GT Racing - GT1, GT3, Blancpain Endurance Series & National GT SeriesSports Cars 

Call me a nostalgia tragic if you like but, imagine the orange replaced with a high-gloss black & the black signwriting in gold leaf.

Throw on a set of gold wheels & I'm done đź’ˇ

JPS 635csi. My absolute all time favourite racing car. :drool:đź‘Ť

087.JPG
028.JPG

Definitely missed opportunity. Love the JPS 635CSi and M3. Snapped the top pic at the AGP and bottom pic at SMP(still have the actual slick off this car, from that day).

Edit: https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/01/23/bmw-team-srm-unveils-m4-gt4/ :yuck:

Last edited:
Not my all time favourite but, anything with a JPS livery is an automatic like in my book.

I simply haven't seen a car that doesn't look good on.

View attachment 708472 View attachment 708473

Definitely missed opportunity. Love the JPS 635CSi and M3. Snapped the top pic at the AGP and bottom pic at SMP(still have the actual slick off this car, from that day).

Yeah that's :yuck: alright :odd:

View attachment 708472 View attachment 708473

But this is the real deal:
qeqXHVL.jpg

What's more is that Jim was racing the car that day.
Looks just like the Group 3 Ford Mustang in GT Sport!

This is the GT thread... Why can't we get a proper GT3 Mustang? Base it on the Shelby GT500 so it kind of makes sense, like how the GT4 platform is based on the GT350.

Why would you want the Mustang when you have the GT, an infinitely better model?

Because Ford logic. They make nonsensical motorsports decisions a lot.

It doesn't seem all that nonsensical to me. I'm guessing developing the car is expensive to begin with and these days a GT3 customer support program pretty much means providing factory drivers and other staff to teams for big races and occasionally for a whole season. Of course that's presuming you can actually sell the car and not end up like Dodge, McLaren or Nissan (jury is still out on Acura and Lexus) where they only have a few buyers if any despite winning races.

GT4 seems to be a safer bet... for now.

Why would you want the Mustang when you have the GT, an infinitely better model?

I like the Ford GT a lot. I've seen them twice in person with IMSA, they're amazing cars. I really don't think the current GT will ever be a GT3 car. The design team basically built the car with the GTE rulebook open next to them, so it's built to within a millimeter to those rules. The GT was built to compete at Le Mans, and sadly it might not have much of a life past 2019 when the program is supposed to end. Ford doesn't even have a customer program, despite the car entering its 3rd season (you'd think we'd see at least one GTEAM team with one by now if they could get one). I'm also not sure what kind of lifespan the street car will have, whereas the Mustang will be around for a lot longer.
I'd like to be wrong about this, but I don't think we'll see a new Ford GT3 with this car.
I would also agree that GT4 is a good fit for the Mustang, but I also don't think GT3 would be that far of a stretch.

Fun Ford fact: Ford almost never built the GT, and was going send a Mustang to Le Mans instead. The idea was apparently killed in 2013 when they realized it was the wrong platform for Le Mans. http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/news/a33151/ford-mustang-le-mans/

...Yes, that sort of doesn't help my case, but I'd argue GT3 is a very different animal to GTE.

With Mustang being a global market car, they should showcase a GT3 Mustang. As mentioned above, label it as a Shelby. This way, it's in the road car performance range of the GT-R/911/McLaren etc., making it a logical choice. Keep the Mustang GT as a GT4.

What about the GTE regulations keeps the Ford GT from becoming a GT3 car?

I don't know enough about the rules in either spec to know what exactly separates a GTE from a GT3 outside of a couple basic things. I do know that the current Ferrari 488 can go back and forth between GTE and GT3 specs with a few parts swapped around. So if Ford wanted to, I'm sure they could do something similar. The point I was trying to make was that I don't think Ford wants to go down that route with the current car.

What about the GTE regulations keeps the Ford GT from becoming a GT3 car?
GT3 cars have to be based on mass-produced road cars, in GTE they can say they will probably make 'some' of a car and be allowed to compete through waivers and a desperation for manufacture-backed entries.

GT3 cars have to be based on mass-produced road cars, in GTE they can say they will probably make 'some' of a car and be allowed to compete through waivers and a desperation for manufacture-backed entries.
Hence BMW's M8 GTE...debuting this year in competition even before the road car goes into production. Heck, the road car is still being developed I believe?

Back