GT Sport to not feature single player 'career' events/races?

• Thread starter Samus
  • 637 comments

How would you feel if there was no traditional single player 'career' in GT Sport?

• Not happy and I won't buy a GT game without one

Votes: 199 43.7%
  • Not happy but i'll still buy a GT game without one

Votes: 181 39.8%
  • I don't mind, if one is there I'll play it but prefer online

Votes: 50 11.0%
  • I don't care at all, I don't want/need a single player career, will play online

Votes: 25 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It would do the game a disservice if PD overlooked that. If we can(as PD have) convert a Gr.N car to a Gr.N200/400, the same should apply to converting a Gr.N to Gr.B.

It would do the game a disservice if PD overlooked that. If we can(as PD have) convert a Gr.N car to a Gr.N200/400, the same should apply to converting a Gr.N to Gr.B.
I'm just hoping that vehicles can be converted to different specs in the same way you applied Race Mods in GT5...

I'm just hoping that vehicles can be converted to different specs in the same way you applied Race Mods in GT5...
Doubt it. I'd slap my bets on that the different groups/specs are different cars you can buy, with no purchaseable tuning parts whatsoever. :(

Iam still peed off that Sony can allow sale of racing wheels at such high prices yet have only a handful of games to use them on. Not to mention forcing players to play online if they want certain games. I thought it was about the customers needs and wants, not what's easiest for them to make or program. As an avid console gamer from the days of master system and snes, it disgusts me how the gaming industry has turned to cater for themselves instead of the people who made the industry as large as it is today. I understand online play is the way of the future but at least give people the option on how they want to play. At this rate in the next few years, if you don't want to play online, you won't be able to play any games like wtf is that?

Seems others have mentioned it already but what if the offline 'career' is like a monthly seasonal event consisting of a few races making up the 'championship'?

No it's not the normal career mode we're used to but it'd keep things somewhat fresh and if done right they could probably have 'championships' running all year long with a new race every month or so with other small events to keep people occupied.

The fact there's credits and a dealership suggests there's something more than earning peanuts off quasi license test events and doing the odd online race.

Seems others have mentioned it already but what if the offline 'career' is like a monthly seasonal event consisting of a few races making up the 'championship'?

No it's not the normal career mode we're used to but it'd keep things somewhat fresh and if done right they could probably have 'championships' running all year long with a new race every month or so with other small events to keep people occupied.

The fact there's credits and a dealership suggests there's something more than earning peanuts off quasi license test events and doing the odd online race.
Can't wait to see how offline pans out. They better try and make something out of it, if they don't want to alienate the majority of their existing user base.

Online play only caters to a minority of people.

Sorry didn't realise opinions that you liked were allowed. Why even comment if you don't agree and want to be so spiteful about it? Geez can't figure people like you out hey. If you want to be told how to play a game and what you like that's fine but it may surprise you, not every one is the same. That's why companies get this idea, because they know people will do it. Obviously not a g29 owner otherwise you would feel the same. They also have total control over how you play the game. Can't play when servers are down, can't play if you have a storm and Internet playing up, I can't see how just having online games can benifit everyone, I really can't. I like to play at my own pace and not play a dictatorship. If I choose to go online that's fine but give me the option, if people want to interact with others so badly, meet a mate at a coffee shop. Reason why after ten years I stopped playing NFS because they knew what I wanted from a game more so than myself.

Last edited:
Iam still peed off that Sony can allow sale of racing wheels at such high prices yet have only a handful of games to use them on.

Sony can't tell peripheral manufacturers what they can and can't make so not sure what you're on about there. Maybe I'm just stupid as I was on X360 with a quite expensive Fanatec CSRE setup and got burned by M$ with the change to a new system and making all the old stuff obsolete but to me it's more a case of the peripheral mfgers taking the chance vs Sony saying "hey guys this is what you can and can't make".

Not to mention forcing players to play online if they want certain games. I thought it was about the customers needs and wants, not what's easiest for them to make or program.

Going by the success of certain online only or online focused games (Destiny) you seem to be in the minority in this complaint. Businesses will make whatever they think people want and what they think will be a successful product not cater to every whim of the consumer. Considering there isn't a gun to your head to buy what is put out it's their risk and if they find a way to do something easier you can bet your ass they'll do it. Easy = quick and time is money.

