GT Sport Will Be at the 2017 Game Developers Conference

I read an article that was on my google pixel feed that said that the demo at GDC is brand new.

Then when asked about a release date still said "Sometime this year" by a Sony exec.

So if it's "this year" Then we should have some idea or are they just wanting to look amazing with the PS4Pro than to actually just release the game.

I read an article that was on my google pixel feed that said that the demo at GDC is brand new.

Then when asked about a release date still said "Sometime this year" by a Sony exec.

So if it's "this year" Then we should have some idea or are they just wanting to look amazing with the PS4Pro than to actually just release the game.
I think they have no problem with Pro. Regular PS4 and PSVR are causing the delay, I believe.

News from GDC and here it is Gran Turismo Sport" PS4 Pro: Demo version

GDC 2017 visitors finally can witness the breathtaking experience from "GT Sport". The demoed game received praises as it is exactly as what rumors and leaked had claimed before. The red-colored Ferrari is looking realistic and fantastic as the car blasts on the race track. Thanks to the game update that brings the HDR support and high color accuracy.

The Gran Turismo Sport for PS4 Pro is able to reflect the red color in Ferrari accurately due to the wide range of color support.

Other games that support PS4 Pro platform include "Horizon Zero Dawn" and "RiMe". "Gran Turismo Sport" will be available at a later date this year.

News from GDC and here it is Gran Turismo Sport" PS4 Pro: Demo version

GDC 2017 visitors finally can witness the breathtaking experience from "GT Sport". The demoed game received praises as it is exactly as what rumors and leaked had claimed before. The red-colored Ferrari is looking realistic and fantastic as the car blasts on the race track. Thanks to the game update that brings the HDR support and high color accuracy.

The Gran Turismo Sport for PS4 Pro is able to reflect the red color in Ferrari accurately due to the wide range of color support.

Other games that support PS4 Pro platform include "Horizon Zero Dawn" and "RiMe". "Gran Turismo Sport" will be available at a later date this year.
Ooh. Ferrari the right shade? Ooh releasing in 2017. In other words. NOTHING new at all. Impressive PD. Impressive.

I'm psychic. I knew someone would take a dump on the mention of "wide color gamut". No solid release date is a bummer. I'm going to cry about it now, just a little.

And there is more Ever since it was delayed from its Christmas 2016 launch, I've been wondering what's happened to Gran Turismo Sport. There's been nary a peep about the game so far this year – so it was to my great surprise (and indeed delight) to discover that there's a brand new demo of the game here at GDC this week.

It's a single-unit showcase that uses the same sit-in pod seen at E3 last year that features an adjustable racing seat, plus an in-built Logitech steering wheel and pedals. As I walked up to the unit and checked out the game running on its huge display, I must say I was immediately impressed. From the way that light glistens off the cars’ paintwork through the sun bouncing off the asphalt to the movement of the shadows around the beautifully rendered interior of the car as it races around the track, the game looks incredibly lifelike – and it was absolutely silky, surely-that’s-60-FPS-smooth. It’s a definite step up from what I saw at E3 last year. And that's when I noticed a small sign saying that the game was running on PS4 Pro.

No wonder it looked so good!

Slipping behind the wheel of the game, I was presented with a choice of six tracks: Brands Hatch GP and Indy, Willow Springs, a Tokyo street circuit, the full Nurburgring Nordschleife course, and a dirt track. Since I haven’t actually driven Gran Turismo Sport on dirt, I chose the latter option, and then selected a Subaru Impreza WRC rally car to drive. After that, it was a case of choosing auto or manual gears, and then switching off the driving assists – and I was ready engage in vehicular battle.

However, it didn’t take long before I started to wish that I’d chosen a regular street course to tackle: Turns out that driving off-road in Gran Turismo Sport is incredibly challenging. I entered the first corner with my foot flat to the floor, and tried to wrestle the car into a slide by lifting off the gas and giving it a bit of a Scandinavian flick so that I could drift around the bend with aplomb. That tactic usually works in most games, but here my efforts proved ham-fistedly inept: The car understeered dramatically and I plowed straight into the fence surrounding the track.

Slightly embarrassed, and trying to stifle a few curse words, I took off again, this time driving with far more caution – and that turned out to be a smart move as I carefully navigated through the next series of bends. Driving on dirt in Gran Turismo Sport feels akin to driving on ice, and I had to show a great deal of restraint with the throttle and steering inputs to hustle my car down the track while maintaining any semblance of control. However, once I’d gotten my head around the fact that I had to drive the game with a great deal of finesse, I started to make progress and catch up with my competitor. While in other race modes you can have up to 20 other cars, in rally races, it seems there’s only one opponent.

