GT Sport will have damage

• Thread starter Rob-F1-Fan
  • 121 comments
No dynamic weather is kind of odd, as for damage I'll believe it when I see it, GT6 technically had damage.

No dynamic weather is kind of odd, as for damage I'll believe it when I see it, GT6 technically had damage.

Maybe the weather isn't ready to show yet? It can have a big impact on frame rates and potentially needs quite a bit of optimisation.

Edit: just seen the confirmation of no dynamic weather. Thats a great shame. Having the weather changing dynamically on all tracks in Project Cars adds so much atmosphere, particularly in longer races.

Last edited:
If that's true and 'a damage model is locked in there, but they didn't release it yet', it would be awkward that they aren't sure enough to show it off already only 6 months prior to release. It would truly be something to brag about and show to the public, seeing it took them 16 years to come up with this feature.

It surely would have been mentioned in the presentation, but it wasn't?

If that's true and 'a damage model is locked in there, but they didn't release it yet', it would be awkward that they aren't sure enough to show it off already only 6 months prior to release. It would truly be something to brag about and show to the public, seeing it took them 16 years to come up with this feature.

Perhaps damage was inaccessible in that build?
Perhaps it was switched off intentionally?
If available, it may have been turned off for the purpose of the racing exhibit.
Better to have a full field with some bump and grind, than half the field falling out the back damaged.

I'm not sure the lack of bragging or mention in the presentation is much to go by.
The same could be said for penalties, or the new flag system.

It's shaping up that E3 will offer more of these details.
Well at least, I certainly hope so.

In today's Q&A, (or yesterday as it is now), Kaz was asked specifically if damage would come back to GT and he said yes. However, from memory, he said that it wasn't a priority for him (or words to that effect). To be honest, his reply to the question (at least what was said by Translator-San) indicated to me that you shouldn't expect anything major in relation to upgrades to damage in GT Sport. I think if there was going to be anything significantly different to the damage in GT6 his answer to the question would have been quite different. But then, until we see the final game, no one really knows. But it's really not a priority to Kaz for sure.

Usually developers do not show everything on beta build 💡

That is how it works. DC incredible weather system came 1year after launch, they could have made it on release but that would not make good impression. Definitely the game would have got attention if everything was on release but that is how it works.

There is no need for Polyphony to show everything in this event. I am surprised they announced the release date. I think E3, Gamescom or Paris Games Week, Tokyo Game show etc. They need to build up to the release. Many people think this is the final game already :confused:

In today's Q&A, (or yesterday as it is now), Kaz was asked specifically if damage would come back to GT and he said yes. However, from memory, he said that it wasn't a priority for him (or words to that effect). To be honest, his reply to the question (at least what was said by Translator-San) indicated to me that you shouldn't expect anything major in relation to upgrades to damage in GT Sport. I think if there was going to be anything significantly different to the damage in GT6 his answer to the question would have been quite different. But then, until we see the final game, no one really knows. But it's really not a priority to Kaz for sure.

Doesnt have to be a priority. Just dont neglect it like you have for the past 20 years.

Perhaps damage was inaccessible in that build?
Perhaps it was switched off intentionally?
If available, it may have been turned off for the purpose of the racing exhibit.
Better to have a full field with some bump and grind, than half the field falling out the back damaged.

I'm not sure the lack of bragging or mention in the presentation is much to go by.
The same could be said for penalties, or the new flag system.

It's shaping up that E3 will offer more of these details.
Well at least, I certainly hope so.
Seeing people bouncing of each other like they were driving empty refrigerators sure didn't help their case. People would have been way more impressed to see something that looks like a decent collision system and a basic form of damage. Also how on earth can you promote your game as a serious E sports competition based on real life motorsports, when people taking part in this event didn't have to worry about damaging their cars? That goes beyond me...

Usually developers do not show everything on beta build 💡

That is how it works. DC incredible weather system came 1year after launch, they could have made it on release but that would not make good impression. Definitely the game would have got attention if everything was on release but that is how it works.

There is no need for Polyphony to show everything in this event. I am surprised they announced the release date. I think E3, Gamescom or Paris Games Week, Tokyo Game show etc. They need to build up to the release. Many people think this is the final game already :confused:
You have to look at Kaz's track record. He barely manages to include everything that was shown off in his pre launch presentations, and when he states things like "it's in the works" or "we are planning to" during interviews, it usually never happens.