As an avid console gamer from the days of master system and snes, it disgusts me how the gaming industry has turned to cater for themselves instead of the people who made the industry as large as it is today. I understand online play is the way of the future but at least give people the option on how they want to play. At this rate in the next few years, if you don't want to play online, you won't be able to play any games like wtf is that?

They've always made whatever they want to make (Kaz having control over GT should be clear proof it's his own ego project) and they've never really focused on the consumer to any high degree.

And the option on how you want to play is you chosing to buy the game or not based on what that game offers. As far as games go imo there will always be games with heavy offline components, an online only GTA would go against what the series has to offer and the vision of it's creators.

tl;dr gaming companies do what they want and it's up to you as the consumer to spend your money as best you see fit.

Sony have to endorse the product to use on there system so to some degree they will have a say in what they product will be stated at.

You on your 360 would've had a heck of a lot of decent racing games to play though am I right? Because I've still got a 360 and the selection of wheel supported games is immense.

Back onto online though, you are right that consumers have a say on wether they buy it or not but when your a racing fan and one of the biggest titles ever is apparently online only and there's only a handful of racing games available for consoles ATM, is a kick in the guts and that's the point Iam trying to make. You can't have limited selection and expect people to fork out hundreds of dollars on wheels and rig setups simply because they have an interest, that's simply unfair and wrong. Yeah I know it's not about what's right or wrong but its people's attitude that have allowed companies to do this and they feed of this so called lazy attitude and run it like a regime. When it's put into context and put up against something you do everyday, would you like to be told what to do? Not many would but that's the way it is. That's why my brother left ea after seven years as a games developer as it's not about the artist or creativity anymore, it's about getting everything done half a$$ed, getting it out there, fixing it with more bugged and rushed patches and then charging people for more content. Could you imagine back in the day if people playing mega drives and super nintendos had to pay extra for more content on a game they already purchased? They would've flipped. The industry wouldn't be so big today if they didn't cater for vast majority of gamers like they did back then. Even if it wasn't what you liked, the vast options of alternatives compared to today was outstanding so you were satisfied one way or another. I know licensing today has a lot to do with it but they have that stitched up to so your forced into this stand over regime if you want to play and it goes against everything this industry had when it started. Back then companies made games for the love of making games and not for the love of money. This is so easily seen by how many bugs and issues today's games have with the technology available compared to say 20 odd years ago when on scale, the tech available was much less the same.

Last edited:
Sony have to endorse the product to use on there system so to some degree they will have a say in what they product will be stated at.

You on your 360 would've had a heck of a lot of decent racing games to play though am I right? Because I've still got a 360 and the selection of wheel supported games is immense.

Back onto online though, you are right that consumers have a say on wether they buy it or not but when your a racing fan and one of the biggest titles ever is apparently online only and there's only a handful of racing games available for consoles ATM, is a kick in the guts and that's the point Iam trying to make. You can't have limited selection and expect people to fork out hundreds of dollars on wheels and rig setups simply because they have an interest, that's simply unfair and wrong. Yeah I know it's not about what's right or wrong but its people's attitude that have allowed companies to do this and they feed of this so called lazy attitude and run it like a regime. When it's put into context and put up against something you do everyday, would you like to be told what to do? Not many would but that's the way it is. That's why my brother left ea after seven years as a games developer as it's not about the artist or creativity anymore, it's about getting everything done half a$$ed, getting it out there, fixing it with more bugged and rushed patches and then charging people for more content. Could you imagine back in the day if people playing mega drives and super nintendos had to pay extra for more content on a game they already purchased? They would've flipped. The industry wouldn't be so big today if they didn't cater for vast majority of gamers like they did back then. Even if it wasn't what you liked, the vast options of alternatives compared to today was outstanding so you were satisfied one way or another. I know licensing today has a lot to do with it but they have that stitched up to so your forced into this stand over regime if you want to play and it goes against everything this industry had when it started. Back then companies made games for the love of making games and not for the love of money. This is so easily seen by how many bugs and issues today's games have with the technology available compared to say 20 odd years ago when on scale, the tech available was much less the same.
I bought my motorcycle 15 years ago. Runs beautifully. Towards the end of my first season I open up some catalogues and end up putting on some new pipes. Next year some chrome covers for my headlights and some leather saddlebags. Next year a large travel bag for the back shelf behind the passenger seat and some highway pegs. I was then able to do things with it I didn't do before, like take long road trips, or pack stuff for the beach or an overnighter or two. Did I get ripped off on my original bike purchase? All I know is, I liked my bike a lot more and more as I added more and more to it and it gave me more enjoyment. No one forced me to buy the upgrades, but they were avaiable, I liked them, and the price was agreeable. DLC is no different.

