GT Sport and the Logitech G29

• Thread starter Kris Stoney
  • 232 comments
GTS changes softlock per car, so some cars have 900 as others might have 240 or so, depending car. Same as AC changes softlock per car.
Thank you, mate. Someone mentioned it earlier I think and I was keen for verification.

900 way too much I think, I was hoping there was a dedicated buttton on the wheel to force the change of degree... tank you both!
Agreed! Being used to 180º, I s'pose I could handle up to 540 or so if cars took me there, but man, you'd need a ship's-wheel knob on the G29 in order to be able to "spin the dial" fast enough for corrections, surely? Crazy, man.

Agreed, it makes zero difference to GTS, no matter what you do.
Thank you for the confirmation, DriveSpark. I had a discussion (don't know if it was in this thread or not) about trying the Mac version of the software to adjust the DoR, and was told that whatever setting I chose would stick in GTS. This was fantastic news for me at the time, and now, reality strikes.

Huge bummer for me, but thank you so much man. Guess it's totally up to PD to implement the ability to choose a friggin' setting we like and be able to use it on any cars we like.

I enabled steering resistance on the PC and it affected the wheel on PS4. The self centering force is a lot more real world like than out of the box.
Interesting. Pity this doesn't seem to apply to the DoR setting.

If you're up to it, open the wheel up and spray the microswitches with WD40 electrical contact cleaner. Mine was dead and this fixed it.

Thinking about doing this. Will a regular WD-40 do the job?

Even better would be Caig DeOxit, a many-decades-old stalwart in the audio industry for any electrical contacts. You spray, usually with the thin, attachable tube, wait a minute and wiggle, then spray again.

Only problem is it's expensive, but a can could last you forever. I've only had to buy one, partly 'cause it works so-amazingly and problems don't return. I reckon this stuff's been used for 30 to 40 years by audio engineers and the like, where 100%-perfect contacts are critical.

That said, for "regular" contact-cleaning tasks such as this, there's nothing wrong with razu's suggestion, I'm sure.

£130 on Amazon UK right now. Just ordered on to replace my broken T300rs
I too ordered one from Amazon yesterday, added bonus that I had £60 in Amazon vouchers to use. And today I traded my trusty DFP in at CEX, whilst doing so I noticed it was originally for GT4 on PS2!

Ordered it on Thursday afternoon, and it got to my door 24 hours later. Thank you Amazon/Purolator!

It brought the game to whole new level, although I wish the game offered a bit more in terms of feel. The track feels way too smooth compared to other games like F1 2017 that i've played on a wheel on my Xbox.

My only criticism of the wheel atm is the placement of the wire for the pedals. It feels like it's in a vulnerable spot being at the very front of the pedal base, mostly because I always put the base up against something to keep it in place, I guess I just need a proper wheel stand though.

Other than that tiny detail im loving it, the wheel and pedals feel very high quality and all those buttons on the face of the wheel are really useful. I love using the dial to adjust brake balance and TC in particular.

Last edited:
So i'm having a problem with my G29, on GT Sport, on track if i was get into a slide, spin, go off track etc, the wheel will often re-calibrate it self out of alignment which will cause me to pause the game to re-calibrate the wheel again, what's more this is happening more often now and it's really frustrating, iv'e had the wheel for 11 months, never had issues with other games i played such as DriveClub, GT6 and Grid AutoSport, just GT Sport i want to say it's a bug but i'm starting to think my G29 wants to give way. Any similar problems for people?

Does Controller Steering Sensitivity have any effects on steering wheels? The description says that it adjusts the sensitivity of wireless controllers. Does it mean that I can ignore it if I'm driving with a G29?

So i'm having a problem with my G29, on GT Sport, on track if i was get into a slide, spin, go off track etc, the wheel will often re-calibrate it self out of alignment which will cause me to pause the game to re-calibrate the wheel again, what's more this is happening more often now and it's really frustrating, iv'e had the wheel for 11 months, never had issues with other games i played such as DriveClub, GT6 and Grid AutoSport, just GT Sport i want to say it's a bug but i'm starting to think my G29 wants to give way. Any similar problems for people?
If you said G27 I would say it sounds like the encoder but I thought the G29 used hall effects. Did you buy it new? If so I'd contact Logitech as it would still be under warranty.

