GT Sport Reviews

• Thread starter zzz_pt
  • 578 comments
you only asking open door questions "is the glass half empty or is the glass half full" you don't know what I understand by drawing your own conclusions. I suggest you reform your question and make it more specific based from my responses.
No I'm not.

I'm presenting the facts as they currently stand and asking you questions about them. Questions that are quite clear.

For the standard version of GTS the verified purchaser reviews are as follows:

Filtering the amazon.co.uk reviews into verified only ones we get 23 positive ones and 61 negative ones, with 3 in the middle.

Doing the same on .com sees 43 positive, 140 negative and 8 in the middle.

In the UK the negatives outweigh the positives by a factor of almost 3:1 and the US its around 3.5:1

Now please explain how you come to the conclusion that these are fishy?

As much as I'm thoroughly enjoying the game and think highly of it, Sony/Polyphony would be stupid not to consider some of the negative feedback.

I understand and appreciate what they're trying to achieve with this game, but as with anything, people generally don't take kindly to sudden or dramatic change. Polyphony should have eased people in, by offering a more traditional career mode, but still introducing all these new elements, especially around sportsmanship and eSports racing.

Given they already have so much of it in place, would it really have been so hard to just put together a career mode that is essentially just a collection of races from the content already present?

Hopefully they make a mends through free updates and DLC.
It's almost inconceivable that PD didn't do as you suggest. More cars, tracks and a fuller better Campaign Mode would make for a top class game.

Than you will have no problem answering my 'straw grasping' question.
Racist validate anything whether it's based on anything or not, it's blind hate. That's why it doesn't fit. It doesn't fit because we can't quantify what is or isn't true to them, it has no baring here. We know Kaz is not entirely truthful, there isn't two ways about it, it's straightforward, and we've seen the backing to show that.

Can they fix the physics as well please, at the very least for the rally and FWD cars.

I'd rather see them drop rally altogether to be honest.

Racist validate anything whether it's based on anything or not, it's blind hate. That's why it doesn't fit. It doesn't fit because we can't quantify what is or isn't true to them, it has no baring here. We know Kaz is not entirely truthful, there isn't two ways about it, it's straightforward, and we've seen the backing to show that.

I do not understand the logic in calling someone racist without any evidence, isn't accusing/targeting people something like this against the AUP @Scaff ?

No I'm not.

I'm presenting the facts as they currently stand and asking you questions about them. Questions that are quite clear.

For the standard version of GTS the verified purchaser reviews are as follows:

Filtering the amazon.co.uk reviews into verified only ones we get 23 positive ones and 61 negative ones, with 3 in the middle.

Doing the same on .com sees 43 positive, 140 negative and 8 in the middle.

In the UK the negatives outweigh the positives by a factor of almost 3:1 and the US its around 3.5:1

Now please explain how you come to the conclusion that these are fishy?

And here you go again you are pressing hard on drawing your own conclusion. Please, don't expect me to answer things you tacked onto my comment. However it seem that you are playing the numbers game with the reviews on amazon. what does those numbers equate to you?

Oh I'm sure that racist people have all kinds of sceintific proof and facts to support their beliefs, same as religious fanatics and such, do not be fooled.
True to them...now that is essential and I'm glad you said it.

Oh I'm sure that racist people have all kinds of sceintific proof and facts to support their beliefs, same as religious fanatics and such, do not be fooled.
Maybe they do, maybe they don't the funny thing is that you think I was agreeing with you :lol: It's still very much disagreeing with you and you are very much still grasping at straws. Regardless of which, it has literally no relevance to the discussion, because we know what happened pertaining to the actual discussion we're having. Kaz wasn't truthful, so there is fact behind the statement and the opinion you made.

And here you go again you are pressing hard on drawing your own conclusion. Please, don't expect me to answer things you tacked onto my comment. However it seem that you are playing the numbers game with the reviews on amazon. what does those numbers equate to you?
Nope, you don't get to answer a question with a question.

When the subject of Amazon reviews came up you said:

"So everyone lined up one by one on amazon to fall off a bridge. something fishy is going on down there.."

Given that the verified reviews show a clear bias towards negative over positive (which they do - that not interpenetration, its fact), why is it fishy?

Its a simple question that you have refused to answer, despite me clarifying and re-phrasing it.

Now if we look at all reviews (verified and non-verified) for both we get:

.co.uk 56 positive to 134 critical

.com 58 positive to 208 critical

In other words not a great difference in ratios, as such the trend across both is consistent.

So what exactly is fishy?

If we're going by PS4 reviews, Project Cars 2 is also sitting on 2.5/5 and Assetto Corsa is on 3/5.
Yep and given the issues both also had at launch I would say they are fair.

Which has nothing to do with the point in discussion.

Its not a valid analogy, its a straw man argument.

As such get back on topic please.

