GT Sport vs Other Games: Comparison Video Thread

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 2,529 comments
New 1080p60 comparison video.

GT3's at the 'ring. Just after the first corner to the exit of Adeneaur Forest. Project Cars and GTS.

Cars are: Corvette C7, V12 Vantage and SLS AMG. Cockpit / Helmet cam and audio switches between them, I have also time corrected them to try and get corners matching as much as possible.

I'm using my trusty old headphones and they tell me that the audio levels are not even close even. It feels like GTS beta is at 4 and Pcars is at 11. Why such a big difference? You should've raised the GTS beta volume much more.

I'm using my trusty old headphones and they tell me that the audio levels are not even close even. It feels like GTS beta is at 4 and Pcars is at 11. Why such a big difference? You should've raised the GTS beta volume much more.
It's a direct capture via HDMI to a capture card, those are the native volumes that the two put out.

I could boost the GTS Beta volume, but that would arguably not be representative of what you get out of the box.

It is however a great idea for a video, I will look tonight at what happens and how they compare if PC and AC are reduced to GTS levels and also the opposite.

Last edited:

Yeah, something doesn't seem right with the levels but I'll take his word for it.

Some prefer a big wall of sound like they're at a rock concert, sort of like the PCars default settings that are ear piercingly loud. I turn down my headphones when I play it, especially when my ears ring (no joke). I get racing cars are loud, you don't need to shove it in my face. PCars is the only game I've ever played (yes, ever) where I've had to turn down my headphones. The sounds become tiresome after a lengthy gameplay session, borderline intolerable when driving the same car.

GTS beta sounds are quieter, but this example is barely a whisper. Not quite what I hear playing the game. We'll see what the final release brings. Who knows.

Yeah, something doesn't seem right with the levels but I'll take his word for it.

Some prefer a big wall of sound like they're at a rock concert, sort of like the PCars default settings that are ear piercingly loud. I turn down my headphones when I play it, especially when my ears ring (no joke). I get racing cars are loud, you don't need to shove it in my face. PCars is the only game I've ever played (yes, ever) where I've had to turn down my headphones. The sounds become tiresome after a lengthy gameplay session, borderline intolerable when driving the same car.

GTS beta sounds are quieter, but this example is barely a whisper. Not quite what I hear playing the game. We'll see what the final release brings. Who knows.
I agree that game is super loud which is cool, but can get a little annoying. What I dont like is the replay system the cars sound extra low.

Regardless of the state of GTS, there will always be those who claim it is worse than it is. Simply because they don't like the direction the development has taken or how long it has taken, or because they think the cars sound like vacuum cleaners, or because Assetto Corsa "feels" more real. I get it though. The franchise has been around so long and stuck to the same formula that it's human nature to figure it's gone stale and everything around it is better.

Or they could simply be being objective about the current state of the game. That's an option too.

The fact is that it's all a matter of perspective, preference, and what one game does well as opposed to the other.

To some extent yes, but when we're talking about things like the realism of physics not so much. There's an objective reality for comparison.

Great video comparison @Scaff Anyone who hears that and still believes GT:Sport sounds even remotely acceptable needs a hearing test and perhaps a hearing aid 👍

Settle down, it's not that bad. The GTS sound is fine, it just lacks all the extra rattles and squeaks that pCARS has that makes it so dynamic. Also the balancing of the gear whine, but that's a known thing at the moment.

I wouldn't describe it as unacceptable. Underwhelming, but it's not actively awful like some of the GT6 sounds were.

I agree that game is super loud which is cool, but can get a little annoying. What I dont like is the replay system the cars sound extra low.

Audio mode plays big role on how the overall dynamic range as well loudness can be heard, like in GT6 for example playing in stereo vs DD 5.1 to DTS 5.1 gives different loudness, with DTS requiring substantially higher volume. The in game option further changed the dynamic range with living room, small theatre and large theatre option. I usually play with large theatre and the music got very quiet in that mixing mode, while sound effects are at full dynamic range ( set the volume until you can hear the car engine idling like you would in real life, it's no joke - LOUD ). PCM stereo usually lacks the dynamic range or loudness ( or punch ), very noticeable on action games like Dead Space, or FPS like Battlefield. That's why I never care much about youtube audio as they are compressed and usually in stereo.

Settle down, it's not that bad. The GTS sound is fine, it just lacks all the extra rattles and squeaks that pCARS has that makes it so dynamic. Also the balancing of the gear whine, but that's a known thing at the moment.

I wouldn't describe it as unacceptable. Underwhelming, but it's not actively awful like some of the GT6 sounds were.