Hi, I using my G29 and somtimes I make mistakes and spin of the track today, but no issues what your having with my G29.
Check your connection on your G29 and if it still happens, you might have a problem with your wheel.

A couple of questions to all G29 owners. Today I'm going to get my wheel and I want to be sure I'm doing everything right, so:
1. Is it plug-n-play (I mean, I plug the usb to the console, press the PS button, choose my current account, make sure the switch on the wheel is on PS4 and it will work) ?
2. Do I need to install firmware from a PC to the wheel (download it from the official site and upload it to the wheel) ?
3. Can I adjust the degree of rotation (e.g. from 900 max to 720 ?)
4. If I adjust any settings from the PC I read that they are saved on the PC, not on the wheel itself, is that right?

Thanks for the help!

A couple of questions to all G29 owners. Today I'm going to get my wheel and I want to be sure I'm doing everything right, so:
1. Is it plug-n-play (I mean, I plug the usb to the console, press the PS button, choose my current account, make sure the switch on the wheel is on PS4 and it will work) ?
2. Do I need to install firmware from a PC to the wheel (download it from the official site and upload it to the wheel) ?
4. If I adjust any settings from the PC I read that they are saved on the PC, not on the wheel itself, is that right?

Thanks for the help!
1. Just plug it in and play
2. No.
I don't know about no. 3.
4. They are only save on the PC and not on the wheel.

Use your warranty, sounds like decoder wheel is loosen/cracked, if no more warranty it can be fixed on your own also, approx 1-2 hour job (including disassembly and assembly) if doing first time. Help available from various sources, you can use helps for G27, if getting new decider wheel (which isn't necessary on most cases, clue is enough) make sure at you get correct decoder wheel, older wheel has tighter spaces on pins than newer one.
If no warranty, before breaking open decoder wheel check if it's just loosen screw on decoder wheel PCB mount on end of FFB motor: upper left screw and one screw under pcb on lower right corner (right side picture)
G27_17.jpg

Google G29 helps, you'll find similar from YT or web as this G27 guide: http://www.jlvrh.de/G27_UK.htm

Does Controller Steering Sensitivity have any effects on steering wheels? The description says that it adjusts the sensitivity of wireless controllers. Does it mean that I can ignore it if I'm driving with a G29?

Changes wheel response latency, 7= no latency, anything under gives latency/lag.

Just got a used one. The right shift paddle doesn't do anything ............. no words.
Got one from Currys around 18 months ago for £99,was open box,was ok at first then had the same problem intermittent,they changed the wheel without fuss and the new wheel has modified pin switches...

1. Just plug it in and play
2. No.
I don't know about no. 3.
4. They are only save on the PC and not on the wheel.

I disagree...

1) You can
2) Yes, make sure you are on the latest firmware - download the Logitech software and connect the wheel to your PC.
3) There is an option in the software however i am unsure if this saves on the wheel or only for PC.
4) Some options are saved to the wheel. I recommend enabling steering resistance. It gives a lot more weight to the wheel during turns.

I disagree...

1) You can
2) Yes, make sure you are on the latest firmware - download the Logitech software and connect the wheel to your PC.
3) There is an option in the software however i am unsure if this saves on the wheel or only for PC.
4) Some options are saved to the wheel. I recommend enabling steering resistance. It gives a lot more weight to the wheel during turns.
No.2 No you can not install firmware from a PC to the wheel and the play on the PS4.

No.2 No you can not install firmware from a PC to the wheel and the play on the PS4.

So you are saying if you update the firmware then you brick your wheel on the PS4??

Chances are its on the latest (mine was) but there are clearly version revisions available for the G29.

So you are saying if you update the firmware then you brick your wheel on the PS4??

Chances are its on the latest (mine was) but there are clearly version revisions available for the G29.
When I got my G29 I ask a person from Logitech, do I have to install firmware from a PC to the wheel for a PS4 and his answer was no.

