GT Racing - GT1, GT3, Blancpain Endurance Series & National GT SeriesSports Cars 

Weird that this slots under GT3. Should follow rise in tier. Like having GT1 the top, GT2, GT3, GT4...

AudiGT2-1.jpg

A1812027_full.jpg

Weird that this slots under GT3. Should follow rise in tier. Like having GT1 the top, GT2, GT3, GT4...

Yeah I agree.

Yeah for that reason I don't see it being quite that popular.

I’m not sure whether I would agree. At this point altering GT3 and GT4 in names is not something that could be done. Also, GT2 having about 150hp more than GT3 means that these cars will be fast in a straight line, maybe even faster than GT3. Sure, overall pace should be below GT3 but it’s definitely a serious step up in terms of raw power compared to the also Am-focused GT4 - as such I feel that GT2 is quite fitting.

Anyway, I don’t think Porsche would have been so happy to provide a bunch of cars named GT2 for a differently named category :)

Jokes aside, I’m looking forward to the Spa 24h weekend to compare laptimes across GT2, GT3 and GT4 how the new category fits in.

EDIT: forgot about an important point: I think it will be rather popular, pretty sure there are enough rich gentleman drivers who want to race with a race car close to production but with way more power than a GT4, GT2 fits the bill nicely

Each GT category are gentleman race categories, but having your fastest GT cars, slower over a lap, doesn't seem right, logically. Plus, I thought the Porsche 911 road/track day GT2(Twin turbo?) is faster than the Porsche 911 road track/track day GT3(NA?).

I get your point but I don’t see how this category would fit in in terms of naming when GT3 and GT4 are already well-established for quite a while now.

I would also agree in general with GT categories being gentleman categories - then I remember having seen racing the CLK-GTR and the 911 GT1 ‘98 in person or just looking at for example this year’s 24h Nürburgring or 24h Spa SP9/GT3 lineups of Porsche. Sure, lot of Ams in GT3, even in GTE in WEC or ELMS but apart from the GTE/GTLM-featuring series there’s a huge works driver present in GT3 as premier tintop category (apart from prototypes).

Whether we agree on the naming or not, I would think that SRO and the prospect customers are pretty happy with the name and GT2’s relative position to the other categories. If only I would be one of those prospects :)

I get your point but I don’t see how this category would fit in in terms of naming when GT3 and GT4 are already well-established for quite a while now.

I would also agree in general with GT categories being gentleman categories - then I remember having seen racing the CLK-GTR and the 911 GT1 ‘98 in person or just looking at for example this year’s 24h Nürburgring or 24h Spa SP9/GT3 lineups of Porsche. Sure, lot of Ams in GT3, even in GTE in WEC or ELMS but apart from the GTE/GTLM-featuring series there’s a huge works driver present in GT3 as premier tintop category (apart from prototypes).

Whether we agree on the naming or not, I would think that SRO and the prospect customers are pretty happy with the name and GT2’s relative position to the other categories. If only I would be one of those prospects :)
There's no disagreement from me about the naming. It's that they DO have more power and supposedly being faster in a straightline, GT2 shouldn't be slower over a lap, due to having less downforce than GT3. SRO could lower the downforce in GT3, to make them slower than GT2. That would maybe bring GT3 back to debut GT3 level of performance. Which isn't a bad thing, in my opinion.

View attachment 834492

Already posted on the Production Car Racing thread, but I thought it deserved to be here too. A new KTM project caught testing at Imola. IMO, It appears there will be a X-Bow GT3 coming really soon.
If there is a KTM GT3 coming soon, it has to be based on one of their production models & that doesn't even come close to anything they have for sale at the moment.

The 2019 24 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps is pretty cool so far. More rain seems to be expected as the race goes along.

My first sort of introduction to the 24 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps was when played the very first "GTR: FIA GT Racing Game." Back then, we had GT cars like the Saleen S7R, Dodge Viper GTS-R, and a handful of GT3-style Porsches. The GT landscape nowadays is with GT3 type machinery. Despite this, the 24 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps is still a competitive and frenzied GT endurance.

Enjoy the 2019 24 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps! 👍

[OMISSION] During the coverage of the English-language YouTube stream of the main race, I figured I heard the voice of some fellow named Bob Varsha calling some of the race. You heard of him, right? Great hearing Bob Varsha offer his commentary for this race.

Last edited:
[OMISSION] During the coverage of the English-language YouTube stream of the main race, I figured I heard the voice of some fellow named Bob Varsha calling some of the race. You heard of him, right? Great hearing Bob Varsha offer his commentary for this race.

Varsha makes a welcome compromise to Watson.

As an update, it's about 17 hours to go at the 24 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps. Basically, it's rain and darkness on a Grand Prix type track over four miles long. I have SO much respect for these teams taking on a treacherous racing challenge like this. I absolutely respect Spa-Francorchamps- one of the finest Grand Prix motor racing circuits in the world. Nothing like sportscar racing, whether it's GT (like this race) or GT and prototypes.

On a lighthearted note, I'm loving the English language YouTube stream with Bob Varsha's witty humor and the rest of the crew! Still a long ways to go, but this is some great racing so far.

I wonder what is the longest Red Flag period in an endurance race, I woke up and saw the Red Flag then went about my day to come back over 3 and a half hours later and it's still going

I'm here at the track and outside of the FCY a couple hours into the race and then this red flag the racing has been amazing. I stayed up until about 2:00 am and the drive the 998 did from 8th to 2nd in about 20 minutes time was awesome. Anyways, the rain is really light at the moment. We should be able to get this thing in.

Back