GT Sport Will Be at the 2017 Game Developers Conference

Couldn't the same could be said for HDR?
And yet somehow that avoids the ridicule on these pages.

Er, does it? I thought that the accurate colours and HDR were both byproducts of implementing BT.2020. To ridicule one is to ridicule the other, as far as it goes.

As far as balance and discussion of the technology "advance", what's to discuss? They implemented a wider colour space, in the specific form of a publically available standard that has been available since 2012. Good for them.

Is there more to discuss? It seems like marketing self-pleasure to me.

This clearly isn't easy to do, or else everyone would be doing it, and PD and SONY wouldn't be singing it's praises.

Let's be honest, HDR has only recently become available on TVs at prices that don't make most people boggle. Despite that, there's more games than you'd think that support it. GTS is far from the only one.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/these-are-all-the-ps4-and-xbox-one-games-that-support-hdr-play

Xbox One S HDR-compatible games
Thanks to a handy cheatsheet Tweeted by Microsoft big-wig Aaron Greenberg, these are all the Xbox One S-friendly HDR games:
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Forza Horizon 3
  • Gears of War 4
  • Hitman
  • NBA 2K17
  • Pure Chess Ultra
  • World of Tanks
Coming 2017
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Recore
  • Scalebound
PS4 Pro HDR-compatible games

Although a lot of PS4 games have bumped their resolution and frame rates to fall in line with the PS4 Pro’s newly enhanced capabilities, HDR content has been a little bit more restricted. According to Arstechnica, however, this lot will give better colours:
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Hustle Kings
  • Infamous First Light
  • Infamous Second Son
  • The Last of Us: Remastered (and Left Behind DLC)
  • Mantis Burn Racing (HDR support coming soon)
  • NBA 2K17
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • The Witness (HDR support coming soon)
  • World of Tanks
Coming 2017
  • Gran Turismo Sport
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • Days Gone

I'd say at this point that yeah, pretty much all the other big developers are doing it or trying to. Yeah, it's probably not that hard (simply based on how colour rendering works), and probably the only reason devs weren't doing it before is that there's no point developing features that the customer doesn't have the hardware to use (*cough*GPSvisualiser*cough*).

HDR is great. I'm glad they're doing it. It is becoming a standard feature, and it's good that they're not going to be behind the curve on this. Last year they might even have been one of the first to release an HDR game. In 2015 they definitely would have been one of the first, probably the first. In 2017, it's just not that big a deal. Sorry.

And as I said above, it's a nice but minor feature, and if they can't find better things to headline their bumf then that's not real great. pCARS 2 will have HDR support*, but you'd hardly know it because they have their track list, fancy weather and live track system to talk about which are far more exciting to the average consumer.

*It actually doesn't specify whether it's PC or console when it says it, but I think until told otherwise it's probably a fair assumption that HDR makes it in. It tends not to be particularly hardware heavy, and if they're implementing it for PC then they might as well throw it on console as well.

You're right, it's still a WIP. Sorry, I don't know how to explain this. In a few words :
pre HD era : poor resolution but many trackside objects and road marks
HD era : high resolution but very few trackside objects and road marks.
On one track? Or you talking about every track weve seen? Because that Oval looks pretty lively, even for an oval track which aren't very exciting to begin with imo.

On one track? Or you talking about every track weve seen? Because that Oval looks pretty lively, even for an oval track which aren't very exciting to begin with imo.
Races on short ovals are more exciting than they sound. Well, it sounds pretty good too. They stay within 3rd and 4th or 2nd. It's high pressure stuff.

Of course, that's why it would be in the concerning column. Something I'll remember a year or two from now when the game releases and weight transfer is an issue:sly:

Why so optimistic? :P

The irony of questioning someone's comments based on one circuit... only to bring up a lone circuit that has any atmosphere.

Yeah, we still have to see the other tracks after the same half-dozen for the past year, but a total of one track has any atmosphere right now. That's not a great ratio so far.

Hopefully things begin to perk up soon...

Why so optimistic? :P

The irony of questioning someone's comments based on one circuit... only to bring up a lone circuit that has any atmosphere.

Yeah, we still have to see the other tracks after the same half-dozen for the past year, but a total of one track has any atmosphere right now. That's not a great ratio so far.

Hopefully things begin to perk up soon...
Is there a problem with what I said? I asked if he was speaking of one track or all the one's weve seen. Then brought up that the oval track has some 'atmosphere' to it even though you wouldn't expect much from an oval. I don't know about Brands Hatch or Nurburgring not having trackside objects. Willow Springs is in the middle of the desert but at least PD added hot air balloons! :sly:

SSR5 : GT3 vs GT6 (that stiff camera in GT6...) The track is empty in GT6, no trackside objects.

@Soundtrack and @Imari
Thanks for the heads up with that info. 👍

Considering Kaz did a tech presentation titled "Technical Vision for Gran Turismo on PS4 (Pro) at that event in Nov., it's a shame it wasn't made available on their Youtube or Vimeo channels.
Just another thing on the list of things they could/should have done I guess. :irked:

@Tired Tyres
My post was generic and not pointed at any particular post, so I don't think I "missed" anything.

