GT Sport Mode need a Penalty fix asap, please Polyphony Digital...

Should the penalty system Get a fix

• Yes

Votes: 180 87.8%
  • No

Votes: 25 12.2%

• Total voters
Wow it's very disappointing to hear that the penalty system is still severely flawed even after all these months. I haven't played the game in the past 3 months, but I was going to jump back into it. I got excited to hear how much content they've added since I last played (monza, tsukuba, new cars including the E30 M3 [finally!]) I was hoping Sports mode has been improved too, but apparently that's not the case.

The SR rating jumps seem very random. I crashed my ratings last week in pursuit of the wins trophy, and on the way down I had one race where I cut every corner I could to rack up as much penalty time possible. After the race I somehow had a blue S.

Then there are other races where I would just barely kiss a single car by accident (not even hard enough to move them) and I would get a 10-sec penalty and an SR drop of about 30 points. That's with only that single penalty. :confused:

little bit some question, How big SR penalty if cause crash and get tap then get some penalty in DR A and S? Just demoted from DR A to B cause have bad finish position to clean 3 penalty (total 15 seconds, to be precise 2 cut corner and 1 incidental crash) but I still get with white SR end of the race. Compare with kart races last night get the same thing and my SR fall from S to C (this is on DR B anyway) :confused:

little bit some question, How big SR penalty if cause crash and get tap then get some penalty in DR A and S? Just demoted from DR A to B cause have bad finish position to clean 3 penalty (total 15 seconds, to be precise 2 cut corner and 1 incidental crash) but I still get with white SR end of the race. Compare with kart races last night get the same thing and my SR fall from S to C (this is on DR B anyway) :confused:

It depends on the race. In a 14 lap daily C race you can gain about 21 points for a clean race, in a daily B only 4 or 5. So if you would get white on a daily C race, for the same incidents you could lose 17 SR points on a daily B race. I lost 25 points on Nordschleife yesterday for 3 contacts with 15 sec penalties from one person hitting me and another knocking another car into me. That's in A/S.

The kart was a daily C though. However every tiny bump counts to negative SR, also the ones that do not result in a penalty time or SR down for either player. While draft bumping on Bluemoon bay, no matter how careful, without any penalties or SR Downs, I still went down from S to C in one race.

It depends on the race. In a 14 lap daily C race you can gain about 21 points for a clean race, in a daily B only 4 or 5. So if you would get white on a daily C race, for the same incidents you could lose 17 SR points on a daily B race. I lost 25 points on Nordschleife yesterday for 3 contacts with 15 sec penalties from one person hitting me and another knocking another car into me. That's in A/S.

Thanks for the info I need this info incase back to A/S again, still not use with this asymmetrical penalty system, weirdly on A/S when I doing brakecheck to avoid slam and hit other after that I didn't get any penalty.

The kart was a daily C though. However every tiny bump counts to negative SR, also the ones that do not result in a penalty time or SR down for either player. While draft bumping on Bluemoon bay, no matter how careful, without any penalties or SR Downs, I still went down from S to C in one race.

Yesterday race bit questionable to be honest, not only on kart race but in Monza Fia cup when I go to gravel I get SR down showing. Really, somewhat I feel this thing more random time by time.

I lost 61 SR points yesterday. I made a couple of mistakes that were definitely my fault. The rest of the points were other drivers rearending me, ramming me off the road, or crashes immediately in front of me that there was no way to avoid (I can't yet bend the physics of the universe to my will.) I don't understand the victim punishing PD thinks is appropriate. In one instance a driver got mad and decided to ram like he was 10 pin bowling, why should I be penalized for that?! I'm so frustrated! This is also the SECOND time this has happened! :(

My graphs look like seismic charts for hard hitting quakes.

Sark

http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=5356496

Wow it's very disappointing to hear that the penalty system is still severely flawed even after all these months. I haven't played the game in the past 3 months, but I was going to jump back into it. I got excited to hear how much content they've added since I last played (monza, tsukuba, new cars including the E30 M3 [finally!]) I was hoping Sports mode has been improved too, but apparently that's not the case.

If you can drive and race properly then there isn't much of an issue. Penalties are harsh but drive accordingly and you won't have a problem. Drive like a muppet and suffer the consequences.

Player created clean rooms are not a viable way to grow a large scale competitive gaming environment. Player communities are inherently clandestine and exclusive. I remember the clean rooms and it usually involved a bunch of regulars who could get away with murder while calling out the new guy for every little infraction. Interpretations of the rules from room to room varied and were inconsistent with divisive views on barge passing, blocking, etc. Ultimately people splinter into cliques and people choosing to specialize on courses the online gaming environment can spread the player base thin.

