GT Sport Update Set to Shake up Sport Mode and FIA Events, Plus Penalty System Tweaks

I hope they show a preview like this for the updates going forward. This update sounds good, gr4 needs a rework. The daily races could also use a shake up, doubt that would happen though.

I’m a little confused about their plan with fia qualy tire rates and fuel consumption. Do they intend on having different multipliers than the race? Seems silly if thats the case, why not just set the initial fuel for qualy to 1/3 of a tank instead? Then you don’t need to touch the consumption rates.

Last edited:
The changes that are being made are very much needed and am glad they're listening to the community, GT Sport is starting to fall behind on other racing sims as of late; I believe people (me included) are getting a bit tired of the game, which was released almost 3 years ago. PD has done a great job of keeping the game fresh so far but I hope the next game is released at some point next year, in 2021, at the latest.

I really hope they keep going in the same direction they've been going with GT Sport, putting the emphasis on online racing and improving upon the simulation engine, adding more GT3/GTE cars, adding multi-class endurance races, making a more realistic collision system, and perhaps getting rid of the penalty system and adding a no-fault system similar to iRacing.

They should add more cups and championships so people can have competitive races even just for fun. Sport mode outside of FIA is basically just daily race and it is boring without point system. I'm surprised a lot of people still play it.

7).jpeg

What happened to this anyway? So much potential wasted.

Last edited:
Wonder if MR cars tires will wear as quickly as they do now, no mention of them or like Famine said, AWD cars, but one could hope the adjustments made are physics based and would apply to all cars regardless of drivetrain.
Was really starting to love driving the 458 at Suzuka, but would never dare use it (or the Lambo) in a tire wear race.

Suuuuuuuuper excited to see all these changes though. Slip stream reduction is huge! BOP.....
Penalties...
Fingers crossed

Is someone gonna post the 'It's Happening' gif with the guy waving his hands in excitement?

Last edited:
Wonder if MR cars tires will wear as quickly as they do now, no mention of them or like Famine said, AWD cars, but one could hope the adjustments made are physics based and would apply to all cars regardless of drivetrain.
Was really starting to love driving the 458 at Suzuka, but would never dare use it (or the Lambo) in a tire wear race.

Suuuuuuuuper excited to see all these changes though. Slip stream reduction is huge! BOP.....
Penalties...
Fingers crossed

Is someone gonna post the 'It's Happening' gif with the guy waving his hands in excitement?
Yeah I'm pretty tired of seeing the same group of manufacturers being used by everyone, and the same group qualifying for the World Tour events. I really want to use Ferrari or Lambo too but the cars are so horrific once tire wear kicks in, they're completely un-usable.

Last edited:
I hope they show a preview like this for the updates going forward. This update sounds good, gr4 needs a rework. The daily races could also use a shake up, doubt that would happen though.

I’m a little confused about their plan with fia qualy tire rates and fuel consumption. Do they intend on having different multipliers than the race? Seems silly if thats the case, why not just set the initial fuel for qualy to 1/3 of a tank instead? Then you don’t need to touch the consumption rates.
Just remove consumption. Quali is supposed to be about the fastest driver. Also why I wish that they ghosted everyone else in qualifying so there's no slipstream BS.

All of the changes detailed in the article sound pretty good. 👍
Hopefully PD will be contacting me soon to ask what changes should be made to the daily races. :D

If you qualify on pole position, you have to shotgun a beer. :lol:

Man, it feels so awesome to have a photo featured on an article again.

Been there. It does feel good. :cheers:

Probably an unpopular opinion but FIA racing would be smoother without qualifying.

Matchmaking should determine start order. By door number with past track experience taken into consideration. This would ensure a smoother start to the race.

One scenario which often occurs is a very fast driver is interfered with during qualifying, is forced to start from the back, is angry and super aggressive changing the tone of the entire race.

Probably an unpopular opinion but FIA racing would be smoother without qualifying.

Matchmaking should determine start order. By door number with past track experience taken into consideration. This would ensure a smoother start to the race.

One scenario which often occurs is a very fast driver is interfered with during qualifying, is forced to start from the back, is angry and super aggressive changing the tone of the entire race.

I can't imagine FIA going for that.

Was watching an esport racing stream of a recent event involving professional drivers and sim racers (can't remember the game... may have been ACC or something similar), and the qualifier had no other drivers on the course. Interesting concept that may be controversial to some but it led to a very honest grid regarding talent.

Finally! Now they just need to fix the worst idea in the world ever: multiple tries.

GT Sport is the only sport in the world where people you defeat end up scoring more points. I can't get used to this concept.

This is what I disagree with to a point

Especially what’s going on with the severs , the disconnects is ridiculous. Also, you may have some bad luck in a previous race, like someone taking you out or someone is there ruining people’s races (I had that one).

Now the scoring aspect, yes that sucks.

Couldn't PD just turn off slipstream during qualifying? I mean, they can give a victim of a punt a 2 second penalty, but they can't shut off the air for qualifying? Also, the BoP for all classes should be at a point now where we never have to ask what the meta car is.

Last edited:
This is what I disagree with to a point

Especially what’s going on with the severs , the disconnects is ridiculous. Also, you may have some bad luck in a previous race, like someone taking you out or someone is there ruining people’s races (I had that one).

Now the scoring aspect, yes that sucks.
There're better solutions for this. One is limit the number of retries, like you have 12 slots to enter in a season of 10 races, so 2 opportunities to retry.

The current system considers only your best scores, so even if you had a day of bad luck, you can make up for it in the next rounds. But what often happens now is that I race early, beat my close adversary, dominate the race even, but wake up the next day to see he scored more points than me because he tried 4 times and got his best possible result at 1 AM. This is not fair competition. It's just dumb.

They're changes for Sport Mode. Circuit Experience isn't in Sport Mode.
They say that, but surely they aren't going to give the cars different handling and fuel consumption for sport mode compared to other parts of the game. I suspect what they mean is that the changes listed will all impact sport mode, rather than that they will only impact sport mode.

They say "The following is a list of some changes that will be implemented in 'Sport' mode", not "The following is a list of some changes that will be implemented only in 'Sport' mode".

They say that, but surely they aren't going to give the cars different handling and fuel consumption for sport mode compared to other parts of the game. I suspect what they mean is that the changes listed will all impact sport mode, rather than that they will only impact sport mode.

They say "The following is a list of some changes that will be implemented in 'Sport' mode", not "The following is a list of some changes that will be implemented only in 'Sport' mode".

There is no comparison between Sport mode with human competition & arcade mode with AI. It you can't win in arcade mode, you don't need to be in Sport mode.

Back