GT-R Official Record (READ FIRST POST)

• Thread starter Falango
  • 365 comments
I am using this trophy as a yardstick of my abilities thus far.

I am using a DFGT with the following settings:

• Tyres: Sports: Hard
    [*]Transmission: Manual
    [*]TCS: Off
    [*]Skid Recovery: Off
    [*]ASM: Off
    [*]Steer Assist: Off
    [*]ABS: 1
    [*]Grip Reduction: Real
    [*]Damage: Heavy
    [*]Wheel Settings: Mode: Simulation, PS: Off, FFB: 7

So far my very best lap is a 7:47:xx...I got jittery at the Tiergarten and binned it into the Armco so about 10 seconds of that is trying to right the car! Also, I had the wipers on for some reason.

Having Damage set to Heavy creates a sense of fear...namely the fear of having to restart if I crash badly.

I've also been watching videos of the official record being set and trying to learn the gears and lines.

This trophy has been the most fun I've had in GT5 so far and I feel that it's improving my abilities in general. I now know the names of most of the corners too which helps with visualising the track.

Any advice to help myself and others who want to approach the trophy in this way would be highly appreciated and also details of your own experiences would be great to hear too! 👍

Hmmm... 7:47, I'm using same settings expect force feedback 5 and i have managed to beat the time, 7:28.xx, seems pretty easy, oh by the way I'm using G25. I also removed driving line, I hope you break the record soon, Good luck!

I wonder how realistic are the ABS compared to real life.
I was having a hard time with all aids off including ABS getting a best time of 7'29.472 and just beat it with ABS set to 1 with a time of 7'28.528 by stomping on the brakes into the turn. The driving felt sloppy but it was faster. It was like ABS was this giant safety net.

Still took me many tries to get the trophy but it felt like sloppy driving was rewarded with better times

I stopped using ABS alltogether, cause it feels kinda too good, even at 1. It's working on the same principle in every car, so it just feels like another unrealistic driving aid to me..
Still haven't tried this record, but when i do i will try it with abs off. Did 7.32.xx in a Mclaren F1 last night wit everything off, but i just bought it and didn't quite mastered it yet..

Hi folks,

An update on my earlier post:

I'm down to 7:41:xx and this time I spun it at Wipperman. I find the section after the Karousel to be the hardest as you are punished severely for straying off the line. The only obstacle now seems to be staying on the track. It's disheartening to lose it whilst braking at the Tiergarten. Does anyone have advice for tackling it? I hope to post a video of my lap when I break the record and perhaps it can serve as a guide/talking point for this thread. Cheers in advance! 👍

7:33 is my best time so far, even though it didn't count for some reason. Only tried 3 laps so I can probably get the trophy if I get used to the car a bit. Was still going a bit too slow at some corners.

Hate that last part though after the long straight, pretty hard to keep that thing on the track while trying to slow down for those last few corners.

i think you definitely need skid recovery force on to do this challenge

got about 7:35:xx with SRF off (some botched corners too!)

cut this down to 7:29:xx then 7:24:xx with skid recovery force on

I had a lot of fun with this challenge. I just noticed it today and decided to try to tackle it. My first lap was filthy but I was lucky enough to keep the car on the track and came in with a 7:36:xxx. It took me about two hours of both clean and disqualified laps to finally get it down to 7:28:7xx. I made a few small mistakes, and can definitely see a ton of time that a good driver could pick up, but I have more fun driving race cars around the track so it will be a while before I come back to better my time.

Halfway through i decided to spend a couple minutes practicing the last couple corners, because I botched about three of my laps that were on pace to beat the challenge up to that point. It helped big time, and I got the trophy the next time I got to the straight cleanly.

