GT Series could learn from Forza

• Thread starter vass0131
  • 188 comments
Among the first things that come to my mind concerning good things in Forza is that you can freely rotate the car in the dealership. Gives you a much better feel for the colour of the car, in GT all you can do is watch the car spin (slowly). Also, you can rotate the camera while racing and access Photo mode instantly. I'd like GT to copy these features.

Forza could do with GTs quirkyness, seems much more like a product than a labour of love.

Everyone learns sometimes :D Livery editor is not included simply because of resources . Adding custom liveries on top of car rendering is additional taxing on engine. I'd rather have some day/night transitions etc... than tons of "hello kitty" , "redbull" , "monster energy" supercars online :D Maybe PD could do some basic racing cars as they are and offers different liveries for them . Anyway , well have to wait till GT7 for that.

They went for quality over quantity.

Hahahahaah! No they didn't! They went for the option that would make them the most money.. Release half of what they intend to at launch, and then charge us for the rest (that, let's be honest, is probably already developed and just sitting waiting to be released) in DLC. It's exactly what they did with FM4 and FH, and they've done it even worse here... less than 200 cars and 13 tracks is absolutely atrocious for a racing simulator. Whether it was for 'quality' or not, it's pathetic and damn right disgusting for a developer to be allowed to release only half of it's content.

As for what the OP suggested, i agree somewhat. They could learn from things like car quality(exterior and interior), sounds(engine, tyres, collisions etc) and customisation(engine swaps, body kits, paint). However, i don't think the livery editor is a must. Forza players that own GT have been asking for that for a long time, and to be honest i think it's an okay addition to Forza but only for the people that are enthusiasts in a certain area and want to decorate their car to represent that. As far as being a racing simulator is concerned, i don't think being able to edit the livery on your car is absolutely necessary.

And DLC... Personally i think DLC should ONLY be what the developers have realised their audience wanted and responding to their requests. There should be absolutely NO pre-determined DLC. Everything should be a fresh idea that they didn't originally think of. Anything else is just a money making scheme and i don't agree with it one bit - It should've been included in the original game if they already had it planned. They're much more likely to be the nice guys if they listen to us and give us what we want, than give us something that we don't really want/need and had already planned on giving us regardless of what we thought of the original production.

all the reviews said about the problem with sound in Gt series
ok its true.
but no one said about the tracks in forza which its very different from reality.
Why i drive in nurburgring or other tracks if its different from reality.there is no point
so forza cant teach anything for GT
I think the sound in GT7 will be ok

I think a fair and balanced view would be both could learn from the other in different areas, and that competition is great for both franchises.

As an unapologetic fanboy, who's completely ignorant of Forza 5 and its improvements over Forza 4, Forza 4 didn't feel right to me once I'd played GT5, and I spent ages in EB playing Forza, a good 2-3 afternoons (friend works at one), probably ~10 hours of gameplay, it was fun, but the physics of the games don't line up for me, so once I've put myself into GT mode, Forza doesn't comply the way I want it. I'd expect the opposite would be very true for others as well.

Livery editor is not included simply because of resources . Adding custom liveries on top of car rendering is additional taxing on engine.

Not really. If the engine can handle a custom livery built by a PD developer, it can also handle a custom livery made by a user. No matter how many layers you use, the end result is a texture like any other. All we need is a system to make it ourselves.

Last edited:
What GT could learn from Forza? Well graphics, nothing... Cars, we could have some of the more desired cars (F12, E30, P1, etc). Tracks, GT has a better line-up of tracks right now.. About the AI, the Forza 5 AI, for what I saw in one vídeo, is not that good, maybe due to the difficulty, but still ridiculous when you have na Audi TT RS that can keep up with Mclaren P1, Veyrons and a bunch of other hypercars, the driver of the Audi managed to get 3rd place in a race full of P1s... The sounds in Forza are definitely better, but still far from real since the cars have the same type of sound. The livery editor, it's a nice addition but nothing too complex, a simple livery editor would be enough (some stripes, two tone option for specific cars, sponsors, etc) nothing like hello kittys and stuff like that.

I think a fair and balanced view would be both could learn from the other in different areas, and that competition is great for both franchises.

As an unapologetic fanboy, who's completely ignorant of Forza 5 and its improvements over Forza 4, Forza 4 didn't feel right to me once I'd played GT5, and I spent ages in EB playing Forza, a good 2-3 afternoons (friend works at one), probably ~10 hours of gameplay, it was fun, but the physics of the games don't line up for me, so once I've put myself into GT mode, Forza doesn't comply the way I want it. I'd expect the opposite would be very true for others as well.