I understand and appreciate what they're trying to achieve with this game, but as with anything, people generally don't take kindly to sudden or dramatic change. Polyphony should have eased people in, by offering a more traditional career mode, but still introducing all these new elements, especially around sportsmanship and eSports racing.

The weird thing is that the game isn't entirely consistent in the "preparing players for courteous online racing" stakes. Campaign Mode is all training for it, sure, but it's still teaching people that winning is what matters. Case in point: so may of the missions offer gold to first place and only that.

I'm not entirely sure how to implement it, but tests where passing cleanly, or indeed having to go off-track to avoid a huge wreck, could provide an interesting alternative. How to race in close quarters would be a good one too; I've seen far too many people online stick to the racing line even when someone is beside them, and then get angry when there's contact. What'd you expect?!

Given they already have so much of it in place, would it really have been so hard to just put together a career mode that is essentially just a collection of races from the content already present?

Admittedly, the rags-to-riches career of past games wouldn't really work; there's only a handful of cars that would qualify, and you'd quickly end up in one-makes or nearly so before heading into Gr.4/3/1/B.

But, a PCARS2-style career could work. The class structure practically demands it, and that's actually a good thing: there wouldn't be any "ringers". I find it very strange that there's not a single bit of points-style championships in this game: every race is a one-off.

Plus, even though the Campaign is so much smaller than what's come before, there's still plenty of chase-the-rabbit events.

Can they fix the physics as well please, at the very least for the rally and FWD cars.

My biggest bones to pick right now are the MX-5 and 911 GT3 RS. The Mazda is ridiculously unruly without aids, and I refuse to believe, based on the dozens of reviews I've read of the car, that it's so prone to oversteer in the real world. Meanwhile, if the GT3 RS were as unsettled in reality as it is in Sport, I'm sure I would've been maimed earlier this month!

"So everyone lined up one by one on amazon to fall off a bridge. something fishy is going on down there.."

Given that the verified reviews show a clear bias towards negative over positive (which they do - that not interpenetration, its fact), why is it fishy?

Its a simple question that you have refused to answer, despite me clarifying and re-phrasing it.

In other words not a great difference in ratios, as such the trend across both is consistent.

Just a hypothetical @CopperySinger would the reverse results also be fishy?

If we're going by PS4 reviews, Project Cars 2 is also sitting on 2.5/5 and Assetto Corsa is on 3/5.
And when you look at the way some behaved towards those games at release it's quite astonishing that they seemed to have flipped 180 at the release of GTS even though it's getting a similar review score from Amazon.

So when Kaz says NOTHING is missing he's somehow being optimistic?

He has said nothing is missing? Well thats not true if he has made that claim..

And that potential is?

What is it doing that others are not or have failed at?

You havent noticed the whole matchmaking system? Most of the reviews agree its a new brilliant system for good quality, easy, accessible online racing.

Being optimistic doesn't give you a pass on being honest or accurate.

If one gives truthful comment based on the knowlege he has at that moment it doesn't make it less honest or accurate if something doesn't fulfill that comment later. It just shows bad judgement.

So you're saying that in a game that is marketed towards eSports, in an age in which virtually all games are played online to some degree, people will buy GTS and not see the online potential?

Not stating that as a fact. Im just suggesting people might not find the value of that feature right away as they are looking for something else.

What were the issues with Assetto Corsa? I purchased at launch and had an awesome time with it. Most realistic physics on console and far more realistic in that respect compared to Project Cars and Forza imo.

My biggest bones to pick right now are the MX-5 and 911 GT3 RS. The Mazda is ridiculously unruly without aids, and I refuse to believe, based on the dozens of reviews I've read of the car, that it's so prone to oversteer in the real world. Meanwhile, if the GT3 RS were as unsettled in reality as it is in Sport, I'm sure I would've been maimed earlier this month!
Based on personal experience the Focus ST, GT86 and Type R can all be added onto that list as well.

Based on personal experience the Focus ST, GT86 and Type R can all be added onto that list as well.
Type R is just all kinds of weird. I used to own a Civic and tested the Type R a few times when thinking of an upgrade. The car in game has no resemblance to it's real life counterpart. I don't understand how the game got released with the car in the state it is. Was it driveable in game at Copper Box and if so what was it like then?

When talking about how unruly cars are in the game, do you drive the real thing with TCS off? Because I've driven a lot of performance vehicles and switching to their subsequent sports modes with TCS off is always unruly in real life. Sometimes extremely unruly (eg M3/M4). In-fact, most times I try to avoid TCS off altogether, unless I'm on a track and have lots of space around me.

Also, presumably the people complaining about this are using a wheel?

Not only would nothing be missing, but GTS would have more of everything than any past GT title.