But I agree.
From what I've seen, there was nothing new shown at GDC 17.

@Soundtrack and @Imari
Thanks for the heads up with that info. 👍

Considering Kaz did a tech presentation titled "Technical Vision for Gran Turismo on PS4 (Pro) at that event in Nov., it's a shame it wasn't made available on their Youtube or Vimeo channels.
Just another thing on the list of things they could/should have done I guess. :irked:

@Tired Tyres
My post was generic and not pointed at any particular post, so I don't think I "missed" anything.

But I agree.
From what I've seen, there was nothing new shown at GDC 17.
Good morning. 👍 it's amazing what a good night's sleep does for me. That's Generation X for you.

What's puzzling is when they go from show to show and only show the same stuff. They must know most shows end up streamed and all of them get talked about online. They should reveal something new at each show even if it's just one car or track location.

Good morning. 👍 it's amazing what a good night's sleep does for me. That's Generation X for you.

What's puzzling is when they go from show to show and only show the same stuff. They must know most shows end up streamed and all of them get talked about online. They should reveal something new at each show even if it's just one car or track location.
Morning. :)

Yeh, I guess it's great for all these people in different countries to see or play the game in person.
But as you say, for those of us watching it unfold via the internet, it becomes the "same old" fairly quickly.

They should reveal something new at each show even if it's just one car or track location.

Or just start going into more technical depth about the things that they have shown, if they haven't got anything new they want to put out. It's not super easy with the things that they have so far as a lot of them are pretty standard staples of the genre, but I can think of at least a few topics that would probably be good for at least a ten minute TED talk type thing or a quick Youtube video.

-Talk about the process of designing a fantasy track, walk through how they decided on the layout, setting, and so on for a specific example like Fisherman's Ranch.
-Talk about the specifics that are involved in turning a location into a scape, with a walkthrough of a specific example.
-Go through their sound recording process, because everyone would be interested, and perhaps compare one real car with one fantasy VGT and how the sounds were made and processed.
-Talk about lighting and how important it is to cars, with some references to exactly what advances they've got going on, how they work and why they make a difference.
-Talk about advances in the physics model, maybe focusing on a single area like tyres or aero and explain what the differences are to GT6 and why they matter.
-Talk about matchmaking and online connections and the difficulties involved and how they intend to approach them. Most multiplayer devs can go on about this stuff for weeks because it's so critical and so difficult to really nail.

I think that there's plenty that they could share that would really invigorate the audience, both hardcore and casual, and demonstrate to the consumers that have doubts that they really do know their stuff and that they're making an incredible game. They don't have to give away any information about content that isn't available already, and they don't need to give away any information about tech that wouldn't have been obvious to anyone familiar with the field who plays the game once it's out. But I think making the effort to communicate and engage would do them a lot of good.

Or just start going into more technical depth about the things that they have shown, if they haven't got anything new they want to put out. It's not super easy with the things that they have so far as a lot of them are pretty standard staples of the genre, but I can think of at least a few topics that would probably be good for at least a ten minute TED talk type thing or a quick Youtube video.

-Talk about the process of designing a fantasy track, walk through how they decided on the layout, setting, and so on for a specific example like Fisherman's Ranch.
-Talk about the specifics that are involved in turning a location into a scape, with a walkthrough of a specific example.
-Go through their sound recording process, because everyone would be interested, and perhaps compare one real car with one fantasy VGT and how the sounds were made and processed.
-Talk about lighting and how important it is to cars, with some references to exactly what advances they've got going on, how they work and why they make a difference.
-Talk about advances in the physics model, maybe focusing on a single area like tyres or aero and explain what the differences are to GT6 and why they matter.
-Talk about matchmaking and online connections and the difficulties involved and how they intend to approach them. Most multiplayer devs can go on about this stuff for weeks because it's so critical and so difficult to really nail.

I think that there's plenty that they could share that would really invigorate the audience, both hardcore and casual, and demonstrate to the consumers that have doubts that they really do know their stuff and that they're making an incredible game. They don't have to give away any information about content that isn't available already, and they don't need to give away any information about tech that wouldn't have been obvious to anyone familiar with the field who plays the game once it's out. But I think making the effort to communicate and engage would do them a lot of good.
Absolutely. 👍

Lots of social media opportunities set-up for them to use, but almost all lie dormant. :(

It's going to be a real poop show when GTS releases......and it will only run on PS4 Pro. And if you think Sony or any other business is not capable of stabbing customers in the gut like that...think again.

Actually, I do think GTS (IF IT RELEASES) will be compatible with PS4. But you can bet the ranch it was developed on and for the PS PRO. And I think the VR aspect of GTS will be aimed at the PS PRO and not the PS4. The PS4 was an afterthought in the eyes of Sport developers.

My new book, "I Was A GT Fanboy", should be in stores later this year. hahahahahahah.....JK.
GT Sport better blow some minds or I'm afraid it's gonna get lost in the sea of great racing games that have emerged lately. GT was COCK-O-THE-WALK for years but, times are changing.
I want Polyphony to hit it outa the park & put GT back on top, but realistically...I'm not optimistic.
gran-turismo-4-ps2-015.jpg

Latest Posts

Back