GT Sport - Trailers, Videos and Screenshots

• Thread starter sk8er913
  • 17,667 comments
Indeed, GT5 was very strange with this, infact correct me if I'm wrong but the GT5 demos at game shops just before release had better visual damage than the actual game (granted it looked weird but it was there). People were so shocked about the lack of damage in GT5 that there was a rumor you unlocked damage after reaching a certain level.

Fun times :lol:

It was the same "type" of damage, but with the intensity ramped up (making it far easier to make the car look damaged). Problem was, stuff never really broke off or became broken, it just bent, warped, and distorted. That meant you had weird putty like effects of damaged bumpers and melting headlights (which really should crack or shatter to be convincing). That may have been why damage was toned down in GT5, as it didn't take many impacts in the demos to start making cars look ridiculous).

Indeed, GT5 was very strange with this, infact correct me if I'm wrong but the GT5 demos at game shops just before release had better visual damage than the actual game (granted it looked weird but it was there). People were so shocked about the lack of damage in GT5 that there was a rumor you unlocked damage after reaching a certain level.

Fun times :lol:

Glitchy as hell But its there.

Yeah this was a common point and laugh image at the time:

gran-turismo-5-intro-1w.jpg

Clear to see why they scaled it back but it's nice to know they have got something there that they can work on and are hopefully cooking up for PS4.

You can see where they were going with this, they probably realised not modeling what's behind the body of the car would be an issue :D

Yeah and of course the other issues were that there seemed to be a complete disregard for materials (I seem to recall carbon fibre bodied cars deformed in a similar way when of course CF shatters, it doesn't deform like metals/alloys) and the fact so much deformed rather than broke off. That's one reason that Ferrari looks so silly, with the headlight touching the windscreen almost.

Yeah and of course the other issues were that there seemed to be a complete disregard for materials (I seem to recall carbon fibre bodied cars deformed in a similar way when of course CF shatters, it doesn't deform like metals/alloys) and the fact so much deformed rather than broke off. That's one reason that Ferrari looks so silly, with the headlight touching the windscreen almost.

I would be totally fine with non-visual damage as long as there was a decent implementation of mechanical damage. In Forza 6, for example, I always turn the visual damage off because it doesn't look particularly impressive, and the clumsy nature of the Drivatars/AI means every single race ends with the cars looking like they've been attacked vigorously with a mallet (making it a pain to set up Photo Mode shots in a replay, as there appears to be no way to turn off visual damage in Photo Mode), but I wouldn't mind a mechanical damage model being turned on.

I would be totally fine with non-visual damage as long as there was a decent implementation of mechanical damage. In Forza 6, for example, I always turn the visual damage off because it doesn't look particularly impressive, and the clumsy nature of the Drivatars/AI means every single race ends with the cars looking like they've been attacked vigorously with a mallet (making it a pain to set up Photo Mode shots in a replay, as there appears to be no way to turn off visual damage in Photo Mode), but I wouldn't mind a mechanical damage model being turned on.

Yes, more emphasis on mechanical damage. In GT6, it was not bad but hopefully they will improve them.

Yes, more emphasis on mechanical damage. In GT6, it was not bad but hopefully they will improve them.

Always found it odd that despite having a mechanical damage model that was at least passable, it's available to use in almost no single player races. Possibly, it's do with the limitations of the actual single player mode being quite weak (3 to 5 lap races aren't really long enough to allow mechanical damage to have any substantial effect). I can only hope being partnered with an organiser of some of the most well-known racing events in the world actually forces Polyphony to make their single player races more like actual races... :boggled:

Mechanical is definitely more important but you do need the visual to go along with most scenarios to be believable and immersive. Some things wouldn't need a visual representation, such as gearbox issues, but if we want to have things like punctures, wheel damage, suspension damage and get the physical implications of that damage you need to see the visual cues as well.

You can't really feel convinced you have suspension damage on an open wheeler if visually it looks perfect, for example.

Mechanical is definitely more important but you do need the visual to go along with most scenarios to be believable and immersive. Some things wouldn't need a visual representation, such as gearbox issues, but if we want to have things like punctures, wheel damage, suspension damage and get the physical implications of that damage you need to see the visual cues as well.

You can't really feel convinced you have suspension damage on an open wheeler if visually it looks perfect, for example.

Ah, very true. I guess a combination of a decent mechanical damage model and an improved, refined visual model based on GT5's would be a relatively easy and effective way to do things.

I believe before visual damage, they have to get the consequences of damage right. No game (I played) gets it right so far, which makes it even more distracting to have damage, especially since they are low fidelity visually.
You can hit with 30km/h difference (can bend an axle if not fully frontal, and already can ruin the chassis) and continue scooting. They just shatter the windshield (would end your race if you can't switch, safety issue), makes the bumper dislodge (would force you to pit, could end your race) and lets you keep racing.

