GT Academy July 2013!!

Cb
Hi

Does any one know how long time it will take from the online qualifing end till the real life racing starts?

I need to finish my driving license, and just want to know if I can make it in time :)

The territory finals will be in August, but when nobody but the organisers know I'm afraid. They haven't revealed that date, not sure why though so there could be a twist perhaps :)??

Personally just gone to a 17.1xx now, which aint to bad... A million .3's, and .2's so thought 1 last lap before Top gear and then got that one :)! Can definitely see my 16.9xx , hopefully will be sooner rather than later :P

If the pic works here's my consistency haha :D

https://twitter.com/Tidgney/status/356475565882105856/photo/1

The territory finals will be in August, but when nobody but the organisers know I'm afraid. They haven't revealed that date, not sure why though so there could be a twist perhaps :)??

Personally just gone to a 17.1xx now, which aint to bad... A million .3's, and .2's so thought 1 last lap before Top gear and then got that one :)! Can definitely see my 16.9xx , hopefully will be sooner rather than later :P

In Sweden, the date for the national final will be 22-23 August, racing at a swedish track called Sturup Raceway.

I found the information by googling "gt academy 2013 sverige" and then got a link to the swedish nissan website :)

Thanks
Good Lap Tidgney, I am going for a sub 17 aswell 👍
I understand you have been in GT academy, do you have more chances to go?

Filip:

I think Sturup racing track is the same place for the Danes. How are you doing in The Qualifing so far?

GTP_Cbastjan

Their is a video of GT Academy Demonstrating that if you use 1080p mode you lose upto 25% of your frames at certain times, at 100mph you are doing 48.8 yards per a second. At 60fps that is 0.8 yards a frame, an at 50fps you have lost.. so ive been told.. 720i might help,

Personally i have badly sprained/broke my foot, i am gutted that i wasnt able to acheive that theoretical best lap of mid 17's but am happy that i got an 18.1 on the 6th an would have took time off that, but thats life an my first try at Academy i will improve for next year if they run it again..

Would like to wish everyone good luck.. Always believe in yourself :)

Cb
Thanks

Filip:

I think Sturup racing track is the same place for the Danes. How are you doing in The Qualifing so far?

GTP_Cbastjan
I'm currently second in Sweden with a 2:17.747 :) hager who has the 1st place, also won the live event which was held at falkenberg, that means (if the rules hasn't been changed from last year, as Tidgney said) he will qualify with the live event so I'm probably 1st in Sweden :D (at least qualify first).

Do you have the same date as we in Sweden? So we are maybe competing toghether? :)

Cb
Thanks

Filip:

GTP_Cbastjan

Cheers mate :)! Will be nice to hit the 16's so good luck hitting that also!

I have been to 2 national finals previously. National finals at the moment you can repeat however there is something in the T&C Where this may not be the case in the future;

Entrants advancing to the Territory Finals (as defined below) and beyond may not be eligible to enter any future GT Academy competition.

It's why I've put alot into this year :)! It's certainly an experience you'll remember and a very enjoyable one for the most part :).

Here's my latest time for anyone interested:

Last edited:
Nice time Tidgney! 👍

Had an interesting go at live performance today, we had a BBQ with 25 people or so round at our house. My dad thought it would be a good idea to have a go at doing a few laps with some distractions going on, I managed a 2:17.180 which I was pretty pleased with considering, will be good practice for the live races in the nationals! :)

Guys a question
with the tv setting
What you have there
I have had view on on sharp have change it now to normal is normal better? there is also low is this better?
And HD % i have 100% i must make it to 95 % or lower? its better when you make under 100%

Nice time Tidgney! 👍

Had an interesting go at live performance today, we had a BBQ with 25 people or so round at our house. My dad thought it would be a good idea to have a go at doing a few laps with some distractions going on, I managed a 2:17.180 which I was pretty pleased with considering, will be good practice for the live races in the nationals! :)