To the guy above talking about SRF- I think if you read through the thread you'll notice that a lot of people have done this without SRF, myself included. I drove it with all aids off except abs 1. It just takes a little practice but once you get your lines down it's very doable and fun! My next challenge will be doing it with abs 0

Passed it this afternoon with a 7.26 after several attempts over a few weeks. I had a 7.31 ghost, and was getting super frustrated because several times I was up about 2 sec on it by the Karussel (and my ghost lap had an off just before the Klein-Karussel, losing a couple more secs) and then I would bin it somewhere through Pflanzgarten :banghead:.
I found the best way through Teirgarten was to brake a bit and change down 5th after the first kink, then gentle on the brakes through the second bit, then hard on the brakes after that.

AMG academy helps, helped me when i was starting to practice and then two attempts and BAM! Passed. This was Easy really.

After getting the Trophy for this challenge back in the first week of release for GT5, i decided to go back tonight and see how my progress through the game and various challenges that are run at 'ring had helped my knowledge of getting the track down..... My initial Gold Trophy time was 7'26.813....... my time tonight on lap 3 after running a couple of laps to get a feel of the GTR again was 7'23.024. All aids off ABS 1. Pretty happy with the time, but for me personally i think that there is a 7'20-21 to be had with more laps under my belt.

After getting the Trophy for this challenge back in the first week of release for GT5, i decided to go back tonight and see how my progress through the game and various challenges that are run at 'ring had helped my knowledge of getting the track down..... My initial Gold Trophy time was 7'26.813....... my time tonight on lap 3 after running a couple of laps to get a feel of the GTR again was 7'23.024. All aids off ABS 1. Pretty happy with the time, but for me personally i think that there is a 7'20-21 to be had with more laps under my belt.

Havent tried that trophy yet but what type of tires did you use for it?

I dunno how you guys are breaking this record with ony a few laps, are you using a wheel.

I was away from home for a month and got a 7:27, while staying at my frends house, back at home now and have to do this again on my PSN account. I am using a pad.

yeah baby, 7.28.890 pfeew, it was just the second time i completed a full lap 👍

Did it in just over an hour trying!

OMG i am so pleased with myself now :dopey:

Did it with a DS3 with geo triggers, abs on 3, skid recovery was on...

I recon if i turn skid rec of i can shave another 5 secs of the time

Last edited:
I don't know if it's been discussed here yet or not, but I wonder if you can use your own GTR with oil change?

I only tried it for the first time a week ago and got 7:27 on my first go, unfortunately I didn't know about the Sports tires bit and had Racing hard on. So I got the Sports tires on and thought i'd get it after 4-5 laps. Unfortunately the best I could get was a 7.41, but I think I can do it once I get my wheel and pedals. Currently using DSC

Got a 7`24 on my first try... Im not gonna bother doing it again but man that has to be one of the most fun car tire combos around!

Ahh I've just gotta find 5 seconds somewhere, I don't feel like trying again tonight but this is one fun challenge.

On my first lap, I was heading for a good time then slipped off the track momentarily at the VERY END and my time was ruled out. Even though I was slowed down by my slip.

Never mind. I carried on and on my next lap clocked in at 7:26:146 👍

Will add a picture in a minute once I import and upload...

Last edited:
Anyone think the next seasonal TT should be this? We can finally see what the fastest times in the world are. I've got 7:19.001, but I've heard over times of up to 5 seconds faster...

Anyone think the next seasonal TT should be this? We can finally see what the fastest times in the world are. I've got 7:19.001, but I've heard over times of up to 5 seconds faster...

Yes that would be great, as long as it's not a light FF car that is required. Or it'll be Kusabi world again 👎

Finally did it after many attempts, and having to go back to the AMG school to really learn the track. Got a 7.26 point something with all aids off. I'm sure I can go faster than that, but the amount of times my lap was invalidated has gotten me so annoyed I'm not likely to try it again for a while.

