It should also be in a way more easy now given a lot of the fastest people in GT are probably now ineligible. However there is still a lot of fast people probably getting old enough to participate or people who did not have time to dedicate to it in previous years making a return or people coming from other sims.

Thank you guys for all the replys. Sorry if it was a dumb question but again its just my first year and I've been training a lot lately and I'm just doing this for the experience as of now but I will continue to do gt academy in the future.

Thanks!

In Italy , last year, 4 on 6 position came from "live sessions" and the other 2 from GTA Time Trial.

GTA Time Trial, IMHO, is not a valid "tool" to demonstrate if you are strong into competition

I'm a Noob into Time Trial but the last year I come to academy National (from live session) and my results was in 5 races:

2,2,1,1,5 (the last race I was 2 but the last corner at the last lap I was centered at rear from a car , so I doesn't go to Silverstone for 1 Point)

Limiting things will not solve anything really as it will most likely make it harder for people with limited time. Approach is not to think that GT Academy Time Trial is only thing to focus on regarding gaming part.

If you were off the pace last time then it is a good idea to practice on the seasonal time trials until you are near the top and it takes less effort to get there. There is usually a year between GT Academy Time Trials so there is plenty of time to practice to get closer to your peak level. It will also benefit you at national finals too.

When it comes to actual qualifying time trial, after say two 1 hour sessions, you should be close to top and only looking for tenths rather than seconds to cement you a place in a qualifying position. It should also be in a way more easy now given a lot of the fastest people in GT are probably now ineligible. However there is still a lot of fast people probably getting old enough to participate or people who did not have time to dedicate to it in previous years making a return or people coming from other sims.

I agree with work a months worth off tt is better than a week youll reach the limit eventually so its far more likely to happen for every one after a month rather than a week.
Don't think this problem is limited to gt5 its across all amature sport nothing can be done its just life

Hostile much?

How was that hostile? It was blunt honesty coming from some one who made it to Silverstone with a full time job. In between working, working out, running (marathon training), hanging out with friends, etc I still had loads of time for GT Academy. I could see how having wife/kids things start getting really cramped, but even that has been done by past contestants.

How was that hostile? It was blunt honesty coming from some one who made it to Silverstone with a full time job. In between working, working out, running (marathon training), hanging out with friends, etc I still had loads of time for GT Academy. I could see how having wife/kids things start getting really cramped, but even that has been done by past contestants.

Hey man, just a few hours back i watched the entire GT Academy show, the six episodes on youtube. You did great. There are some things in there that are just too random, but hey, what can you do...

Having a full time job certainly makes it a bit harder, but it's not like the teenagers in school are competitors... they are not even 18.

I think good 2-3 hour sessions can do the job.

Let's see what they have in store this year.

I guess the "Find Another Excuse" part just sort've came off as an attack to me. Might have read too much into that.

Those who have full time jobs and the talent (dedication) to get to Silverstone, still get there. Find another excuse.

Sure, some do and they definitely deserve to go deep in competition. But in Brian H.'s case, he barely made the initial cut to the sweet 16. If he had a full time job, would he have been able to put in the same amount of time? Nope. Find another excuse to be rude.

I guess the "Find Another Excuse" part just sort've came off as an attack to me. Might have read too much into that.

I read it as an attack, plain and simple. I certainly didn't mean to offend those who do have full time jobs. My point was that pure odds dictate that the more time you have, the better you do.

Jerome

It's hilarious reading from people who at some point qualified to Silverstone "it's only skill". Reads exactly like a million other cases where people overestimate the role of their own contribution, and diminish the role of luck/coincidence. There are a million random things that could help or screw your chances, schedule is one of them. Denying it just makes people come out cocky. A little more humility, gents.

Of course one needs to have a level of skill required be able to pull off a good time; but given the skill is there, the success of getting those final hundreds shaved off will depend on time spent.

Of course it's not all skill, but the vast majority is. Car/track combo play a roll. Whether or not your hit that perfect glory lap can play a roll. Schedule can play a roll, but as far as schedule goes, if you're REALLY serious about getting to Finals/Silverstone you can likely make time. I didn't do the 2011 competition, so speaking only of 2012, but two weeks on the same car/track is loads of time to hit your ceiling and spend way too much time just scraping for thousandths. Full time job or not.

Let's not ignore the fact that limited runs could come back to bite you just as much as they help you. At the end of the day it's a waste of energy to worry about how much time other people have or the time they're spending running laps. If you know you're fast enough, make the time, turn the laps and just put it all out there. That's all you can do.

Hey man, just a few hours back i watched the entire GT Academy show, the six episodes on youtube. You did great. There are some things in there that are just too random, but hey, what can you do...

Having a full time job certainly makes it a bit harder, but it's not like the teenagers in school are competitors... they are not even 18.

I think good 2-3 hour sessions can do the job.

Let's see what they have in store this year.

Thanks bud! Good luck this year, goes for all. It's a tough competition and I'm sure it's only going to get closer this year.

and spend way too much time just scraping for thousandths.
Think about someone who's just about above the cut-off for the finals on pure (unobservable) skill and really swamped with work the week of qualifying and another someone who's just below him on skill and unemployed/single. I think the latter is much more likely to go the finals just by scraping for thousands near his limit. Some people here tend to say that that's just unpossible and the first guy will make it no matter what, which I find ludicrous.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against unemployed people making it, in fact I'm all for an extra break for people who lost their jobs.

