GT Academy July 2013!!

Just wanted to say congrats to Armen. He wasn't the one we expected to win and he pulled it out when it counted. Tough luck to Patrick. The boundaries on that track were strange and inconsistent it seemed and ended up getting both of us at one point. I'm sure he will make it to finals this year. I plan on being there too. Was a good experience. GT6 is the real deal and is going to reward people who can drive way more than GT5 did. Looking forward to the time trial. Good luck to all.

I would hope Oceania (Australia & New Zealand) will get the demo, even if we don't get access to the Academy. We must be one of the top 10 markets for this game, surely important enough for just the demo.

Just wanted to say congrats to Armen. He wasn't the one we expected to win and he pulled it out when it counted. Tough luck to Patrick. The boundaries on that track were strange and inconsistent it seemed and ended up getting both of us at one point. I'm sure he will make it to finals this year. I plan on being there too. Was a good experience. GT6 is the real deal and is going to reward people who can drive way more than GT5 did. Looking forward to the time trial. Good luck to all.

Can you describe how effective trail breaking is? IMO GT5/GTA required you to basically heavily oversteer the car on corner entry. I found the amount required to be pretty exaggerated at least compared to other sims.

Does GT6 punish you for heavy trail braking or is sliding still the fastest way round?

Can you describe how effective trail breaking is? IMO GT5/GTA required you to basically heavily oversteer the car on corner entry. I found the amount required to be pretty exaggerated at least compared to other sims.

Does GT6 punish you for heavy trail braking or is sliding still the fastest way round?

To me it's as effective as in real life. On my fastest laps the car was not sliding heavily but in a 4 wheel drift just like it would be in real life. What I can say is I'm not a gamer, I'm a driver. I can't keep pace in GT5 with the really stupid fast guys but in GT6 I'm right there. Also I feel that GT6 rewards good driving lines more. I'd just say think of what would make you fast in real life and that should work from what I've experienced. GT5 annoys me now that I've driven GT6. Guess time will tell if others feel the same but so far I'm sold.

Trail braking def. helps in the corners, though I had a hard time finding the braking points and turn in points. The last run, I did a 1:04.0xx...almost a 1:03 but that last corner before the finish line effed it up for me.

Anyway it was cool meeting some fellow GTP members, especially Armen, he seemed worried he wasn't going to make it against the top 3 guys (especially since they had 1:02.2's against his 1:02.5?). I remember talking with him about racing and how difficult it is to get involved, talking about his e30 that he couldn't autox because of its history of breaking down, etc. etc.

And now he's in the semi finals!! Congrats Armen!! :D

*EDIT*

Oh yeah, I also talked to Jordan as we were both waiting to get a turn. OMG, can't believe I had a one on one chat with THE Jordan of GTPlanet!!! :D

Very nice/cool guy, works very hard to keep this site running, it was great meeting you Jordan! ;)

Last edited:
To me it's as effective as in real life. On my fastest laps the car was not sliding heavily but in a 4 wheel drift just like it would be in real life. What I can say is I'm not a gamer, I'm a driver. I can't keep pace in GT5 with the really stupid fast guys but in GT6 I'm right there. Also I feel that GT6 rewards good driving lines more. I'd just say think of what would make you fast in real life and that should work from what I've experienced. GT5 annoys me now that I've driven GT6. Guess time will tell if others feel the same but so far I'm sold.

That is what I like to hear. I always felt like I would have to drive differently in GTA compared to IRL just to get that last .5 seconds.

Whats up dudes!

So the track was the new Silverstone International layout to clear things up.

It was everyones first time racing on the track, which made it extremely difficult to be fast and cautious at the same time.

And here is the vid for the people that missed the live stream. Unfortunatly i have no clue how to embed vids here, but here is the link from my phone

http://youtu.be/oBbuJkkSYxI

Overall it was a great experience. The best part was making new friends, and seeing some old ones. And winning the whole thing was the cherry on top.

Thank you everyone for all the congrats!

Last edited:
Whats dudes!

It was everyones first time racing on the track, which made it extremely difficult to be fast and cautious at the same time.

And here is the vid for the people that missed the live stream. Unfortunatly i have no clue how to embed vids here, but here is the link from my phone

Overall it was a great experience. The best part was making new friends, and seeing some old ones. And winning the whole thing was the cherry on top.

Congrats dude!

