GT Racing - GT1, GT3, Blancpain Endurance Series & National GT SeriesSports Cars 

I'm not entirely sure how much Silverstone has changed in the last seven years but there's this:

2010 FIA GT1 Young Driver AMR Qualifying results: 1:58
2017 WEC LMGTE Ford Racing Qualifying results: 1:56

Now, that could entirely be down to tire development and balance of performance, but it's safe to say that GT1, GTE and modern GT3 cars could all likely run very closely together if a light BoP was sprinkled on them and they had access to the same or similar-level of tires.

That's exactly what I was looking at when I made the original post (except I think I was looking at 2011, same lap time for GT1 though). 2010 was when the new Silverstone layout was opened, so I'd say it's pretty valid.

I would like to see a comparison of GTE/GT3 on the same tires, that would be interesting. Still think GTEs would be faster due to the extra aero, coffee table diffusers, and they're slightly lighter in weight.

That's exactly what I was looking at when I made the original post (except I think I was looking at 2011, same lap time for GT1 though). 2010 was when the new Silverstone layout was opened, so I'd say it's pretty valid.

I would like to see a comparison of GTE/GT3 on the same tires, that would be interesting. Still think GTEs would be faster due to the extra aero, coffee table diffusers, and they're slightly lighter in weight.
Yes, I think current GTE's would have an advantage, but the old regulations were almost on par with GT3 performance. Only a difference in regulation were the separating factors as far as I understood.

Looking at that GT1 picture, you can see they use they 'old' Silverstone start/finish line on the National Pits Straight while the WEC uses the International Pits Straight. That would result in a different lap time, even if it's the same length. The GTE tires are definitely better now. But back in 2008, Corvette C6.R GT1 did a record 3:47.668 in qualifying at Le Mans- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_24_Hours_of_Le_Mans#Qualifying. The Fords last year did a 3:51.185 in qualifying. So they're probably better around twistier tracks, but nowhere near as powerful.

Yes, I think current GTE's would have an advantage, but the old regulations were almost on par with GT3 performance. Only a difference in regulation were the separating factors as far as I understood.

Here are the most recent times from both classes from Monza in similar conditions.q I guess the gte's would be a little bit faster in a qualifying, and considering it is a power track, the gt3 should have a little advantage on this track. Don't know which tires are performing better...

WEC prologue 2017 fastest gte-pro: 1:47,3
Pole position Blancpain endurance 2017: 1:47,4

Tony D'Alberto joins Scott Taylor Motorsport to partner Max Twigg in the Australian Endurance Championship.

T-D-GT-640x420.png

Heads up for people in the UK, British GT from Rockingham on tomorrow from 12:30 channel 91 (on my freeview) - FRONT RUNNER.

The previous round at Outlon Park they showed the full schedule, including the VW and Mini series races, not sure what they're showing tomorrow.

Didn't realize this channel had anything like this, well chuffed to find it :D

GT Open live from Estoril

20 years ago Estoril was on the F1 calendar... It's so derelict nowadays you'd think everyone forgot it existed for the past 19 years... a few corners have weeds growing through the gravel traps. :lol:

With that said, between Blancpain, PWC, British GT, ADAC GT Masters, International GT Open and Blancpain Asia, I think I have too much GT3 racing to watch this year.

20 years ago Estoril was on the F1 calendar... It's so derelict nowadays you'd think everyone forgot it existed for the past 19 years... a few corners have weeds growing through the gravel traps. :lol:

With that said, between Blancpain, PWC, British GT, ADAC GT Masters, International GT Open and Blancpain Asia, I think I have too much GT3 racing to watch this year.

Does MotoGP still go there?

I believe they still do, but it's possible they just forgot to trim the grass for this event.

IMG_7941.JPG

I happen to catch the moment when the Ferrari of Stefan Johansson and the TRG Aston touched that sent Johansson into the guardrail heavily and taking out the innocent Cayman with him during yesterday's SprintX race.

IMG_7942.JPG

IMG_7943.JPG

IMG_7946.JPG

Last edited:
Wow great timing! I'm glad Stefan and the other's were treated infield and released.

Looks like his hood/bonnet survived as well. The rest of the front end, not so much.

I happen to catch the moment when the Ferrari of Stefan Johansson and the TRG Aston touched that sent Johansson into the guardrail heavily and taking out the innocent Cayman with him during yesterday's SprintX race.

That first shot is just phenomenal. Right place, right time*. 👍

*Not so much for that guy in the Ferrari though. That was a big impact. :scared:

Australian GT qualifying is over.

Haven't been able to catch any of the coverage today. Looking at the results on Speedcafe though, nice to see some Lambo's up there. Good qualifying for Talbot in the 911 as well.
That AMG GT looks good on screen.

Didn't the MARC M6 run a similar scheme at the Bathurst 12hr? I think it suits the AMG better. 👍

Haven't been able to catch any of the coverage today. Looking at the results on Speedcafe though, nice to see some Lambo's up there. Good qualifying for Talbot in the 911 as well.

Didn't the MARC M6 run a similar scheme at the Bathurst 12hr? I think it suits the AMG better. 👍
And to see the GT3s, in qualifying, aren't that much quicker than the VASC, in practice.

I don't know what compound the GT3 cars are running, but Giz just went .7seconds faster in practice, than Ash Walsh in qualy. Will be interesting to compare times later today.

Back