I'm really looking forward to this year's GT Academy. Hope I can get the time at home to give it good go this year. Wish it was happening in June as I'm not as busy in June as July. Last year I was jumping hotel to hotel during the whole competition and trying to qualify at night after long days of work. Still got 71st. Really hoping that the GT6 demo physics are more real and you can drive more like you would in real life.

Think about someone who's just about above the cut-off for the finals on pure (unobservable) skill and really swamped with work the week of qualifying and another someone who's just below him on skill and unemployed/single. I think the latter is much more likely to go the finals just by scraping for thousands near his limit. Some people here tend to say that that's just unpossible and the first guy will make it no matter what, which I find ludicrous.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against unemployed people making it, in fact I'm all for an extra break for people who lost their jobs.

That's very true, and to be fair i was in a similar situation in the first national finals except not on the cusp, but still had a ton of work to do (Dissertation, reports) as it was my last year at University, so as you can imagine stuff like that would end up getting involved, although I did end up getting spare time to do laps everyday due to me being a student and have no restrictions on time. But in my eyes/opinion if your on the cusp I'd take a day off work. In fact I would do that this year, or any year my colleagues/friends/family all know about the competition and the passion I have to get there, so if I was on the cusp they would support me in that situation. I realise not everyone can be in that kind of environment, but it's best to let people know so that they can help you out in anyway possible so that the time you have, if limited can be maximized. But in the end if there's 2 weeks for that all important lap you should be at your peak well before the 2 weeks is up.

But luck plays it's hand a lot in these competitions and in racing in general so even with limits/no limits luck would still play its hand! The best you can do, is to do your best!! 👍.

==============================================

I gotta admit if somebody who has watched my video series about the road to GT Academy, makes it to GT Academy this year I'll be very happy for them and also willing them on at the finals 👍. So good luck everyone :)! It could be quite a fierce competition especially with the Nordic countries returning to the European one!!

I gotta admit if somebody who has watched my video series about the road to GT Academy, makes it to GT Academy this year I'll be very happy for them and also willing them on at the finals 👍. So good luck everyone :)! It could be quite a fierce competition especially with the Nordic countries returning to the European one!!

Ooh! That means we could have some flying Fins as competition! 👍 I have watched most of your videos! Need to catch up on the latest few though :guilty:

I have another 2 weeks until my next exam though so happy days! Can't wait for GT Academy!

P.S have you tried doing the shuttle run test in full race gear? Like a helmet and overalls? Only got to 8.5 haha, was hard to breath with a helmet on! :lol:

Hey guys. I have one question. Do you have to have a drivers license to apply? :P I'm 21 but it's too darn expensive to get the drivers license here in Norway. I don't have that kinda money yet. :P

Is Scandinavia included in GT academy this year? The deleted all the nordic countries from gran-turismo.com country selector.. Maybe thats a bad sign

How should i interpret this? Does only one driver from the nordic region qualify to Silverstone? Or one driver from each country?

Q. Which countries participate in GT Academy Europe?

A total of seven territories involving 16 countries will make up GT Academy Europe 2013:– UK, France, Italy, Iberia (Spain & Portugal), Benelux (Holland, Belgium & Luxemburg), Central Eastern Europe (Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia & Hungary) and Nordic Europe (Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Norway).

P.S have you tried doing the shuttle run test in full race gear? Like a helmet and overalls? Only got to 8.5 haha, was hard to breath with a helmet on! :lol:

We only did it in PT gear, not race gear. That would be brutal! :P I think I got to level 12 something, Jett got to 14's :crazy: I'd like to see where I'm at now since my 5k/10k and long runs have all improved substantially since then.

Swe
How should i interpret this? Does only one driver from the nordic region qualify to Silverstone? Or one driver from each country?

Q. Which countries participate in GT Academy Europe?

A total of seven territories involving 16 countries will make up GT Academy Europe 2013:– UK, France, Italy, Iberia (Spain & Portugal), Benelux (Holland, Belgium & Luxemburg), Central Eastern Europe (Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia & Hungary) and Nordic Europe (Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Norway).

The best way I can interpret this is similar to last year so the regional finals would look like;

UK,
France,
Italy,
Iberia (So Spain & Portugal),
Benelux (Holland, Belguim & Luxemburg),
Central Eastern Europe (Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia & Hungary),
Nordic Europe (Sweden, Finland, Denmark & Norway)

So each one from those as listed would have a regional (So Nordic 1 regional for all countries), and then however many winners from each go to the European Final :)!

I can only assume this though so don't take it as a guarentee as that's just using the written down stuff from Playstation forum and using the Benelux and Iberia ruling from last year! Hopefully though Hager mate I will see you at Silverstone :)!!

...car was very hard to drive. On the newer builds it behaves a lot better but a lot less forgiving than GT5.

That's good news to me. I really liked the 2010 GT Academy with the GT5 demo on Indy Road, that was quite hard to control. Got a good finishing position that year too, but not top 20 UK. I'm looking forward to July & having a go of the new GT6 demo, will be my second attempt at the GT Academy competition.

All the best to all who enter! :D

Back