Exactly, the sound mixing should be an easy fix. It's not a certainty but if we get a similar step up from here to the final build -- akin to the step up from the copper box build -- then I'll be quite pleased.

This is the same thing that has been said for every previous GT title, when will this end. If you don't demand more you will never see it.

This is the same thing that has been said for every previous GT title when will this end. If you demand more you will never see it.

Not really, no. GT6's sounds were explicitly called out as awful virtually from the date it was announced, being done so a few months after that laughable "too real" interview Kaz gave regarding sounds and the limp-wristed attempts to stem the bad PR of GT6 with talks about "placeholder" sounds and the fabled "sound patch."

GT Sport, in comparison, is just bleh.

Audio mode plays big role on how the overall dynamic range as well loudness can be heard, like in GT6 for example playing in stereo vs DD 5.1 to DTS 5.1 gives different loudness, with DTS requiring substantially higher volume. The in game option further changed the dynamic range with living room, small theatre and large theatre option. I usually play with large theatre and the music got very quiet in that mixing mode, while sound effects are at full dynamic range ( set the volume until you can hear the car engine idling like you would in real life, it's no joke - LOUD ). PCM stereo usually lacks the dynamic range or loudness ( or punch ), very noticeable on action games like Dead Space, or FPS like Battlefield. That's why I never care much about youtube audio as they are compressed and usually in stereo.
There is no option for this in GTS like there was in GT5 and GT6, this is why I have some faith the sounds will get even better. I normally set it to 7.1 small theatre. I really feel like the sounds are not final in this beta. Another thing which is diffrent from GT5 and 6 is you can barely hear the cars idle I have to turn my volume extremely high to hear the cars idle, this was not the case for GT5 and 6. My opinion right now the sounds are going in the right direction. I like what PD did with the first update with sounds hopefully they can make the chassis noises sound louder.

There is no option for this in GTS like there was in GT5 and GT6, this is why I have some faith the sounds will get even better. I normally set it to 7.1 small theatre. I really feel like the sounds are not final in this beta. Another thing which is diffrent from GT5 and 6 is you can barely hear the cars idle I have to turn my volume extremely high to hear the cars idle, this was not the case for GT5 and 6. My opinion right now the sounds are going in the right direction. I like what PD did with the first update with sounds hopefully they can make the chassis noises sound louder.

It seems like PD has been changing the sounds without any notice during the beta. Not sure the reasoning, maybe for culling feedback, maybe they're holding back the final sounds for release. That's why these direct comparisons don't mean much, especially with developers these days continually making updates even after games are released.

Much prefer AC's rendition of The Nord than PD's. Love all the graffiti that AC capture, PD hardly bother with much of it. GTS has better lighting & trees, but the overall effect in AC is much more realistic imho. AC has GTS beat on sounds too, GTS is still too sterile & dull in that department.

Youtube is compressed and usually in stereo but this applies to both games. YT compression doesn't magically make GTS sound awful while making other games continue to sound fuller and richer with a wider variety of the sounds of racing in a car at speed simulated. In other words, the YT effect is the same on both games so it' a moot point when comparing games side by side.

The transition in sound at 1:05 is jarring.
It kind of does sound like a vacuum cleaner, sorry:indiff::irked:

VBR
Much prefer AC's rendition of The Nord than PD's. Love all the graffiti that AC capture, PD hardly bother with much of it. GTS has better lighting & trees, but the overall effect in AC is much more realistic imho. AC has GTS beat on sounds too, GTS is still too sterile & dull in that department.
I can't speak about the track accuracy but the graffiti shouldn't be compared IMO. Maybe the graffiti weren't there or erased with time.

Youtube is compressed and usually in stereo but this applies to both games. YT compression doesn't magically make GTS sound awful while making other games continue to sound fuller and richer with a wider variety of the sounds of racing in a car at speed simulated. In other words, the YT effect is the same on both games so it' a moot point when comparing games side by side.

The transition in sound at 1:05 is jarring.
It kind of does sound like a vacuum cleaner, sorry:indiff::irked:

YT compression is half the story, my main concern is with the source. The audio mode used to play the game when being recorded is what matters most. Let's say one game is running with 2 channel LPCM, while the other game is in DTS 5.1, then the in game sound mode may offer mixing ( dynamic range, audio level adjustment to music, sound effect, speech etc ), these differences can give overall different peak audio output, dynamic range and mixing. I gave example with GT6, the game has 3 different dynamic range level, several audio modes like stereo, DD and DTS that each gives different sound level.

