GT Racing - GT1, GT3, Blancpain Endurance Series & National GT SeriesSports Cars 

Speedcafe have mentioned that it could be an Asian GT campaign with Craig Lowndes. Interesting to see what the announcement is and if Craig is involved. How will it effect his TV gig with Fox Sports and Supercars?

Triple 8 to contest the six round Blancpain GT World Challenge Asia series. Shane van Gisbergen, Jazeman Jaafar and Prince Jefri Ibrahim will share the AMG. (Jaafar and SVG will contest three rounds each).

AMG-GT3-front-quarter-1200x800.jpeg

Last edited:
The rule book in that series ain’t gonna know what hit it.

:lol:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/03/11/eight-car-outright-class-for-australian-gt-season-opener/

Man, where's that GT4 Mustang? As popular as it is here, Ford Australia could have sought a team to run it this year. Good opportunity for Steven Johnson.

Not very surprised to see Walkinshaw's Porsche not on the entry list. Had a feeling that they might not be there after Liam Talbot announced that he was moving to Carrera cup.

:lol:

Not very surprised to see Walkinshaw's Porsche not on the entry list. Had a feeling that they might not be there after Liam Talbot announced that he was moving to Carrera cup.
Yeah, GT3 can't match Carrera Cup here. Wonder how TCR will stack up.

For anyone wondering. It’s green at Laguna Seca... and been this way for 5 hours. Great race! Anyone able to tune in?

8B5C9482-D849-42AC-A4AD-B7BB8CA3C1C0.jpeg

I was tuning in from time to time and have not yet finished the last couple hours of what I taped.
Quite a line-up of drivers.

SRO GT2 launches at Spa with Porsche 911 GT2 RS Clubsports only (https://sportscar365.com/sro/inaugural-gt2-race-to-be-porsche-single-make-contest/) as we already know it but now we know that at Barcelona we will see other cars, too: https://sportscar365.com/sro/gt2-cars-to-compete-in-barcelona-sports-club-round/

Not sure if I understood it correctly but apparently we will see other GT2 cars presented at Spa, I wonder which ones will be there.

Also interesting to read about Porsche paying up for the Spa race and we can compare the lap time differences to the other Am GT categories (GT3, GT4 and GTE) to see where the new category fits in.

Sorry if I'm asking stupid question, no one has to explain but is there some link or website with good explanation which are exactly differences for the cars in each class.. For example in in Super GT i kind of understand GT300 and 500 classes but in other organizations for me who is kind of new to all this is very confusing.. Thanks in advance

I was entertained.

Just got around to catching up on this last night. The conditions really made for a very interesting 3 hours. Great racing all around. Solid result for Matt Campbell in his first Blancpain appearance. 👍

Sorry if I'm asking stupid question, no one has to explain but is there some link or website with good explanation which are exactly differences for the cars in each class.. For example in in Super GT I kind of understand GT300 and 500 classes but in other organizations for me who is kind of new to all this is very confusing.. Thanks in advance

If you go to Wikipedia, there's a lot of information about the different classes. Here's how i understand the GT classes;

GT3 (IMSA: GTD): originally created by SRO, production based cars, around 500-550 HP rear-wheel drive cars, they have some aero and gizmos (ABS, TC. You can see this category basically everywhere, SRO series, IMSA, some ACO-backed series, 24H Series, Super Taikyu and partially in Super GT's GT300 class. There are Pro, Pro/Am and Am entries depending on the series and there are a lot of manufacturers producing GT3s.

(LM)GTE (IMSA: GTLM): ACO's GT category, production based but more flexibility compared to GT3, e.g. the Porsche 911 GT3 R (GT3 car) has a rear engine like the production car while the 911 RSR (GTE) is mid-engined so that they can put in some additional aero. It's the manufacturers' playground in IMSA (so far, no idea how this will change in 2020 after Ford officially stop their direct engagement) but WEC has Am GTE cars, too. Significantly less cars available. The Ferrari 488 and the Aston Martin Vantage deserve extra mention as they can be converted from GT3 to GTE and vica-versa. In general, GTEs are faster than GT3s and don't have ABS (from what I gathered during this year's Rolex 24h), not sure about TC

GT4 (IMSA: GS): as far as I know, also an SRO-created category, also production-based but less changes allowed compared to GT3 and more Am focused, although you can find a lot of pros there. It also offers worldwide a lot of car variety although not all cars race everywhere. For example, I've seen the Panoz only in the US while the Alpine A110 only in France but I maybe mistaken.

