GT Series could learn from Forza

• Thread starter vass0131
  • 188 comments
It's already not a Forza clone as it's too busy being lodged somewhere in 1998.

I laughed out loud when I read that. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

It is not that GT is stuck in 1998 that is the problem, it's the fact that it is not stuck in 1998 that is the problem.

GT1 & 2 on PS1 and GT3 on PS2 all shared the same basic principle. Freedom to play as you wanted.

Every race had qualifying, every race was either free to enter or had a licence requirement.

In exchange for passing the licence tests, you gained access to the entirety of GT mode.

It was GT4 that started the rot by locking the Endurance Hall and the Extreme Hall despite the events held within them being covered by the same licence requirements as every other race.

GT5 & 6 have simply got further and further away from the basic freedom that the earlier games had.

This series needs to go back to 1998 to rediscover what made it great in the first place.

Because absolutely nothing like that hasn't been present in past GTs, right?
Did I said the opposite? I know that in GTs there are cars that can keep up or even overtake other cars much faster cars, but I don't remember seen something that "big", I mean veyrons and mclaren p1s vs a audi TT RS? And the Audi manages to get 3rd place? This was my point, in response to some people who want Forza AI in GT, thats it...

Did I said the opposite? I know that in GTs there are cars that can keep up or even overtake other cars much faster cars, but I don't remember seen something that "big", I mean veyrons and mclaren p1s vs a audi TT RS? And the Audi manages to get 3rd place? This was my point, in response to some people who want Forza AI in GT, thats it...
What difficulty was it on, then? That plays a huge role in how fast the AI is in the game. At the highest level, the guy would have likely been left in the dust.

What difficulty was it on, then? That plays a huge role in how fast the AI is in the game. At the highest level, the guy would have likely been left in the dust.

It was probably on easy, or something similar, but if that is the case, then would be even worse if the cars were similar.
All I would ask for the AI is that if they are going to put a difficulty setting on it then change the cars on the race, example: in this particular race on easy put BMW M3s, Audis RS4, other TTs, cars with this level of performance, on medium, in medium with a slightly better AI with some better cars, like BMW M5s, GT-Rs, Mustang GT500, and more, and then on the highest level with some propper supercars/hypercars which you could only win if you have a propper car or a very well tuned one, and then I wouldn't even bother complain about it, just feels a bit unrealistic.

It was probably on easy, or something similar, but if that is the case, then would be even worse if the cars were similar.
All I would ask for the AI is that if they are going to put a difficulty setting on it then change the cars on the race, example: in this particular race on easy put BMW M3s, Audis RS4, other TTs, cars with this level of performance, on medium, in medium with a slightly better AI with some better cars, like BMW M5s, GT-Rs, Mustang GT500, and more, and then on the highest level with some propper supercars/hypercars which you could only win if you have a propper car or a very well tuned one, and then I wouldn't even bother complain about it, just feels a bit unrealistic.
That's not the way the AI system works. First off, all the AI is based on other people, so how they drive affects how quick they are. Secondly, the harder the AI, the more they are tuned to match your car. If this guy was beating supercars in a TT-RS, his car was most likely tuned at the maximum level he was allowed to or he had the difficulty turned down. Anything at a x500 rating can usually beat the AI by a large margin on the regular difficulty. If the difficulty is turned up all the way, everyone is pretty much tuned to a max. rating in their class & the drivatar AIs are going to be based on some really fast folks.

Forza marketplace was a bad thing for the community, Old forza like GTP now, People help each other with tunes. Once the marketplace was added it was go there and buy my tune, (9/10 times it was a load of :bleep:) And its locked so you can't see if it was even tuned or adjust it to suit your own driving style a little better.

Forza should learn from GT way more than the other way round.

Sounds - Yes, GT must improve sounds, but it's not like forza invented good sounds either... in fact, forza sounds are overdone, they aren't that good. Overrated.

Cars - Yes, GT should have less repeated japanese cars, but still, take a look at the GT6/FM5 cars list - GT6 wins by far and it has way more premiums alone.

Livery Editor and car customization - I agree with this, there should be more car customization, HOWEVER i don't want GT to become a Need for speed / Customization type of game when people transform good cars into ugly S**T most of times.

On the other hand Forza should learn from GT in those:

-Realistic graphics
-Realistic handling
-Tracks (number and variety)
-Weather and daytime
-Cars (number and variety)

Sounds - Yes, GT must improve sounds, but it's not like forza invented good sounds either... in fact, forza sounds are overdone, they aren't that good. Overrated.