Your dad's a good man. :lol:

Guys a question
with the tv setting
What you have there
I have had view on on sharp have change it now to normal is normal better? there is also low is this better?
And HD % i have 100% i must make it to 95 % or lower? its better when you make under 100%

Both these settings have to do with your tv.
The first setting you can't really tell which is the best, you must try all 3 and stick to what's better for you, but as far as I know there isn't any huge difference.
The second one you set it to the number that you can best see the red lines match the edge of your screen. Mine is at 95%. But it's gonna get some time to get used to it since you have been using 100% the whole time

Cb
I think Sturup racing track is the same place for the Danes.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but fastest four from each Scandinavian country will qualify to regional final. If it's held in Sturup, all qualified players from Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland will travel there.

Last time (2010) this final event was held in Helsinki, and didn't include any real driving. If the place is Sturup raceway, it could mean something different this time. 👍

Cb
Hi

Does any one know how long time it will take from the online qualifing end till the real life racing starts?

I need to finish my driving license, and just want to know if I can make it in time :)

You need to get it ASAP, mate, they can check eligibility and DQ at any time under the rules (I'm sure that was in that entry thing I skimmed through, then thought "who bloody cares!?" :dopey:). I'd be expecting it around the first few days of August though, but it's better to sort eligibility quickly.

You already have a passport I'm guessing? It'd suck if you got DQ'd. :ouch:

I think i've given up. My theoretical best time is currently somewhere around 2'18.6. I've had around a dozen low 2'19s that have been red flagged, and my best clean time IIRC sits at around 2'19.6 (But that is with a really awful sector 1 and 2). I have plenty of time left to hit my theoretical best, or even get a low 2'18 or a high 2'17.

I was making fast progress. A couple of hours of play per day. I got my sector 1 times down to consistent 38.2s down from 38.9s. Then I learned that the top guys are running almost a second quicker in the first sector alone. How can I compete? The answer is I can't. I've ran out of steam.

Guys a question
with the tv setting
What you have there

You can change the settings in the Display area on your PS3 from 1080 to 720, it reduces frame ware drop.. i hope that helps you :) Their is a video of GT Academy Demonstrating that if you use 1080p mode you lose upto 25% of your frames at certain times, at 100mph you are doing 48.8 yards per a second. At 60fps that is 0.8 yards a frame, an at 50fps you have lost.. so ive been told.. 720i might help,

Guys a question
with the tv setting
What you have there

Hey Immortal.

The TV thing has come up in the past actually, brightness really is dependent on the racer though although the MS delay can have an effect on the top top times. It's similar to RTS so starcraft but essentially if you add all the input delays you could be talking 100-200 ms sometimes, or even larger for some people, now that on an RTS or player vs player sort of game has a huge impact (I've played with 400+ before it is huge). It's just the idea of seeing (as we are heavily reliant on our eyes in GT) the car twitch and then reacting can if it's delayed for an extra 100/200 ms could cause a spin or mean a longer reaction delay, as it is all reactionary :)! But this is only effective for the top top times, the rest can just be playstyle but something to thing about immortal :), as your up there fighting for thousandths :)!

The thing with FPS that was mentioned it could be worthwhile to switch your input to 720p rather than 1080 as that will stop any FPS drop and possible time loss/reaction time loss etc.

Hey Immortal.

The TV thing has come up in the past actually, brightness really is dependent on the racer though although the MS delay can have an effect on the top top times. It's similar to RTS so starcraft but essentially if you add all the input delays you could be talking 100-200 ms sometimes, or even larger for some people, now that on an RTS or player vs player sort of game has a huge impact (I've played with 400+ before it is huge). It's just the idea of seeing (as we are heavily reliant on our eyes in GT) the car twitch and then reacting can if it's delayed for an extra 100/200 ms could cause a spin or mean a longer reaction delay, as it is all reactionary :)! But this is only effective for the top top times, the rest can just be playstyle but something to thing about immortal :), as your up there fighting for thousandths :)!