As I slowly began to get to grips with the racing proper, I started to really appreciate the depth and detail of the handling model. The track was incredibly bumpy, and I could really feel the suspension working to keep the Impreza planted. Driving under these conditions just felt incredibly realistic and involving, and it’s going to take a lot of practice to really learn the ropes. And don’t forget – I was playing with a wheel. I shudder to think what it’ll be like with a controller.

Once I’d finished that race, I was able to try again – this time on the Tokyo street track with a Nissan GT-R. This narrow circuit reminded me of the old Special Stage Routes 5 and 11 from earlier games in the series. It’s basically a freeway-style course that winds its way through the city, with quite sharp elevation changes as you charge through tunnels and then up onto raised sections of the road. Needless to say, it was a far easier drive this time around, and I managed to finish the race unscathed.

Walking away from the demo, I was extremely impressed with what I experienced. As I’ve already said, the game looks jaw-dropping, with a level of detailing that puts other racers into the shade. It has that signature Gran Turismo hyper-realistic look, feeling exceptionally crisp and clean. But what really worked for me was the handing engine. It just feels so slick, smooth and detailed, with a definition that takes the feel of the game to new heights.

This certainly bodes well for the regular PS4 version. While it obviously won’t feature the same graphical fidelity of the PS4 Pro iteration, the game should play identically – and that means it’ll basically handle in the same way. I’m absolutely dying to get my hands on the game, but it seems that we’ll have to wait a while before that’s possible. When I asked when the game was likely to be released, the Sony representative said, “sometime later this year.”

Gah!

I have to say that I'm tiring of this deliberate negative spin some want to put on the "Ferrari red" comment.

We all here know the "3 years" was spent developing the wide colour spectrum.
As a result, Ferrari red can now be shown correctly, but so can all other things within that spectrum.

This clearly isn't easy to do, or else everyone would be doing it, and PD and SONY wouldn't be singing it's praises.
And I'm going to use that word, but to accurately simulate the real-life look of the vehicles and the world that surrounds them, this is clearly yet another step forward.

To continue to suggest they spent "3 years to recreate Ferrari red accurately", or that Ferrari red is the only benefit of this technology and not acknowledge what it means for the entire colour spectrum, is simply twisting the situation so some can continue to put the boots in to PD, while conveniently ignoring everything else this technology brings to the table.

I knew someone would take a dump on the mention of "wide color gamut".

I think it's just unfortunately getting a bit old. It's a nice feature, to be sure, but a minor one. Many people won't have the hardware to see it at all, and for those that do it's a nice bonus rather than a make or break feature. A bit like the astronomy in GT6. Cute, but if it's at the top of their brag list then it's not exactly super promising.

One hopes that they're saving the big guns for closer to release, but it doesn't seem that likely.

I think it's just unfortunately getting a bit old. It's a nice feature, to be sure, but a minor one. Many people won't have the hardware to see it at all, and for those that do it's a nice bonus rather than a make or break feature. A bit like the astronomy in GT6. Cute, but if it's at the top of their brag list then it's not exactly super promising.

One hopes that they're saving the big guns for closer to release, but it doesn't seem that likely.
Couldn't the same could be said for HDR?
And yet somehow that avoids the ridicule on these pages.

Sure, it's not an earth shattering inclusion, I get that.
But most of these small advances aren't.

A bit of balance and a proper discussion of the technology advancement, as opposed to the almost misleading focus on one aspect, is all I ask. 👍

USGamer
As I slowly began to get to grips with the racing proper, I started to really appreciate the depth and detail of the handling model. The track was incredibly bumpy, and I could really feel the suspension working to keep the Impreza planted. Driving under these conditions just felt incredibly realistic and involving, and it’s going to take a lot of practice to really learn the ropes. And don’t forget – I was playing with a wheel. I shudder to think what it’ll be like with a controller.

Uh-oh :(

Sweet baby Jesus, they've only got Scuderia Red down for the Ferraris. I think I'll be exploding very soon at this incredibly exciting bit of news! You guys at PD are something speciale. Keep up the good work!!

Turns out that driving off-road in Gran Turismo Sport is incredibly challenging. I entered the first corner with my foot flat to the floor, and tried to wrestle the car into a slide by lifting off the gas and giving it a bit of a Scandinavian flick so that I could drift around the bend with aplomb. That tactic usually works in most games, but here my efforts proved ham-fistedly inept: The car understeered dramatically and I plowed straight into the fence surrounding the track.
Weight transfer...concerning.