Real Racing 3 (free to play mobile app) has the Silverstone tracks :)

Congrats on the win Armen! :D And to everyone at the event, great job. 👍

It's a shame that Stiggy didn't get it, but at least he did his best and will be ready for GTA 2013! I know he has it in him. 👍

I would hope Oceania (Australia & New Zealand) will get the demo, even if we don't get access to the Academy. We must be one of the top 10 markets for this game, surely important enough for just the demo.

Nonsense! We're more important than that! We actually have a demographic that will purchase Nissan cars now or in the future so having GT Academy in Oceania NEEDS to be part of their marketing campaign.

Whats dudes!

Holy cow!!! Good job Armen, very calm and collected throughout the whole thing. 👍

For reference the final race last year was on International in the race prepped Z's. Pretty sure they were just stock power with race diff, gutted/caged, race seats, high performance street tires etc. We were running mid 1:21's :P

For reference the final race last year was on International in the race prepped Z's. Pretty sure they were just stock power with race diff, gutted/caged, race seats, high performance street tires etc. We were running mid 1:21's :P

Queue race camp finalists going off the black stuff more often and this happening more frequently?

Whats up dudes!

Thanks for posting this link, I missed the live feed yesterday.

I have to add its quite ironic laps were getting invalidated at that outside area of the track where the Maggotts/Becketts complex joins up with the International circuit. When I was at Silverstone running that the instructors were encouraging us to use that very same out side area to the left, heading on to Hangar straight.

Thanks for posting this link, I missed the live feed yesterday.

I have to add its quite ironic laps were getting invalidated at that outside area of the track where the Maggotts/Becketts complex joins up with the International circuit. When I was at Silverstone running that the instructors were encouraging us to use that very same out side area to the left, heading on to Hangar straight.

Yea that was a strange boundary. If you watch Nicks run he goes way out on the curb on his 2nd or 3rd lap and gets no penalty and yet both Patrick and I got penalties when we were barely on the curb. Once I watched it again I saw what I think they did for the boundary. If you look at the white line behind the curb that's the boundary it seems and nick was turning to the right when he got on the curb and missed it. Me and Patrick didn't and got screwed. Wish they had just turned that off and used a judge instead.

Yea that was a strange boundary. If you watch Nicks run he goes way out on the curb on his 2nd or 3rd lap and gets no penalty and yet both Patrick and I got penalties when we were barely on the curb. Once I watched it again I saw what I think they did for the boundary. If you look at the white line behind the curb that's the boundary it seems and nick was turning to the right when he got on the curb and missed it. Me and Patrick didn't and got screwed. Wish they had just turned that off and used a judge instead.

Is this a case of how many wheels were in contact with the ground?

EDIT: I'm no expert. I have to admit. I noticed the same boundary differences in that live feed.

dsgerbc
I predict this leading to a lot of cursing during GTA TT.

No doubt. I sure hope they just invalidate the lap and let you keep going without having to restart this year. Every time having cold tires was annoying.

Real Racing 3 has the Silverstone tracks. It's a free to play game for smartphone and tablets. It runs on iOS and Android operating systems. There is a dedicated thread for it here at GTP.

Any word on if the demo will be dedicated GTA or if it will be the E3 demo which has the GTA component?

SimRaceway, which is free to play on PC, also has Silverstone. Tracks are free, cars aren't, but there aren't any Nissan models available in the game.

I heard the GT6 demo is only going to feature Nissan, so I'm guessing it's a fully dedicated GT Academy component.

SimRaceway, which is free to play on PC, also has Silverstone. Tracks are free, cars aren't, but there aren't any Nissan models available in the game.

I heard the GT6 demo is only going to feature Nissan, so I'm guessing it's a fully dedicated GT Academy component.

I just sent @GTAcademy a Tweet asking about this. This is in essence would be GT6 Prologue if they do the right thing and give us what was at E3.

I just sent @GTAcademy a Tweet asking about this. This is in essence would be GT6 Prologue if they do the right thing and give us what was at E3.

They've already confirmed it's Nissan only. Probably just 2 cars and one track like the GT5 demo was. Basically just enough to run GTA.

I do hope we get different configurations of Silverstone.

Old video?

There's some new things in there. Thanks for the tip 👍

This just reminded me of how much better Kristin Adams was as a host for the U.S. T.V. series.

They've already confirmed it's Nissan only. Probably just 2 cars and one track like the GT5 demo was. Basically just enough to run GTA.

I do hope we get different configurations of Silverstone.

They have the capacity to have more cars in the Academy demo. It would probably be more like last year when they unlocked a new car after 2 weeks - so more marketing for Nissan.

Back