You havent noticed the whole matchmaking system? Most of the reviews agree its a new brilliant system for good quality, easy, accessible online racing.
I agree that its a system that all racing titles should adopt, but I don't agree that currently it provides good quality racing.

It gets you into a race (very slowly in my opinion - you spend more time waiting for the race to start than taking part in it), but the SR and DR system is currently so open to abuse that I can't agree that it then provides good quality racing.

What were the issues with Assetto Corsa? I purchased at launch and had an awesome time with it. Most realistic physics on console and far more realistic in that respect compared to Project Cars and Forza imo.
The AI difficultly was screwed to the point of being utterly unbalanced, Thrustmaster shifters didn't work unless you plugged them into the PS4, the AI was poor to the extreme and would drive you off the road (on a straight), the graphics would stutter and had massive screen tearing issues during gameplay and the entire package was unpolished and unfriendly (it was actually possible to fail an event by leaving the race after you were back in the pits but before the race had ended as it didn't actually let you know when the race ended).

As a pure sim it was first class, however as a game it was bloody awful, hence its unofficial nickname of the 'Chris Harris Hotlap Simulator'.

At launch AC on the PS4 was a mess.

I'm not entirely sure how to implement it, but tests where passing cleanly, or indeed having to go off-track to avoid a huge wreck, could provide an interesting alternative. How to race in close quarters would be a good one too; I've seen far too many people online stick to the racing line even when someone is beside them, and then get angry when there's contact. What'd you expect?!

Great idea. Also a test that requires one to leave room for another car in a curve to stay clear of collisions.

When talking about how unruly cars are in the game, do you drive the real thing with TCS off? Because I've driven a lot of performance vehicles and switching to their subsequent sports modes with TCS off is always unruly in real life. Sometimes extremely unruly (eg M3/M4). In-fact, most times I try to avoid TCS off altogether, unless I'm on a track and have lots of space around me.

TC doesn't solve the issues either, as the tyre model issues kick it in unrealitically early.

Take a GT86 around a track with the TC set to 1 and drive like you are going to the shops, 30 mph max in 4th gear, gentle steering inputs, part throttle. You will notice that the TC is still going off all the time, even with the most gentle of throttle application.

I've driven one down a wet b-road in a spirited manner and the TC was utterly unbothered.

@Scaff might have driven one or two...

"Gran Turismo Sport is actually going to contain more features than any other game in the series to date. Nothing has been dropped, things have only been added. Whether it be the campaign mode, or the offline gameplay, or the open lobbies, everything has been raised in quality and there is more of it, so there is nothing to worry about. Nothing has been dropped."
Source: https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-pre-e3-2017-interview-gt-sport-features-game-series/

Seems pretty conclusive to me!

Which has nothing to do with the point in discussion.

Its not a valid analogy, its a straw man argument.

As such get back on topic please.

Nope. I never did answer your question. And I will Not because your question is based off your contradiction.

You seem to have so many questions, but you don't have any answers to these numbers your constantly juggling with.

Type R is just all kinds of weird. I used to own a Civic and tested the Type R a few times when thinking of an upgrade. The car in game has no resemblance to it's real life counterpart. I don't understand how the game got released with the car in the state it is. Was it driveable in game at Copper Box and if so what was it like then?
The physics at the Copper Box were far, far better that either the closed beta, the demo or the launch game.

Honestly the MX-5 at the Copper Box was stunning (I didn't try the Type R that I can recall), predictable, easy to balance and communicative. I spent nearly an hour at the end of the event driving one around the 'ring and it was a joy.

This is part of the reason why I am so disappointed in GTS from a physics point of view, they had a much better take on this a year ago and for waht ever reason abandoned it!

TC doesn't solve the issues either, as the tyre model issues kick it in unrealitically early.

Take a GT86 around a track with the TC set to 1 and drive like you are going to the shops, 30 mph max in 4th gear, gentle steering inputs, part throttle. You will notice that the TC is still going off all the time, even with the most gentle of throttle application.

I've driven one down a wet b-road in a spirited manner and the TC was utterly unbothered.

There is no modular or graded TCS option in that car in real life though, nor in the Type R, M3, or my current car (new XFS). Eg you don't get 5 different TCS options, it's either on or off. Though in some cars (eg M3) the dynamic or Sports+ modes do have pseudo TCS.

Point is, TCS set to 1 in GTS might not be a reflection of what TCS on in those cars is actually like in real life. For all we know it could be TCS 5 in GTS that more accurately replicates TCS on in the real thing.

There is no modular or graded TCS option in that car in real life though, nor in the Type R, M3, or my current car (new XFS). TCS set to 1 in GTS might not be a reflection of what TCS on in those cars is actually like in real life. For all we know it could be TCS 5 in GTS that more accurately replicates TCS on in the real thing.
So you would expect TC to kick in when driving at 30mph around a gentle corner with minimal throttle input?

Back