In Sport mode I can pick up a race full of cars typically within less time than it would take to: hunt for a room that has more than 3 people, a room that doesn't randomly kick me, watch everyone finish the race, change tracks, and then join a race with only 2 hot laps under my belt against the host's 2 hour stint at that track. Meanwhile everyone is optimally tuned while I still have default settings because the race just started.

I'm glad you had a great time in the GT6 lobbies but it wasn't that way for all of us.

Well, from all the angst from Day1 about the Sport Mode penalties, the endless confusing changes to them with no end in sight (and no consistent progress, more one step forward, one step back type 'progress') I'd say that the price for 'large scale competitive gaming' is a game that cannot adequately emulate the rules of the sport it pretends to simulate. I don't see that as any progress whatsoever. I see Sport Mode very much as a soccer game that cannot tell if you picked the ball up and ran it in! Sure, it might LOOK like soccer, but no soccer fan would play it..!

If you had a bad time in GT6 rooms, you simply weren't looking for the right ones. No decent 'clean or kick' room ever randomly kicked. In fact, few of them even ran tuned. The emphasis was on driving and racing skills, not how many hours you put in fine-tuning the car. You saw many of the same faces that populated the SNAIL and WRS spec series, and until the PS4 came out and scavenged a fair bit of the player base while PD dragged their feet (as usual) plodding away for a couple of years before GTS was ready, I seldom saw clean or kick rooms with only a few players in them.

Perhaps you are thinking about tuner rooms? Seldom even labeled clean or kick, invariably run by someone that always raced at the front because of his hours of setup time, and with little care what went on in mid to back pack. You mean those rooms? Rooms of last resort!

Look, as I said, expecting PD to magically pull a rabbit out their 🤬 and succeed at automated stewarding when even iRacing, let alone any other game cannot is optimism of the wildest degree. PD's penalty system has sucked since the dawn of time, and always will. I'm sorry, but if you want this mythical 'large scale competitive gaming', simply give up on it being clean. It will NEVER be clean. It won't even be any good at emulating series that DID allow a fair degree of thuggery (I'm thinking old BTCC, for instance!). You either set up large scale competitive gaming yourself, do ALL the work that entails (join SNAIL, for instance) or you give up on the fantasy. Because you are all going to be complaining about PD's system for the rest of this game's lifespan. And the next. And the next.

I’ve always defended the penalty system as I feel it encourages cleaner racing, but I gotta say I’m getting really frustrated when people speculatively lunge to my inside/outside, make contact then run off the track which earns me a 2,3,4,5 or even a 10 second penalty.

Everything else can stay but this needs to be fixed as 9/10 of my penalties are earned this way, I can’t make my car disappear!

If you had a bad time in GT6 rooms, you simply weren't looking for the right ones.

Yes, I've seen you tell people this, multiple times.

I'd argue that my experience was the norm and that you happened to get in good with a niche clique of drivers. The fact that Sport mode was created, I think, validates my perspective since they wouldn't need to create such a thing if clean driving lobbies were the norm.

In general I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. I think it's important to complain and let PD know how their system falls short, so we have expanded conversations on message boards about the system's inadequacies. Taking a huge step back to look at the overall state of the genre, Sport Mode has quite literally created the cleanest driving experience on console. All of the other racing games have lobbies and look where that's gotten them. In the same position as lobbies were in GT6, a stagnant position that is ineffective and that you are proposing.

In the free market sense, nobody is stopping you from creating your supposedly easily available clean racing lobbies and usurping the player base of the "failed" sport mode. Have at it. If your solution was better, people would be opting for quick clean lobby races over Sport Mode.

Your continual proposal that PD snuff out Sport Mode is ludicrous and is falling of deaf ears. We didn't make the game and I sincerely doubt that one lonely persistent voice on GTPlanet (yours) is going to cause PD to scrap millions of dollars of development cash just so they can throw up their hands and declare, "Just use the lobbies!"

If you can drive and race properly then there isn't much of an issue. Penalties are harsh but drive accordingly and you won't have a problem. Drive like a muppet and suffer the consequences.

MR616.. you know very well that even driving correctly and not like Kormitt the Frog... just that won´t take you away forom one or another occasionally bad issue regarding unjust punishments... that is not the medicine that cures it all.. as .. there is none!! (no medicine like that) for this illness that the Penalty System is infected with... unless a new one with much more work (programming and Artificial intelligence included) in it.. and not this one that is so unfair and must of all like it was done with a very low interest in making it really work! It looks like this part of the game is something that is always at the bottom of "things to do better/improve" Poliphony GTS list...

