GT Sport Update Set to Shake up Sport Mode and FIA Events, Plus Penalty System Tweaks

after more than 2 years in GTS I started playing ACC on PC (coming soon to PS4, hope for good port)
sadly GTS looks like a joke to me after that experience
in fact from every angle - from physics and servers stability to developers interaction with player base

about servers, because this gives me the biggest headache
I'm mostly lobby racer, I prefer custom leagues with strictly judging etc, and I'm just SICK of this
every race or two someone can't start from grid/pit lane in qual or can't see other players on the track which ends by interpenetration and chaos for co-racers
why things like that not happen in other games? and this isn't new bug, this is critical bug in the engine which is in this game since GT5
and why we can't see ping in the lobby?

driving physics are far from the most immersive, but this is decent simcade and I can understand that - this is game for wider audience, and they want people on controllers to be competitive
but for me surface bumps could be more noticeable (for example longest straight on Panorama, and especially that small right corner in ACC is crazy experience, in GTS this is just dull as hell)
mechanical grip is not working like it should too

about other physics
what the hell is going on with collision physics? this is just stupid, cars behave like cardboard boxes
in this game racing wheel to wheel on the limit is almost impossible (especially when more than 2 people are involved) because small touches ends with a tragedy which is joke in cars like GT3 or GT4, in real life there is a lot races in those classes where cars touching themselves wheel to wheel and all is fine
and current drafting physics is a nonsense too which affect w2w racing even more

I don't even want to talk about stupidness of current cars groups split and about balancing (especially about similar base setups in every car with locked tuning which is just completely nonsense)

same with devs interaction, check assetto forum to understand what I'm talking about

Please use punctuation mate. Even if you’re trying to make a good point, it gets lost in long lines of words.

These games allow us to have virtual Motorsports experiences in a safe and mostly low buck environment. To enjoy competition with our peers from all around the world and to build camaraderie with folks that we’d never come across in our daily lives.

Never have I heard the word “joke” thrown around so freely. I’ll never truly understand this. There exits this strange mentality that just seems to thrive on negative comparison and one upmanship. PD will make changes, and they may or may not nail it 100%. Even if they don’t, I’ll simply adapt and keep enjoying it.

Nicely written.
I would like to add that I find it funny when some (not saying all, but some)
A. actually think of coming onto a GTS forum when they supposedly never play because it’s a ‘joke’
Is it so much of a ‘joke’ that you can’t stop thinking about it? Lol
B. When they are on pc telling you how immersive it is in (insert video game of choice) using a small monitor, just a pet peeve. Nice immersion watching a little tiny car...

I personally feel PD is working on the things that need further evolution and I have high hopes they will succeed with their plans to improve the pen system and the other aspects listed in the article.

Some of you guys are too easy on PD and how they're handling the game. Everything instinct808 said is the opinion of many people since GTSs release and if many people are saying something, there must be at least some merit to it.

PD could do so much better in so many regards with how many resources are available to them, GT being Sony's staple game and all. Literally everything that these much less funded sims are doing better, PD absolutely has the capability of doing, as well as fixing GTS exclusive problems. It just sucks that Kaz is too prideful to takes ideas from these sims on top of PD not having the most logically focused priorities.

As a literal life long fan (since I'm only 21), I want nothing but the best for the series I grew up with but it's very frustrating to be blue-balled by all of this potential.

I dunno guys, To me, the best game for racing has gotta be most fair. Not hardest to drive, that’s not fun except for aliens and wanna be aliens.
Hardest to drive is a niche. Most simlike video game with razor thin margin of error is niche. It’s a minority. Personally I want fair, that means pen system and no or limited tuning. Jmo.
Collision physics? Wrecks with explosions? Oil and coolant and debris on track?
Imo that would encourage people who like to go negative.
I think for sport mode yes it’s pinball, but I sure like that I can come right back and pass the guy that wronged me as opposed to watching a smashed car get picked up with heavy equipment.
I think Polyphony has prioritized well in terms of finding and working towards the most fair fun competition racing game, heck they even put in the best livery editor I’ve seen, great replays, pickup races (with players) every few minutes.
I dunno, the physics and tire stuff is way better now than launch, they have been evolving that. The framework is in place.
I mean if you want real, buy a kart and join a karting club. Find out what real means...

I think GT Sport is long experiment for the next Chapter on PS5. They change the penalty system again and again for see our reaction as we do here. Players who play since release are most critical to it and they give good advices for the weak points of our game.
Hope Pd is learning now and we will have any thread with the name: our lovely penalty system!

They should add more cups and championships so people can have competitive races even just for fun. Sport mode outside of FIA is basically just daily race and it is boring without point system. I'm surprised a lot of people still play it.

View attachment 904096

What happened to this anyway? So much potential wasted.

Fundamentally I think the daily races are a great platform to race against other people online. A player can reliably jump online and race against a full grid of players that are at least in their approximate skill category, every single time

Where I think it gets unstuck is where PD just insist on having the same track and car combinations over and over and over, and make little to no use of a lot of tracks as well as at least 60% of the cars in the game. So even if some combinations are good, it gets stale by being repeated ad nauseum.