The thing with FPS that was mentioned it could be worthwhile to switch your input to 720p rather than 1080 as that will stop any FPS drop and possible time loss/reaction time loss etc.

Thanks mate

ok I make it to 720p and what with sharp or normal or low? normal is ok?
And how much HD % i have 100 its better to make it to 95%?

Last edited:
Thanks mate

It depends really Immortal. Sharp will probably help with identifying brake markers a tiny bit better, or make them more accute to the peripheral vision but it may hurt your eyes after awhile. Which is where the others would come in, that one really is driver preference. I've never heard of HD % before so I would keep that at 100% I guess, especially if you've switched to 720p.

Just got 2nd position in Sweden by a 0.002 sec to third person!

Great work mate :)! I love that extra feeling myself of just beating a time :D!

I didn't improve tonight on my rest day from exercise :(! Annoyingly! I got 6 .1's though... including 2 .196's my consistency is amusing, but it's all different sectors. Just missed out on another .4 sector 1 tonight was .513, and can still see that .3 if you get village right. But that would be very very hard to pull that together, you have to either be in the zone or very consistent. Anyway might give it a rest for 2 days or so then start doing some livestreaming of time trials (I apologise if I look ruined on any of the livestreams coming up as the gym is killing me haha :P!)

I didn't improve tonight on my rest day from exercise :(! Annoyingly! I got 6 .1's though... including 2 .196's my consistency is amusing, but it's all different sectors. Just missed out on another .4 sector 1 tonight was .513, and can still see that .3 if you get village right. But that would be very very hard to pull that together, you have to either be in the zone or very consistent. Anyway might give it a rest for 2 days or so then start doing some livestreaming of time trials (I apologise if I look ruined on any of the livestreams coming up as the gym is killing me haha :P!)

Consistency helps in the finals, with the races ;) I've been struggling to improve myself so I'm taking a few days off to see if I can improve.

well after a week of beating my ghost down to stowe only to end up behind on exit I finally managed to beat my previous time.

Took .3 off at the line.. but still disappointed. I can consistently get about .6 up by the exit of copse, but at the T2 split my best was only .3 up. There is about another .3 through Stowe, Vale and Club too just cant get it on a single lap right now.

Sitting on a high 18.4 atm, should be about 17.7.

Great work btw Tidg! Your latest vid has helped me a lot :) keep it up 👍

well after a week of beating my ghost down to stowe only to end up behind on exit I finally managed to beat my previous time.

Took .3 off at the line.. but still disappointed. I can consistently get about .6 up by the exit of copse, but at the T2 split my best was only .3 up. There is about another .3 through Stowe, Vale and Club too just cant get it on a single lap right now.

Sitting on a high 18.4 atm, should be about 17.7.

Great work btw Tidg! Your latest vid has helped me a lot :) keep it up 👍

Try turn in slightly later on stowe, it doesn't punish you for it and even a wide line is still quite quick :D!!

Glad the videos are helping, I just need that 16.9xx now for me to be happy haha :P! It's there though I just need to put it together so hopefully not to long ;)!

And 1,000,000 players now have played in the academy/demo at some point (Not sure how they are working it out :D!)

Thanks mate

It doesnt really matter what your TV settings are at, your 720p Display settings on PS3 have adjusted this to help with frame rate drop so that information is easier displayed but slightly duller less sharp but the information from the game will have less fps drop, so should technically be easier to pick braking, but this is as tidgney has mentioned is only really for a guy like you who could benefit from extra thousands :) i have a game mode on tv where it increases sound an game speed displayed but at a less of quality of picture :) i think this also helps with lag as it is easier to display :)

Nice to see some familiar faces, I haven't been about here for a few years but I'm trying GT Academy again this year.

Currently just on the skirts of the UK top 20 with a 2'17.877

Back