GT2 (the new SRO one): again, SRO-created, Am focused, production based cars, seemingly similar concept to GT4 but with stronger cars, for instance Porsche runs the Cayman in GT4 and will run the 911 GT2 RS Clubsport in GT2.

GTC: GT cup cars like 911 GT3 Cup or Lambo Super Trofeo. These are the spec cars from the respective series, you can see them racing in some events or series outside of the one-make series. Examples would be 24H, Bathurst 12H or British GT (and most likely more but I'm too lazy to look up more for now :) )

Some series like the 24H, Trans Am and Super Taikyu have their categories named differently, let us know if you have specific questions!

EDIT:
completely forgot about GT500... they look GT but they're more spec prototypes than GTs, just like DTM. 2L I4 turbocharged engines, lot of aero. Not sure about GT500 but DTM has carbon monocoque and both series sport bodies that resemble the road cars somewhat. Big difference between GT500 and DTM is that DTM has spec tires (Hankook), GT500 has tire war (4 manufacturers if I'm not mistaken).

Last edited:
@TheHun99
Thank you so much, golden post.. I will mosk definitely ask specificqquestions if(when) I get "lost" in this research. I've always loved races and obviously cars as they are but am just now more curious about the specifics and things like that. Since I was mostly browsing on my phone about the stuff it can get little bit annoying especially when you enter this topic which is really confusing due to so many organizations and restrictions and some contradictions between sources and than you don't know where to start. Your post is extremely good base on which I can expand my understanding of this. Thank you so much once again.
Lately, everyone are using gt2 gt3 etc terms but I'm pretty sure like 70% of them don't actually understand it.
I was watching some races like that epic battle Corvette vs Porsche on Laguna Seca in GT2(I think) it's the first time I start wondering if they are GT2 than what is GT3 and GT4....

GT4 (IMSA: GS): as far as I know, also an SRO-created category, also production-based but less changes allowed compared to GT3 and more Am focused, although you can find a lot of pros there. It also offers worldwide a lot of car variety although not all cars race everywhere. For example, I've seen the Panoz only in the US while the Alpine A110 only in France but I maybe mistaken.
There were some Alpine's in the GT4 European races at Monza.

@TheHun99
Lately, everyone are using gt2 gt3 etc terms but I'm pretty sure like 70% of them don't actually understand it.
I was watching some races like that epic battle Corvette vs Porsche on Laguna Seca in GT2(I think) it's the first time I start wondering if they are GT2 than what is GT3 and GT4....

I'm glad I could help a bit! I remember having seen the Merc CLK-GTR, Panoz GT1 and 911 '98 GT1 and the Vipers and 911s as GT2. Then GT1 disappeared and due to real life I lost touch with racing somewhat, especially as European with regards to the US racing scene and how GT2 was done here. I fully understand your confusion, just recently returned to racing and racing games (was playing Wargaming titles for while and nothing much before that for a while) and it took some time to pick up where we are in terms of sports car and touring car racing. Still, stuff like Bathurst 6H suprises me every day :)

There were some Alpine's in the GT4 European races at Monza.
Thanks! I didn't have the chance to watch even a little bit from the Monza races but it's good to know.

Awfully quiet in here considering the FIA WEC 6 hours of Spa starts tomorrow...

Been at track since yesterday. Pleasantly surprised SMP isn't that far off Toyota. The snout of the Rebellion is awful to behold, and sometimes I wonder why ByKolles just don't enter LMP2 instead...

Oh, and to say that the Porsches are loud is an understatement. It's absolutely nuts!

Awfully quiet in here considering the FIA WEC 6 hours of Spa starts tomorrow...

Been at track since yesterday. Pleasantly surprised SMP isn't that far off Toyota. The snout of the Rebellion is awful to behold, and sometimes I wonder why ByKolles just don't enter LMP2 instead...

Oh, and to say that the Porsches are loud is an understatement. It's absolutely nuts!

The quiet before the storm, I guess.

PS: forgot about this thread, might be interesting for some:

Super Sebring weekend coming in 2020, March 18-21:
Friday - 1000 miles of Sebring (Fia WEC March 20)
Saturday - 12h of Sebring (IMSA March 21)

Back