I bought my motorcycle 15 years ago. Runs beautifully. Towards the end of my first season I open up some catalogues and end up putting on some new pipes. Next year some chrome covers for my headlights and some leather saddlebags. Next year a large travel bag for the back shelf behind the passenger seat and some highway pegs. I was then able to do things with it I didn't do before, like take long road trips, or pack stuff for the beach or an overnighter or two. Did I get ripped off on my original bike purchase? All I know is, I liked my bike a lot more and more as I added more and more to it and it gave me more enjoyment. No one forced me to buy the upgrades, but they were avaiable, I liked them, and the price was agreeable. DLC is no different.
It's also because people can download so easily nowadays, back in the megadrive/ SNES days people didn't even have internet. So it's a bit of a natural progression of the industry; if the option is there to reach your whole userbase and modify or add to your base game, why wouldn't you?

But he has a point that the downside of that is that you can also deliver a half arsed game and fix it afterwards for the quick bucks. That happens all to frequently nowadays.

T'is what it is.

Mate how has that got anything to do with what I mentioned? From the creation of the motor vehicle there has always been after market modifications, we're talking consoles games here, it's chalk and cheese. Least modifications to your bike won't stop you from using it unless you get it done and it was a choice you made, some games you don't get that choice, you MUST update to resume playing and if you brought previous dlc it means buying more to continue. I can't see how people are happy to pay like $100 for a game but in some cases having to spend another few $100 to get the complete package which you should be entitled to in the first place, could you imagine a game with a shelf price of $500? You would go "bah as if" but in theory that's what your doing. Could you imagine paying the same price for your bike 15 years ago only for a set of rims or a seat? And having to buy the extra neccesities it should come with? You wouldn't have brought the bike guaranteed. So go on, on ya bike mate since it's completely justified since your being ripped of in instalments. See what I mean? No logic when put into context and thought about it with common sense.

Last edited:
Mate how has that got anything to do with what I mentioned? From the creation of the motor vehicle there has always been after market modifications, we're talking consoles games here, it's chalk and cheese. Least modifications to your bike won't stop you from using it unless you get it done like in some cases with dlc it does.

Where are these examples of games being literally unplayable without DLC? I'd be very curious to know.

When I walk into a BMW dealership, I can choose to buy a 328i or a 340i. How do you suppose the salesman will respond if I demand all the extras from the latter be given to me, free of charge, when I purchase the former?

Comparing the current landscape to the one from 25 years ago is chalk and cheese.

Back then companies made games for the love of making games and not for the love of money.

:rolleyes:

You serious? Iam talking about bug fixes the lot. It's just going over everyone's head because they don't want to see it. What if you brought a 340i in the past and came with all the extras and now you have to pay for something you didn't have to before? Is this to justify the fact that you have realised the amount you spend and should be spending is rediculous? So you would buy a game of the shelf price was $500? That's the point Iam trying to make, I don't know how much more obvious I can make it. If people want to spend more money and download more stuff that should be up to them, but not force people to or force people to play online. There only catering for half of the gaming community and forcing the other to play this way if they want to play it. In a better word you could call it a form of discrimination because people prefer to play offline. Basically saying you want to play, play our way or not at all, is that how we want games to be? The people taking our money telling us how to play and what we want? I know some games are online only but it's becoming more frequent and where I live I can't get nbn ATM so how is that fair? What move house just to enjoy gaming? Cmon man surely you can see that point of it? It's getting kind of rediculous. They brought this online gaming demand out to early, at least allow people to get stable internet before forcing this regime of game play. Wouldn't surprise me if some big companies are in with Internet suppliers to push this next level of gaming, makes sense, everyone gets a piece of the pie then. All Iam saying is to give people the option, instead of spending all this money on ways to force people to play there way, they could use it to benifit a more vast audience by trying to cater for the offline player, but they won't because if they can force you to play online, chances are they can force you to spend more on dlc. Mate as for your rolling eyes emoji, just look at a game like sonic the hedgehog from back in the day, that's has hardly any bugs compared to games we see today and the reason for that is better coding by less lazy developers and the reason for that is because they wanted to make the game as enjoyable as possible and don't have the ability to rely on patches so it had to be done right the first time. How hard is that for people to see or understand? Blows my mind of the ignorance of some simply because they don't agree.