Seeing people bouncing of each other like they were driving empty refrigerators sure didn't help their case. People would have been way more impressed to see something that looks like a decent collision system and a basic form of damage. Also how on earth can you promote your game as a serious E sports competition based on real life motorsports, when people taking part in this event didn't have to worry about damaging their cars? That goes beyond me...

Yes, I agree.
I was simply putting forward a scenario or two as to why we didn't see it.

Personally, damage and penalties would be the way to go.
These guys were meant to be some of the worlds top drivers after all.

And while it was great to see the flag system in the first lap, it lost me as to where it went after that.

Again, I hope/assume those functions are there.
And I wait for E3 to see more.

You have to look at Kaz's track record. He barely manages to include everything that was shown off in his pre launch presentations, and when he states things like "it's in the works" or "we are planning to" during interviews, it usually never happens.

Huh, I gave DC as a real example. Most games these days have day1 patch too. Pcars I think had more than 10updates with in a year, DC and other games too. GTS is not even released and you are complaining about the game in beta stage :odd:

I Hope it's not just Scratches and Dents like in GT6 or Deformations like in GT5, If they can't make the damage to be like in Project CARS or NFS Shift, parts detaching and small deformations are ok.

This happened.
IMG_20170121_094457.jpg

PCars. Hockenheim GP. Ginetta G40 Junior.
Using cockpit view, it always surprises me what the car looks like, when I view the replay. I thought I just had a wheel missing.

I still can't see GT having this level of damage. This would actually help player's racing etiquette.

This happened.

:lol:

...Hopefully, you still have the warranty papers with you... I mean, that's some shoddy build quality on display there.

All joking aside, that kind of vehicle damage, to me, is just strange and unnatural. I mean, look how catastrophic it is, yet how come the windshield is perfectly fine? How come the suspension linkages are not bent out of shape? Looks like someone just went and stole the body parts rather than a result of a careless driving.

If the damage model was going to be anything special, the game would have a good collision model in it, which it doesn't. It's pretty clear from all the videos that the collision model is practically identical to GT6's bumper cars model. People want damage so badly, but the real important thing is a realistic collision model. Having the car respond realistically to impacts makes a far bigger difference to the realism than realistic looking damage. Both would be excellent, but if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on the collision being identical to GT6, and the damage being more or less the same as GT6 also.

Edit: Not "hating" on the game, before the fanboys jump on me. Not all racing games need realistic damage (AC's damage model is a joke, and that's a brilliant sim in many other areas). I'm just being realistic about my expectations. Too many people get their hopes up before every single GT game, expecting massive revolutions with each version, and then end up disappointed when the game comes out and is just a small evolution.

If the damage model was going to be anything special, the game would have a good collision model in it, which it doesn't. It's pretty clear from all the videos that the collision model is practically identical to GT6's bumper cars model. People want damage so badly, but the real important thing is a realistic collision model. Having the car respond realistically to impacts makes a far bigger difference to the realism than realistic looking damage. Both would be excellent, but if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on the collision being identical to GT6, and the damage being more or less the same as GT6 also.

Edit: Not "hating" on the game, before the fanboys jump on me. Not all racing games need realistic damage (AC's damage model is a joke, and that's a brilliant sim in many other areas). I'm just being realistic about my expectations. Too many people get their hopes up before every single GT game, expecting massive revolutions with each version, and then end up disappointed when the game comes out and is just a small evolution.
Hater:mad::mad::sly:.

Too right. IMO the collision physics is by far the most important thing in a simulation. Visual damage can be cosmetic and that's more than enough for me. I'd rather they not reserve processing power for mass visual damage and use it on things that actually matter during the 99..5% of the time your car isn't damaged.

:lol:

...Hopefully, you still have the warranty papers with you... I mean, that's some shoddy build quality on display there.

All joking aside, that kind of vehicle damage, to me, is just strange and unnatural. I mean, look how catastrophic it is, yet how come the windshield is perfectly fine? How come the suspension linkages are not bent out of shape? Looks like someone just went and stole the body parts rather than a result of a careless driving.
Multi car collision. When I spun, I got hit by 3 cars. Crazy.

Some collisions see just a wheel come off. I've had my rear bumper and hatch destroyed, ripped off, on my Sierra. I guess depends on the angle of collision.

Back