And then it gets even worse as the speed increases, because the visual damage never follows up. You end the race with the paint all scratched up and crumpled, no bumper, door and open top.

Makes accidents a spectacle instead of disaster.

If they are serious about damage, rules and flags, I certainly hope they address its consequences first.
I believe that would really improve driving behaviour.

I believe before visual damage, they have to get the consequences of damage right. No game (I played) gets it right so far, which makes it even more distracting to have damage, especially since they are low fidelity visually.
You can hit with 30km/h difference (can bend an axle if not fully frontal, and already can ruin the chassis) and continue scooting. They just shatter the windshield (would end your race if you can't switch, safety issue), makes the bumper dislodge (would force you to pit, could end your race) and lets you keep racing.

And then it gets even worse as the speed increases, because the visual damage never follows up. You end the race with the paint all scratched up and crumpled, no bumper, door and open top.

Makes accidents a spectacle instead of disaster.

If they are serious about damage, rules and flags, I certainly hope they address its consequences first.
I believe that would really improve driving behaviour.
For realism, the damage level would have to be coordinated with the flag system. Too much damage and you get black flagged back into the pits for repairs instead of being able to carry on and continue racing. A cracked windshield, for example, would force you to pit as would a puncture, extensive body damage etc. I wouldn't mind if the game actually forced you to retire after a major incident and wouldn't allow you back on track until the race is over, just as in real life.

The Subaru in GT5 had this
18j4i74gbnca3jpg.jpg

and open doors and hood
gt5_damage.jpg
That's the same car that was shown in the GT5 trailer, wasn't it? That's what likely got everyones hopes up concerning the damage model in general.

Yeah, Sony has been pushing their luck on getting a false advertising lawsuit in the U.S. I think.
I don't know the legal standards, but I have heard of big companies getting sued for less.

I think just the act of someone filing would damage their image badly, even if they lost. (the people suing)

The trailers, advertisements, and even game packaging have all been filled with misleading information and images, completely faked sounds, and even not having what is claimed in thw contents.

Yeah, Sony has been pushing their luck on getting a false advertising lawsuit in the U.S. I think.
I don't know the legal standards, but I have heard of big companies getting sued for less.

I think just the act of someone filing would damage their image badly, even if they lost. (the people suing)

The trailers, advertisements, and even game packaging have all been filled with misleading information and images, completely faked sounds, and even not having what is claimed in thw contents.

I would be choosing to sue Ubisoft long before I sued Sony. They were using blatant bait and switch tactics to advertise games like Far Cry 3, The Crew, and most notoriously Watch Dogs. Way more dishonest and misleading than anything used to market GT.

I would be choosing to sue Ubisoft long before I sued Sony. They were using blatant bait and switch tactics to advertise games like Far Cry 3, The Crew, and most notoriously Watch Dogs. Way more dishonest and misleading than anything used to market GT.
Idk, it does seem like the gaming industry gets away with murder in this regard compared to other industries, but that's based solely on hearsay.

False advertising what? it's a game trailer, no one said this is gameplay. Ubi does this all the time but that's how game development works, when it comes to the final product you may need to sacrifice some graphical settings to get desired performance.

Idk, it does seem like the gaming industry gets away with murder in this regard compared to other industries, but that's based solely on hearsay.

I agree. It's all a load of rubbish, what game companies are allowed to market with. I just think, considering how there are a small number of very notorious companies who do use completely unrepresentative assets/artwork/lighting (sometimes closer to high quality CGI than actual real-time visuals), Polyphony are probably one of the least egregious. Not that makes it acceptable, but they just render game assets to their very highest quality, which is more representative than a completely mocked-up image featuring pre-rendered visuals.

I agree. It's all a load of rubbish, what game companies are allowed to market with. I just think, considering how there are a small number of very notorious companies who do use completely unrepresentative assets/artwork/lighting (sometimes closer to high quality CGI than actual real-time visuals), Polyphony are probably one of the least egregious. Not that makes it acceptable, but they just render game assets to their very highest quality, which is more representative than a completely mocked-up image featuring pre-rendered visuals.

You should research the medicine/medical industry. The amount of things you will find there will be far more upsetting.

False advertising what? it's a game trailer, no one said this is gameplay. Ubi does this all the time but that's how game development works, when it comes to the final product you may need to sacrifice some graphical settings to get desired performance.
The sounds are completely fake, as Tornado pointed out, an electric car making race engine noises even.
And there's also the poont I mentioned of things claimed on the packaging that aren't/weren't even in the game.

You should research the medicine/medical industry. The amount of things you will find there will be far more upsetting.
They get sued all the time.

Back