Cars - Yes, GT should have less repeated japanese cars, but still, take a look at the GT6/FM5 cars list - GT6 wins by far and it has way more premiums alone.

Livery Editor and car customization - I agree with this, there should be more car customization, HOWEVER i don't want GT to become a Need for speed / Customization type of game when people transform good cars into ugly S**T most of times.

On the other hand Forza should learn from GT in those:

-Realistic graphics
-Realistic handling
-Tracks (number and variety)
-Weather and daytime
-Cars (number and variety)
You haven't owned a copy of FM4 or 5 so far did you?

Both should learn from each other.

I only hope they could someday team up in a big racing game project, bringing in the best of both worlds and shutting everyone on these forums up.

I only hope they could someday team up in a big racing game project, bringing in the best of both worlds and shutting everyone on these forums up.
That would be like Coca Cola and Pepsi teaming up :D

Disagree.
What do we want, an uniformed world were everything is set to certain patterns and everyone copies each other? Yuck.
You wouldn't be saying that if you did i think ;)
Saying what? I said lots of things in that post. Which ones you disagree?

@NixxxoN All I'm on about is a dream team up between T10 and PD to make THE racing game of racing games.
But this will never exist. Everyone has his own taste, some people think GT6 is the best game, some people think its another game, and maybe if the PD+T10 team united to create a game, it would be great for some people and not as good for others.

Can you say, which is the perfect car? no it isn't. Would Ferrari/Lambo/Mercedes/BMW/whatever team up together and make the perfect car? No.
Perfection doesn't exist and will never exist. And universal agreement will never exist either

But this will never exist. Everyone has his own taste, some people think GT6 is the best game, some people think its another game, and maybe if the PD+T10 team united to create a game, it would be great for some people and not as good for others.

Can you say, which is the perfect car? no it isn't. Would Ferrari/Lambo/Mercedes/BMW/whatever team up together and make the perfect car? No.
Perfection doesn't exist and will never exist. And universal agreement will never exist either
I never mentioned perfection.

PD+T10 bromance is impossible anyway, given the state of everything and that awesome stuff like this is unpossible.

But that's not what the thread is about.

Having spent a couple years with FORZA, I'm going to disagree with the rest of your post.
While engine sounds are not 100% accurate, they are enjoyable and add to the immersion of the game.
Weather/time change, could not care less and hope t10 don't bother with t if they half arse it like PD have.
Forza has for the most part had a much better car variety than GT. GT just has numbers, FM has many more cars I actually can't wait to drive.

@eSZee Half arsed how (Time/Weather)? That not every track has it?
Poor visibility, limited number of tracks.
If they implemented time change specifically for 24hr races, we have none, that's fine but why bother with accelerated time progression at all?
It's starting to feel like they just implemented it so they can say they have it just like snow/rally stages.
In conclusion, I don't care for it therefore it's crap. :dopey:(no I'm not saying you're a dope, I'm saying I am)

Poor visibility, limited number of tracks.
If they implemented time change specifically for 24hr races, we have none, that's fine but why bother with accelerated time progression at all?
It's starting to feel like they just implemented it so they can say they have it just like snow/rally stages.
In conclusion, I don't care for it therefore it's crap. :dopey:
I wouldn't say crappy, it's a neat addition to me as I get different times of day to photograph and experiment with. It's also a massive leap in terms of courses with it over GT5, with all the new courses available with it and a few older courses with it implemented. And we also got stars, which IMO was unnecesary but hell, I can't do anything about it.

Also visibility isn't much of a problem to me, maybe on Willow but I've yet to get the game but had no problems at all in GT5 with the courses that had it.

I wish in gt you could turn down the ambient sound like you could in forza, I used to turn that down along with the engine noise and other cars, that way I could hear the tyres grip points, with gt I struggle with running without abs mainly because you can't.

Leaderboards and access to tunes would benefit gt aswell.

You haven't owned a copy of FM4 or 5 so far did you?
I do. Well, not FW5, but very few here have an XBone as it is.

