GT Auto: Maintenance, Services, Repairs and Facilities

• Thread starter ak101
  • 139 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you have your opinion, but so far in THIS thread your badly outnumbered.
Dude. It's a sample size of 70 people. Come down off Cloud 9 for a second and think about how meaningless that actually is .

Here's a thread with a poll with a a far higher voting rate and an even higher skew towards one answer. Am I supposed to care that the "majority" disagrees with me when I still think they are wrong? What exactly is "look at all those people who disagree" supposed to mean to me?

And most importantly, what does "look at all the people who voted with me" have to do with your statement of how maintenance in GT6 would be fun in "The same way maintaining your car in real life can be fun"?

Last edited:
Like I said already there are 70 votes total in that thread. It's a tiny portion of GTP members, it's a miniscule portion of the whoe playerbase. Come back to me when you have 70% of 50,000 total votes at the very least.

This sort of dedication to maintenance would benifit a much smaller car user base or a specific series.

Maybe a Full on BTCC game for example.
Where by in practise you have a bump and have 2 hours in the pits to repair your car.

Colin McRae had it last gen. In between stages you could choose to repair (by clicking a button) generic category's like suspension, brakes etc.
Each choice would be equivalent to 15 mins etc.

Maybe during an enduro the pit lane could notify you to short shift your gears until your next stop due to a potential failure.

These are ideas I could run with.
However GT is, for the majority 3 to 4 lap races.
It encompasses WRC, NASCAR etc, but not nearly to the degree for a game built specifically for that discipline.

Having to generically tune up each and every car before a race would get old fast. IMHO.

Well it still shows.
That's not how polling works. 70 people voted on that poll. More than 7 million people played GT5, and more than 7 million people will likely play GT6. You can't extrapolate meaningful data from something that represents less than a hundred-thousandth of a percent on a sample size that is arguably already biased to begin with (since the fanbase of something has different opinions regarding what they like than the casual fan of something but make up a much smaller number).

Yes, it shows 30 people want advanced maintenance and 19 want extreme maintenance. GT has a playerbase of around 7 million people. It shows nothing.

That's alot of button pressing for you...time consuming.

Dude. It's a sample size of 70 people. Come down off Cloud 9 for a second and think about how meaningless that actually is.

The poll is sitting at 81% in favor of GT5 level of maintenance or higher. With more votes how much is it really going to change? In the presidential election they can give states to candidates even before 5% of the expected total is in if the early results point far enough in one direction.

Gallup polls are based on the votes of 1,000 people when full voting count will be in the tens of millions, so tens of thousands or millions arent necessary

Here's a thread with a poll with a a far higher voting rate and an even higher skew towards one answer. Am I supposed to care that the "majority" disagrees with me when I still think they are wrong? What exactly is "look at all those people who disagree" supposed to mean to me?

It means you'll just have to deal with maintenance in GT6.

And most importantly, what does "look at all the people who voted with me" have to do with your statement of how maintenance in GT6 would be fun in "The same way maintaining your car in real life can be fun"?

If you insist on splitting electrons, OK. You win. Its not fun. But boy does it help make your car feel unique and give a better feeling of ownership. That doesnt count or help the cause of maintenance?

Lets take it further. Why sell cars at all? Just make them all available to use for any race. There is actually a group of people who dont want to be bothered earning credits to unlock cars, they see it as time consuming and not fun. Lets satisfy them and remove dealerships, used car lots and the like.

Also lets ban tuning parts because since you cant install them yourself, its no fun. Wait, tuning parts are realistic and affect the performance of the car. Oh and so does maintenance.

I'm pretty certain presidential state polls aren't given after 70 votes are counted even if it's 100% one way. It's a tiny amount of people, if 50,000 people voted of course things can drastically change.

The poll is sitting at 81% in favor of GT5 level of maintenance or higher. With more votes how much is it really going to change? In the presidential election they can give states to candidates even before 5% of the expected total is in if the early results point far enough in one direction.

Gallup polls are based on the votes of 1,000 people when full voting count will be in the tens of millions, so tens of thousands or millions arent necessary

If you insist on splitting electrons, OK. You win. Its not fun. But boy does it help make your car feel unique and give a better feeling of ownership. That doesnt count or help the cause of maintenance?

Lets take it further. Why sell cars at all? Just make them all available to use for any race. There is actually a group of people who dont want to be bothered earning credits to unlock cars, they see it as time consuming and not fun. Lets satisfy them and remove dealerships, used car lots and the like.

Also lets ban tuning parts because since you cant install them yourself, its no fun. Wait, tuning parts are realistic and affect the performance of the car. Oh and so does maintenance.

Excellent :lol:

How many times have you pressed those buttons for the post?
How much time have they consumed?

Stopwatch would be handy. :lol:

Dude you're just being stupid because you lost the argument and you know it.

The poll is sitting at 81% in favor of GT5 level of maintenance or higher. With more votes how much is it really going to change?
81%. On a poll that doesn't even represent a single percentage of the people who are browsing GTP right now.