Last edited:
Paragraphs. They're called paragraphs.

You serious? Iam talking about bug fixes the lot.

No you're not:

"Least modifications to your bike won't stop you from using it unless you get it done like in some cases with dlc it does."

What if you brought a 340i in the past and came with all the extras and now you have to pay for something you didn't have to before?

That's not what you've been suggesting. That analogy is akin to a game like GT5 launching with all its post-release content included... and then being repackaged a year or two later at the same price, with all of that content cut out and sold separately.

Where has this happened in the game industry? I'm still waiting on a list from my previous post.

So you would buy a game of the shelf price was $500? That's the point Iam trying to make, I don't know how much more obvious I can make it.

You're trying to make a non-existent point? I've never said I'd spend that amount of money on a game.

If people want to spend more money and download more stuff that should be up to them, but not force people to or force people to play online. There only catering for half of the gaming community and forcing the other to play this way if they want to play it. In a better word you could call it a form of discrimination because people prefer to play offline. Basically saying you want to play, play our way or not at all, is that how we want games to be?

It's their product, they can design it however they want. That's what a free market is all about. Gamers can (and do) vote with their wallet. Some online-only games have failed in the market (NFS certainly seems to have, judging by the discounts). WoW most certainly hasn't.

I know some games are online only but it's becoming more frequent and where I live I can't get nbn ATM so how is that fair? What move house just to enjoy gaming? Cmon man surely you can see that point of it? It's getting kind of rediculous. They brought this online gaming demand out to early, at least allow people to get stable internet before forcing this regime of game play. Wouldn't surprise me if some big companies are in with Internet suppliers to push this next level of gaming, makes sense, everyone gets a piece of the pie then.

There are people that can't afford the current systems — that must be unfair too! The PS4 Pro introduces features that can only really be appreciated on a 4K, HDR-capable TV. Also unfair.

All Iam saying is to give people the option, instead of spending all this money on ways to force people to play there way, they could use it to benifit a more vast audience by trying to cater for the offline player, but they won't because if they can force you to play online, chances are they can force you to spend more on dlc.

I should probably point out that we have no idea how much the final release version of GT Sport will cater to offline play. We have rough ideas based on a 7-month old presentation from Polyphony. That's it.

DLC is optional.

Mate as for your rolling eyes emoji, just look at a game like sonic the hedgehog from back in the day, that's has hardly any bugs compared to games we see today and the reason for that is better coding by less lazy developers and the reason for that is because they wanted to make the game as enjoyable as possible and don't have the ability to rely on patches so it had to be done right the first time.

First off, two definitions: cherry-picking, and run-on sentence.

The original Sonic The Hedgehog, in its entirety, is smaller than a 1920 x 1080 PNG file (even less when we remove the "SEGA" opener, which took up an eighth of the cartridge on its own). The number of lines of code is exponentially smaller.

Things had to be done right the first time then because there was no margin for error. That doesn't mean everything was glitch free: the sequel has a few glitches relating to Super Sonic. Or, to make this more relevant: GT2 had a glitch that meant gamers could never obtain 100% completion with the original version.

That'd be a simple patch these days. The only reason it got fixed then was with the Greatest Hits re-release.

GT6 is a more modern example. The game in its current, v1.22 form, is a much different beast to what it was on release day. Without the ability to update post-release, the game would be measurably worse.

How hard is that for people to see or understand? Blows my mind of the ignorance of some simply because they don't agree.

I'm sorry you mistake logic for ignorance.

The only way I could see GT6 unplayable, is if the game only came with the Audi R8 GT3 at launch and a buyer didn't have the net for the updates. :nervous:

There are many things that come with the basics. Lego. AFX tracks. DVD player. Game console's.