Honestly, I think PD learned more from teaming with Yokohama and KW Suspensions than they would another game company. While I personally, like sparkytooth, would like to transmogrify FM4-5 and GT6 together - except for Forza's bots, GT6 is really a nifty racing package. Like with Forza, I've enjoyed tooting around in low powered compacts in GT6, which is the first GT I can say that about. Now, if it just had a full blown Race Mod system for all cars, and a Livery Editor...

now that i own GT6 and Forza 5 and have played both, i can say with complete confidence, that my opinion of what GT can learn from Forza is more customizing options for upgrades and a livery editor.
GT's physics is better and graphics, to me are more realistic. Forza's cars are overly reflective, to the point where i do a matte finish on the hoods of all my cars. the refection in the hoods while i am driving in hood view is so distracting. i can't tell how much my car is rotating thru a corner. its hard to explain but there it is.
i soo wish GT would give us upgrades to the level and intricacies of Forza. i love the fact you can buy cams separate form valves and displacement separate from block work and so on.

now that i own GT6 and Forza 5 and have played both, i can say with complete confidence, that my opinion of what GT can learn from Forza is more customizing options for upgrades and a livery editor.
GT's physics is better and graphics, to me are more realistic. Forza's cars are overly reflective, to the point where i do a matte finish on the hoods of all my cars. the refection in the hoods while i am driving in hood view is so distracting. i can't tell how much my car is rotating thru a corner. its hard to explain but there it is.
i soo wish GT would give us upgrades to the level and intricacies of Forza. i love the fact you can buy cams separate form valves and displacement separate from block work and so on.

I played FM5 today for the first time. My first time playing any Forza actually. I played for three hours with a controller on Simulation, No Aides (same type settings I use for GT5/6).

I never could get the "feel" for it exactly, just as you say. Perhaps it was the digital paddles for the gas and break compared to the analog paddles of the PS3. It felt distant and as though I was not actually in control. There was no sensation of direct response. Though I was right next to the TV, I may as well have been playing from 20 feet away. The immersion just isn't there. The experience of driving is much better in GT6. I'll be playing FM5 more though, so maybe seat time will change my view on it.

The tracks look better on FM5, but they should considering the XB1 and PS3 comparison. Racing at Laguna Seca on FM5 made me sad that GT6's version isn't that good. Spa was much closer though. Perhaps FM5's version of Spa is only better because of the extra "stuff" like crowds, helicopters, etc. The lighting and shadow effects are, perhaps, a bit better on FM5, but not the giant leap forward I expect GT7 on PS4 to have.

When I first saw the Track List for FM5 I thought they should be ashamed, but they do have some significant tracks. It wasn't as dreadful as I'd imagined.

Customization and Tuning seems to be in favor of FM5, but I didn't spend a significant amount of time in those options.
I was impressed with the tuning options from what I saw though. The calculated Benchmarking adjusted with each and every change in tuning made me drool.

All of the Online features appear to be drastically in favor of FM5.

There are cars FM5 has that GT6 needs. And vice versa. Obviously GT6 wins here, even only counting the "Premium" cars.

The biggest difference between the two may well be simply the presentation. FM5 adds a lot of little touches that add up to make for a huge production. The GT series doesn't have that.

Forza could do a better job conveying the "feel" of driving in addition to adding a significant amount of content and Day/Night transitions. They actually have good "bones" to build on for a very, very good racing game, but the driving experience just isn't on par with even GT5.

GT could add a lot of the "stuff" Forza seems to have done very well...Presentation, Customization, Online features, etc...and be the greatest racing game ever.

If anything the experience hammered home that I am very excited about the possibility of GT7 on PS4.
The head to head comparisons of FM6 vs GT7 will be mind blowing. There's no limits on either with their next iteration, so they both better bring it.

Say what? It's exactly the same, they both use analogue triggers.
Really? I was under the impression the new XB1 controller was all digital. My bad.
Either way, the Right and Left Triggers for gas and brake didn't feel as true as R2 and L2 for the PS3.

I don't agree with livery editor which is that extended because I don't want to see anime drift cars everywhere..
Why not.. if you see them everywhere that means most people want one & if not
how is that gonna hurt you?! while some might paint clowns on their cars there will be others that will make replicas & realistic looking race cars which will be supercool

I have seen tons of people saying that GT6 needs the AI/Drivatars from FM5. Trust me, they may look good and seem like they actually put up a fight, but that is no where near what they actually do. Yes, they put up a fight, if you consider a fight trying to ram you off the road, spin you out, wedge you against the wall, brake and continue to brake after they have you trapped behind them, plow into the rear end of your car mid-turn, etc... The drivatars in FM5 seem to have no idea that there are other cars on track with them (some don't even realize there is a track). GT6's AI gives the impression that they know what a race is and how they are done. They at least attempt to avoid hitting you (at least for me).

And also to those of you saying you don't want a livery editor because of anime drift cars or people ruining cars, simply make your own liveries.... I've only found a few drift cars with anime characters on them (which were done fantastically). The livery editor isn't that hard to figure it out, so just make your own liveries if you are worried about people ruining cars.

Latest Posts

Back