I agree that there is a lot of wasted potential.

Fundamentally I think the daily races are a great platform to race against other people online. A player can reliably jump online and race against a full grid of players that are at least in their approximate skill category, every single time

Where I think it gets unstuck is where PD just insist on having the same track and car combinations over and over and over, and make little to no use of a lot of tracks as well as at least 60% of the cars in the game. So even if some combinations are good, it gets stale by being repeated ad nauseum.

I agree that there is a lot of wasted potential.
The single most enjoyable Daily Race I ever tried was the Subaru Time Attack car at Bathurst.

So many interesting models than rarely, if ever, get used. How about a single-make Daytona Cobra race at Goodwood, a Group C only race at Le Mans, a 330SP/MKIV race at Brand?

Give us a little variety outside the Gr.1-4 norm. Or just a selection of hopper races so we can experience a wider range of cars.

Hope they give the gr4 Supra a little more hp. And add a few hundred more pounds to the Megane trophy.
It's been mentioned a few times, we need BOP at each track. Right now, the Supra is good at DTG. I've battled the TT, Evo, WRX, Huracan, NSX, 4C, Slophy, Scirocco. With more power at that track, it'd be a META(I certainly wouldn't mind). I'm not craving more power, as it's got so much grip and cornering speed, plus great brakes.

Now, when we get to Monza or St Croixe or Fuji, yes, I needs more power. ;)

When they are on pc telling you how immersive it is in (insert video game of choice) using a small monitor
LMAO.
you just shown there that you are clown and probably never played other racing game than Gran Turismo
Not hardest to drive
who said it need to be "hardest to drive"?
ACC isn't hard to drive - especially with perfectly implemented traction control (which is joke in GT series too) and decent basic setup presets provided by game
but there are few factors like weight transfer (almost not existing in GTS) which when you forgot about can punish you hard
overally driving is fairly easy but just a lot more immersive when you can feel all bumps from tarmac and with better FFB effects (sadly, this is another big problem in GTS)
and because all of that driving is just much more pleasant

Last edited:
I dunno guys, To me, the best game for racing has gotta be most fair. Not hardest to drive, that’s not fun except for aliens and wanna be aliens.
Hardest to drive is a niche. Most simlike video game with razor thin margin of error is niche. It’s a minority. Personally I want fair, that means pen system and no or limited tuning. Jmo.
I think for sport mode yes it’s pinball, but I sure like that I can come right back and pass the guy that wronged me as opposed to watching a smashed car get picked up with heavy equipment.
I think Polyphony has prioritized well in terms of finding and working towards the most fair fun competition racing game, heck they even put in the best livery editor I’ve seen, great replays, pickup races (with players) every few minutes.
I dunno, the physics and tire stuff is way better now than launch, they have been evolving that. The framework is in place.
I mean if you want real, buy a kart and join a karting club. Find out what real means...
So if the next GT comes out with the same physics,the same very basic collision physics,no visual damage system,same ffb,it will be fine for you?...Honestly i hope PD won't do that...GT has to evolve in those areas .

So if the next GT comes out with the same physics,the same very basic collision physics,no visual damage system,same ffb,it will be fine for you?...Honestly i hope PD won't do that...GT has to evolve in those areas .

Well, that has always been the problem of GT hasn't it?

Every GT they bring out, they have terrible collision physics, no visual damage, weird car selection, very very bad/slow AI (just remember the weekly or monthly or whatever it was challenges in GT6, where you would drive in the same car starting from last being 20-30 secs from first with the goal to win and it still wasn't even super hard), some awkward mechanics (I am no expert, but tire wear in GT Sport seems to come 80-90% from braking which doesn't seem too realistic)

And Every time they seem to put most resources on improving the already amazing graphics and very little into improving the glaring weaknesses this series has always had.

I personally dont mind my Toyota 86 having a little less cockpit detail, if they finally give me an AI like in codemaster games or a better selection of either competitive GR.3 or GR.4 cars or even better yet, more groups and more diverse daily races.

Has PD done this before where they released an "update preview"? I feel like that's new.
They previewed the 2018 updates, showcasing the new events that would be coming. Not so much the cars though.

you just shown there that you are clown and probably never played other racing game than Gran Turismo

Nope never gotten top 150 on dr2 dailies either. In case you haven’t played there’s no do overs...The point is how unrealistic sim is as a genre.
In real life these things happen. Mechanical failure at random. Not tied to some algorithm.
And thanks for calling someone you’ve never met a clown. What does that say about you?

If the pen system was good absolutely.
I don’t really value much in ffb as far as surface chatter jitter and bumps.
Just wanna know what my cars doing and race real people whenever I feel like it.
Sure I welcome improvements in all areas...Everyone would, but the most important is the pen system. I was racing today with a friend, and our fun was disrupted by him getting an unfair penalty in sport mode.
I like the human aspect of online racing.
The unpredictability, the mental chess match of racing, if it’s fair racing for all then it’s grest. If pens aren’t great it’s not a fair contest.
Everything else is secondary, physics ffb etc.
The fun comes from human v human, but if pen system is poor everything is ruined.
Imagine a very accurate pen system with blame assignment almost always correct.
Then there’s less luck involved...better game.
A game doesn’t have to be more complicated to be more fun.
Less is more if it’s quality competition.