A PS4 already comes with a controller. There is no law that requires a player to buy a wheel. I'm a game pad player and I don't feel like spending the money. I have bought a wheel when GT4 came out. Bought the Japanese version PS2&GT4 and USA versions.

Some may never desire to use a game pad ever again. That's their choice. If even researching a wheel before buying, still doesn't guarantee that wheel will be useful in other games. Maybe steer clear of it.

My Sony TV advises me of updates. Phone as well. Cars do too. I worked for Mazda and the the nav screen needed updates just after purchase. People lost their minds because, they just spent nearly $40k and their nav was blank & brand new iPhone wouldn't connect.
Brand new BT-50s needed TCM/PCM/BCM updates because the transmission was harsh, wipers and radio wouldn't work.
It's just the way of things now.

Paragraphs. They're called paragraphs.

No you're not:

"Least modifications to your bike won't stop you from using it unless you get it done like in some cases with dlc it does."

That's not what you've been suggesting. That analogy is akin to a game like GT5 launching with all its post-release content included... and then being repackaged a year or two later at the same price, with all of that content cut out and sold separately.

Where has this happened in the game industry? I'm still waiting on a list from my previous post.

You're trying to make a non-existent point? I've never said I'd spend that amount of money on a game.

It's their product, they can design it however they want. That's what a free market is all about. Gamers can (and do) vote with their wallet. Some online-only games have failed in the market (NFS certainly seems to have, judging by the discounts). WoW most certainly hasn't.

There are people that can't afford the current systems — that must be unfair too! The PS4 Pro introduces features that can only really be appreciated on a 4K, HDR-capable TV. Also unfair.

I should probably point out that we have no idea how much the final release version of GT Sport will cater to offline play. We have rough ideas based on a 7-month old presentation from Polyphony. That's it.

DLC is optional.

First off, two definitions: cherry-picking, and run-on sentence.

The original Sonic The Hedgehog, in its entirety, is smaller than a 1920 x 1080 PNG file (even less when we remove the "SEGA" opener, which took up an eighth of the cartridge on its own). The number of lines of code is exponentially smaller.

Things had to be done right the first time then because there was no margin for error. That doesn't mean everything was glitch free: the sequel has a few glitches relating to Super Sonic. Or, to make this more relevant: GT2 had a glitch that meant gamers could never obtain 100% completion with the original version.

That'd be a simple patch these days. The only reason it got fixed then was with the Greatest Hits re-release.

GT6 is a more modern example. The game in its current, v1.22 form, is a much different beast to what it was on release day. Without the ability to update post-release, the game would be measurably worse.

I'm sorry you mistake logic for ignorance.

What you grammar police to? Geez what is there you don't do? You dissecting a post to back up your point of view. How do you know exactly what my intentions were when I made the comment? Are you me? You know what Iam thinking and trying to get across? Assumption is 100% correct if people don't know the answer isn't it? Ok you want to get technical, gta5 cannot be played unless your forced to update, then you update for no reason and use your data so your technically paying, the update should only be needed if you want to buy the dlc. There's quite a vast majority of games that do this so one way or another you are paying again. Don't get me started on ps4 pro, even the gaming companies are segregating the rich from the poor gamers now can't you see that? I could go buy one right now but Iam not falling into there regime, my ps4 is fine, even with the VR. Just don't get it do you? Yeah these companies own these games so they can do what they want but would they have a job or company if it wasn't for players? Nope so you have pointed out that there attitude has changed so they take control and not the gamer, it's like dangling a carrot I front of the donkey. We're not even on the same wave length and Iam going to stop now because Iam just wasting my time. You've answered my questions in your post numerous times yet your twisting it for your defence. You agreed that sonic had less bugs so it had to be done right the first time, well why doesn't it happen today? Because it's all about getting it out as quick as possible and dealing with the negativity and dislike AFTER you have spent the money, sad but true. Bah why bother? Like I said Iam going to stop now because I actually like you and what you do around here but your attitude towards someone who simply disagrees is changing that real fast and I don't want to get in trouble or warned or whatever for simply stating how I feel, it's happened before. It's called difference in opinion and unless your saying others opinions are wrong except yours then why not agree to disagree?

Last edited:
Speaking of assumption, you've made quite a few in this page alone.