G2x wheels are "dummy" peripheral devices, no brains=no actual controlling firmware inside, only "api control box". All brain is run on host device in form of "firmware driver", on PC you could update your ruining "firmware" as updating your driver. On consoles you can't do that, sony can update OS part driver "firmware" if they will, and software developers can use either way to control wheel, using OS api to wheel or direct commands to wheel, when doing direct commands to wheel it means at their software will act as firmware to wheel, which they can improve/update if they want inside their software.
G2x series physical "firmware" contains only FFB canned effects and FFB direct control api to be used from host=software on console/pc.

When I got my G29 I ask a person from Logitech, do I have to install firmware from a PC to the wheel for a PS4 and his answer was no.
Yep.

Thanks for the help!
Answer to 3 with my little test,set my rotation from 900 to 560 and also set the throttle sensitivity from 50% to 30% after the latest update 1.06 seemed to make the throttle very snappy !

Made a big difference for me turning in quicker and on part throttle gives a lower reading and more progressive,same car same track went half a second quicker within a couple of laps.

I know some feel it makes no difference on ps4 but its making a difference for me.

G2x wheels are "dummy" peripheral devices, no brains=no actual controlling firmware inside, only "api control box". All brain is run on host device in form of "firmware driver", on PC you could update your ruining "firmware" as updating your driver. On consoles you can't do that, sony can update OS part driver "firmware" if they will, and software developers can use either way to control wheel, using OS api to wheel or direct commands to wheel, when doing direct commands to wheel it means at their software will act as firmware to wheel, which they can improve/update if they want inside their software.
G2x series physical "firmware" contains only FFB canned effects and FFB direct control api to be used from host=software on console/pc.

Yep.

Well i guess i learned something new :) better go back in to my hole.

After using a DFP on and off for a few years I picked up a (PS4 friendly) G29 the other day via Amazon's Black Friday deal. I was quite pleased with the percieved build quality at first sight. Everything seems suitably robust. I'm still tweaking the settings to try and get things optimal.

As per the DFP I find the steering to be OK, it's easier to wrestle the faster cars round (I recall the RedBull X1 in GT6 up the FoS hillclimb). Though sometimes the tighter corners cause me to (literally) cross myself up. One slightly sneaky thing you could do with the DFP would be to change the steering rotation angle via a few button presses. None of that here though!

My main gripe is with the brake pedal. I definately prefer a more arcade style of control than sim style. It seems like a pregnant concrete elephant could be on the brakes and it wouldn't fully register, now I can see on the screen that's not the case, but that's what it feels like. I guess I'd prefer a bit more pedal travel between "scrub some speed" and "STOP!".

I see that Logitech's inclusion of a rubber bung/stopper is my problem, so I'm going to try removing it and replacing the spring with a GTEye one to not make it completely flappy. I don't think I'll bothered too much by the potential dead zone at the end of the pedal travel. Or if I am then I could always put things back.

Also on the list is something like a Wheelstandpro, as the ironing board is a bit big and clanky (with FFB) and the pedal box keeps trying to escape.

My only issue with this wheel is the red dial. It is very inconsistent and often leads me to breaking focus while trying to corner because I just cant get the settings to change and leads to a spin or crash. Very frustrating when it happens.

My only issue with this wheel is the red dial. It is very inconsistent and often leads me to breaking focus while trying to corner because I just cant get the settings to change and leads to a spin or crash. Very frustrating when it happens.
It doesn't work if you're adjusting steering input. To use it while cornering the steering angle must be constant. It takes a bit to get used to but it is consistent. It was annoying as hell till I read it on here somewhere.

It doesn't work if you're adjusting steering input. To use it while cornering the steering angle must be constant. It takes a bit to get used to but it is consistent. It was annoying as hell till I read it on here somewhere.
hmmmm that seems to line up with my experience. thanks for the tip, i thought it was defective. but ... why? come on PD.

I switched mine over to the directional pad. Maybe I'll switch it over to L2/L3

Latest Posts

Back