It was the opposite for me. Forza 4 felt so much more realistic and right to me that i just couldn't get back into GT5 properly.

I was just talking with a friend and we agree. Both could learn a lot from each other. So we decided, that the two should come together for a cross-platform release and each do what they're best at. Even with splitting the profit 50/50, their sales would be the same as they are now because players from both platforms would be buying the one game, rather than one platform owner buying one and vice versa. It would be the best racing sim out there because it would have the quantity and variety of cars, tracks and game-modes that Gran Turismo has, with the quality, physics and customisation that Forza has. I, for one, would adore that game, and i'm sure everybody else that just wants a good and proper racing sim would love it too. If only they could be convinced :(

Horrible idea. That means they will make PS4 version of GT6 with bloom filer , lens fare. Have only 200 premiums and half the tracks. Forza5 on next gen console is not even having dynamic lighting.

Project cars on the other hand has great tracks, helmet cam. Night racing day/night, weather.

Forza is not even close to GT. But project cars is going to big by the looks of it :odd:

The fact that most of the answers in here show that the majority thinks that they dont need to "learn" anything is ridiculous. Both games can learn from each other. Just because you prefer the one, doesnt make the other insignificant. They are both great games, and they are both great at what they do.

I prefer Forza, but that does not mean that I dont like GT. For instance, I do like alot of the cars that are in GT, but I would prefer them to be all premium. If they made GT6 for the PS4, only, and premiumized everything, I would be buying that next month, instead of Xbox.

The narrow-mindedness is strong on this side of the forum.

I find that hard to believe seeing as how 90% of the games do this
I dont. multi-platform games. The differences are small at best. Yes, there are small graphical differences, but they arent that far apart.

Its not as if one looks like your actually the soldier, and the other looks like your watching cartoon network.

I dont. multi-platform games. The differences are small at best. Yes, there are small graphical differences, but they arent that far apart.

Its not as if one looks like your actually the soldier, and the other looks like your watching cartoon network.

yeah I agree with multiplatforms but I meant exclusives.
but it's the first party games that I think look cartoonish. take a look at gears of war versus uncharted for example. gow simply looks like a comic.

the things i would like to see are the expanded upgrades and engine/drivetrain swaps. it seems every new release of GT, the upgrades keep getting condensed. like now all we have is intake. in GT5 you had intake filter and manifold, separate from each other. i like in Forza how you can do head work, displacement mods and so on. i love the drivetrain swaps but would like to see them done better. in Forza the cars don't handle like they should with the swaps, I.E., larger heavier motor should create more under steer and what not. that wasn't the case most of the time. i'd like to see what PD can do with that.

yeah I agree with multiplatforms but I meant exclusives.
but it's the first party games that I think look cartoonish. take a look at gears of war versus uncharted for example. gow simply looks like a comic.
So what excuses those games from looking less cartoony? That goes with my first point. Its up to the developers how cartoony they want their games to look.

Its funny that you pick an over the top fantasy came to defend your "cartoon graphics" statement. Both consoles have their games that look fairly realistic, and both have their games that look cartoony. I never understood this arguement.

And the fact of the matter is, I can tell that its a game, no matter what console its on.

HA, like PD needs to learn ANYTHING from those baka gaijin!

Japanese devs are the best in the world because they develop games like they're trapped in a 1990s time vortex. I was a kid in the '90s, so them not learning from outside influence appeals to my sense of nostalgia and overrides whatever objective flaws are present because of their work philosophy. That's why so many Japanese developers are doing so well these days.

They know that what people really want are redundant and slow-loading menus, smooth jazz and 700 cars that nobody would ever think to own or even race. THAT'S SO QUIRKY AND JAPANESE! All other games are arcade because they give you more control over how you play and provide a more focused racing experience. Driving on the moon is so kawaii! Desu-ne. Uguu.

Kaz made GT because he has a deep and burning passion for pleasing me and people like me. He knows and likes me personally and that's why his games are better.

So what excuses those games from looking less cartoony? That goes with my first point. Its up to the developers how cartoony they want their games to look.

Its funny that you pick an over the top fantasy came to defend your "cartoon graphics" statement. Both consoles have their games that look fairly realistic, and both have their games that look cartoony. I never understood this arguement.

And the fact of the matter is, I can tell that its a game, no matter what console its on.