Here's the tricky part, game with low dynamic range often tend to sound louder/noisier as the differences between low to high are narrowed, while high dynamic range tend to sound quieter/subdued.

I don't know if YT does the audio conversion or the uploader have to do it themselves ( I never uploaded video with multichannel audio in DTS or DD format ), downmixing multichannel audio can also be a variable ( depending on the software matrix adjustments )

Anyway, I still don't like GTS sound quality, the sampling rate is one of the offender IMO., not just the quality of the recording or the amount of details processed. If you ever played MGS IV, that game has one of the best audio sampling rate, clarity even on DD 5.1

In GT6, if you set to DTS, not DD, and large theatre, you will need to crank the volume more. If I use large theatre + DTS then set the volume till I can hear the car idle when in cockpit view like I would in real car, it can be really loud when I switch to chase or roof cam or when viewing replay ( more so on race car and road car fitted with racing exhaust ). The volume slider in game also can alter the output, try 70, 80, 100 and then raise it to max 120, there's more distortion when at max. What PD really needs to do is better sampling rate, more details, better source recording and processing.

GTSport hold its own, but that video illustrates where they're lacking. It's mainly the actual shifting, which sounds way too synthetic. The actual engine note/sound is pretty decent though.
Partially agree, the engine itself sounds decent but that is pretty much it, for me it lacks character and volume (it is a constant pitch goin up and down). Yes they sound different then GT6 (introduced different blow off valves, chassis noice, a v8 has its growl, a v6 does not wheeze anymore etc etc). But it lacks elements that makes the car feel like its alive. Also other elements like exhaust note, crackling and other effects seems to be in a minimum level or barely audibly in GT sport.

The doppler effect/flyby Gran Turismo was praised for it giving it a realistic feel in replay, but other games are or have caught up. This is where I feel Gran Turismo lacks the most, yes this is a beta and not representitive in the final game but what is represented in the beta barely stacks up with other competitions.

YT compression is half the story, my main concern is with the source. The audio mode used to play the game when being recorded is what matters most. Let's say one game is running with 2 channel LPCM, while the other game is in DTS 5.1, then the in game sound mode may offer mixing ( dynamic range, audio level adjustment to music, sound effect, speech etc ), these differences can give overall different peak audio output, dynamic range and mixing. I gave example with GT6, the game has 3 different dynamic range level, several audio modes like stereo, DD and DTS that each gives different sound level.

Here's the tricky part, game with low dynamic range often tend to sound louder/noisier as the differences between low to high are narrowed, while high dynamic range tend to sound quieter/subdued.

I don't know if YT does the audio conversion or the uploader have to do it themselves ( I never uploaded video with multichannel audio in DTS or DD format ), downmixing multichannel audio can also be a variable ( depending on the software matrix adjustments )

Anyway, I still don't like GTS sound quality, the sampling rate is one of the offender IMO., not just the quality of the recording or the amount of details processed. If you ever played MGS IV, that game has one of the best audio sampling rate, clarity even on DD 5.1
With my comparison videos the output has to be identical for the capture card to accept it.

Partially agree, the engine itself sounds decent but that is pretty much it, for me it lacks character and volume (it is a constant pitch goin up and down). Yes they sound different then GT6 (introduced different blow off valves, chassis noice, a v8 has its growl, a v6 does not wheeze anymore etc etc). But it lacks elements that makes the car feel like its alive. Also other elements like exhaust note, crackling and other effects seems to be in a minimum level or barely audibly in GT sport.

The doppler effect/flyby Gran Turismo was praised for it giving it a realistic feel in replay, but other games are or have caught up. This is where I feel Gran Turismo lacks the most, yes this is a beta and not representitive in the final game but what is represented in the beta barely stacks up with other competitions.

It depends on the cars. From the beta for example -- the Alfa 4C's pops and crackles are very audible. I agree though that the sound mixing needs work.

New one with GTS and AC, native audio levels again.

However I am going to do a level matched comparison over the weekend.

<vid>

<vid>

New video from MotoGamesTV

Gran Turismo didn't stand a chance in either video. :boggled: The other two games just have so much more life to them.

Looks like we're in for a repeat of the backlash and disappointment that very much defined the PSP, GT5, and GT6 era. GT managed to survive those but I'm not too sure it can survive yet another round. No, I don't really believe the brand name alone is enough to carry this game. The brand image most definitely isn't what it was in 2005 (and this isn't the GT7 many were looking forward to). Refer to this thread to see what I mean:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-gt-sport-already.355330/page-5#post-11797885

Latest Posts

Back