Last edited:
It should be on the driver to avoid the accidents. I got one of these in my first race on infield last night too. Avoided it every race after that by not following directly behind the car in-front and leaving a big enough gap that I could avoid an accident.

It's tough but fair.

Sometimes there's nothing you can do. Sure, in many situations it's possible to be more careful, but that's not what racing is really about. Racing incidents happens, just like in real life, and getting penalized for a crash that you had no chance to avoid isn't a fair penalty. Of course it's gonna be hard for the system to distinguish racing accidents from punishable offenses, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.

Sometimes there's nothing you can do. Sure, in many situations it's possible to be more careful, but that's not what racing is really about. Racing incidents happens, just like in real life, and getting penalized for a crash that you had no chance to avoid isn't a fair penalty. Of course it's gonna be hard for the system to distinguish racing accidents from punishable offenses, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.

Couldn't say it better!!!!

Sport involves risk.. always! And a calculated one.. but without risking a bit... you´ll never be a winner...

I wouldn’t mind retaining the current penalty system if you could deplete the penalty by coasting into corners as could be done at launch. Sure, that leaves the game open to unscrupulous drivers taking advantage. But to me that’s preferable to forcing clean drivers, given unjust penalties, to virtually stop. Not only ruining their race, but potentially others.

So instead of a penalty, you'd rather have your race ended by damage/contact? Racing is about being careful. One mistake and your race can be over. To much gung ho, not adapting brake points for driving in traffic, "I'm faster" and other people are to blame type racing.

I do think the system they have is simple and cannot fully detect blame and even if it could, it would still be subjective. Just look at the Marc Marquez incidents in recent MotoGP. Nobody can agree where to draw the line.

Nobody seems to blame the driver who causes the issues. Everybody blames the penalty system. If ALL the drivers at high rank could actually drive and race properly, leaving room and treating everybody with respect, penalties would not be as much as a problem.

PD are to blame, but they are to blame for thinking the community would actually play this like a proper racing game.

Watch my video. Close competitive racing racing with respect. No stupid late direction changes. No squeezing the line of others. How is it some drivers can race like this with next to no problem, yet others are constantly having issues?

So instead of a penalty, you'd rather have your race ended by damage/contact? Racing is about being careful. One mistake and your race can be over. To much gung ho, not adapting brake points for driving in traffic, "I'm faster" and other people are to blame type racing.

I just so happen to have driven Gocarts for 10 years at a high level, so i know a thing or two about risk taking, and the consequences that said risks can have. But no matter how you look at it, that's part of racing. I always drive as cleanly and fairly as i possibly can, and i get plenty of close and fair racing. Most of the time however, it's ruined by ridiculous penalties, either for me or my opponent, at the slightest bit of contact. Racing incidents happen, and as i mentioned in my previous post, i can understand why the system struggles to distinguish. What really grinds my gears is getting penalties even at the slightest bit of contact, when neither driver was affected nor at fault.

Bottom line the penalty system is in a pretty 🤬 state atm, you can preach at people to race clean all day on here but we cannot control what other players are doing. The fact that it punishes innocent players so harshly, especially if they are a higher rank shows how flawed this system is. It's literally a no brainer, I can't believe people even defend it in it's current state. :banghead:

Bottom line the penalty system is in a pretty 🤬 state atm, you can preach at people to race clean all day on here but we cannot control what other players are doing. The fact that it punishes innocent players so harshly, especially if they are a higher rank shows how flawed this system is. It's literally a no brainer, I can't believe people even defend it in it's current state. :banghead:

Once you allow slight contact, people will be back to driving pre 1.15. Gentle nudges sending people off line. Gentle bumps to tactically make room and minor rubs to force people off track.

There is x1 common denominator here. People, and their behaviour towards others on track. It's peoples behaviour that has brought this harsher system into play in the first place.

Once you allow slight contact, people will be back to driving pre 1.15. Gentle nudges sending people off line. Gentle bumps to tactically make room and minor rubs to force people off track.

There is x1 common denominator here. People, and their behaviour towards others on track. It's peoples behaviour that has brought this harsher system into play in the first place.

This post is just hyperbole. The racing was better pre 1.15 without these overly harsh penalties.

This post is just hyperbole. The racing was better pre 1.15 without these overly harsh penalties.

Disagree. People would save up SR until the final lap to punt you off deliberately for starters. It was OK at launch because people didn't understand how the system worked. When they did work it out, it was being gamed by many.