The new penalty system is a freakin' JOKE!! It's worse than before!
How is it that a driver can be hit from the rear, say breaking for a hair pin, by a car doing twice their speed, and the car that gets hit receives the penalty ??? And nothing happens to the offending driver!

How is it that a driver can be hit from the rear, say breaking for a hair pin, by a car doing twice their speed, and the car that gets hit receives the penalty ??? And nothing happens to the offending driver!

This happens a lot on Race B this week. Get slammed from behind at the hairpin. pile driven into the wall, with a 2 second penalty (no reason given), and an SR down arrow. The perp gets away scot free.

Madness!!!!

Some people might be talking about damage, but I think what most people want to happen with the collision physics is just less energy transfer, so cars aren't as disrupted by minor contact. Yes an intentional punt can still happen, but when I play FH4, the collisions are much more "dead", like real life, and it means that those small unintentional contacts don't have a huge adverse effect on the other car, so people aren't as upset by them.

You've only just figured it out?

Very
Some of you guys are too easy on PD and how they're handling the game. Everything instinct808 said is the opinion of many people since GTSs release and if many people are saying something, there must be at least some merit to it.

PD could do so much better in so many regards with how many resources are available to them, GT being Sony's staple game and all. Literally everything that these much less funded sims are doing better, PD absolutely has the capability of doing, as well as fixing GTS exclusive problems. It just sucks that Kaz is too prideful to takes ideas from these sims on top of PD not having the most logically focused priorities.

As a literal life long fan (since I'm only 21), I want nothing but the best for the series I grew up with but it's very frustrating to be blue-balled by all of this potential.

Well said. I'm 38 and played every GT game to death. That this game still has fundamental issues so far on is unforgivable. It shows a lack of respect for the players and it shows incompetence runs deep in PD. Sony are obviously just happy to have sold so many games.

As I becomes more experienced in gaming I can also see the little game developers play in their game e.g Renault, Toyota and Audi being meta cars most of the time. Wonder why it's similar daily races all the time? Because it's a big advert for the meta car and their manufacturers.

Ok it's their game and they can implement it how they want and by whoever gives them the best deal, but as a racing purist (something Kaz lost a long time ago) it doesn't fool me.

As for the people who are very happy with GTS, fanboys and yes men who are happy to brush aside real issues with the game. If it was all fanboys and yes men the game would be worse and that doesn't just apply to games.

Has there been any improvement to the penalties? You can consistently divebomb people at Dragon Trail Gardens at the hairpin and give the person you bump a 1-2 second penalty.

I don't want a FWD meta but I do want them to be fun so people can make a proper TCR racing series

The problem is that they've toyed with the idea of sub-dividing Group 4 to have something that resembles TCR, but they half arsed it and only tried it on Race A, and didn't allow garage cars, which undermines the point of the livery editor, and also means you can't select it as an option in lobbies.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at PD HQ during the meeting that led to this preview being released. This is probably the closest we'll ever see Kaz/PD publicly apologising for butchering the FIA format so badly in the last few months. Normally they would just stay silent and drop the update whenever they feel like it, but the quick turnaround of penalties last week and putting out preview note shows how desperate they are to retain their playerbase, especially the aliens who are getting increasingly vocal on social media. With the quarantine and lots of other esports sims taking off, PD can't afford to make any more blunders like this.

Anyway, most of the changes are good and in line with what I wanted. I just hope the FF tyre wear reduction isn't too much because those cars without tyre wear are absolute dragsters on the straights (Pug for Manu champion anyone? :lol:). Also, I pray that the handling adjustment makes the car handle closer to what they were before the "understeer patch". I need all the help I can to get those last 5 diamonds in LH challenge :crazy:

Now Kaz, when will you be ballsy enough to set heavy damage and bring back single attempts for FIA? ;)

Some people might be talking about damage, but I think what most people want to happen with the collision physics is just less energy transfer, so cars aren't as disrupted by minor contact. Yes an intentional punt can still happen, but when I play FH4, the collisions are much more "dead", like real life, and it means that those small unintentional contacts don't have a huge adverse effect on the other car, so people aren't as upset by them.

I dunno. Imo changing collision physics isn’t going to help the penalty system assign blame more accurately.
This game is evolving and imo they are right on the money working on the penalties.
If you lessen the effect from impact people will just bang harder until the penalty stops them.
I’ve been playing all week studying what I see in average rooms. Penalties and sr downs which result in sketchier matching work to curb bad behavior. But right now blame assignment still needs a lot of development budget.

Also, bring back ONE chance FIA. It makes for a better experience. Since that changed to multiple FIA has been dirtier than dailies in my races...Maybe bad luck small sample size but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Back