I chose one of the xboxs best and most popular games. I can choose Halo or any other first party game if it makes you any happier.
I'm not trying to say one is better than the other. they both look great. but xbox games look a bit more cartoony/plastic/comicy than the PS. the PS games are usually much sharper and detailed.
that's all I'm trying to say and I don't care if you agree or not

I agree 1000%. Most of the tracks if not all of them were Point to Point tracks. For it's day there was no comparison, very good memories of that game for sure. Autobahn, Shwarzwald, Pyrenees..Oh man..

There were some sweet P2P tracks there for sure, the only ones that were circuit where the 5 variants of the Monte Carlo track, the ones where you won the 550A, 935 Moby Dick and the GT1.

I played that game until I no longer had a PC that would run it without crashing and some even after it started crashing. I even loaded it up after I bought my DFGT to see what it was like with a good wheel :)

I chose one of the xboxs best and most popular games. I can choose Halo or any other first party game if it makes you any happier.
I'm not trying to say one is better than the other. they both look great. but xbox games look a bit more cartoony/plastic/comicy than the PS. the PS games are usually much sharper and detailed.
that's all I'm trying to say and I don't care if you agree or not
You seemed to have missed my point, or your just choosing to ignore it.

but @R1600Turbo is right, no need to derail this thread even more.

It is just sad that EA did not build on what they had with Porsche Unleashed. That was such a great game for its time, if only they would have stayed on that track and kept making improvements to it. I would have likely never played GT or Forza.

Of course the Auto Vista stuff looks cool but I do not care for it and think they would have been better off investing that effort in other things.

I think about that game a lot to this day. It was decades ahead of it's time. And that skidpad *dreamy* oh my! Spinning around doing 180's and 360's between cones for a 'commercial' or whatever....yes yes yes.

Jerome

Sorry, this is just tiring. Don't you realize this is pretty much the obvious stuff? Livery is cool, but it's not groundbreaking in terms of gameplay so that's not really something I think PD should be invested on atm on top of other things. Sound and A.I. are two things Kaz has said PD are working on, so can we leave this subject until we see how it turns out?

DLC packs? Please no.

I think all racing games need to learn from Forza 2. Which in the minds of many long time Xbox racers remains the best of the series.

Imagine a Gran Turismo career that had LB's for every event. Suddenly the boring dry career gets interesting as you climb the lb's and compare times with your friends. Then add in free run leaderboards for each class (or PP number) and track along with combined rollups. Also add in the local leaderboards. For the life of me I can't understand why this isn't a required feature of every racing game. As it stands now, whether it's GT or FM, if you want to keep track of your personal progression or your times in different cars you're doing what we were doing back in 1995, which is keeping track of them in a notebook. Also within these leaderboards you were given the opportunity to upload your tune for others to use if you chose to. Which led to quality tunes being available to everyone.

Beyond that, I'd love to see the tournament structure from FM2 in GT. Where you would post a qualifying time and it would bracket you in races based on your qualy time. Was always good fun. And finally, I'd like to see GT steal the Rivals mode from FM4. One of the biggest problems with the current credit system besides the outrageous car prices and MT's are the limited ways in which you can earn credits. It's basically run the arcade career overtake challenges over and over again, or venture online and deal with the random crazies just wanting to wreck everyone. In this mode you'd earn money per lap, then a big bonus if you beat your selected target. Which would usually be someone on your friends list. You could pile up a ton of money quickly in Rivals.

HA, like PD needs to learn ANYTHING from those baka gaijin!

Japanese devs are the best in the world because they develop games like they're trapped in a 1990s time vortex. I was a kid in the '90s, so them not learning from outside influence appeals to my sense of nostalgia and overrides whatever objective flaws are present because of their work philosophy. That's why so many Japanese developers are doing so well these days.

They know that what people really want are redundant and slow-loading menus, smooth jazz and 700 cars that nobody would ever think to own or even race. THAT'S SO QUIRKY AND JAPANESE! All other games are arcade because they give you more control over how you play and provide a more focused racing experience. Driving on the moon is so kawaii! Desu-ne. Uguu.

Kaz made GT because he has a deep and burning passion for pleasing me and people like me. He knows and likes me personally and that's why his games are better.

LOL @ the baka gaijin. I've had some rough things to say about T10 and Greenbucks but that's classic. I like it.

But to be fair, IMO what you like about GT is exacty what's wrong with it. It's a game with all the best current tech and physics and stuff, but the game itself seems designed for a pre-online 1990's crowd where car washes and oil changes were cool add ons. That's where those baka gaijin beat the pants off PD initially. They developed a quality semi-sim racing title based around the online experience, not as the last second tack on it seems in GT.

Back