Gallup polls are based on the votes of 1,000 people, so tens of thousands or millions arent necessary
Gallup polls are generally meaningless too.

Because PD is going to come onto GTP, see how your poll shows how all of 49 people want something you want, and say "Well, I guess that tears it. Get to work on implementing this!"

I think your sense of self-importance might be a bit inflated.

Hey. Remember that part where you made a logical comparison and I showed that it doesn't make sense? Well, making more of those that also don't make sense, in addition to making arguments that actively go against your point (because Exorcet in particular has made pretty good arguments in support of the second thing you brought up) doesn't exactly help your case.

ak101

Your forgetting about loading times. Not only do you have to press extra unnecessary buttons, you would also have to waste time loading and what not.

In my opinion, there are only 2 types of people that want more maintenance options; those who don't own a car or those who own a car they don't want/like. The ones who don't like their car might want the extra satisfaction of virtual ownership. That could also go for non car owners.

Thumbs down for me, vehical maintenance is a chore and I dred dong it, IRL or a game.

Your forgetting about loading times. Not only do you have to press extra unnecessary buttons, you would also have to waste time loading and what not.

In my opinion, there are only 2 types of people that want more maintenance options; those who don't own a car or those who own a car they don't want/like. The ones who don't like their car might want the extra satisfaction of virtual ownership. That could also go for non car owners.

Thumbs down for me, vehical maintenance is a chore and I dred dong it, IRL or a game.

Your wrong I own a Subaru Impreza WRX Sti maintainig this is easy and fun.

I have'nt even started an argument and you've lost

Sure thing fella. You haven't been trying to argue that extended maintenance would be fun and worth adding to GT6 and I haven't given perfectly reasonable reasons why I disagree which you haven't been able to give a sensible and logical response to. Yeah, that definitely hasn't happened.

Your wrong I own a Subaru Impreza WRX Sti maintainig this is easy and fun.

We're going to need proof of that.

I can't think of a single way you can make maintenance on your virtual car in a video game, fun, and so far none of those in support of the idea have come up with ways to do it either. So....

Sure thing fella. You haven't been trying to argue that extended maintenance would be fun and worth adding to GT6 and I haven't given perfectly reasonable reasons why I disagree which you haven't been able to give a sensible and logical response to. Yeah, that definitely hasn't happened.

How have you installed the turbo's by touching the TV screen and changed the oil by pressing a button? Have you timed it by counting yourself?

The poll is sitting at 81% in favor of GT5 level of maintenance or higher. With more votes how much is it really going to change?
There are specific statistical formulas out there that will tell you how much it will change. But in this case, they are not needed. 70 out of 7000000 or even just 7000 basically means that the popularity of GT Auto could be less than 1%. Realistically.

As I'm one of those people who want all the stuff out of the box, I'll say that all it takes to satisfy me is all stuff out of the box. Removing the NCD, UCD, or whatever makes no difference.

On tuning vs maintenance, the point of the former isn't to install them, but to change gameplay by augmenting car performance levels. With the latter, all you can do is go to GT Auto and do it, which up to this point has just been button pressing (if there was a tuning equivalent, it would be subtracting time from your laps instead of actually making the car faster). This can be changed though, maybe in GT6 you'll open the hood and have to replace something. But then you have the issue that people just won't want to do it, and I wouldn't blame if it feels nothing like it does in real life. At this point, technology doesn't seem to allow it.

Like I usually say though, options can resolve many issues. In a lot of cases, the driver won't have to bother with this stuff anyway.

You are just being ridiculous at this point. Though to be honest, typing a forum post is more purposeful than GT Auto IMO.

How have you installed the turbo's by touching the TV screen and changed the oil by pressing a button? Have you timed it by counting yourself?

Stop asking stupid questions that have nothing to do with my points. I press a button to add a turbo because it makes my car faster when I drive it. Having a menu to perform maintenance adds nothing to my gameplay, it would just be a chore with no benefit.

Stop asking stupid questions that have nothing to do with my points. I press a button to add a turbo because it makes my car faster when I drive it. Having a menu to perform maintenance adds nothing to my gameplay, it would just be a chore with no benefit.

pressing the same button refreshes the oil which increases power. Your point will never make any sense.

I think this has gone on far too long. Move on. Sounds like all you want is The Haynes Manual: The Game! It's shocking. I've wasted far too many hours flicking between menus just to perform a stupid oil change. Now you're expecting everyone to go through more pointless menus when all people want to do is race and tune their cars. If its maintenance you want, stick to a real car in your own garage.

I really like the suggestion of having estimated power figures in the garage screen until you dyno it. A random number that took into account engine tolerances of a certain percentage gap would mean you might get a really strong example from the dealership or one that's a bit of dog until you fettle it to bring the best out of it.

ak101
Hours, is that for real?

I am for real. With around 700 cars my ps3 isn't quick. Entering an event to find I need to do an oil change could take 10-15 minutes. If GT6 is on ps3 I do not want to waste more time messing around with virtual maintainance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back