".. a bit of Scaninavian flick.." I hope this explains the understeer. :nervous:
Anyway, as a PS4 Pro owner I'm so thrilled reading your expressions! 👍

And there is more Ever since it was delayed from its Christmas 2016 launch, I've been wondering what's happened to Gran Turismo Sport. There's been nary a peep about the game so far this year – so it was to my great surprise (and indeed delight) to discover that there's a brand new demo of the game here at GDC this week.

It's a single-unit showcase that uses the same sit-in pod seen at E3 last year that features an adjustable racing seat, plus an in-built Logitech steering wheel and pedals. As I walked up to the unit and checked out the game running on its huge display, I must say I was immediately impressed. From the way that light glistens off the cars’ paintwork through the sun bouncing off the asphalt to the movement of the shadows around the beautifully rendered interior of the car as it races around the track, the game looks incredibly lifelike – and it was absolutely silky, surely-that’s-60-FPS-smooth. It’s a definite step up from what I saw at E3 last year. And that's when I noticed a small sign saying that the game was running on PS4 Pro.

No wonder it looked so good!

Slipping behind the wheel of the game, I was presented with a choice of six tracks: Brands Hatch GP and Indy, Willow Springs, a Tokyo street circuit, the full Nurburgring Nordschleife course, and a dirt track. Since I haven’t actually driven Gran Turismo Sport on dirt, I chose the latter option, and then selected a Subaru Impreza WRC rally car to drive. After that, it was a case of choosing auto or manual gears, and then switching off the driving assists – and I was ready engage in vehicular battle.

However, it didn’t take long before I started to wish that I’d chosen a regular street course to tackle: Turns out that driving off-road in Gran Turismo Sport is incredibly challenging. I entered the first corner with my foot flat to the floor, and tried to wrestle the car into a slide by lifting off the gas and giving it a bit of a Scandinavian flick so that I could drift around the bend with aplomb. That tactic usually works in most games, but here my efforts proved ham-fistedly inept: The car understeered dramatically and I plowed straight into the fence surrounding the track.

Slightly embarrassed, and trying to stifle a few curse words, I took off again, this time driving with far more caution – and that turned out to be a smart move as I carefully navigated through the next series of bends. Driving on dirt in Gran Turismo Sport feels akin to driving on ice, and I had to show a great deal of restraint with the throttle and steering inputs to hustle my car down the track while maintaining any semblance of control. However, once I’d gotten my head around the fact that I had to drive the game with a great deal of finesse, I started to make progress and catch up with my competitor. While in other race modes you can have up to 20 other cars, in rally races, it seems there’s only one opponent.

Once I’d finished that race, I was able to try again – this time on the Tokyo street track with a Nissan GT-R. This narrow circuit reminded me of the old Special Stage Routes 5 and 11 from earlier games in the series. It’s basically a freeway-style course that winds its way through the city, with quite sharp elevation changes as you charge through tunnels and then up onto raised sections of the road. Needless to say, it was a far easier drive this time around, and I managed to finish the race unscathed.

Walking away from the demo, I was extremely impressed with what I experienced. As I’ve already said, the game looks jaw-dropping, with a level of detailing that puts other racers into the shade. It has that signature Gran Turismo hyper-realistic look, feeling exceptionally crisp and clean. But what really worked for me was the handing engine. It just feels so slick, smooth and detailed, with a definition that takes the feel of the game to new heights.

This certainly bodes well for the regular PS4 version. While it obviously won’t feature the same graphical fidelity of the PS4 Pro iteration, the game should play identically – and that means it’ll basically handle in the same way. I’m absolutely dying to get my hands on the game, but it seems that we’ll have to wait a while before that’s possible. When I asked when the game was likely to be released, the Sony representative said, “sometime later this year.”

Gah!

So what you are saying is that if you want the best looking graphics for this game, you need to buy the latest PS4 Pro and a new 4K tv right?

Now we are talking about a total package of estimating $2000.

So what you are saying is that if you want the best looking graphics for this game, you need to buy the latest PS4 Pro and a new 4K tv right?

Now we are talking about a total package of estimating $2000.

Technically he isn't saying that: that's a copy/paste from an article, he just didn't bother explaining that.

Weight transfer...concerning.
*shrug*

We have no idea what he actually did. I'm reasonably skeptical of GT Sport too, but I'm not putting much stock in the thoughts on the physics without a lot more information (at the bare minimum, a video of both the rig and the game itself, and even then it's far from conclusive).