We get it, you want to go back 20 years when gaming companies made games for the 'love' of it not for the 'money hungry cash grab' they assumedly make today.

If things never changed one way or the other we'd all still be stuck in the stone age.

Correct grammar and punctuation, which you agreed to use under the AUP, are important if you want to get your point across.
Word walls are often difficult to follow the point you might be making. Its not policing. Its just common courtesy.
:cheers:

What you grammar police to?

As a matter of fact, he is!

You will not use “textspeak” (“r”, “u”, “plz”, etc.) in your messages. Decent grammar is expected at all times, including proper usage of capital letters.

From Da Rules.

You agreed that sonic had less bugs so it had to be done right the first time, well why doesn't it happen today? Because it's all about getting it out as quick as possible and dealing with the negativity and dislike AFTER you have spent the money,

Are you aware that there are quite a few YouTube channels devoted to giving reviews of completely terrible retro games? And that said channels don't appear to have a shortage of options?

Games like Sonic that have very few flaws are very rare and were not the norm back than anymore than they are now.

So in other words this forum discriminates against people who don't know correct grammar or spelling like me? Not everyone had the opportunity to graduate from school the way others have and this place seems like it's all about assumptions and knowing more than the actual individual Iam literally disgusted. And this double post jargon, I post on a mobile device and sometimes if I have a long post to post my phone lags and drops out therefore I need to post twice in a row. Again don't assume people do it to get a post count because I couldn't care about that. Iam still in shock about the discrimination and hate towards others like myself who don't know how punctuation works. Is that my fault? Seems like it and if that's the attitude around here, I want no part of it, absolutely disgusted. Should be grateful that people of all walks of life are willing to contribute. I post on the hotwheels custom thread and it's no where near stand overish like this side of the forum, what a joke.

All I want from this GT's single-player is to be able to simply pick any car (stock), any track, set the conditions and race. That's enough for me.

I never, not once, discriminated you or your views. I want to understand what point you might be making. However, it gets lost in a word wall. That was all.
I am as far from privileged as they come. No private schools for me. Military breed. So the excuse of "you had better than me", falls on deaf ears here. I did learn a few basic understandings of language structure in maybe the first or second grade. I've got that going for me.
Privileged :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Can't be that hard to hit the enter key to break up a wall of text can it?

Also, more assumptions?

Back on topic....I would like to see a pCARS like offline career with multiple championships (with actual points, qualifying, etc) but that doesn't seem to be the focus here unfortunately. GT7 perhaps?

I never, not once, Discriminated your or your views. I want to understand what point you might be making. However, it gets lost in a word wall. That was all.
I am as far from privileged as they come. No private schools for me. Military breed. So the excuse of "you had better than me", falls on deaf ears here. I did learn a few basic understandings of language structure in maybe the first or second grade. I've got that going for me.
Privileged :rolleyes:
So you saying correct grammar and punctuation is just courtesy? I never intending to be rude if my post seems to be that way, maybe people need to be more open minded and look at things from a wider perspective and just because it doesn't come across the way they want doesn't mean there not trying to be courteous. That's the point I was making but once again people want to see it in a way that supports there claims. Iam done here, just shocking, I can't even report the behaviour because the mod is doing the same. Yeah that's how I feel, I was warned by this same mod for making some other member feel bad in the past so why can't it work for me? Iam done here.

@NRG- what hit enter like that and now all my text is lagging? Don't know everything mate, there's a reason I type a full paragraph and that's to stop the rediculous lag Iam experiencing now. That took nearly 5 mins to post that.

All I want from this GT's single-player is to be able to simply pick any car (stock), any track, set the conditions and race. That's enough for me.
And you will have that,
Arcade Mode.
Its where I've spent a LOT of my time recently on GT6

Set the race length to inifinite laps on SIerra or Bathurst, Pick a cool car and just drive
I also use it for just cruising, shift up at road speed rpm's (4-5k) and try to actually drive in your lane as if there was traffic,

We also don;t know the full extent of the daily races, the different chanpionships, etc.
Noting they all exist outside of the "Online" Tab seen here in the public beta.
So they may require Online Connectivity for updates, such as the Seasonal Events,
But once that info is loaded into your local profile, they will probably run and be available Offline.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back