GT Sport vs Project CARS 2: A Willow Springs Comparison

Here is a reference.

Pcars2 has nailed the track condition a lot better. Sounds.. Nah. Pcars2 cockpit sound in this video is set to chase cam (?) sound and tire squeels dominate gt sport. Give is that the camaro is a heck of a more loud than the evo will ever be.

Edit. By "track condition" I meant the track surface.

Last edited:
GTS comes out in two weeks? Should be a good comparison then.
I'm loving PC2, but I already knew, no other console game will have better visuals than GTS.

Replays will be interesting. PC2 have the best camera placement I've ever seen. Just like real life televised races. No magical 200mph cameras rotating around the car or floating front 3/4 30' in the air.

I'd also like to see the attitudes of the GTS car, after launch. Pitch, dive, squat. Realistic suspension movement on the circuit.
If GTS can come close to PC2, I'd call it progress for PDI.

May look real, but does it "feel" real?

Replays will be interesting. PC2 have the best camera placement I've ever seen. Just like real life televised races. No magical 200mph cameras rotating around the car or floating front 3/4 30' in the air.

Looks like someone didn't get that memo.
(0:48, 1:07, 2:43, 3:12, 3:47, 4:02, 4:22, 6:51, 7:06)

Interesting to see where the track looks different. That bridge doesent exist in PCars or in that real life footage. Also, distant objects like trees appear nearer to the road in PCars 2. Saw something similiar at Silverstone.

Interesting to see where the track looks different. That bridge doesent exist in PCars or in that real life footage. Also, distant objects like trees appear nearer to the road in PCars 2. Saw something similiar at Silverstone.
Tracks constantly evolve and developers don’t rescan it every new game. I made a detailed comparison between Long Beach in Project CARS 2 (scanned in 2016) and Forza 6 (scanned in 2013). And then compared that with both real life footage of both years. The conclusion was that both studios did an amazing job for the year they scanned it in.

The thread can be found here:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?50446-Recreating-Long-Beach-SMS-vs-Turn-10

I'm actually more impressed with the GT Sport sound than PC's 2 in this video.
I drive standard cars on track a lot and GT Sport reflects the truth a lot better than PC's 2.
All you do hear in a standard car is tyre squeal. Road tyres are a lot worse for it than race tyres.
The car engine noise should sound muted on a standard road car as well. PC's 2 is just over doing it to make it sound like a racecar in my opinion.
I won't say the sound is good in GT Sport until I hear race cars though. The engine end exhaust sounds of a race car should over power the tyre squeal. Hopefully they have good dynamic range in the sound department to reflect this which is something every other GT game has lacked. Past games have had 4 cylinder econo boxes just as load as the screaming 787B.

Regarding graphics, GTS looks like a generation ahead (except for those stupid balloons). I give Pcars2 lighting a pass for being truly dynamic, but the tracks and especially the cars look really outdated compared to the console cmpetition by now. Not to mention AA and the PS2 era rearview mirror.

On everything else, GTS is trailing a generation behind, though. I nearly fell asleep while playing the beta.

Here is a different reference:

It looks to me like they captured Willow Springs exactly how they saw it and how their cameras captured the light.

This is what makes Gran Turismo a unique and above other racing games. Its about details and love about what they are doing. And thats why I love GT, since very first series came up. They are the excellencies on what they are doing!

That tire squeal, it's just terrible we've been talking about it for years.
I think this round gentleman I'm going to redbox GT first.
$3 rent it for 24 hours to really check it out for myself first.

XXI
That tire squeal, it's just terrible we've been talking about it for years.
I think this round gentleman I'm going to redbox GT first.
$3 rent it for 24 hours to really check it out for myself first.

The tire squeal has already been overhauled.

This is what makes Gran Turismo a unique and above other racing games. Its about details and love about what they are doing. And thats why I love GT, since very first series came up. They are the excellencies on what they are doing!

Imho it is hard to justify such a statement for a series that has been outdated and frankly not authentic regarding physics, FFB, car sounds, tire sounds, crash physics, damage model, racing rules, trackside objects etc. for several titles now (and from what I have experienced with the beta, that is sadly true for GTS, too). What you say is true about some details like material effects, factory paint, telemetry etc. but this doesnt make the attention to detail great as a whole.

Imho it is hard to justify such a statement for a series that has been outdated and frankly not authentic regarding physics, FFB, car sounds, tire sounds, crash physics, damage model, racing rules, trackside objects etc. for several titles now (and from what I have experienced with the beta, that is sadly true for GTS, too). What you say is true about some details like material effects, factory paint, telemetry etc. but this doesnt make the attention to detail great as a whole.
In the past generation, apart from some arcade games, no one has simulated well, who + who - all the things you've been doing with what you're talking about, then what are you talking about?
Then talk about beta that was a super-limited build in everything, did you see the latest movie footage? of material there is, by one eye.

The tire squeal has already been overhauled.

Have you heard GT Sports tire sounds?
It's not as bad as GT6, but still the squealing is too loud and not realistic.
Even the author of this article mentions it as "overpowering the interior audio"
I'm not saying there should be no tire squeal, but it should be more of a scrubbing sound until you reach the traction limit of the rubber compound...then squeal like a pig into a wall if you want.

Maybe it's the pitch that's off, too much treble not enough mid in the sound replication.

@danh25 : I am talking about my opinion on Greatbees statement, which I found very exaggerating considering the shortcomings (some of which quite baffling and detrimental to gameplay) that GT has had for years. PC sims have done attention to detail better for years, iRacing released almost a decade ago for example. But if you disagree and think GT is indeed the ultimate simulator despite all the things I mentioned, thats fine.

One more thing I have to say, though: GTS would be the first game that I know of to make huge jumps from beta to release version. Especially in such a short time. It is only logical, otherwise the beta (stability testing the game you intend to release) would be rather pointless.

I hate the way the GT version goes so dark you cant see the corner (as you face the sun).
Me too.. I didn't want to see the way their cams captured the image.. I would like to see the way a real persons sees the track and the car (or at least the most accurate as possible). When driving and facing directly to the sun I never see that kind of darkness inside the car...

Its about loving cars, and the experiance of racing what they give us, and on my opinion, Gran Turismo franchise experiance is the best experiance to feel that. So many people, so many opinions. Ones love to drive in mucle cars, others to supercars etc...

Its about loving cars, and the experiance of racing what they give us, and on my opinion, Gran Turismo franchise experiance is the best experiance to feel that. So many people, so many opinions. Ones love to drive in mucle cars, others to supercars etc...
That is not attention to detail, that is variety. Perhaps you guys are talking about two different things.

XXI
Have you heard GT Sports tire sounds?
It's not as bad as GT6, but still the squealing is too loud and not realistic.
Even the author of this article mentions it as "overpowering the interior audio"
I'm not saying there should be no tire squeal, but it should be more of a scrubbing sound until you reach the traction limit of the rubber compound...then squeal like a pig into a wall if you want.

Maybe it's the pitch that's off, too much treble not enough mid in the sound replication.

I mean it has been overhauled from the beta. It sounds different now from the latest builds.

Did anyone expect pc2 to look better. Although I think pc had better track detail. Gt has the budget to afford top teir graphics. So it's more appropriate to compare it to forza 7.

Btw I'm excited for the gt guys. Two weeks left. Hope it turns out to be a great game.

Back