Couldn't the same could be said for HDR?
And yet somehow that avoids the ridicule on these pages.

Sure, it's not an earth shattering inclusion, I get that.
But most of these small advances aren't.

A bit of balance and a proper discussion of the technology advancement, as opposed to the almost misleading focus on one aspect, is all I ask. 👍

The 'Ferrari red' is just they example they've used to explain the wide colour gamut feature, so it's just an easy way of referring to it, whilst also poking a bit of fun at it.

As Imari hinted at, the fact they're touting this as such an important* feature at this point isn't exactly encouraging.

It's true that it'll only make a difference on displays that can cope with it, and best of all, even on those displays, it'll only look more realistic compared to if the actual car was there in real life... If it was compared to the existing digital content available for colour comparison, (let's say all of the pictures, youtube videos etc. of the real cars) will not be in this wider colour gamut, so the game will look different. It's a feature nobody has asked for, nobody really needs, and not many people will even notice. And yet here it is being proudly shown around, when things that their customers to want, things like day/night cycles, weather, better audio, better AI, better collision physics, damage, no more concrete tape barriers etc. are all absent.

*I'm inferring its importance based on the fact it's one of few features they've mentioned, and as such they consider it more important than others. Maybe they're deliberately teasing us, but historically PD proudly boast about their upcoming features, with little left as a surprise extra when the game releases. Other than missing features of course ;)

This clearly isn't easy to do, or else everyone would be doing it, and PD and SONY wouldn't be singing it's praises.

Opting for a different colour space is nothing exceptional, many industries do. Wider colour spaces (compared to Rec.709/sRGB) have been used for years in many other digital imaging processes. Upcoming (SU)HDTV's will incrementally cover Rec.2020 as technology evolves and allows to generate the required primaries. Currently however, the top crop of 2017 displays barely reach full P3 coverage. There are a few good reasons why other content creators stick to more sensible technical options wherever HDR is concerned, sure laziness/inability is not one of them.

And I'm going to use that word, but to accurately simulate the real-life look of the vehicles and the world that surrounds them, this is clearly yet another step forward.

To continue to suggest they spent "3 years to recreate Ferrari red accurately", or that Ferrari red is the only benefit of this technology and not acknowledge what it means for the entire colour spectrum, is simply twisting the situation so some can continue to put the boots in to PD, while conveniently ignoring everything else this technology brings to the table.

By the way that "superior accuracy" will be mostly lost in the displaying process I'm afraid.

@Sharpie Guess the Logitech wheel was a G29, could you try the realtime adjustments dials? Where they functional?

*shrug*

We have no idea what he actually did. I'm reasonably skeptical of GT Sport too, but I'm not putting much stock in the thoughts on the physics without a lot more information (at the bare minimum, a video of both the rig and the game itself, and even then it's far from conclusive).
Of course, that's why it would be in the concerning column. Something I'll remember a year or two from now when the game releases and weight transfer is an issue:sly:

I have to say that I'm tiring of this deliberate negative spin some want to put on the "Ferrari red" comment.

We all here know the "3 years" was spent developing the wide colour spectrum.
As a result, Ferrari red can now be shown correctly, but so can all other things within that spectrum.

Completely miss the point much? Let me see, We can make the Ferrari the right colour. That's NEW is it? Or have we heard that all ready? See - NOTHING NEW.

Yeah, car models are looking good. But the tracks...Oh. Lifeless.
Not simply lifeless but lifeless at 4K with HDR. I don't think the Tokyo track will receive a big overhaul. I'd like to be wrong but it's the new Poly tracks since GT5. Lifeless but also boring, the scenery of the new rally track is lazy IMO when compared to the Tahiti tracks. The new Tokyo track (as a graphical showcase) is a joke in comparison to SSR11.

Tokyo is one (ok maybe two layouts) track. Does that mean every track is going to be lifeless? I would think not. There's not many here who have even played the game but still pass judgement on these things as if that's what were going to get. I don't think GTS will be the best racing game, with the best tracks but the slagging it gets for the Tokyo track is getting kinda repetitive :lol:

Tokyo is one (ok maybe two layouts) track. Does that mean every track is going to be lifeless? I would think not. There's not many here who have even played the game but still pass judgement on these things as if that's what were going to get. I don't think GTS will be the best racing game, with the best tracks but the slagging it gets for the Tokyo track is getting kinda repetitive :lol:
You're right, it's still a WIP. Sorry, I don't know how to explain this. In a few words :
pre HD era : poor resolution but many trackside objects and road marks
HD era : high resolution but very few trackside objects and road marks.

Back