PD must have had data relating to driver behaviour, were appalled by what they saw so they threw the book at us. I can race fine with these penalties in place. Yes, sometimes I may get a penalty that isn't my fault, but **** happens in racing sometimes. Accidents do happen, but not as an overtaking tactic which was rife pre 1.15.

Even with these harsh penalties in place, people still drive to close and to aggressive and still use their own brake markers when following traffic. Why if you know how harsh the penalties are? Again, point the finger at all these "fast" drivers who cannot race accordingly.

I watched BSB at the weekend and listened to Shakey tell the interviewer he couldn't run his own pace, or hit his own marks while following the leader at the time. You have to adapt to the person/car you are following, and there are far to many in GTS who simply don't or won't drive like that.

I do think the system they have is simple and cannot fully detect blame and even if it could, it would still be subjective. Just look at the Marc Marquez incidents in recent MotoGP. Nobody can agree where to draw the line.

Nobody seems to blame the driver who causes the issues. Everybody blames the penalty system. If ALL the drivers at high rank could actually drive and race properly, leaving room and treating everybody with respect, penalties would not be as much as a problem.

PD are to blame, but they are to blame for thinking the community would actually play this like a proper racing game.

Watch my video. Close competitive racing racing with respect. No stupid late direction changes. No squeezing the line of others. How is it some drivers can race like this with next to no problem, yet others are constantly having issues?

"If ALL the drivers at high rank could actually drive and race properly, leaving room and treating everybody with respect, penalties would not be as much as a problem." -Mr616

"If.. I had a million bucks.. I´d be rich and happy!!" - Mirror_man

Both quotes have almost the same chance of happening... but the last one. .a little bit more, believe me!!!!

Let´s talk serious...

Most of High Rank drivers and many of a bit lower rank... DONT HAVE NO RESPECT AT ALL FOR ANYTHING ELSE THEN THEMSELVES AND THEIR BELLY BUTTON...

MORE ..

MUST OF THEM DON´T EVEN KNOW THE MEANING OF THE WORD "RESPECT" (NOT EVEN SELF RESPECT)...

And most of them don´even have a minimum idea of what must be the correct behavior of a driver in a real or virtual race...

That is the 1st and main issue... (or issues...)

GIVEN THIS...

It´s not with a crappy an basic system like this, that leads EVERYBODY to feel that the one that does´nt care at all about the other racers, and correctly behavior.. and that instead uses every trick (that this crappy system allows him to use in his benefit), is the one who profits the most from it, contrarily to the one that does all that must be done and still risks and is competitive (like in a real race) with care enough for the others, who is prejudiced all the way!!! Even if he gets no penalization them to achieve that, he must reduce himself to a lame bastard that is afraid that even if some one hits (or someone´s shadow simply touches him, or breaths upon him..) because of that he may be penalized!!!!

How is it possible that a slight bump gliding through a corner, off the gas and they hit the breaks in the apex. I get 10 point SR drop. Then in a penalty free race and move up 3 spots I get 1. That’s right positive 1 SR points how is that even close to being correct. PD better get this thing fixed. It’s nit even fun anymore

I say make it more strict lol (just joking), but there is room for tweaking. Take this from last night, it was a risky move but i'm shocked there wasn't a penalty here. This type of push was REALLY common prior to 1.15 and I haven't seen it for a while.

I say make it more strict lol (just joking), but there is room for tweaking. Take this from last night, it was a risky move but i'm shocked there wasn't a penalty here. This type of push was REALLY common prior to 1.15 and I haven't seen it for a while.

Samething already happened to me on that spot... and 2 curves ahead of that one... also... same race.. different ofenders..

Ooof... sry that sucks

Yeah its totally possible to lose 45 SR in a single race. I had three collisions in a 4 lap race once with a DR D fellow and lost 45 pts in a single race. Thats 15 points per collision on average. IF your high DR just avoid Low DR drivers at all cost, its not wortht he position sometimes, just wait for them to run off track or something.

He probably got the penalty, just didn't show. I still see that happen, and usually I get a penalty when getting pushed like that. Or maybe it was a B/S driver?

Anyway, I don't do risky moves anymore. I was behind a Veyron for an entire race on the infield last night. The 86 can't build enough speed to stay ahead on the straight without another car to draft and the Veyron driver was intent on blocking me through the infield, happy to be in 8th place instead of working to catch up and move up the field. So patiently running a full second behind my pace for 14 laps, oh well.

The trouble comes when a less patient driver behind you thinks he can do better and starts sticking noses in the wrong places when you lift of the gas to avoid the blocker. Luckily they ran themselves into the grass before hitting me.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back