For those struggling there is a LOT of time to be found. To put it into perspective, a few days ago when I first tried for the trophy-the best I could do was a 7.47 and I really thought I was pushing the car. So I went back to the AMG event and took things a sector at a time-only considering a section learnt when I got or was very close to a gold time. It still took a fair few laps to put it all together and avoid the dreaded red clock but its amazing how much time you can pick up without it seeming so. The only tips I can give are to really learn the track, you can throw the car around a lot more than you think so go for it whilst being as smooth as possible. Don't be afraid to get the car sliding but for goodness sake stay off the grass! At speed you WILL lose it if you so much as touch the green stuff.

Finally did it after many attempts, and having to go back to the AMG school to really learn the track. Got a 7.26 point something with all aids off. I'm sure I can go faster than that, but the amount of times my lap was invalidated has gotten me so annoyed I'm not likely to try it again for a while.

For those struggling there is a LOT of time to be found. To put it into perspective, a few days ago when I first tried for the trophy-the best I could do was a 7.47 and I really thought I was pushing the car. So I went back to the AMG event and took things a sector at a time-only considering a section learnt when I got or was very close to a gold time. It still took a fair few laps to put it all together and avoid the dreaded red clock but its amazing how much time you can pick up without it seeming so. The only tips I can give are to really learn the track, you can throw the car around a lot more than you think so go for it whilst being as smooth as possible. Don't be afraid to get the car sliding but for goodness sake stay off the grass! At speed you WILL lose it if you so much as touch the green stuff.

That's pretty much the same as me - clocked a lap at about 7:45-ish and thought I was pushing really hard, then was on track to beat the record before my slip before finally nailing a 7:26.xxx

Even then I was out for a Sunday drive, in hindsight.

My first attempt was a 7.32.xxx, then next lap, with a huge sideways slide under braking for Aremberg got a 7.26.185. Since that done a 7.22.086. Only aids were ABS at 1, TCS at 5(doesnt really do much though, will redo with it off soon)

My first attempt was a 7.32.xxx, then next lap, with a huge sideways slide under braking for Aremberg got a 7.26.185. Since that done a 7.22.086. Only aids were ABS at 1, TCS at 5(doesnt really do much though, will redo with it off soon)

Wow 7.22 is a great time-good work. On my lap I missed a fair few apexes and hit the wall-I was lucky it didn't invalidate my time, so I know there is a faster lap in there, you must have driven near perfect for that time.

Wow 7.22 is a great time-good work. On my lap I missed a fair few apexes and hit the wall-I was lucky it didn't invalidate my time, so I know there is a faster lap in there, you must have driven near perfect for that time.
Thanks:) I still missed a few apexes on that lap, I think I could get another ~2sec. from it, but i'm quite happy with the time.

EDIT: 7.18.724... and the lap was a mess:crazy:

Last edited:
Im at a 7:28 with what was a fairly conservative lap. This is by far the best challenge in GT5. You can have your B-spec bob and Gran Turismo Anywhere, I just want to keep doing this challenge over and over.

And the old saying your fastest lap always feels like the slowest definitely applies to the Nordschleife. Being such a flowing track, you really need to find the smoothest possible line through each corner, rather than throwing the car around and losing momentum.

There's nothing more rewarding then pulling off a mistake free lap, I can only imagine how much fun KY must have had competing in the 24 hour race

This really makes me sick. I took up this challenge again after letting it rest for a month and a half. And I really don't get how people are able to finish this on their second try, or after having made mistakes, or by not pressing too hard.

I have been trying this for hours, again and again and again. I have only managed to do a couple of validated laps, when trying to not press too hard, and those laps were waay too slow. I have managed to do laps about 3-4 s over the time limit, however those were unvalidated because I accidentally cut the track in some place pushing too hard. And then I have really given it all I got, felt like I was flying through the corners, nailing almost every bend, using every millimeter of track width to fight the understeer. 90 percent of the time I never even reach the finish line because I go off the track somewhere, that's how hard I push. :scared:

I am no way a pro, and I know it should not be easy, but when you push as hard as you can time after time without getting nowhere near the target...that just makes you sad :guilty:

Back